As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Yeah... my thinking is: 1 Paladin...then 3 Hexblade.... then at least 5 more as an Oath of Vengeance Paladin before switching back to Hexblade. I thought the STR requirement was for multi-classing in or out of Paladin? I'll have to look again.

I'm not too worried about being sub-optimal... just cool and fun.

Steelhawk on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    You still need the 13str to switch out of paladin yes

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    From the SRD
    To qualify for a new class, you must meet the ability score prerequisites for both your current class and your new one, as shown in the Multiclassing Prerequisites table. For example, a barbarian who decides to multiclass into the druid class must have both Strength and Wisdom scores of 13 or higher. Without the full training that a beginning character receives, you must be a quick study in your new class, having a natural aptitude that is reflected by higher-than-average ability scores

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "I'll take 'Dumb Rules' for $400, Alex."

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Eh, I can see a practical point for that ruling, to avoid at least some kinds of min-maxing.

edited November 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Eh, I can see a practical point for that ruling, to avoid at least some kinds of min-maxing.

Hex warrior would be even more stupid without it, the balance in terms of character power gained for a single level warlock dip is already so astronomical.

5e is already tilted against min maxers compared to previous additions, Hex warrior was a huge blow to that and has frankly soured more than one game for me already. Nobody role-plays it, it's just "I hit with my charisma now", if they could do that and use strength as a dump stat to start with 16 con and 16 charisma that'd be crazy

It puzzles me that instead they didn't just give the weapon charisma thing to pact of the blade, I think it's just because they're terrified of rebalancing anything unless it breaks the game like Contagion did

override367 on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

That may be true, but it's still a dumb rule.

It mandates that multiclassing represents some kind of career change / second degree, which is frankly silly - you can study for 10 years to become a wizard, or you can become one in a month as long as you're slightly smarter than average (and stronger! for some reason), so long as you spent a couple months in the militia?

edited November 2018

It mandates that multiclassing represents some kind of career change / second degree, which is frankly silly - you can study for 10 years to become a wizard, or you can become one in a month as long as you're slightly smarter than average (and stronger! for some reason), so long as you spent a couple months in the militia?

I never said anything about it making narrative sense, and because D&D is a game that is about mechanics above all else, I've generally graded rules as being good or bad (or dumb/not-dumb) based on how they functioned mechanically above all else.

DarkPrimus on
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular

I never said anything about it making narrative sense, and because D&D is a game that is about mechanics above all else, I've generally graded rules as being good or bad (or dumb/not-dumb) based on how they functioned mechanically above all else.

Yeah, but it's not well-designed in that sense either.

If you want a brake that keeps multiclassing from being too powerful, that brake needs to apply consistently.

Needing 13 str to switch out of paladin might keep hexblade/paladins from starting 8 STR/16 CON/16 CHA, but it doesn't keep, say, hexblade/bards or hexblade/sorcerers from doing that, because they all only need the CHA. It also doesn't keep, for example, hexblade/rangers or hexblade/fighters from dumping STR, because they need CHA and DEX (and wis for rangers I guess) but not STR.

The stat requirement also doesn't actually prevent hexblade/paladins from starting 16 CON/16 CHA, either - it just means their dex and int have to be dumped instead so they can start 13 STR/8 DEX/14-15 CON/13 WIS/8 INT/14-15 CHA and then get the rest from racial bonuses (personally I'd probably go variant human with Resilient CON as my bonus feat so that I could get +2 CON/+1 CHA and con save proficiency - does mean you have to give up starting GWM, though).

It locks out some things, but not the most powerful things or the most narratively unlikely things or any particularly consistent set of things.

It doesn't really serve a coherent mechanical purpose or a coherent narrative purpose, it just exists because it existed in older editions so they put it in this one too.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Multiclassing into hexblade as a paladin never even occurred to me until this thread, I always just thought it was a neat class type for warlock

now that I see it... wow

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am going to run my first game of d&d in about 5 hours. We are going to use the starter set with the mines of phandelver adventure. Anything I should know about that adventure to look out for? I watch a lot of d&d streams but have never played before in any capacity so I am a bit nervous. Even if it is a trainwreck we are all friends so it should be a fun trainwreck.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Phandelver is a great introductory adventure that does a good job, imo, of leading you through the whole process. Its pretty straightforward as written, but also gives you room to add in more stuff if you'd like.

Since you're with friends there should be no problem if things go sideways. Don't take everything so seriously and allow yourself to make mistakes. Its how you learn.

Have fun!

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Biggest thing with Phandelver is to play the goblins dumb. If played strategically they can easily overwhelm a level 1 party, especially of new players to the game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    When i DM i tend to look at the monster int/wis to determine how they behave. Low numbers in those mean the monsters beeline at the party in a predictable way. High means strategic draining if party resources and a survival instinct.

steam_sig.png
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Biggest thing with Phandelver is to play the goblins dumb. If played strategically they can easily overwhelm a level 1 party, especially of new players to the game.

Also, remember: Goblins are cowardly. If they one-shot a couple gobbos then the rest of them should maybe flee... to safety behind some traps.

My biggest concern right now is I have 5 players. I am thinking about just leaving the combat encounters the same since it should make it impossible for them to fuck up bad enough to die. I might add one or two more enemies if they really steamroll but I don't see that happening.

For the beginning of a campaign, especially with new players, it's better for them to steamroll a bit and then you adjust than them being curbstomped and then you pulling back a bit.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    My biggest concern right now is I have 5 players. I am thinking about just leaving the combat encounters the same since it should make it impossible for them to fuck up bad enough to die. I might add one or two more enemies if they really steamroll but I don't see that happening.

If by "fuck up bad enough to die" you mean "experience a single attack roll", you'll have to cut things down way, way more. Bad luck is the same thing as fucking up, right?

When you roll the dice, you agree to accept everything that will happen. So unless you want to send them to kill, like, rats and centipedes that do 1 damage apiece, every attack roll runs the risk of killing somebody. Because that's what first-level D&D is about, I guess!

Ok that was a lot of fun. We played for about 3 hours and everyone had fun. I let them basically demolish the enemy, although they were rolling pretty well so it wasn't like I had to fudge anything. We played up to the cragmaw cave, and they got the sneak attack on klarg and his goons so they went down no problem. They hit level 2 and we called it there. I am going to have to look up some clarifications on some stuff but otherwise the character sheets and rule books explained everything pretty well. No one got a 20 but I did get to mess up my buddy who got a 1 trying to avoid the pit and then hit a 1 and landed in the fire.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man we fought 3 bugbears last night at level 2 and fuck if we could roll above a 7 for about half the fight. Thank god we had some healing. I got hit for 17 damage first round of combat. Happily they never did that high a damage again, or crit.

edited November 2018
    Man we fought 3 bugbears last night at level 2 and fuck if we could roll above a 7 for about half the fight. Thank god we had some healing. I got hit for 17 damage first round of combat. Happily they never did that high a damage again, or crit.

I was surprised at how easy it was for them to hit the goblins and bugbear. I think all told I only had maybe 4 misses the entire 3 hours. One of those was the fighter charging at a goblin that had been put to sleep next to a giant fire pit. He rolled a 1 so I had him trip and fall into the fire and take some damage. After doing some reading I realized that the text for sneak attack did not mention that it works if your target has another enemy target within 5 feet. That makes it much more useful.

Edit and I just found it why they rarely missed. So the pre-made character sheet includes a to hit value. I assumed this was just the proficiency bonus. So I was adding 5 as their proficiency bonus to their ability modifier. Whoops. Next time they are going to have a bit of a difficulty spike.

furlion on
    So we've started using clothesline pins for initiative tracking on the DM screen. It's working great. DM is also announcing who is on deck so they can prepare their turn. Our combats this last session were probably the smoothest we've ever had.

To help with that I'm going to make up some printable status effect cards that we can attach to the clothspins, probably with an epoxied on paperclip. That way we know when one of us has a status effect on us, or if an enemy group has someone who is poisoned, or asleep or whatever. My goal is to make it easy for the DM. I'm trying to decide on magnets or the paperclip idea.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Tell me cool homebrew world facts!

Tritons have “dreadlocks” of thick bioluminescent tentacles on their heads in place of hair.

Demons and other fiends kill tieflings on sight, when they’re not tempting them to evil, because if enough “representatives” of their demon lord are good it may fundamentally alter their alignment in a weird conceptual feedback loop.

The “Underdark” equivalent of Outlands, the plane of neutrallity, is the Heartward Labyrinth. Here instead of being about the balance of true neutral, it’s the spiritual home for people that have no idea what the fuck.

The first step to a dragon becoming powerful is shedding their colour coded scales and taking on a look that suits them personally. Very few if any dragons worship their own gods because tenet number 1 of being a dragon is to surpass your elders. Obviously, older dragons trick adventurers into slaying young upstarts all the time (not wanting to seem like they’re nervous about their own strength by killing them themselves).

Elves think humans are dirt elementals.

don't mind if I do.

Elves and Orcs both come from the Feywyld. The Wylds have opening all over the world called the Everfree Forest or Everafter. The Feywyld has a tilted sense of time. Its a dreamlike timeless place. The Elves in the wylds do not have a society in the traditional sense instead connecting through the Elflink, a sort of emotional mivemind. In this place there is relatively little difference between any two elves and its uncertain whether they all have individual bodies in the first place. Perhaps an elf is created the moment they are spun out of the Feywyld. Elves who leave almost always have a mission to accomplish. A specific goal in the material plane that in the beginning is their soul reason for living. They may begin life feeling empty without the Elflink providing order and consensus to their thoughts. Elves who spend too much time in the material plane may eventually come to like the freedom and individualism of the human world. As Elves cannot sleep they use meditative tricks to keep their mind in order while in the material plane. Elves who do not return to the fey periodically will begin to to suffer eccentricities related to sleep deprivation. Half-elves are those Elves who have managed to so completely adapt to the material plane that they can exist fully within it.

The intricacies of Elven morality is difficult to explain. They value beauty and permanence. An Elf might value life but the short strange lives of humans are difficult for an Elf is grapple with but a forest which has stood unchanged thousands of years or even a grand building or statue which has stood for hundreds of years may yield far more hate from an elf if it were threatened. The art they value is that which may last. Books, paintings and statues are of great value but artforms which are more ethereal such as music tend to be dismissed as Elves find it difficult to understand a thing which exists briefly and then disappears suddenly. Elves do sing a strange music of their own. A soft chant which Elves say they did not begin but merely joined. If asked they will tell you elves have always sung their song. Its said two Elves which begin to sing at different times with no knowledge of each other will always be singing in time with each other. Elves also have a different relationship with pain and trauma exemplified by the scars and damage of old injuries returning should an Elf think of it or be put in a stressful situation.

Non-elves don't know what Orcs are and Elves aren't talking. They don't seem to exist properly in the parts of the Feywyld that Elves inhabit. They wander out of the Fey periodically and if not dealt with will cause terrible havoc. Driving large spirit-wolf pulled wagon trains the Orcs rage from place to place killing, pillaging and burning apparently without cause or goal. Any captured Orcs cannot be convinced to say anymore than one sentence. Even under the knife during terrible tortures they will laugh as their skin is peeled and scream "Your Gods are dead". When Orcs first arrived two hundred years ago this Orc anthem cause some theological distress. Orcs will sometimes attempt capture people to ritually sacrifice. Their goal and master remains a mystery. Sometimes Orcs will walk away from the carnage of the War Wagon to seek peace. These Half-Orcs shrink, lose fang length, and have their green tint decrease to a more human tone. If these Half-Orcs know why they and their kin do what they do they arnt talking. Many Half-Orcs died proving that. Some half-orcs have gathered together at the edge of human civilization and formed their own mostly-peaceful towns.

Dwarves are an entirely male self-created race. Its unknown to non dwarves how they first came to be but new Dwarves are chiseled directly from the Earth and incubated in the fires of the Azor.

Quire.jpg
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Dwarves are an entirely male self-created race. Its unknown to non dwarves how they first came to be but new Dwarves are chiseled directly from the Earth and incubated in the fires of the Azor.
    Is there are reason for dwarves to be considered male?
    Do dwarves consider themselves male, or is this a definition added to them by other races?
    How do dwarves react to the idea of races with two or more genders?

edited November 2018
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Do dwarves consider themselves male, or is this a definition added to them by other races?

Honestly Dwarves have always come off to me as all identifying as male in all their depictions so when I decided to to do away with Dwarves having sexual reproduction male seemed the obvious choice and I haven't really thought it through past that because I also find Dwarves somewhat difficult to get in too. Thinking about it I imagine Dwarves probably didn't have a conception of gender and when confronted by the human precepts of gender likely shrugged "I guess we're male, mostly".

I'm still working on my campaign setting but Id really like for humans in general to have a far more enlightened when it comes to sex and gender and want the other races to in some way challenge humanity's presumed views on those things in some ways. Originally I was going to have Elves be by-and-large non-binary and perhaps picking a gender day-by-day but that seemed an incongruity with their valuing of persistence so now Im thinking about it some more.

I think Dwarves probably appreciate the concept of gender as a categorization. Its just not something they consider applicable to themselves. Perhaps they view their job specialization as someone similar to gender? Maybe that's a stupid idea.

EDIT-Also I suppose I probably should have said mostly. I certainly wouldn't want to imply that a player in my game who wanted to play as a Drawf woman would be told they couldn't.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    In contrast as admittedly a running joke rather than an insightful idea my current D&D group have found out that dwarves have five common genders; ygnr, gmna, vord, weir and fjork... but no one else can tell what is what, they just look like short hairy male miners.
    Plus no one can speak dwarven so we’ve been voicing them as sorta Russians that speak exclusively in made-up expletives.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Honestly Dwarves have always come off to me as all identifying as male in all their depictions so when I decided to to do away with Dwarves having sexual reproduction male seemed the obvious choice and I haven't really thought it through past that because I also find Dwarves somewhat difficult to get in too. Thinking about it I imagine Dwarves probably didn't have a conception of gender and when confronted by the human precepts of gender likely shrugged "I guess we're male, mostly".

I'm still working on my campaign setting but Id really like for humans in general to have a far more enlightened when it comes to sex and gender and want the other races to in some way challenge humanity's presumed views on those things in some ways. Originally I was going to have Elves be by-and-large non-binary and perhaps picking a gender day-by-day but that seemed an incongruity with their valuing of persistence so now Im thinking about it some more.

I think Dwarves probably appreciate the concept of gender as a categorization. Its just not something they consider applicable to themselves. Perhaps they view their job specialization as someone similar to gender? Maybe that's a stupid idea.

EDIT-Also I suppose I probably should have said mostly. I certainly wouldn't want to imply that a player in my game who wanted to play as a Drawf woman would be told they couldn't.
    First of, if you don't want me to dig into this, just say so, i am not intending to criticise, i'm actually rather intrigued by the idea and want to explore this a bit deeper.
    Secondly, have you read Discworld novels?
    If you haven't already, you might want to give them a read, what Pratchett did with his dwarves was kinda interesting and might offer some ideas.
    Feet of Clay, The Fifth Elephant and Thud being ones with major dwarf presence, and unseen academicals to a lesser degree.

Gender in a species with no sexual reproduction is kinda weird, physical sex even more so.
    Do the dwarves come in distinct sexes, and if so, why? This does not necessarily need to be a big thing (or a thing at all), but it might be an interesting question to explore.

Gender as a job specialization might be interesting, it also could be a huge hornets nest best not touched, depends on your gaming group.

On humans and elves.
    Elves picking different gender day by day is not really in conflict in valuing persistence, maybe they consider it like seasonal cycles, or weather, things change, while still remaining the same.

What do you mean with having humans more enlightened? More enlightened than what or who? And how would these already enlightened people be challenged by non human notions?

edited November 2018

I played the goblins like a guerilla army, engaging at maximum bow range and retreating into the forest and using the bonus action to Hide, leaving primitive hunting traps to block pursuers, never letting the party rest

of course they were experienced players but they were like "what the fuck is with these goblins"

we all had a lot of fun... but do NOT do this to inexperienced players

override367 on
    edited November 2018

First of, if you don't want me to dig into this, just say so, i am not intending to criticise, i'm actually rather intrigued by the idea and want to explore this a bit deeper.
    If you haven't already, you might want to give them a read, what Pratchett did with his dwarves was kinda interesting and might offer some ideas.
    Feet of Clay, The Fifth Elephant and Thud being ones with major dwarf presence, and unseen academicals to a lesser degree.

Gender in a species with no sexual reproduction is kinda weird, physical sex even more so.
    Do the dwarves come in distinct sexes, and if so, why? This does not necessarily need to be a big thing (or a thing at all), but it might be an interesting question to explore.

Gender as a job specialization might be interesting, it also could be a huge hornets nest best not touched, depends on your gaming group.

On humans and elves.
    Elves picking different gender day by day is not really in conflict in valuing persistence, maybe they consider it like seasonal cycles, or weather, things change, while still remaining the same.

What do you mean with having humans more enlightened? More enlightened than what or who? And how would these already enlightened people be challenged by non human notions?

I think there's a very traditional corellon worshipping elf in dragon-heist that's genderless (Corellon got mad when the elves decided to stop being the randomize button on the character creator each day, he preferred them to be fluid)

you can tell matt mercer was a consult on dragon heist as the npcs aren't all cis/hetero

override367 on
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Pre-Dragon Heist in Mordenkainens Tome of Foes there's a whole chapter on Elves that covers that, and it also introduces a Chosen of Corellon feature for elves that allows them to change their gender with a long rest. Go to bed Tilda Swinton, wake up David Bowie (Or alternatively, for all right-minded perverts, go to bed with Tilda Swinton and wake up with David Bowie).

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
    edited November 2018
    It’d be interesting, though I’m not sure it’s original, to have elves be the opposite of dwarves. They have men and women and so on, but they outwardly look like women to humans. Just really, really beautiful with long golden hair that floats on a magical ever present breeze.

Edit: But half of them speak with voices as deep as Barry White.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited November 2018
    Update from my campaign: The party subdued and tied up an Erinyes

She bargained for her freedom with an infernal contract, a very simple contract:

Things the party wants
    for
    The party granting her freedom from her bondage, and both parties agree to not take harmful action against the other that could lead to their deaths (on the prime material plane)

Singed sealed and delivered

At which point she shrugged off the rope, after all it was her rope of entanglement, and thanked them for their business. She gave them the name and location of the Pit Fiend she is bound to the service of and told them there was no hurry, but they might want to deal with him before they die, if not at least she'll have their eternal souls to amuse herself with

AW SHIT THE EVIL GREATER DEMON DOUBLE CROSSED YOU

override367 on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    The topic of a monogender species is discussed in the Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye and Lost Light comic series. Cybertronians aren't gendered and don't reproduce sexually (sparks are typically dug out of the ground) so they use "him" essentially by default. However it's noted that there are some who identify as female regardless, and others who decided that feminine pronouns were a better fit after exposure to bi-gender species and cultures.

Might use something similar for Dwarves.

Any kind of frog folk just gotta have the ability to change their sex dependant on population etc.

Just putting that out there.

On humans and elves.

Humans in this world are more enlightened then society as a whole in the real world. While there doesnt really need to be a reason why that is true but I thought of one anyway which is that humans are confronted with other views on gender and sexuality by the various fantasy races. The hegemonies of what gender is has been constantly challenged for generations and people have adjusted.

I havent read diskworld but I did read up on their dwarves a bit. They are fascinating.

Quire.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Really I find it odd WoW was one of the first things to do female dwarves. As in why now?

edited November 2018
    Dwarves have always had males and females in forgotten realms right?

I just listened to a D&D audiobook from the 90s a bit ago that mentioned dwarven women (and that they are notable in being present in large numbers wherever dwarves are fighting battles, compared to the human cities of the area)

override367 on
    When didn't Dwarves have females? I don't recall that ever being a thing in any offical capacity over the decades of D&D. The joke was always there that you couldn't tell Dwarf women from the men, but there were always female dwarves.

I don’t, nor will I learn the history of D&D, but in my mind they’ve run the gambit of “just stout norse people” to “only male hairy mole-men”.

Here's some official art from 5th of some dwarves

4vaZ4dP.png

and lady dwarf fighting duergar

Ycm9JZw.png

This discussion has been closed.