As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm going to say you never played Sam and Max season 3

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i have a soft spot for all the telltale sam and maxes

not every episode is great, but they've got a lot of fun going on, and season 3 is definitely really improved by all the different injokes and callbacks

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm going to say you never played Sam and Max season 3

I didn't play season 1, but I did play 2 and 3.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Monkey Island was also extremely good, in my opinion. Lots of great gags and decent puzzles.

Also, when every other company was faltering at "episodic content" TT kept on perfecting it. They didn't give up, and the work was better for it. If you play all of Sam and Max there are hilarious references throughout.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Star Citizen
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Monkey Island was also extremely good, in my opinion. Lots of great gags and decent puzzles.

Also, when every other company was faltering at "episodic content" TT kept on perfecting it. They didn't give up, and the work was better for it. If you play all of Sam and Max there are hilarious references throughout.

Given Telltale imploded due to not making enough money on their games, did they really perfect it?

Undead Scottsman on
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ

Given Telltale imploded due to not making enough money on their games, did they really perfect it?

I don't know how you can read any of the myriad articles about how Telltale was mismanaged and conclude the business model was the chief problem

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Star Citizen

I don't know how you can read any of the myriad articles about how Telltale was mismanaged and conclude the business model was the chief problem

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply being episodic was the chief problem. I just don't think they got anywhere near "perfecting it."

DayZ

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply being episodic was the chief problem. I just don't think they got anywhere near "perfecting it."

Sure. I do think they got very good at pacing their story and content to the model and were fairly consistent in setting realistic expectations of what to expect from an episode, though, which is about all I can ask.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I would perhaps argue that IOI stole the crown at the last minute, but Telltale was doing pretty well for a long time with a release model that loads of other studios tried and utterly failed at.

Star Citizen
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I would perhaps argue that IOI stole the crown at the last minute, but Telltale was doing pretty well for a long time with a release model that loads of other studios tried and utterly failed at.

I'd be curious how well Hitman did given they dropped the episodic thing for the sequel.

Then again Hitman 2 is apparently not doing well, so who knows.

Hard to say, it's an entirely different publisher so honestly the choice to move to a full release rather than episodic might not even have anything to do with prior sales numbers.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    man when that third half life episode hits

just you wait guys

Star Citizen
    Brolo wrote: »

just you wait guys

Technically an indie dev!

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Man

I'm still sad about HL3

I'm sad about Valve in general in 2018

I feel like it's impossible to see the company who made Portal in them anymore

Star Citizen
    Man

I'm still sad about HL3

Today is the 20th anniversary of Half-Life 1, if you want the knife twisted a bit more.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Telltale's successes seemed to be the exception to the rule. Most episodic games come out late (if they ever come out). Telltale was much better than other developers at keeping their schedule but they still had issues (and it came at a cost to the dev teams with continuous crunch time). And despite having critically acclaimed games, only two of their Walking Dead style games were actual financial successes (Walking Dead and Minecraft). Both of which were huge properties to begin with (although it'd be unfair to say that TT's work wasn't the main selling point, as Activision showed when their Walking Dead game flopped hard).

I'm not sure if you could say that Telltale kept perfecting it when one of the main complaints about the later games was that they felt stale and were just reusing the same game mechanics from the Walking Dead. Maybe you could say that they perfected it, but not that they were continually perfecting it.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    hq4VYgH.gif

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    DayZ
    They had enough of an success with the financial aspect of their games, to successfully pitch to numerous intellectual properties.
    These are games they've since had cancel, because of the bankruptcy.

It looks less of an issue with their games being a financial success,
    and more that Telltale blew their budget on a shareholder aligned project that was ultimately dropped.

Same shareholders who ousted the CEO and co-founder of the company in 2017,
    and set up a guy was willing to clean house on their whim when the project was canceled.

We are going to see more definitive information in the resulting court cases, and investigative reporting,
    but it sounds like capitalism killed the company more than lack of success at the market.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Dontnod has been doing very well with episodic releases, too

6F32U1X.png
    DayZ
    They had enough of an success with the financial aspect of their games, to successfully pitch to numerous intellectual properties.
    These are games they've since had cancel, because of the bankruptcy.

It looks less of an issue with their games being a financial success,
    and more that Telltale blew their budget on a shareholder aligned project that was ultimately dropped.

Same shareholders who ousted the CEO and co-founder of the company in 2017,
    and set up a guy was willing to clean house on their whim when the project was canceled.

We are going to see more definitive information in the resulting court cases, and investigative reporting,
    but it sounds like capitalism killed the company more than lack of success at the market.

Well also their games underperformed both financially and critically in large part because the upper management refused to allow growth or innovation in development, instead insisting on stamping out project after project following the exact same template, and also continually got in the way of the teams being able to do even a competent job of that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Dontnod has been doing very well with episodic releases, too

Also there are indie developers like Night School and Campo Santo that were created by people who didn't want to grind away in TTG's licensed game mines.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Man

I'm still sad about HL3

Today is the 20th anniversary of Half-Life 1, if you want the knife twisted a bit more.

Well if you want some good news

https://youtu.be/TAIJich73NY

X22wmuF.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Man

I'm still sad about HL3

Sweet cunting fuck, no wonder they've taken so long. That looks goddamned amazing

JtgVX0H.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Man

I'm still sad about HL3

Holy crap that looks amazing

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Brolo wrote: »

just you wait guys

This but unironically for Kentucky Route Zero Act V

IKknkhU.gif
    The wait for Act V was Act V all along

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    the real act V was the metacommentary about appreciating the value of friendship we read along the way

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Spy Party
    Enter The Gungeon is ending development and the team at Dodge Roll has canceled the upcoming paid expansion. There will be one more big update most likely before the end of the year including a new playable character plus new weapons, items, and synergies along with (some drastically needed on Switch) performance improvements.
    It's not due to financial difficulty or anything of the sort, the team is just burned out and any major work for the game is going to require massive amounts of work in that every addition has to work with and not break every other gun, item, boss, etc. They want to move on and have just begun work on their next game.

You can read the full announcement here: https://www.reddit.com/r/EnterTheGungeon/comments/9ykpgc/once_more_into_the_breach_an_update_on_gungeon/

Crippl3 on
    Spy Party
    how come nobody told me Thumper is about 150% scarier in VR

that boss head is HUGE!

6F32U1X.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Star Citizen
    I'm hoping the Occulus goes on sale over black Friday. I want me some vr and don't need roomscale.

I want to play Beat Saber and Thumoer real bad.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    My friend lent me his VR for the week. VR is rad. Showed it too my mum. Which is just the best. Most gaming related stuff is pretty hard to explain to non-gamers but VR is one of those things that people get instantly. She ended up playing a game of ping pong with a European who kept saying "holy shit" over and over. It must have been his first time too.

Id only set it up for standing VR so of course she was running back and forth while I desperately tried to stop her from running into the furniture.

I've found there's a big difference between great and ok VR. Kinda like the difference between real 3D films and fake 3d films. The steam home room is great, it instantly feels like another reality, and The Lab demo game demos VR well. But a game like subnautuca, while pretty, is not quite on the same level.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    can anyone recommend me some stellaris mods, specifically in the vein of empire customization mods? it's kind of a tough thing to google for and the steam workshop interface isn't helping much. i just got pretty much all the dlc since it's on sale and i wanna make something new and interesting

edit: i should also be clear in saying that i don't care a lick about game balance or whatever, i play these types of games strictly for the roleplaying and building aspects, and i also totally don't care about steam achievements.

Metzger Meister on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    I don't have a clue about stellaris modding but I think some people in the stellaris thread in G&T do: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/217996/stellaris-4x-grand-strategy-and-a-cherryh-on-top-2-0-releases-this-week-feb-22/p56

BahamutZERO.gif
    Spy Party
    Moss is a hell of a thing

Watching regular footage of it really doesn't sell it well enough, playing that in VR is an extremely immersive beautiful diorama that is so very charming

6F32U1X.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    There's a planet called Covfefe. Suddenly I am become Darth Malak

https://youtu.be/XpqxUdELpO0

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Stellaris is a game I love to hear Austin Walker talk about but have very little.fun playing myself.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    That system name showing up in every game of Stellaris is a small part of why I stopped playing. Just a bunch of little things that added up over time.

DayZ
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Moss is a hell of a thing

Watching regular footage of it really doesn't sell it well enough, playing that in VR is an extremely immersive beautiful diorama that is so very charming

I've watched moss in real life and it's not that interesting, I'm not sure what VR brings to the table

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    Stellaris is probably my top favorite game rn

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.