As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trump Cabinet Shakeup

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    PantsB wrote: »
    Ambassador to Estonia seems like a sweet spot for Ambassadorships -in Europe, but not one of the giants so the pressure isn't as extreme. Weather is probably iffy but you could flit around on a Grand Tour basically. You'd think anyone who accepted a role in this WH would be a good enough grifter to jump on that. But then maybe that's why she was fired - neocon enough to get in the door but too earnest about it to stay

Actually, Estonia is easily one of the harder ambassadorships and likely demands a foreign service professional, with extensive knowledge of local politics and espionage tactics. Like... look at what's happened in Ukraine in the past few years. That's the sort of stuff a US ambassador to Estonia might have to deal with. You don't want a novice there when there's a street revolution that might be a secret Russian plot to install a puppet in Estonia, and the US needs to figure out what the hell's going on and how to respond.

Not to mention that the country's probably just crawling with KGB spies on an everyday basis anyways, so, you know, you probably don't want to send over some wife of a big donor CEO without significant counter-espionage training so they don't stupidly walk into a honey trap or something.

(I wuz just looking for the chat thread.)

hippofant on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    The Washington Post have broken the story that Ivanka Trump sent hundreds of emails discussing government business from a private email account, using a domain she shares with her husband Jared Kushner.

The ethics watchdog American Oversight filed a freedom of information request and obtained copies of the emails, which they have screen captured and posted online.

Kyle is a producer with MSNBC.

Ivanka isn’t Cabinet, but given that she and Kushner are in positions of influence in Trump’s administration it seemed to belong here, even if I’m worried that this much irony might make the thread magnetic.

But her emails!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    It really is always projection.

2018 continues to have the hackiest writers.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    The Washington Post have broken the story that Ivanka Trump sent hundreds of emails discussing government business from a private email account, using a domain she shares with her husband Jared Kushner.

The ethics watchdog American Oversight filed a freedom of information request and obtained copies of the emails, which they have screen captured and posted online.

Ivanka isn’t Cabinet, but given that she and Kushner are in positions of influence in Trump’s administration it seemed to belong here, even if I’m worried that this much irony might make the thread magnetic.

But her emails!

Somewhere Bill is trying to talk Hillary down as she very deliberately sharpens a set of knives.

hippofant wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Ambassador to Estonia seems like a sweet spot for Ambassadorships -in Europe, but not one of the giants so the pressure isn't as extreme. Weather is probably iffy but you could flit around on a Grand Tour basically. You'd think anyone who accepted a role in this WH would be a good enough grifter to jump on that. But then maybe that's why she was fired - neocon enough to get in the door but too earnest about it to stay

Actually, Estonia is easily one of the harder ambassadorships and likely demands a foreign service professional, with extensive knowledge of local politics and espionage tactics. Like... look at what's happened in Ukraine in the past few years. That's the sort of stuff a US ambassador to Estonia might have to deal with. You don't want a novice there when there's a street revolution that might be a secret Russian plot to install a puppet in Estonia, and the US needs to figure out what the hell's going on and how to respond.

Not to mention that the country's probably just crawling with KGB spies on an everyday basis anyways, so, you know, you probably don't want to send over some wife of a big donor CEO without significant counter-espionage training so they don't stupidly walk into a honey trap or something.

(I wuz just looking for the chat thread.)

Yeah, the Baltics are basically the front-line with Russia right now, especially given what's happened to Ukraine. That's a position where you put long-serving, highly knowledgeable career diplomats. You know, the kind of people the Trump admin doesn't have and actively ran out of the service.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

But her emails!

Somewhere Bill is trying to talk Hillary down as she very deliberately sharpens a set of knives.

Not a chance. She’s knocking back a glass of Champaign laughing herself into a stupor.

By the way a quick glance at social media shows the early excuse is that this is nothing like Clinton because Ivanka is merely an unpaid advisor, a coffee girl if you will, and when this happened she hadn’t yet been briefed on the rules. That using a personal email for government stuff was bad. Because she didn’t know that.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    A private email that she shares with her husband who was reading the PDBs.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Lock her up I guess

Don't be too hasty. First we should spend a month finding out if her emails ever contained the letter C.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    And hey Russia, if you’re listening...

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    They are.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I imagine clinton's press statement on the issue would look a little like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgflCE7zRpc

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    And this was all because someone at the Small Business Administration is (purposefully?) terrible at redacting email addresses

8zpjp4xe810g.gif

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's gonna come out that everyone in the entire District did or or is doing this.
    But Clinton was, somehow, uniquely hated villainous. Because it's her.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's gonna come out that everyone in the entire District did or or is doing this.
    But Clinton was, somehow, uniquely hated villainous. Because it's her.

Didn't we basically already know this?

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    She's using Outlook.

On an iPhone.

US government business is now conducted via emails with advertisements at the bottom....

hippofant on
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    God if only the raven reaction were still around.

Correct if I'm wrong, but didn't Hillary Clinton at least keep her private email server not only secure, but also advertisement free?

Also incredibly fitting that the daughter of the shitty 80s wannabe republican president, has advertisements running at the bottom of her e-mails for official government business. I mean, might as well go full dystopian future for the stupidest timeline.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    The complaint about the Outlook ad seems kinda petty to me, she's not a paid Microsoft shill. That's the default email signature with Outlook, she's just too lazy/inept to change it to something useful.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Is... is this the same linda McMan that I'm thinking of? The one from the WWF?

Is this real life?

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Is... is this the same linda McMan that I'm thinking of? The one from the WWF?

Is this real life?

Lina McMahon is the Administrator of the Small Business Administration.

She is the same Linda McMahon from the WWE.
    Linda Marie McMahon is an American professional wrestling executive and government official serving as the Administrator of the Small Business Administration in the Trump Administration

Yes this is real life.

Taramoor on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I thought wrestling only re-used plots from seven years ago? They seem to be coming faster here.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Linda doesn't get a lot of spotlight, but she has been part of trumps circle since the beginning.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    emp123 wrote: »
    The complaint about the Outlook ad seems kinda petty to me, she's not a paid Microsoft shill. That's the default email signature with Outlook, she's just too lazy/inept to change it to something useful.

It is the default email signature for a non-government employee email address created privately outside of the Executive Office of the President, yes.

My email signature for my work email never had something like that without having to change anything.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Linda doesn't get a lot of spotlight, but she has been part of trumps circle since the beginning.

I'm so glad she lost the election for CT Senator.

• BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    While it is supremely annoying to see her emails shilling for the tax cuts she otherwise doesn't do anything different from the previous administrator.

I can basically pretend she doesn't exist aside from her emails granting 2 hours of admin leave the day before a federal holiday.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I hope they have better example emails then just setting up a quick meeting, though, or else it's going to be a who cares situation.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I hope they have better example emails then just setting up a quick meeting, though, or else it's going to be a who cares situation.

They never cared in the first place beyond using it as a tool to attack Hillary for.

The reaction any time we find out that basically everyone who climbed to the top of Mount Pious to scream about how terrible Hillary was, was doing the same (if not worse) thing, is to collectively shrug and say “eh, who cares”.

Marathon wrote: »
    They never cared in the first place beyond using it as a tool to attack Hillary for.

The reaction any time we find out that basically everyone who climbed to the top of Mount Pious to scream about how terrible Hillary was, was doing the same (if not worse) thing, is to collectively shrug and say “eh, who cares”.
    Obviously, but the argument with Hillary was about potentially classified info going out. Publishing this story and having an example email of "Can we meet? Cool?! LOVE YOU" isn't quite the same.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

And that's infuriating for me as someone who didn't see the big deal then to find out literally everyone crying about it WAS FUCKING DOING IT THEMSELVES! Its so hard to see blatant hypocrisy answered with a shrug.

On top of Ivanka and Melania being unofficial cabinet members after years of the GOP yelling about the Obama admin having that when they fucking didn't. It's always projection and its always stupid.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2018

Obviously, but the argument with Hillary was about potentially classified info going out. Publishing this story and having an example email of "Can we meet? Cool?! LOVE YOU" isn't quite the same.

Except she never used her personal email for classified information, she used the classified wire system for that. As demonstrated by the yearslong investigations. Hell, one of the Clinton emails was a back and forth about how to make a more creamy risotto. Nobody should care about any of it. The outrage was entirely manufactured. And that was what was even more fucking annoying about it.

moniker on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Between Trump on his phone, Clinton on her personal emails, Ivanka on hers, and Comey on his, I have arrived at one conclusion.

Everyone in the government ignores the rule about not using personal email for official business and nobody is ever going to hold anyone else accountable because it'd mean being held accountable themselves.

Preacher wrote: »

And that's infuriating for me as someone who didn't see the big deal then to find out literally everyone crying about it WAS FUCKING DOING IT THEMSELVES! Its so hard to see blatant hypocrisy answered with a shrug.

On top of Ivanka and Melania being unofficial cabinet members after years of the GOP yelling about the Obama admin having that when they fucking didn't. It's always projection and its always stupid.

It's Newt Gingrich having pillow talk with his mistress about impeaching Bill Clinton over Monica Lewinski. Standards only apply to Democrats.

edited November 2018
    moniker wrote: »
    Except she never used her personal email for classified information, she used the classified wire system for that. As demonstrated by the yearslong investigations. Hell, one of the Clinton emails was a back and forth about how to make a more creamy risotto. Nobody should care about any of it. The outrage was entirely manufactured. And that was what was even more fucking annoying about it.
    Err, no.

BBC article said the FBI some of Hilary's emails were discussing classified info and that she was reckless, but that it wasn't an overly big deal, there would be no files charged. Was it blown out of proportion? Abso-fucking-lutely. Was it all about a creamy risotto? No, it wasn't, and that's simplifying it.

I'm aware of the leanings of this forum and I agree that the emails thing is stupid and used as a weapon that was far too effective for the actual violations, but it was a dumb thing to have the private server to begin with.

Jumping all over Ivanka's emails if they're like the above referenced one is a mistake, though.
    Henroid wrote: »
    Everyone in the government ignores the rule about not using personal email for official business and nobody is ever going to hold anyone else accountable because it'd mean being held accountable themselves.

Pretty much. There's rules in place, but they're not enforced properly and so people do what they want. Colin Powell did it, too (although there were less rules during his time).

This is straying a bit, though, so I'll shut up about zee emails :D.

Bizazedo on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Jared has temporary security clearance. The potential is right there

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Butters wrote: »

Jared has temporary security clearance. The potential is right there
    Yep, and that's why I said (and I'll type again), hey, that's a crap example email, is there one that has any? Even Washington Post is saying it's all personal and logistical stuff, not security clearance items.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Guys, do not rehash Hillary's email thing here oh my god.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Alex Acosta needs to go. And be thrown in federal prison forever.

Though that would be too good for him.

TL;DR

Acosta (when he was US Attorney in Florida) and federal prosecutors gave sex trafficker/slaver/pedophile Jeffrey Epstein a sweetheart deal where he got 13 months in county jail with 12 hours of work release 6 days a week. Because he's rich and has rich friends (Trump, Bill Clinton, Prince Andrew, among others). They never told the victims, a direct violation of federal law. And in fact by the time the deal was unsealed and victims found out about it, he had served his time.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Can you please put the full name of the person you're talking about in your post, since there is also a prominent journalist with that same last name?

And also some sort of summary of the contents of the rather long article.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Obstruction of justice, at the very least. Accessory after the fact. Same ones Lou Anna Simon committed in the Nassar scandal, but with more authority.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
This discussion has been closed.