As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Help.

NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
The disk usage on omy PC suddenly spiked to 100% and I'm at a loss on how to fix it. I've already made sure to clear out my temp files and I've even disabled superfetch. Looking at my task manager, it seems the culprit is "Service Host: Local System" with the following processes under that particular heading:
windows update
windows push notification service
windows management instrumentation
update orchestrator service for windows update
user manager
themes
shell hardware detection
system event notification service
task scheduler
user profile service
geolocation service
server
ip helper
device setup manager
delivery optimization
background intelligent transfer service
application information

Are there any of these that I can stop to get my disk usage back into the normal range. Or is there anything else I can do to fix this issue.

steam_sig.png
PSN:Midnyte_Rage

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Service host isnt the problem, in my understanding. Just where the slowdown appears I guess?

So there are two things that seem to do this on windows ten, Superfetch (which is the windows 10 recurring index program for quick searching of files) and Microsoft Office, which on windows 10 pushes a ton of reindexing.

You generally need Superfetch, we solved the slowdown by removing our installation of office and reinstalling it on our machines. Fixed the problem. Our IT office claimed this was a common problem in windows 10 since summer.

Enc on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I had this happen 2 years ago.

It meant the disk was dying.

The disk got noticably slower for maybe 3 days until I caught on to what was actually happening. I was just in time backing up everything on that disk that wasn't in any cloud synced folders.
    It became unreadable 2 days after that.

So my advice is:
    Make sure your data is safe
    See if you can check the health of your HDD

EDIT: I remembered what got me on the correct path: You can check the disk and how fast it is reading/writing. This is supposed to be in the 100mb/s, or higher, area. Mine was like... 12.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Seconding the make sure your data is safe thing.

This sounds similar to what happened to my PC years ago and the end result was I lost six months worth of trying to backup my DVD collection.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yep, backup all your shit and get a new drive before you lose it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    You could always pop open Event Viewer and check under system to see if there are any Disk errors popping up. It's not foolproof, but those are indicative of a failing drive as well.

Edit: on the drive speed thing, Crystal Disk Mark will give you a glimpse at your drive health. But get that data safe before you do anything to push it further into failure territory.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    The disk usage on omy PC suddenly spiked to 100% and I'm at a loss on how to fix it. I've already made sure to clear out my temp files and I've even disabled superfetch. Looking at my task manager, it seems the culprit is "Service Host: Local System" with the following processes under that particular heading:
    windows update
    windows push notification service
    windows management instrumentation
    update orchestrator service for windows update

user manager
    themes
    shell hardware detection
    system event notification service
    task scheduler
    user profile service
    geolocation service
    server
    ip helper
    device setup manager
    delivery optimization
    background intelligent transfer service

application information

Are there any of these that I can stop to get my disk usage back into the normal range. Or is there anything else I can do to fix this issue.

If this still isn't resolved, the bolded are all windows update services.

I see 3-4ish laptops a week that are "running slow" because windows update is pegging the drive, and they see it is running slow and then close it/shut it off.

The solution is just to leave it open and let windows update finish its business.

Granted, a bad drive is also a possibility that should be addressed. But I see the former far more than the latter.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It could easily be a situation where Windows Update is stuck in a loop

Try MS's Windows Update fixer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter