As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Welcome! Everything is fine. [The Good Place][OPEN SPOILERS]

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I definitely think Eleanor/Tahani is a relationship they're going to explore at some point, could get a really good arc out of it. At this point I'd still expect Eleanor/Chidi to be end game. I can't quite imagine the pivot they'd have to make to have either of them end up with anyone else

And since Tahani (well, and Michael) is the only character without an obvious end-of-series love interest currently, perhaps that arc could establish her as bi and then she ends up with some yet-to-be introduced female character. Not that every character needs to pair off, but Tahani wanting a romantic partner is a pretty big part of her character as established a bunch in season one

And now I've just imagined Michael discovering romance and yes, please do that. Cast Mary Steenburgen as a Good Place representative that he falls for or something

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Which reminds me I missed a bit a couple episodes back and forgot to check it later, did they show what pet Jason got?

He got a penguin that he dressed in a Bortles jersey and named Blake.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2018
    No, they are clearly building towards Eleanor and Chidi. That's why I'm saying I don't think it will happen. But the show could absolutely surprise me. Wouldn't be the first time.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The problem is at this point theyve put so much time into developing Eleanor and Chidi as a thing that if they switched to Eleanor and Tahani it would make all this stuff feel like a dumb meandering waste of time

They haven't actually laid meaningful groundwork for that to be a satisfying plot resolution, beyond "I like this ship" (which, to be clear, I do)

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love the idea!

Just don't think it's going to go that way.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Subverting heterosexual romance is never a waste of time and, quite frankly, is its own reward

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I think there's been enough hints to make it work, but at the very least I think Chidi won't reciprocate Eleanor's feelings because of how this timeline has played out. I do think Chidi and Eleanor are actually soulmates though, such is their bond. I also will be happy either way, but I still have a gut feeling.

Chidi and Eleanor are definitely soulmates, yeah. I'd prefer platonic ones, they've never worked for me as romantic partners

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I want the Eleanor/Tahani ship to come true and if any show can surprise me its The Good Place.

Right now though, they have clearly built up Eleanor and Chidi and if they follow the path of most television that is who will end up together.

But The Good Place rarely follows a path.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Which reminds me I missed a bit a couple episodes back and forgot to check it later, did they show what pet Jason got?

He got a penguin that he dressed in a Bortles jersey and named Blake.

He was also very glad you could get "mythical" animals because he wanted a penguin.

I feel like they're setting up Jason/Janet to be a huge thing that's going to mess everything up this season.

He's ended up with Tahani in the afterlife, and sort of in real life again - and I think always having Janet react poorly to whatever theyre doing together is more than just a gag...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    There's a lot going on here, and all of it is Janet.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    D'Arcy Carden is incredible.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I love stuff that invents a celestial bureaucracy and gets into the bullshit nitty gritty of how it runs
    I especially love when that results in revelations like this week about how long it's been since anyone actually got into the good place, which I've been seeing coming for a couple weeks now but was still a really great reveal

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I am precisely thirty seconds into the latest episode, and this is already my favorite episode of any show ever.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • statlerstatler Registered User regular
    D'Arcy Carden needs all the awards. That was an absolute master class.

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I am precisely thirty seconds into the latest episode, and this is already my favorite episode of any show ever.

Yuuup. I had to pause it right then and there to rant about how amazing D'Arcy Carden is for a minute or two.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    If you guys think that's amazing, you should check out Orphan Black.

sig.gif
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Yeah...D'Arcy is a very good actor.

But Tatiana is some kind of goddamn wizard.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

You can't fool me. That show didn't have any Janets.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited December 2018
    Jedoc wrote: »

You can't fool me. That show didn't have any Janets.
    It's got an Allison though.

Oh boy does it have an Allison.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    just think about the amount of trust you'd have to have in an actor to even broach the idea of this episode. she is so good

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I love body swap episodes. Actors playing other actors is almost always a good time.

steam_sig.png
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    That was the briefest of stops in the Good Place, eh? I thought they'd show us more before shunting everyone off on out of there. Also didn't think we'd be going back to the Judge so soon. Figured that'd be season finale fodder.

I liked it anyway! The maillady trying, and failing, to shake her fist at Michael was great.

Yay! Nicole Byer!

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't think they'll ever show the for real Good Place and Bad Place

Coinage wrote: »
    I don't think they'll ever show the for real Good Place and Bad Place

They technically cant!

It should appear different to everyone.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    the for real good place is like, either something you see maybe one shot of at the very very end, or else you see it way earlier than you expect because it actually sucks

Speed Racer on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    the for real good place is like, either something you see maybe one shot of at the very very end, or else you see it way earlier than you expect because it actually sucks

They certainly show that it is paralyzed by bureaucracy. Also with the last good place person being from the 1500s, having them all be so modern was an interesting look. Do they keep tabs on earth to see what the latest and greatest is?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Were the committee actually people? Or were they... uh whatever all the non-demon functionaries are

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    They’re good place...employees? Custodians?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Were the committee actually people? Or were they... uh whatever all the non-demon functionaries are

I would guess they're Angels but like the demons they wear human suits to better understand their charges

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    It doesn't make a ton of sense that the angels would dress like modern humans but it was probably the right call to prioritize maintaining the show's aesthetic over having absolutely flawless story logic

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    For some reason I’m much more okay referring to Shawn etc as demons than I am calling the good place people angels

Except for Nicole Byer

Javen on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean they're probably actually like Thrones or Principalities

I feel like someone said, "I have a role for Nicole Byer to play. Let's write an episode around that."

Because really, we didn't NEED this episode at all. Except for Michael seeing the reason for the points issue with the good and bad place nothing else essential really happened.

To be fair, I would like it if every show wrote an episode around a Nicole Byer played character.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I think

All three plots were important?

Like it would be weird if we didn’t get to see Eleanor/Chidi be a couple or if Jason didn’t confront Janet/if Janet didn’t have trouble processing her new emotions

That stuff had to happen

Oh man you could make a show that's nothing but D'arcy and Tatiana
    I feel like someone said, "I have a role for Nicole Byer to play. Let's write an episode around that."

Because really, we didn't NEED this episode at all. Except for Michael seeing the reason for the points issue with the good and bad place nothing else essential really happened.

To be fair, I would like it if every show wrote an episode around a Nicole Byer played character.

We needed this episode as much as we needed any of them. In addition to the character progression bits Jimothy mentioned, seeing what the Good Place is like and learning that part of the issue with trying to fix anything is that they're far too bureaucratic to ever get anything done is as important as anything for the mythology and overarching story of the show. It's frankly shocking that the Bad Place doesn't fuck with them more often, they're incredible rubes.

Absolutely baffling to me that you could watch that ep and say "none of this is important.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited January 2019
    I know this is probably a half-forgotten draft, but...
    Also toss in Enver Gjokaj as a recurring. That'd be awesome.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    I know this is probably a half-forgotten draft, but...
    Also toss in Enver Gjokaj as a recurring. That'd be awesome.

D'arcy, Tatiana, Enver, and Dichen Lachman in some sort of Fringe-ass contemplative sci-fi meets insane high-stakes action would basically be my dream show.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Give them access to The Americans makeup and hair department, and you could probably just make a regular non sci-fi show with just those four actors playing every single part, and I bet half the viewers wouldn't even notice.