As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ND, take a god damned hammer to your thermostat at this point

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’ve only ever had one thermostat in a house, but I’ve also lived in more temperate climates.

Although San Jose was really getting hot the last few years without AC!

Also, our heating is... effective? If I switch it off for a day the house falls to 58-59 degrees; however, if I set the temp to 64 and have the heating come on for just an hour, it seems to heat up really quickly and feels warmer than that? I guess it’s not really a complaint, but I haven’t quite found the sweet spot/balance.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I don’t think i’ve seen a one-story house, especially one under 2000 sq ft, that had more than one thermostat.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    My wife asked me to check the thermostat and turn it down a little because she was feeling warm.

It was on 63.

Soul mates are real. (And the insulation in the new place is SO MUCH better than our last place)

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My thermostats are particularly frustrating that I have one for my bedroom, one for the kitchen, one for the bathroom, two for the living room, and one for each of the two small rooms upstairs -_-

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My own parents renovation, one of the major blockers of starting our own Reno, continues to turn up the dumbest stupidest structural compromises from the idiots that did the last renovation. Like the kitchen bench had a slight lean on it, which we now know is because the structural supports for the cantilever sink/bench/window were only a bit over a meter and attached with nails instead of bolts, all balanced on a single structural beam like a seesaw so the whole kitchen wall was basically tilting out away from the house over a 3-story drop.

This is not really the way you're supposed to do a cantilever.

Anyway, their own renovation, originally scheduled to last 3-6 months, is currently on course to end up being a whole year because of how bad previous work on their house is and all the remedial fixes needed. Still, the remedial work and structural stuff is now all but done and they're taking the external wrap and scaffolding down this week with the new roof and exterior walls all finished. Having leaks so bad you have to replace the entire outer shell of your house 20 years after it was installed is bad, but on the plus side reworking the entire external facade can make it like you have a whole new house and get to unwrap it like a present.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    My thermostats are particularly frustrating that I have one for my bedroom, one for the kitchen, one for the bathroom, two for the living room, and one for each of the two small rooms upstairs -_-

How?

Does it have that many separate units or diverters?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    I don't really feel so bad that I fucked the seller over on the sale price anymore.

It's apparent he covered up a TON of shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Y....yay?

sig.gif
    edited November 2018
    Sorce wrote: »
    Y....yay?

I'm finding shittily patched walls, pieces of wood screwed into nothing(??), LED lamps in the kitchen where he used the wrong kind of screw and it's going through the bottom of the cabinet, the bathroom walls have drywall nails pushing through everywhere where he just painted over them, the toilet in the main bathroom has a broken wax seal that was never replaced when they replaced the toilet.

Just really cheap DIY work that is apparent everywhere. He "fixed" the roof too.

E: he was pissed that it was appraised at 40k higher than I offered and what he accepted, but man I guess I was right to lowball him that much even.

bowen on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh man, mitre saws make life so much easier. I've spent the last two Sundays with my Dad framing up a quick stud wall and doorway to partition off the area of the loft where the water tank / boiler live and we've cut all the studs and the door frame with a hand saw. This week Dad brought an electric Jigsaw that got passed down from my Grandpa but the saw-plate on that is a bit wonky because it's 20 years old at this point. We still couldn't cut a straight line that didn't need planing off to save our lives.

I was on the verge of spending £150+ on a mitre saw just to make the rest of the stud-work bearable when one of my friends was complaining about the tools he was going to have to shift now that he's moving, including his heavy mitre saw. So now I can cut through a 3x2 in seconds and it's a perfectly straight, even cut.

Of course, I still need to measure every single vertical because one length that I was cutting supporting studs for varied from 880mm all the way down to 780mm because either the roof or the floor is wonky. Or both.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Yeah, mitre saw is super one of the best first (bigger) tools to pick up. You can accomplish a lot with it.
    Awesome that you had a friend moving and willing to part with the tool!

PSN: jfrofl
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Next get a table saw or bench top drill press!

from there, all your money will be lost

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Yeah, mitre saw is super one of the best first (bigger) tools to pick up. You can accomplish a lot with it.
    Awesome that you had a friend moving and willing to part with the tool!

Oh, it's just a loan. He specifically said that he doesn't want it back until he gets his new workshop set up so I've got plenty of time to get sorted.

I definitely need one of my own, though. It has a laser line! You can pretend that you're pew-pewing through the wood with light

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    ArcSyn wrote: »

How?

One of the switches in the living room controls the two baseboard heaters at the front of the house
    The other controls a baseboard heater on the other side of the room.
    The bathroom, kitchen, and bedroom all have their own baseboard heaters with their own switches, same with the two rooms upstairs.
    This isn't a big house either. There are five switches for about 650 square feet of open space - the only door between them all is for the bathroom & bedroom.

Psykoma on
    Xaquin wrote: »

I'd argue if you are super space limited that a circular saw with a track will get you most of the table saw functions sort of?
    I guess it depends on what you are doing though.
    I do think I need to pick up a drill press and a bench top bandsaw maybe.

I'd argue if you are super space limited that a circular saw with a track will get you most of the table saw functions sort of?
    I guess it depends on what you are doing though.
    I do think I need to pick up a drill press and a bench top bandsaw maybe.

good point on the circular saw

those two are good additions though don't go cheap on the bandsaw like I did.

Oh my instinct is to always go cheap-ish
    I may hold off for a long while and try and start making things with the cnc and sell them as I can, and use funds from that to buy tools. Or just hold of forever and use the hand tools I have.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

How?

Likely separate electric heat.

Oh my instinct is to always go cheap-ish
    I may hold off for a long while and try and start making things with the cnc and sell them as I can, and use funds from that to buy tools. Or just hold of forever and use the hand tools I have.

I went cheap on my band saw and unless it's a very tiny piece, have never got a straight cut from it. At the very least, buy a step up from Skil

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I have a good track saw that is straight up amazing for breaking down sheet goods, trimming doors, and even doing basic mitre saw work like chopping boards down to length, but getting a table saw helped SO much with more precise work.

I'd still like a miter saw, but I think the table saw + track saw have it covered well enough for what I do, and my limited space. I'd probably use that space for a planer first. And then a bandsaw or a drill press.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Y....yay?

I'm finding shittily patched walls, pieces of wood screwed into nothing(??), LED lamps in the kitchen where he used the wrong kind of screw and it's going through the bottom of the cabinet, the bathroom walls have drywall nails pushing through everywhere where he just painted over them, the toilet in the main bathroom has a broken wax seal that was never replaced when they replaced the toilet.

Just really cheap DIY work that is apparent everywhere. He "fixed" the roof too.

E: he was pissed that it was appraised at 40k higher than I offered and what he accepted, but man I guess I was right to lowball him that much even.

If he accepted the offer he has no right to be pissed. That's his own fault for not getting an independent verification!

3clipse wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Y....yay?

If he accepted the offer he has no right to be pissed. That's his own fault for not getting an independent verification!

I think the appraisal was over valued. It didn't take into consideration some of the internal structures of the building that were subpar and rather the appraiser looked at the comps, like everyone does apparently, and just went "yeah that looks right"

It doesn't even have a shed or garage where the comps do.

I don't want to say appraisals are always overvalued, but I'm confident that they're overvalued far more often than they're under or spot-on.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It depends where you live. Appraisers in eastern MA are notorious for under-valuing homes, for example.

I have a good track saw that is straight up amazing for breaking down sheet goods, trimming doors, and even doing basic mitre saw work like chopping boards down to length, but getting a table saw helped SO much with more precise work.

I'd still like a miter saw, but I think the table saw + track saw have it covered well enough for what I do, and my limited space. I'd probably use that space for a planer first. And then a bandsaw or a drill press.

I think with the table saw though, the mitre saw doesn't really add anything. Like you can just get a sled that has the 45 degree set in place.
    Or an adjustable one with a degree measuring tool.
    Unless there is a use case I can't see the mitre saw doing that the table saw doesnt? I guess maybe more blade on the mitre vs tablesaw.

I think with the table saw though, the mitre saw doesn't really add anything. Like you can just get a sled that has the 45 degree set in place.
    Or an adjustable one with a degree measuring tool.
    Unless there is a use case I can't see the mitre saw doing that the table saw doesnt? I guess maybe more blade on the mitre vs tablesaw.

Yeah, it's really just a matter of convenience once you have a table saw and some sleds and miter gauges. Not the sort of convenience that's worth a big chunk of space for me, but if I had an actual shop, it'd be something I would consider somewhere down the line.

I love just rotating the miter saw to fit whatever.

Takes maybe 3 seconds, no problems

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I regret cheaping out on my table saw, it was only like $150 but it's a craftsman evolv which turned out to be incredibly basic. It's honestly fine for most things but it would've been nice if it had accessories e.g. a throat plate for a dado blade. But adjusting the blade is a big pain.

I think eventually I'd like to get a sawstop but that's like, a $2-4k investment and I don't know that I'd use it enough to get that kind of value out of it

Although, not having to worry about losing fingers to the saw is worth the investment regardless

mightyjongyo on
    I regret cheaping out on my table saw, it was only like $150 but it's a craftsman evolv which turned out to be incredibly basic. It's honestly fine for most things but it would've been nice if it had accessories e.g. a throat plate for a dado blade. But adjusting the blade is a big pain.

I think eventually I'd like to get a sawstop but that's like, a $2-4k investment and I don't know that I'd use it enough to get that kind of value out of it

Although, not having to worry about losing fingers to the saw is worth the investment regardless

Once I actually have room for a full size cabinet saw, I'd be making the investment in a sawstop immediately. It's expensive as hell, but way cheaper than new fingers.

OR, you could simply not place your fingers under the saw blade and not have to pay a cent!

OR, you could simply not place your fingers under the saw blade and not have to pay a cent!

If Jimmy Diresta can lose a finger because of a momentary lapse in judgment, I'd be crazy to think it couldn't happen to me, despite my best intentions.

I don't know who that is, but I'm pretty terrified of power tools so my default is 'check your hands, check them again, JESUS, CHECK THEM AGAIN YOU FOOL!, cheeeeeeeeck one more time, check, then cut

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Shoot why didn't I think of this, it's so simple!

Really though, shit happens even when you do everything right

edited November 2018
    He's the Bob Vila of YouTube woodworkers, basically. His channel is great, and super educational: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiEk4xHBbz0hZNIBBpowdYQ

minor incident on

Shoot why didn't I think of this, it's so simple!

Really though, shit happens even when you do everything right

fair enough

my friend and I had to change the blade on his floor stand band saw and I was pretty wigged out trying to fix it. Ended up fine, but I could see it having gone south just as easy.

edited November 2018
    I gotta be honest, the greatest thing to me about the CNC is not having my hands anywhere near things as they are cutting.
    He's the Bob Vila of YouTube woodworkers, basically. His channel is great, and super educational: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiEk4xHBbz0hZNIBBpowdYQ

I listen to the podcast he's on and I appreciate that he has a lot of history on making and do enjoy his videos from time to time. I'm not a big fan of him on the podcast, he goes from "I'm a very direct and to the point person. I hate having a 30 minute youtube video when I'm trying to find x thing. I don't like wasting my or other peoples time," to "let me tell you this 20 minute story about something tangentially related to what was being discussed and I only barely recall what the point of the story is."
    Its interesting because I've just recently gotten into the podcast and I'm trying to figure out if this should be added to the rotation. I usually try out about 5-10 episodes. I still enjoy the podcast otherwise, but that is grating on me more as I'm going through the podcast.
    Might not be so bad if I'm listening to it weekly rather than hitting them mostly back to back.

Radiation on
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    (including the goddamn closets, why are there HVAC vents in the closets!?)

My master bedroom has one vent, and one vent in the just barely walk-in closet. Now, I recognize the genius of this, because you'd have two vents pumping out heat in the winter, and glorious cold air in the summer.

But that's if you leave that closet door open. Which you can't do, because if the closet door is open at night while you're asleep, that's how the ghosts get you.

You're not wrong!

From an entertainment perspective, I actually prefer his podcast-mate, David Picciuto (and his YouTube videos).

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The best thing about Jimmy DiResta videos on YouTube is that you ALWAYS know whose video it is you're watching - he puts his name on everything in sight, often multiple times. I swear I saw a stencil he uses to spray paint his name on stuff that had his name stencilled on it once...

This discussion has been closed.