As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I'm level 14. I found a plan to make baseball bats. But then the workbench only gives me the option to make level 1 and level 5 bats. I have a level 15 bat in storage so I know they go at least that high. Anyone know why I can't craft at least a level 10 bat?

You need a perk most likely. Is the option grated out? It will tell you on the right what you need.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    There's a Melee Weapon Perk in the Int tree, something like Everything Is Deadly maybe ? I think you need that one.

Interesting point about the Water Filter, you can build it at two stations using two different perks. Chemistry Station needs Pharmacist; Cooking Station needs Green Thumb. I'd like to see more abilities like this.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I have the melee weapon crafting perk (Makeshift Warrior, 2 ranks). There's no grayed out option. It's just level 1 and 5.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Yeah morbid curiosity got the better of me.

2 dumb things-
    1) Wow.... they really left no one in the vault? Like, I knew no npcs in the world.... But like we are done with the safe space that is the vault?
    2) Scorched are infuriatingly lazy/convoluted. They wanted enemies that used weapons but clearly were told no NPCs... like there was a argument. I dunno.

Actual Stuff-

Am i expected to plop down my camp - deal with loot situation and move it often?
    Im out adventuring and filling up.... just praying i find a bench to scrap stuff.....

Game is OK.... they are going for the looty bits of fo4 and this is that. at the cost of all else, this is that.

I don't see it here either but in a first for Bethesda - this patch fixed 144 refresh + physics. Finally no tinkering high framerate Bethesda game. Well.... you still have to edit an ini to take out vsync- but no speed up physics. it just works.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Am i expected to plop down my camp - deal with loot situation and move it often?

Yes. Your Stash is safe from other players, but otherwise they can use your stuff. One of the tricks is to build everything indoors and put a Master level lock on the door, if that's your preference. Roaming mooks will spawn in the world and move towards your CAMP, so putting down a turret or two helps with that.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »

Yes. Your Stash is safe from other players, but otherwise they can use your stuff. One of the tricks is to build everything indoors and put a Master level lock on the door, if that's your preference. Roaming mooks will spawn in the world and move towards your CAMP, so putting down a turret or two helps with that.

there is a cap cost on moving the camp- is that prohibitive or do caps flow well?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm level 14. I found a plan to make baseball bats. But then the workbench only gives me the option to make level 1 and level 5 bats. I have a level 15 bat in storage so I know they go at least that high. Anyone know why I can't craft at least a level 10 bat?

I believe item levels go up in increments of 10 (Some start at 5). So they either jump 5, 15, 25, etc or 10, 20, 30, etc. I believe it depends on there base starting level. You won't be able to craft a level 15 bat until you are level 15. Each item max's out at a different item level (35 and 50 seem to be the most common).
    mojojoeo wrote: »

there is a cap cost on moving the camp- is that prohibitive or do caps flow well?

Caps flow pretty well if you don't buy anything from the vendors. If you want to buy crafting plans from the vendor you will be short on caps. I recommend parking you base near the main quest hub of the quest chain you are doing so you can fast travel for free. You are very rarely in an area that doesn't have a work bench so you don't really need your camp until its time to store your junk and repair.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Ah. Ok, that makes more sense. I assumed they went in 5-level increments, since other stuff I've looked at has 1/5/10 so far.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    So on the reviews. Am I the only one that came into this game knowing it wasn't a primary Fallout game? I came to this hoping for a better skinned, better engine, more engaging Ark or Conan. And it is. 100%. I was always interested in those games, but truth is, they looked and played horribly IMO. But I was always interested in the basic idea of the 3d survival game. And this game does that pretty well. Especially if you enjoy the basic gameplay of Fallout.

I feel like most of the criticism is akin to folks complaining that DOA : Xtreme Beach Volley Ball doesn't have a good fighting engine and combos.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    So on the reviews. Am I the only one that came into this game knowing it wasn't a primary Fallout game? I came to this hoping for a better skinned, better engine, more engaging Ark or Conan. And it is. 100%. I was always interested in those games, but truth is, they looked and played horribly IMO. But I was always interested in the basic idea of the 3d survival game. And this game does that pretty well. Especially if you enjoy the basic gameplay of Fallout.

I feel like most of the criticism is akin to folks complaining that DOA : Xtreme Beach Volley Ball doesn't have a good fighting engine and combos.

The draw of games like ARK and Conan (at least for me) is playing on the same server with people you know (or a single-player server where you can tweak the settings), building large, interesting, permanent bases. Seeing what kind of crazy bases other people have built. Taming the environment. There doesn't seem to be any of that in this.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

The draw of games like ARK and Conan (at least for me) is playing on the same server with people you know (or a single-player server where you can tweak the settings), building large, interesting, permanent bases. Seeing what kind of crazy bases other people have built. Taming the environment. There doesn't seem to be any of that in this.

Apparently private servers are coming at some point so that would fill that niche. At the moment though the system they have is a pretty good one for public servers. Not having to worry about offline raiding or people building to block resources.

In terms of co-operative building there’s an element of that in workshops. It’s not huge but it’s there.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

People were definitely doing that in Fallout 4 with their settlements. I don't see why it won't happen here. I've got a nice big 3 story thing I'm building in the hills over Grafton right now.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I just don't see the complaint that there isn't a ton of work put in to this. The world building and environmental story telling is still really great. Some people at Bethesda put a ton of work in to this world. Hand waving it away as sleazy, or not worth the money, because it reuses some assets seems unfortunate to me. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's just one I disagree with.

I think they put a lot of work into it, but not always a lot of forethought.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    So when people say there are no NPCs, they mean there's no-one to Talk to, right? Not that there's no Raiders or Scavs or Enclave Troopers or what have you that you'd fight/run from outside of the Vault eventually?

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    So when people say there are no NPCs, they mean there's no-one to Talk to, right? Not that there's no Raiders or Scavs or Enclave Troopers or what have you that you'd fight/run from outside of the Vault eventually?

No human NPCs anywhere. Any human you see is another player.

(lots of robot NPCs to talk to. And scorched and ghouls to fight.)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Such an odd choice to have made. Perhaps that will change someday with an expansion or something.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Fallout 76 is great.

I've grown up with Fallout - starting with Fallout 2, and then going back to Fallout 1 after Fallout 3.

New Vegas is probably the best of the FPS Fallout games, on account of Obsidian's input and branching quest structure that's the closest successor to the original Deus Ex I've seen.

This is a very different beast. To me it's Fallout 4... without the voluminous bullshit.

Fallout 4 was an enjoyable survival building game with a terrible story and railroaded dialogue.

It's been well discussed elsewhere, but essentially your dialogue choices were:

- Yes
    - Yes, sarcastically
    - Yes, but first I want to know more
    - No, grumpily (but really yes)

This dispenses with this bullshit.

There are audio dialogues, and some of the wonderful environmental story telling Bethesda manages so well, but ultimate you and your friends are the ones to make your own adventure in a Fallout sandpit. Yes, much of that requires shooting as a mandatory practice, but everytime I replayed Fallout 4 with various mod setups, I found myself just trekking across the wastes humming to the radio.

This is that, with all of the Find Shaun(!) bullshit excised.

Also, it has skill checks in the wild. Skill checks. Haven't seen those since New Vegas!

The game is not purporting to be Fallout 5. The hate parade is driven by click-based-profit-margins and frothing subreddit inertia. Most of those shouting the loudest have played it the least.

To each their own. I can only speak as a Fallout fan in that I appreciate the game for what it is: a chance to play through the Wasteland co-op with my brother, something we've wanted to do for years.

Katsuhiro 1139 on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    lots of robot NPCs to talk to.

And Graham.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    So would people who have played this say this has overtures of System Shock, what with having no living -people- for the most part outside of aberrations and robots? (And journal entries, etc.)

Because so far it's sounding like FalloutShock Exiles, which is different but not necessarily bad...

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Fallout 4 was an enjoyable survival building game with a terrible story and railroaded dialogue.

It's been well discussed elsewhere, but essentially your dialogue choices were:

- Yes
    - Yes, sarcastically
    - Yes, but first I want to know more
    - No, grumpily (but really yes)

This dispenses with this bullshit.

Ok, but I fail to see how getting rid of the above non-choice dialogue interaction and replacing it with no dialogue at all is an improvement. Dispensing with bullshit illusion of choice and replacing it with no choice whatsoever isn't, to me, improving or making a better game.

Okay, you can play a Fallout game co-op with your brother, but I don't see why we had to accept regression in other aspects to get there.

• Options
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    So would people who have played this say this has overtures of System Shock, what with having no living -people- for the most part outside of aberrations and robots?

Because so far it's sounding like FalloutShock Exiles, which is different but not necessarily bad...

That is the last game I would have thought to compare it to. I can see how you got there, I guess.

System Shock is setting out to create a very specific atmosphere and narrative. It never gives you any doubt about what it is.

Fallout feels like they intended to have the world feel more alive via player interaction, but that never pans out.

• Options
    Had my first run in with PvP last night. Someone tried to take one of my workshops. It was interesting. I'm level 32. The attackers were 20 and 7. When I first ported in, I had no idea what to expect and hadn't pvp'd at all so I ran in stupidly without my power armor or even a plan. They were obviously way more experienced using this engine in PvP and killed me. I hit the revenge button and put on my power armor. I killed them both soundly. We spent then next 20 minutes of them respawning and me fighting / killing them. They got me one more time by sniping me me when i forgot to heal after they respawned. But it certainly was a weird experience.

• Options
    My first PvP was also last night, over a workshop. Two people tried to take my workshop. I really didn't care since I only took the workshop to see what it was all about, but I figured why not, let's try this out. I ported over and saw them standing there. Both a few levels lower than me. So I pulled out my trusty weighted sledgehammer, charged in, and one-shotted the first guy with a hammer to the face... and then got insta-gibbed by the other guy. :lol:

That was that. I respawned, limped off to my camp, and headed out a different direction...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I really like the game and have played a lot of it (I'm level 70). But it is super broken for a $60 game. It is much more a $30 game that is going to spend 2 years in early access. I think all the reviews are pretty well earned.

I mean half of the perks don't work, event quests randomly don't register so some members of your party have them and some don't, its a multiplayer game but I can't even see who sent me a friend request, the PVP has super weird rules that are easy to cheat, quests randomly disappear until you relog, there is no way to customize controls (why do I have to use "z" and "c" to scroll through options I have a mouse and why do I have to use both tab and esc to exit some menus), quest enemies get randomly stuck underground so you can see there marker but can't attack them, and enemy AI is terrible (they randomly stop attacking or just start running away, pretend they are behind cover in the middle of a field, but most of the time they just run at you and you shoot them a couple of times in their weak point). And I'm not even bothered by weird performance issues.

If they fixed all the bugs it would be a good base game. Then they could add some more objective based PVP or world building maybe something where you had to pick a faction and try to carry out their objects to restore Appalachia. I'm going to continue to play the game but I'm pretty close to seeing everything and once that happens their is little reason to keep playing. Typically in Bethesda games you would roll a new character and see how playing different impacts the story or you could side with a different faction but the only difference in FO76 is you are using rifles instead of shotgun. New character's just change how you do damage.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    The problem with reviewers is that they are all about 24 years old and have never played a Bethesda game before, as shocking as that sounds. So the usual Bethesda "quirks" like:

- a buggy, at best half-tested game

- re-used art assets, a lot of them

- sudden crucial changes in your Toon's status with very little game information about what just happened-- WTF, I'm in a gunfight and my AP just went negative because I need to eat a can of dog food or an event across the map just dropped five pounds of stew into my backpack ?

are not quirks, they are extreme annoyances. Flaws, even. We Bethesda fans have learned to accept them or mod them out, but if you're a 24 year old reviewer just looking to quickly finish up the tutorial mission so you can get back to playing FORNITE or CALL OF DUTY, that's another story.

• Options
    I really love the blueprint function. I've started creating prebuilt defense towers and a 4 square 2 story building that's a public crafting outpost that I drop in contestable workshops. I love the workshop mechanic and usually have 2 or three around the map.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The problem with reviewers is that they are all about 24 years old and have never played a Bethesda game before, as shocking as that sounds. So the usual Bethesda "quirks" like:

- sudden crucial changes in your Toon's status with very little game information about what just happened-- WTF, I'm in a gunfight and my AP just went negative because I need to eat a can of dog food or an event across the map just dropped five pounds of stew into my backpack ?

are not quirks, they are extreme annoyances. Flaws, even. We Bethesda fans have learned to accept them or mod them out, but if you're a 24 year old reviewer just looking to quickly finish up the tutorial mission so you can get back to playing FORNITE or CALL OF DUTY, that's another story.

This is incredibly condescending

"those bloody kid reviewers with their fortnites and call of dutys"

• Options
    I really like the game and have played a lot of it (I'm level 70). But it is super broken for a $60 game. It is much more a $30 game that is going to spend 2 years in early access. I think all the reviews are pretty well earned.

I mean half of the perks don't work, event quests randomly don't register so some members of your party have them and some don't, its a multiplayer game but I can't even see who sent me a friend request, the PVP has super weird rules that are easy to cheat, quests randomly disappear until you relog, there is no way to customize controls (why do I have to use "z" and "c" to scroll through options I have a mouse and why do I have to use both tab and esc to exit some menus), quest enemies get randomly stuck underground so you can see there marker but can't attack them, and enemy AI is terrible (they randomly stop attacking or just start running away, pretend they are behind cover in the middle of a field, but most of the time they just run at you and you shoot them a couple of times in there weak point). And I'm not even bothered by weird performance issues.

If they fixed all the bugs it would be a good base game. Then they could add some more objective based PVP or world building maybe something where you had to pick a faction and try to carry out their objects to restore Appalachia. I'm going to continue to play the game but I'm pretty close to seeing everything and once that happens their is little reason to keep playing. Typically in Bethesda games you would roll a new character and see how playing different impacts the story or you could side with a different faction but the only difference in FO76 is you are using rifles instead of shotgun. New character's just change how you do damage.

Some very good points here.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    One of the mindboggling things about co-op is that EXP isnt shared.

We both have to shoot all the mobs at least once, that feels like something out of a 90’s game.

This sounds more like the reviewers did their job and didnt cut Bethesda any unearned slack for their game that definitely would have improved with an additional 3-6 months of much needed quality assurance.

No idea why Fortnite or Call of Duty is even mentioned here.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun with Metal Gear Survive, despite the mountains of negativity around it at launch, so I always take reviews and such with a grain of salt. I'm only a few hours in, and while it feels like a big budget fan mod, I have no problem with that. I do hope a full fledged Fallout 5 is in the oven, but for what it is 76 is fun enough for me so far. I'm a survival game fan tho, love Subnautica, Long Dark, etc., so coming into it expecting something like that and not Fallout 5 prob helped temper my expectations

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Bethesda is a AAA developer and has been for years, comparing their games to games from indie developers who are just starting out seems kind of misplaced.

I like their games but it is very tiresome to find bugs from Fallout 3 still present in their newest game.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Bethesda is a AAA developer and has been for years, comparing their games to games from indie developers who are just starting out seems kind of misplaced.

I've always been a HUGE fan of mods since the Half-Life days, I meant that as a compliment.

Metal Gear Survive felt like a MGSV big budget fan mod. I enjoyed it personally

Zavian on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Look I mean.... you can still love this game.
    but its very deeply flawed in parts. Doesn't mean there is not fun there, and you cant like it. It just is what it is.

The reviews seem very earned.
    Zavian wrote: »

I've always been a HUGE fan of mods since the Half-Life days, I meant that as a compliment.

Metal Gear Survive felt like a MGSV big budget fan mod. I enjoyed it personally

I bought that game for the same reason i bought this one. And you know what- MG:S has a layer of poop to it (lots of baggage and odd choices)- but also there is some good stuff there.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited November 2018

We both have to shoot all the mobs at least once, that feels like something out of a 90’s game.

I said before, we're watching Bethesda bumblefuck their way through super basic online/mmo issues that every other game figured out years ago.

The really staggering part is I can't tell that there was really any attempt to even consider these basic problems. It's like they went with some weird laissez-faire online version of "the free market will figure out a solution", and replaced free market with multiplayer. Unfortunately that tends to end with a mix of people who shun the multiplayer facet of the game and shitcocks.

I think the game may have some legs when private servers are a thing, but long term I feel it's not "massive" enough to be a compelling MMO experience, not interactive enough to be a compelling single player experience, and not functional enough to be a compelling co-op experience.

Cog on
  • Options
    its a multiplayer game but I can't even see who sent me a friend request

Also, holy shit Bethesda, why does your client not have a friends list function outside the game in 2018?

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Cog wrote: »

I said before, we're watching Bethesda bumblefuck their way through super basic online/mmo issues that every other game figured out years ago.

The really staggering part is I can't tell that there was really any attempt to even consider these basic problems. It's like they went with some weird laissez-faire online version of "the free market will figure out a solution", and replaced free market with multiplayer. Unfortunately that tends to end with a mix of people who shun the multiplayer facet of the game and shitcocks.

I think the game may have some legs when private servers are a thing, but long term I feel it's not "massive" enough to be a compelling MMO experience, not interactive enough to be a compelling single player experience, and not functional enough to be a compelling co-op experience.

And now you add that the game is a service- and there is/wont be alot of people playing it over a long enough timeline which means dlc store isnt making dosh. Which means what? Service goes down faster as "why do something that isnt profitable?"

because they are stumbling on those issues you mentioned their first best shot at success is botched. Can they make it up? sure! But this launch put them in a hole.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    I feel like they also need to look at their player density on their servers, too, cause it often feels like people aren't playing it period. If they want us to interact, I need more people and more people in my level range. I very often have a look around the map and see a few other lonely dots out there in far flung corners of the map, and they're 10-15+ levels off mine. There's no reason for me to encounter them. Seeing another human is jarring in that game because it's so rare.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I think that’s intended

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Then maybe they should have put in some NPCs. :razz:

• Options
    I like it. The world feels desolate and post-nuclear. Just the way I'd imagine.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~