As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Speaking of leveling, what's a good XP source anyway? I'm still slumming around at level 13.

• KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Thats good info, still a moronic economy system that just makes no sense though.

... I just logged in and the CAMP I spent a decent amount of time making yesterday is just gone without a trace.

Thats super.

Did someone set up camp at your spot on your new server?

Good news! You're camp is likely automatically stored with all your buildings / work benches, whatever able to be replaced without using additional materials. Bad news! placed a stored building bigger that 2x2 foundation tiles is often almost impossible forcing you to scrap the plan into componet parts and place it b\piece by piece again. At least it wont cost you more matierl even if you have to effectively rebuild it from scratch.

2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    My biggest problem with a CAMP you constantly move and cant be put down anywhere else if the design is too elaborate is - crops, I like to have a bunch.

Are there a way to plant crops on the CAMP building itself? I havent seen the placeable dirt patches in F76 that F4 had, despite looking the build plans through.

Edit: Yes, there was another CAMP built directly on the spot I’ve found to be best in the Golf Resort, so thats why mine was gone.

At least this person has good taste.

Sirialis on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Echo wrote: »
    Speaking of leveling, what's a good XP source anyway? I'm still slumming around at level 13.

Just group up with someone higher level. The mobs that spawn are based on the highest level player in your party, but honestly it makes very little difference when fighting them. It does however give exp in relation to thier level. When I was level 20ish I was getting 300+ exp per mob killing level 50 dudes.

Edit: Speaking of groups there’s no reason not to group up where possible even if your not working together. Getting extra free teleport points is good, but importantly shared perk cards don’t take up stat points, allowing really strong boosts. @Alex Wilder was sharing bloody mess max, a straight 15% damage boost to the party with no downside.

Norgoth on
    ...we should hang out.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The patch for today is 48.4 gig. WTF are you doing Bethesda.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Well redownloading the entire game each patch is certainly ONE way to make sure your patcher doesn't break.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ... well, there goes my plans to play after work today.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    edited November 2018
    Sometimes I’ll stop what I was currently doing and go to Vault 76 in my Power Armor only to greet new players and give them duplicate recipes, purified water, food, low level guns etc.

Sirialis on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Edit: nvm..

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Echo wrote: »
    ...we should hang out.

You think that’s neat? Imagine you get someone with 12 charisma.

They can share bodyguard rank 4 and give everyone (in a full group) 36 energy and physical resistance.

Or Team medic, share that so everyone stimpacks heal everyone else.

Come to think of it, there’s also a perk that heals players in your team if you flamethrower them, and one that buffs Melee and rebuffs enemies when you hit them.

There’s got to be a build there where you have your three team mates, with the bodyguard buff, being healed by your flame thrower as they Melee stuff.

• vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    I have been leveling up just from wandering around and getting into trouble and some questing here and there. Of course I'm on vacation right now so I've been playing all day almost every day since launch. I was planning on making a crafty build but since weight is so limited most of my perks have been going into inventory capacity. I went into this fairly blind and ignored most of the hype/hate and I have to say I have been really enjoying it. It's fun just being there. Anyway if anyone on PC wants to team up I'm level 32 but I'll slum with ya if you're low level. Just send me a request to the same name.

Is it possible to move your CAMP while your built items stay? Reason I'm asking is that I saw another player having his CAMP thing directly inside his house on the wooden flooring, not on the ground as you usual put it.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    s
    Is it possible to move your CAMP while your built items stay? Reason I'm asking is that I saw another player having his CAMP thing directly inside his house on the wooden flooring, not on the ground as you usual put it.

Yes. Once you have structures in place you can move your CAMP inside them. Note that it doesn’t move the build area around, just the CAMP itself.

5gsowHm.png
    Nice, I thought it was weird if you couldnt move it, since it marks the center of the build field.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Honestly, leveling just seems to come along at a good clip from just exploring and killing. I haven't been farther south than Charleston or very far east and I've still hit level 30. Most mobs are still only level 10-16. But you kill enough and you still level regularly.

edited November 2018
    Also the amount of stars on legendary creatures seems to indicate the amount of legendary effects your dropped loot gets. (I cant remember if it was the same in F4)

I've gotten a Combat Armor chestpiece with "Go into stealth on being hit by melee" + "-50% Fall Damage" + "+1 Luck" from a 3 star Legendary Supermutant.

Earlier I bought an Underarmor (like the Vault clothes) mod plan that gives +1 Str and +1 Per... It costs Ultracite to make though.

Edit: I'm 60% done with downloading the new patch, anyone know when maintenance is supposed to be done?

Sirialis on
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    It's honestly probably good the game has some glaring flaws because the loot\scavenging system is the most perfectly designed Skinner box to poke me right in the pleasure center. If it weren't for the accompanying frustrations, I'd be straight poopsocking it.

Edit: I'm 60% done with downloading the new patch, anyone know when maintenance is supposed to be done?

My launcher says servers are up, but I'm supposed to be working from home for another hour. <_<

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Heffling wrote: »
    The patch for today is 48.4 gig. WTF are you doing Bethesda.

Its 15 gigs on PC. The reason why the patch files are so large is because they use an archive system, if something in a particular archive is changed the entire thing needs to be redownloaded. Or so I've heard.

Also the amount of stars on legendary creatures seems to indicate the amount of legendary effects your dropped loot gets. (I cant remember if it was the same in F4)

I've gotten a Combat Armor chestpiece with "Go into stealth on being hit by melee" + "-50% Fall Damage" + "+1 Luck" from a 3 star Legendary Supermutant.

Earlier I bought an Underarmor (like the Vault clothes) mod plan that gives +1 Str and +1 Per... It costs Ultracite to make though.

Glassed Cavern has a rediculous amount of Ultracite.

Also, patch notes:

1.0.1.14 Patch Notes:

General:

- Performance: Several Issues have been addressed to resolve hitches during gameplay and other performance issues.
    - Stability: The Fallout 76 Game Client and Servers have received additional stability improvements.
    - Xbox: Fixed an issue that could lead to instability on certain menus.

Bug Fixes:

Art and Graphics.

- Ambient Occlusion: Placed items no longer leave behind shadow outlines after being picked up.
    Camera: The game camera now pans more smoothly when the player enters furniture.
    - Graphics: The cover of Tesla Science magazine Issue 9 no longer appears solid red on pickup, or when inspected.

Enemies.

- General: Fixed an issue in which some enemies could chase the player farther than intended.
    - Loot: Ghoul and Scorched Officers now correctly drope nuke code pieces upon being killed by a player.

C.A.M.P, Workshops, and Crafting.

- Blueprints: Fixed an issue that could cause Blueprints to break into smaller parts after logging out and back in to Fallout 76.
    - Plans: Paints applied to Power Armor during the Fallout 76 B.E.T.A. will now appear correctly on the items that were painted, and those paints can now correctly be applied to additional sets of power armor.
    - Repair: Fixed an issue that could cause an item to return to a broken state after being repaired.

Quests.

- Bureau of Tourism: The Prickett's Fort Token Dispenser can now be repaired, and players can no longer walk through it.

PVP.

- Pacifist Mode: Players with Pacifist Mode enabled who engage in PVP by contesting a Workshop owned by another player will now correctly clear any active hostile status toward other players.
    - Seek Revenge: Cap rewards will now display correctly when choosing the "Seek Revenge" respawn option after being killed by another player.
    - Seek Revenge: When targeted by another player who is seeking revenge, the reward amount will now display the correct number of Caps that can be earned by killing that player.

User Interface.

- Languages: Korean fonts will now be displayed correctly in game menus.
    - Hotkeys: The "Take Photo" hotkey can no longer be rebound and is now tied to the space bar on PC and the A button on controllers.
    - Hotkeys: Fixed an issue that could cause the "Take Snapshot" button in Photomode to display an incorrect hotkey.
    - Social: Fixed an issue that could cause players to disappear from each other's social menus if two players each sent a friend invite to one another.
    - Social: Fixed an issue that prevented newly equipped Player Icons from displaying to other players in the Social Menu.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Magazines are pretty hard to find, I've found a ton of Bobbleheads but Magazines? I've found 2.

• quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    Magazines are pretty hard to find, I've found a ton of Bobbleheads but Magazines? I've found 2.

There's a perk that causes magazines to emit a sound sort of like the enemies that carry launch codes. Even with that I've found very few magazines.

Become a Star Citizen
    Quests.

- Bureau of Tourism: The Prickett's Fort Token Dispenser can now be repaired, and players can no longer walk through it.

Oh thank god.

• Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    The real trick to power leveling is just killing mobs your level or higher. If you want to fight mobs and level the best way is to do events that spawn mobs. There are several events that spawn tons of ghouls or scorched I think the best one is at Watoga high school. Keep in mind that the level soft caps at 50. Any levels past 50 don't give you any better stats just let you choose a perk card.

Time is a flat circle
    edited November 2018
    If you have access to the silos they spawn neverending waves of robots. Good source of steel, aluminun, lead, and fusion cores too.

Also I'd argue that killing lower level mobs is actually more beneficial. You still get good exp and your weapons and armor will last a lot longer.

Edit: in the time it takes you to clear out an area of even/higher level mobs ive already moved through like two locations using just my fists, and while you're back at the base repairing your weapons and crafting ammo I'm still out there one shotting scrub mobs with my fist, then I can save all my ammo and supplies for stuff like nuke raids. Even when I have to pull out my guns (some lower level enemies are still deadly regardless) I still can last longer because I'm not having to use as many rounds to take down enemies.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    If you have access to the silos they spawn neverending waves of robots. Good source of steel, aluminun, lead, and fusion cores too.

Also I'd argue that killing lower level mobs is actually more beneficial. You still get good exp and your weapons and armor will last a lot longer.

Yeah that is a good point. I have high intelligence and all the repair perks so things rarely break and are cheap to fix. If only the over repair perks weren't bugged.

Time is a flat circle

How is this beneficial? If someone hits you in melee, they're right there. Wouldn't your stealth be pointless?

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I'm getting frustrated with my inability to ever find plans for 2-handed melee weapons or even upgraded ones I can break down to learn that way. Am I just unlucky or are they really rare?

For now I'm using a pole hook... which does the damage of a sledgehammer while weighing half as much. So that's cool, but I'd sure love to mod it up somehow.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    edited November 2018
    If you want to fight mobs and level the best way is to do events that spawn mobs.

I've found the events to be pretty fruitful. I did the one with the farmhand bots out of control a couple of times early on. Among other things, it gave me a shitload of xp and a scoped level 5 .44 pistol, when my best other weapon was an unmodded level 1 hunting rifle.

Cog on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Damn it, Bethesda. Let me play your game before I have to go to work...

Cog wrote: »

How is this beneficial? If someone hits you in melee, they're right there. Wouldn't your stealth be pointless?

When your are in stealth you are infact invisible to other players.

This includes crouching. It also removes your marker from the world map

edited November 2018

Yeah that is a good point. I have high intelligence and all the repair perks so things rarely break and are cheap to fix. If only the over repair perks weren't bugged.

Yeah with the bugs right now its pretty hard to avoid breaking weapons quickly if you're taking on any kind of difficult mobs, even with perks, and especially laser weapons.

@Echo at level 13 hit up Grafton Steel Mill and then move on to West Tek afterwards.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Kinda makes me sad. Finally a game in WV and my hometown isn't in there.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Servers are up.

Norgoth wrote: »

So it's strictly a PVP thing? Cause with NPCs, being that close would more or less immediately break your stealth.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Definitely best to build your house 2x2 or do the Bikeman thing and just have a bunch of foundations/workbenches stored and slap down what you need without building.

I have my 2x2 go up three floors with a walkway for turrets on the second level and a 4x4 proper building at the third floor for benches and such.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

So it's strictly a PVP thing? Cause with NPCs, being that close would more or less immediately break your stealth.

Nope, it's not just PVP. When it went off for me when fighting super mutants, it dropped me back into hidden for a second and I got a sneak attack off.

edited November 2018
    I'm getting frustrated with my inability to ever find plans for 2-handed melee weapons or even upgraded ones I can break down to learn that way. Am I just unlucky or are they really rare?

For now I'm using a pole hook... which does the damage of a sledgehammer while weighing half as much. So that's cool, but I'd sure love to mod it up somehow.

I have found precisely 1 plan in the wild that wasn't for CAMP building in 30 levels. For the single action revolver.

Any other weapon plans I've only gotten from vendors and exactly one from a quest. I'm almost level 30 and I can still only build the starter armor and weapons from scratch for the most part. I've never even seen a base armor set plan, even on the vendors.

Plans for weapons and armor seem to be extremely rare.

cptrugged on

Yep weapon plans seem super rare. Your best bet for mods is to scrap every weapon you find. I think supermutants are the best for two handed melee drops. So maybe run some of those events/dailies near the firing range up north or the supermutant lab thing by the radio array Rosie sends you too. Those seem to spawn waves of supermutants. For the base recipes I think you just have to get lucky at a vendor or random world spawn/drop.

I also like visiting the bandit camp by top of the world. There is like an outdoor market that has crafting benches where recipes spawn.

Time is a flat circle
    edited November 2018
    Jesus christ.

I just logged on and by the time I was able to move I was blown up by 4 cars because 3 lvl 50 Scorch Beast were attacking me before I zoned in fully... If hadnt been in my Power Armor I would have died instantly, only now I managed to stay alive for a while but eventually died to those 3 and a couple of lvl 47 Scorch Leaders and some Mole Miners...

What the fuck Bethesda!?

Sirialis on