As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking Thread] Burning questions and searing remarks

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Redemption:

oq8ah0tzgdp0.jpeg

Sort of like sopes

TJs polenta
    Some leftover Ropa Vieja
    Onions, cilantro, a little squeeze of lime, sprinkle of salt

Took yalls advice: nonstick pan, a little oil, hotter pan, which did the trick

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    When your parents and GF likes things burnt it sure makes grilling easy lol

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Fire hides many sins.

I gave my surf and turf plan a test run - the juiciness of the meats made setting up a nice photo hard. :biggrin: When I do the actual run, I learned that I need to do the steak first, then the scallops, since the steak needs more resting time,

Definitely looking forward to doing this again - the seared steak and scallops were fantastic, as was the brown rice risotto. I also did a lot of white wine 'research' - sauvignon blanc for the risotto, riesling for the table wine.

OmTu8pA.jpg

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Daaaaang, that looks delicious. Well done!
    Or, rather, medium-rare ho ho ho!

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, this is serious - the CDC is advising that all romaine lettuce and products containing such should be discarded:
    CDC, public health and regulatory officials in several states, Canada, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are investigating a multistate outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 (E. coli O157:H7) infections linked to romaine lettuce.

CDC is advising that U.S. consumers not eat any romaine lettuce, and retailers and restaurants not serve or sell any, until we learn more about the outbreak. This investigation is ongoing and the advice will be updated as more information is available.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, this is serious - the CDC is advising that all romaine lettuce and products containing such should be discarded:
    CDC, public health and regulatory officials in several states, Canada, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are investigating a multistate outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7 (E. coli O157:H7) infections linked to romaine lettuce.

CDC is advising that U.S. consumers not eat any romaine lettuce, and retailers and restaurants not serve or sell any, until we learn more about the outbreak. This investigation is ongoing and the advice will be updated as more information is available.

Well, I guess my plans for a Thanksgiving Ceaser salad are out the window. More room for pie.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I literally made salad from romaine hearts earlier today, and I still have some to eat. Granted, these hearts are about 1-2 weeks old.

..........?

Mugsley wrote: »
    I literally made salad from romaine hearts earlier today, and I still have some to eat. Granted, these hearts are about 1-2 weeks old.

..........?

Nope.

I still don't know if that's good or bad!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I still don't know if that's good or bad!

If you gonna get sick from what you ate earlier, it's too late already.

Don't roll the dice some more though.

Get some good rest.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I saw this warning on my news page literally 60 seconds before preparing my lunch that I was planning on eating with baby romaine lettuce.

Lunchtime has now passed. I have a confession. I bet you can guess.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Nice. Ate some romaine today, yesterday, and the day before. So much for trying to eat healthier.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I guess it's back to iceberg because everything else feels like I'm eating just soggy leaves (which, in perspective, that is 100% what they are, but still, I wanted the crunchiness).

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I pretty much only do arugula salads now mostly because I think it has more flavor lettuce. It would be nice if I also wasn't doing it to avoid food poisoning.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Yeah, this is irritating because Romaine was the best lettuce.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Why is it always romaine? I had some yesterday

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I pretty much only do arugula salads now mostly because I think it has more flavor lettuce. It would be nice if I also wasn't doing it to avoid food poisoning.

I mean, bitter ass is a flavor

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    RedTide wrote: »

I mean, bitter ass is a flavor

It's usually served with either a pickle brine based vinaigrette where the savoriness balances the bitterness and pairs with the pepperiness or a balsamic vinaigrette using actual aged balsamic where the bitter and sweet work together like dark chocolate and the like. But it's not for everyone.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    I like arugula

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I just had Boston lettuce for the first time a few days ago and that is super delightful

I just had Boston lettuce for the first time a few days ago and that is super delightful

Now I'm picturing a head of lettuce punching you in the mouth and telling you about how his cousin knows a guy who knows a guy who's got salad dressing.

I'm making steak sandwiches tonight. I decide to make homemade mayo for the first time (worked out great) and then turn it into a honey-lime-garlic mayo.

Then I'm staring a bowl full of left-over lime juice. I had no other choice.

"Well, I guess it's daiquiri time."

edited November 2018
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm making steak sandwiches tonight. I decide to make homemade mayo for the first time (worked out great) and then turn it into a honey-lime-garlic mayo.

Well it could have been margaritas, so you had a choice, technically?

VishNub on

Homemade mayo is great for adding in other flavors. I've done a basil mayo with a touch of anchovy a few times.

It's also really easy if you have an immersion blender and a mason jar just big enough to fit it in: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

Steam Profile
    VishNub wrote: »

Well it could have been margaritas, so you had a choice, technically?

I don't have any tequila and sadly am out of Cointreau though. So there really was only the one choice.

Homemade mayo is great for adding in other flavors. I've done a basil mayo with a touch of anchovy a few times.

It's also really easy if you have an immersion blender and a mason jar just big enough to fit it in: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

Yeah, that's the one I did. I've been looking for a good container for it and then I noticed that my immersion blender actually came with it's own container, so I was set. Stupid easy recipe. Only problem is it makes just way too fucking much.

Yeah, that's the one I did. I've been looking for a good container for it and then I noticed that my immersion blender actually came with it's own container, so I was set. Stupid easy recipe. Only problem is it makes just way too fucking much.

I adjusted the oil level a bit so it didn't make so much but they key for me was making a flavor that would work well on bread because it was still too much to use even on a week's worth of burgers. There's no good way to halve an egg to really reduce how much you make at once.

Steam Profile
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Arugula is great !

Romaine would only be my go to for caesar salad

Also fun to grill

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Not technically cooking but I picked up and shucked a bunch of oysters myself!

y6cwaaqryonn.jpeg

Really tasty

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    hey cooking thread!

I made chili with finely diced onions and crushed, NON-fire-roasted tomatoes instead of green onion and fire roasted toms, and I had a really hard time building the spice level up without having it just taste like cayenne. All else in the recipe was the same, and I've done this recipe (with green onion and fire-roasted) countless times without having this problem.

I don't cook with onion much - could diced onion maybe have somehow dampened the spice in the chili?

Was it a new package of cayenne maybe?

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    hey cooking thread!

I made chili with finely diced onions and crushed, NON-fire-roasted tomatoes instead of green onion and fire roasted toms, and I had a really hard time building the spice level up without having it just taste like cayenne. All else in the recipe was the same, and I've done this recipe (with green onion and fire-roasted) countless times without having this problem.

I don't cook with onion much - could diced onion maybe have somehow dampened the spice in the chili?

Either two things, or combo of both. The cayenne is old and has lost it's heat/flavor, and two there's a heck of a lot more water in a white/yellow onion vs green onions, so you definitely have more liquid in the chili which could dilute from previous measurements.

edited November 2018
    "Regular" onions should actually be sweated and slightly browned to add sweetness. It's possible they were dampening or otherwise reducing the effects of some of the spices so you could only taste cayenne. (also what @Simpsonia said about water)

I always use yellow onions for my chili, but I have to keep the spice level low, so I only add a small amount of cayenne and maybe a teaspoon of chili powder. I add curry powder to round out the flavor profile. I also use more cumin than most recipes (they often call for maybe a couple teaspoons but I use a minimum of a tablespoon).

If I had my way, I'd use adobo sauce from chipotle peppers a LOT more often.

Mugsley on
    I'll be honest, I don't even use chili powder or cayenne for chili anymore. I just mix in a small can of chipotles in adobo and a big heaping tablespoon of [black] mole paste, and those two things alone make a chili leagues better than any powdered seasoning ever did.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ok so, details!

I diced, very finely via food processor, half a standard white onion and sauteed it in the pan with the bell pepper and garlic that I usually begin with. After that I added a tablespoon of masa as usual to thicken it, and stirred to begin what would be a roux if I'd let it go farther / added more oil but I did not.

I don't think it was extra liquid as this chili gets 2-2 tomatoes-water and is reduced / refuelled usually twice, sometimes three times as the chili develops.

The cayenne was brand new, as was the "chili powder" blend I used.

I used the same spice blend 2 weeks ago with notably different results!

As for amount, I think I probably used close to a tablespoon of cayenne overall and at least 3x that much chili blend (which also has cayenne in it). It's hard to tell because I taste as I go and look for that point where I can tell it's got a bit of a texture change and a pure cayenne burn that will change in to a flavorful spice once I let it sit and cook down, and then stop seasoning and reduce to let the flavor develop / deepen. This time, it just... never did...

Kamiro wrote: »
    Have you thought of using beaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaans?
    begone, foul creature!

Simpsonia wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I don't even use chili powder or cayenne for chili anymore. I just mix in a small can of chipotles in adobo and a big heaping tablespoon of [black] mole paste, and those two things alone make a chili leagues better than any powdered seasoning ever did.
    seems like that would make the chili a LOT sweeter and imo weird. Mole has chocolate and cinnamon in it!

seems like that would make the chili a LOT sweeter and imo weird. Mole has chocolate and cinnamon in it!

It doesn't. Neither chocolate nor cinnamon are sweet in the least. Granted, they are often paired with sugar for sweet dishes, but by themselves neither is sweet at all. In fact both are actually more bitter than sweet in their constituent forms. Beyond that, both the cocoa and cinnamon flavors are usually very faint in mole itself, mole is primarily a mixture of different chili peppers. That's what I'm using it here for, as a quick and dirty way to get the flavor profiles from many different chili peppers (ancho, guajillo, pasilla, oxacan negro) into the chili.

Though this could also be affected by the quality of mole that you have available in your neck of the woods. In Chicago we have a large hispanic population, so we get actual imports from Oaxaca rather than the ubiquitous Dona Maria (which isn't bad, just not as good).

That said, chocolate (dark) and cinnamon are amazing in savory dishes. Cinnamon is a primary flavor in a lot of savory Moroccan cuisine, and is delicious!

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

It doesn't. Neither chocolate nor cinnamon are sweet in the least. Granted, they are often paired with sugar for sweet dishes, but by themselves neither is sweet at all. In fact both are actually more bitter than sweet in their constituent forms. Beyond that, both the cocoa and cinnamon flavors are usually very faint in mole itself, mole is primarily a mixture of different chili peppers. That's what I'm using it here for, as a quick and dirty way to get the flavor profiles from many different chili peppers (ancho, guajillo, pasilla, oxacan negro) into the chili.

Though this could also be affected by the quality of mole that you have available in your neck of the woods. In Chicago we have a large hispanic population, so we get actual imports from Oaxaca rather than the ubiquitous Dona Maria (which isn't bad, just not as good).

That said, chocolate (dark) and cinnamon are amazing in savory dishes. Cinnamon is a primary flavor in a lot of savory Moroccan cuisine, and is delicious!

I'll second the chocolate thing. Get yourself a big old lump of high quality unsweetened dark chocolate and throw it in the chili. A cinnamon stick stuck in there like a bay leaf is good too.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i put cinnamon in my chili on the reg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    The cayenne was brand new, as was the "chili powder" blend I used.

I used the same spice blend 2 weeks ago with notably different results!

It could be as simple as individual variation between packages, unless you're saying it was the same package both times.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i put cinnamon in my chili on the reg

seconded. I religiously use 2 different dried chilis, paprika, cumin, and cinnamon, then grind all that shit up into a sinister paste to start the base of any meat only chili I make.