As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I have pain train and I accidentally nudged a neutral robot in a place stuffed with assaultrons and protectrons so I was calmly trying to do stuff there with 2 friends while 8 angry robots fired lasers at me and in my armor I was barely taking damage.

My INT/LCK build confused my friend, "can you even die?" he asked.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I found a vendor selling the pattern for leather armour pockets.

So now I can craft arms and legs with +5 carry capacity for a total of 20. Incidentally this is the same as power armour gives you so that’s nice.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I found a vendor selling the pattern for leather armour pockets.

So now I can craft arms and legs with +5 carry capacity for a total of 20. Incidentally this is the same as power armour gives you so that’s nice.

So there is a bug with pocketed things, where if you spam equip/unequip them, your carry weight will eventually go negative, giving you unlimited carry weight so long as you stay negative.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Had to move my CAMP 4 feet because 2 single walls refused to be stored or scrapped, yeah that costs me 133 caps.

Edit: I’ve never been disconnected before, since the patch? Twice.

Sirialis on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    talk me out of buying this for the morbid curiosity/train wreck factor.

I love fallout but abhor the fallout 4 to 76 slide away from the rpg elements....

But also the reviews being so bad are having the opposite effect....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I really enjoy it. Not sure what the reviews are saying but it’s a lot of fun

616610-1.png
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    mojojoeo wrote: »

I love fallout but abhor the fallout 4 to 76 slide away from the rpg elements....

I bought it with zero info and the main thing that keeps me playing is probably sunk cost and the urge to keep opening containers.

If you hate that it went away from rpg elements, there’s no NPCs.

It’s a dungeon crawl that never truly returns you to town.

Real talk I would probably give it 3-6 months and keep an eye on patch notes and see if it moves a direction you like.

Cog on
    Cog wrote: »

See, this doesn't bother me at all, because the world building is still there, it's just minus humans. Now, you don't have dialogue options and conversation trees, but to be completely honest? I hadn't even really thought about it or missed them until I started writing this post.

There's so much information about the world and why it is like it is via notes and holotapes that even though you're alone and very isolated, the world does not feel empty at all. You meet people, just...long after they are dead.

To me, this is a much, much better post-apocalyptic experience than any of the previous Fallout games. Those were all about exploring the society that had re-established itself in the wake of nuclear war. This game is the little niche of exploring the last vestiges of the old world dying off, and what happened to the societies that didn't quite make it. It is very new and refreshing to me.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I don't mind the lack of human NPCs, but I wish the game didn't have so many quests that suggest you're going to meet one. We know it isn't going to happen, Bethesda. You aren't fooling anyone.

Mvrck wrote: »

See, this doesn't bother me at all, because the world building is still there, it's just minus humans. Now, you don't have dialogue options and conversation trees, but to be completely honest? I hadn't even really thought about it or missed them until I started writing this post.

There's so much information about the world and why it is like it is via notes and holotapes that even though you're alone and very isolated, the world does not feel empty at all. You meet people, just...long after they are dead.

To me, this is a much, much better post-apocalyptic experience than any of the previous Fallout games. Those were all about exploring the society that had re-established itself in the wake of nuclear war. This game is the little niche of exploring the last vestiges of the old world dying off, and what happened to the societies that didn't quite make it. It is very new and refreshing to me.

It’s the first (modern)fallout game where the setting makes sense. I can imagine the world being like this 20 odd years or so after.

As opposed to four which is set 200 years after but there’s still usable scrap outside a settlement of about five people.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Several hours in and im not even clear on what they were going for with no NPCs

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited November 2018
    I miss the NPCs and the world, at least the parts that you're trying to positively interact with, feel very empty and lifeless to me.

I miss the opportunity to ingratiate yourself with a given faction or make morality based choices. What you choose to do or not with a given mission is irrelevant because everyone is dead and no one stands to benefit or lose out based on your choices. Yes there's a "story" to follow, but lacking meangful PC interaction or decision points, it's absolutely on rails. Follow it, or don't, but the only result of not is that you're cutting yourself off from the rewards.

It's a drastic departure from Fallout 3 where right out of the fucking gate you are basically offered a huge morality decision to align with Megaton or Tenpenny. That is absolutely not going to happen in this game, because there's no "evil" set of dead person's holotapes asking you to undermine and betray the holotapes of the dead good person. When they decided to have everyone be dead, they removed the ability for you to meaningfully connect with anyone and thereby be forced to ever make a difficult choice, or really any choices at all.

Cog on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

"Every other human you see is another player."

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?

"Every other human you see is another player."

I basically never see any.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I miss real morality choices. You could be one evil shit in New Vegas

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited November 2018
    I don't. I never pick evil options anyway, so it's just extra fluff to me. Whenever I've tried playing an evil or asshole character (in Mass Effect, KOTOR, or whatever), I end up feeling super guilty for some dumb reason and soon shift back to good/paragon/light options.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited November 2018
    The only choices this game offers are "where am I going to go to steal everything not nailed down and kill everything that moves today?" which is no choice at all.

And, again, the core gameplay loop is fun, I will open containers and crawl home with a hundred pounds of telephones and clipboards and duct tape on my back all damn night. It's a fun action/survival mashup thing. But, sorry, it's an objectively shitty RPG.

EDIT:
    I don't. I never pick evil options anyway, so it's just extra fluff to me. Whenever I've tried playing an evil or asshole character (in Mass Effect, KOTOR, or whatever), I end up feeling super guilty for some dumb reason and soon shift back to good/paragon/light options.

I don't need to be offered "Help this orphan or punch this box of kittens" type choices. I'll generally gravitate toward the 'good' choices. But solid RPGs will offer me choices where I don't feel great about any of my options, or I'll spend a while after making my choice regretting it or wondering if I made the right one.

Cog on
    I used to love playing an evil scientist and F4 forced me to be a boy scout.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    The only choices this game offers are "where am I going to go to steal everything not nailed down and kill everything that moves today?" which is no choice at all.

And, again, the core gameplay loop is fun, I will open containers and crawl home with a hundred pounds of telephones and clipboards and duct tape on my back all damn night. It's a fun action/survival mashup thing. But, sorry, it's an objectively shitty RPG.

EDIT:

I don't need to be offered "Help this orphan or punch this box of kittens" type choices. I'll generally gravitate toward the 'good' choices. But solid RPGs will offer me choices where I don't feel great about any of my options, or I'll spend a while after making my choice regretting it or wondering if I made the right one.

I do enough of that in real life. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    I very much doubt it, but is there a way to see which armour pieces on a Power Armour chassis in storage? I am trying to decide if it is worth collecting a chassis for each armour type or if I just have one chassis, equip the best pieces and scrap the rest.

Also, does anyone have a spare set of CAMP plans for metal walls or a power armour station?

edited November 2018
    Khade97 wrote: »
    I very much doubt it, but is there a way to see which armour pieces on a Power Armour chassis in storage? I am trying to decide if it is worth collecting a chassis for each armour type or if I just have one chassis, equip the best pieces and scrap the rest.

Also, does anyone have a spare set of CAMP plans for metal walls or a power armour station?

No way to tell as far as I can see. I don't have spare sets, but if you do the Miner Miracles quest for the excavator armor, one of the rewards for completion is the plans for a power armour station.

Mvrck on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    I miss real morality choices. You could be one evil shit in New Vegas

After playing Fallout 4, I don't think a Bethesda-written Fallout game with human NPCs will have real morality choices either, so I don't miss it in '76.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I agree with a lot of the points talking about not really missing the NPC's...but I also totally get how it's off putting for people.

I go back to what I said a couple pages back: I think there is a kernel of something here, I'm actually surprised how well the game play loop works in the multiplayer survival sense. I also think it's not unreasonable to suggest people on the fence wait to see what post release patches bring and possibly a sale.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Heh, is there a more bad-review-proof game than FALLOUT ?

So I'll be on for the next 4 hours or so if anyone wants to group up on PC. "mvrck."

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of the points talking about not really missing the NPC's...but I also totally get how it's off putting for people.

I'm not sure how off-putting is is for me, but lack of living, non-hostile NPCs makes 76, at least so far, much more depressing than any of the other new Fallout games.

edited November 2018
    If anyone wants the plans for Large Generator and Fusion Generator, they are a possible reward from the "Powering up Poseidon" (Nuclear Reactor) event, I got the Fusion plan on my first try and my friend got the Large Generator plan.

I really want that blue'ish metal floor and wall plan, the Radiation cleaning arc thing and also some plan for a security (steel) looking door.

Whitespring is probably my favorite area right now, I love the Golf Resort look and the "mall" inside the Resort itself is cool with 8 different vendors.

Sirialis on
    edited November 2018
    Not the greatest way to be greeted after loading in, the time idling before moving is while waiting for the loading screen, the instant you see the "exploding car" icon (0.19) is when I'm actually "ingame"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0WnAZyFT6U

3 fucking scorch beasts + assorted mobs just after loading in? No thanks.

Earlier I went to visit one of those claimable outpost things because I wanted to use the Power Armor Station there, a level 8 dude had claimed it and suddenly there was a guy in a T45 Power Armor (me) and another dude in a Prototype Power Armor (my friend) rolling around just next to him, he seemed really nervous and barricaded himself with turrets, he just put turrets all over the place... All of them pointing towards us.

Sirialis on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I saw the positive 'pinions here and gave it a 3 day Redbox rental. I'm Zavian2099 on PSN if anyone is playing the ps4 version. I have NO idea what Im getting into and a bit scurred, but I loved Far Harbor to death as well as Fallout 3 so damkit I'm invested in the series enough to give it a try, jank and all

So tip: Before you go building your base, place your camp then change servers to make sure it stays. What I *thought* was a valid spot nestled between a couple of POI's turned out to not auto deploy when I logged back in.

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I'm not sure how off-putting is is for me, but lack of living, non-hostile NPCs makes 76, at least so far, much more depressing than any of the other new Fallout games.

There are plently of living NPCs. It's just that by the time you get near them they die. You radiate pure death to non-Vault dwellers.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'd definitely miss roaming traders being attacked by crabs and deciding to not intervene. I don't really care as much about the npc interaction with me as I do with the environment. It does however make the game feel really sleazy. It's basically all old assets in an old engine with mostly meaningless multiplayer for 60$. I really don't think it should be 60$.

My favorite part of Fallout is looking at map markers and roaming off to check it out, even with that intact it feels like something is missing.

dispatch.o on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I just don't see the complaint that there isn't a ton of work put in to this. The world building and environmental story telling is still really great. Some people at Bethesda put a ton of work in to this world. Hand waving it away as sleazy, or not worth the money, because it reuses some assets seems unfortunate to me. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's just one I disagree with.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I'm fine with some asset reuse, especially in a franchise that leans so heavily on an aesthetic. I think there are some serious conceptual issues with the game but bugs aside what's here obviously had time spent on it.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Must say, I do rather like what the engine will bring to future games. Forests actually feel decently dense to walk through.

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    What is everyone doing regarding assigning SPECIAL, and are there any dead end paths to avoid? As it will be unlikely I ever level up an alt I don't want to go with a quirky build, so I was planning on going with a pretty generic Rifleman. With the perk cards being able to swap out that does give some freedom but only if the SPECIAL allows it.

At the moment I am looking at S8 P12 E10 C4 I8 A6 L6 (which leaves 2 points left over if my math is on point).
    Standard Perk cards for "Exploring" - crafting ones would be swapped in as needed

Strength 8
    • Sturdy Frame 2
    • Pack Rat 3
    • Barbarian 3
    Perception 12
    • Rifleman 3
    • Expert Rifleman 3
    • Picklock 3
    • Tank Killer 3
    Endurance 10
    • Adamantium Skeleton 3
    • Ironclad 5
    • Sun Kissed 2
    Charisma 4
    • Lone Wanderer 4
    Intelligence 8
    • Gunsmith 5
    • First Aid 3
    Agility 6
    • Action Boy 3
    • White Knight 3
    Luck 6
    • Grim Reaper 3
    • Better Criticals 3

Khade97 wrote: »
    What is everyone doing regarding assigning SPECIAL, and are there any dead end paths to avoid? As it will be unlikely I ever level up an alt I don't want to go with a quirky build, so I was planning on going with a pretty generic Rifleman. With the perk cards being able to swap out that does give some freedom but only if the SPECIAL allows it.

At the moment I am looking at S8 P12 E10 C4 I8 A6 L6 (which leaves 2 points left over if my math is on point).
    Standard Perk cards for "Exploring" - crafting ones would be swapped in as needed

Strength 8
    • Sturdy Frame 2
    • Pack Rat 3
    • Barbarian 3
    Perception 12
    • Rifleman 3
    • Expert Rifleman 3
    • Picklock 3
    • Tank Killer 3
    Endurance 10
    • Adamantium Skeleton 3
    • Ironclad 5
    • Sun Kissed 2
    Charisma 4
    • Lone Wanderer 4
    Intelligence 8
    • Gunsmith 5
    • First Aid 3
    Agility 6
    • Action Boy 3
    • White Knight 3
    Luck 6
    • Grim Reaper 3
    • Better Criticals 3

My points are over the place because I didn’t realise you can’t respec (athough it’s coming) but I can confirm both rifleman perks and tank killer is super effective.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Right now I'm aiming for 4 in each stat, then I'll start specializing.

edited November 2018
    Repairing seems kind of a resource waste in this game too often.

For example if I want to repair a piece of level 30 leather armor it takes ballistic fiber and a bunch of rare resources

If I instead craft an identical new piece of lvl 30 leather armor and upgrade it, its much, much cheaper, basically only costs a few leathers and one adhesive.

This is totally backwards to me and only seems to only act as an increased resource drain.

One good thing about being a pack rat is I just had everything on hand when I got the plans for a certain Prototype power armor, still 7 levels to go before I can use it though.

Sirialis on
    I'm level 14. I found a plan to make baseball bats. But then the workbench only gives me the option to make level 1 and level 5 bats. I have a level 15 bat in storage so I know they go at least that high. Anyone know why I can't craft at least a level 10 bat?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~