As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Is there anyone that likes Gnome 3? Only DE I've ever seen get more hate is Unity.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Is there anyone that likes Gnome 3? Only DE I've ever seen get more hate is Unity.

We exist. Back when I was window-manager-hopping in the Gnome 2 days, I designed my ideal desktop on a sheet of paper, then tried to get there using Openbox, xfce-launcher, etc. I didn’t get there, but what I wanted was very close to Gnome 3, right down to the “corner motion activates expose” action.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    ...I like Gnome 3. I kinda just does everything I need it to.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    If you want the real Budgie experience, try Solus. I tried it for over a year and I was a fan.

Only reason I switched back to Ubuntu was because I needed certain packages (for work) not available in the Solus repos, but I would call that a corner case at best.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Gnome 3 is the default desktop in Ubuntu 18.04? Is there a reason I should be sneering at it? It kind feels like a window-based GUI that happens to not be Windows Classic. Which is to say that it's definitely different, but it behaves approximately as I expect.

• Options
    I don't understand or get the complaints about Gnome 3 but I think that's because I've also never dug into them.

I do not like Ubuntu in general, though. I am a huge fan of application menus and severely dislike search functions pretending to be application menus.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I am generally a KDE guy but XFCE is awesome for minimalist installs or lower end machines.

Gnome is completely inoffensive and has worked fine every time I've tried it so I don't get the hate either.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Gnome reverses the ok/cancel buttons. It's 100% unusable garbage. All GTK apps should die.

• Options
    I ask because it's the only Linux distro I have tried. I wondered if I'm missing out on some superawsome GUI hookers and blackjack or something.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    I ask because it's the only Linux distro I have tried. I wondered if I'm missing out on some superawsome GUI hookers and blackjack or something.

I mean, in all seriousness, it's probably fine (I haven't used it in awhile because while my above post was in jest, I do not like GTK). A lot of the complaints around Gnome are a lack of or hiding of features; if you find you can't do what you want with the window manager, switch to KDE and give that a try, otherwise you're not missing anything.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

There's no better way to find out than to start installing all of the window managers to see what you like and then break your system in some arcane way and have to reinstall.

Or you can download a whole bunch of distros and install all of them one by one only to find out that the one you were originally using is the one you like best and what's this you accidentally deleted your home folder that you had expressly put into another partition to avoid losing any of your data and now you have to reacquire all of your TV shows and movies and redownload ~750GB of Steam games you had installed for no particular reason and goddamnit you had all of your tax info in your Documents folder and nowhere else.

Both of these scenarios may or may not have occurred in the Facepunch household. I ain't telling. Either scenario results in what I may or may not call a "nerd evening/weekend" as things get put back together. Or perhaps they don't because this has never happened. Or has it?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Whenever I'm contemplating a big change in my work environment, I take a couple of my current projects and try things out in a virtual machine.

I did this on Windows before the switch to Linux, again before moving to xfce, before upgrading to 18.04, and most recently before going ultrawide with i3.

So many things broke along the way, but everything was safely contained in an easily restored sandbox. Also had the extra benefit of letting me stay with my current setup if I didn't end up liking the new one, without having to spend time restoring old configurations.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    Or perhaps they don't because this has never happened. Or has it?

I don't know. I lost my home directory and now I can't remember.

• Options

There's no better way to find out than to start installing all of the window managers to see what you like and then break your system in some arcane way and have to reinstall.

Or you can download a whole bunch of distros and install all of them one by one only to find out that the one you were originally using is the one you like best and what's this you accidentally deleted your home folder that you had expressly put into another partition to avoid losing any of your data and now you have to reacquire all of your TV shows and movies and redownload ~750GB of Steam games you had installed for no particular reason and goddamnit you had all of your tax info in your Documents folder and nowhere else.

Both of these scenarios may or may not have occurred in the Facepunch household. I ain't telling. Either scenario results in what I may or may not call a "nerd evening/weekend" as things get put back together. Or perhaps they don't because this has never happened. Or has it?

My problem has been that when I reinstall there's always some fucking thing in my .config folder that wants to make everything a terrible experience when I go to a new distro. So I've taken to either torching my .config or cherry-picking what I want to keep from my home folder and starting fresh each time.

• Options

I switched to Linux in order to run the programs I want to use without undue fuckery (I am good and sick of being told I don't have "permission" to do things on my own PC) and without being advertised to by my own PC.

Everything works. I am strongly disinclined to fuck with the setup I have while this is the case*; rolling the dice on a 96%-optimised setup in the hope of getting a 98% seems like a poor bet, and even if it succeeds, a very long time to recoup my investment of time and effort. if there's not some blackjack-and-hookers goodness I'm missing out on, I'll leave it as is.

*My Windows 7 install lasted something like 7 or 8 years.

• Options
    You’re no fun at all, @V1m.

• Options
    When this vanilla Ubuntu install eventually goes wrong in some way, I promise to experiment!

• Options
    The WINE project continues with its outstanding momentum; https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-4.0-Release-Plan

tldr: Incorporation of all feature releases and updates this year into the new Stable release, code freeze planned at Dec 7th. WINE 4.0 due for release January.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    So I finally got everything up and running, and transferred all the stuff from my old Windows PC over to my new Linux desktop.

I was worried about Steam not being able to run most of my games (Skyrim failed miserably, for example), but as it turns out most of the stuff I want to play has native Linux installs (CS:GO and CK2). Alt-tabbing in Mint is also faaaaar better than in Windows - before, any time I alt-tabbed out of a Valve game it led to massive slowdowns and lag. Now I can alt-tab out of CS:GO and not even notice any frame drops.

This desktop is rock solid and I love it!

• Options
    Darklyre wrote: »
    So I finally got everything up and running, and transferred all the stuff from my old Windows PC over to my new Linux desktop.

I was worried about Steam not being able to run most of my games (Skyrim failed miserably, for example), but as it turns out most of the stuff I want to play has native Linux installs (CS:GO and CK2). Alt-tabbing in Mint is also faaaaar better than in Windows - before, any time I alt-tabbed out of a Valve game it led to massive slowdowns and lag. Now I can alt-tab out of CS:GO and not even notice any frame drops.

I have definitely seen people talking about playing Skyrim on Linux, so it's doable.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Darklyre wrote: »

I have definitely seen people talking about playing Skyrim on Linux, so it's doable.

Yeah, I think it has something to do with my DX11 drivers or whatnot. I get as far as the splash screen and it just freezes. I'm sure I'll figure it out at some point.

• Options
    protondb.com is your friend. Search for game, look at the most recent reports, see what tweaks people have made to get it working.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    On my walk home tonight:
    bqg9hmmi1ei0.jpg

15.04 is a choice, I guess?

• Options
    It's technically a choice.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    *edit* wrong thread

Jasconius on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

It’s the worst Linux DE, aside from all the other ones.

Just kidding, Budgie is pretty good.

To be real, there was a period about 10 years ago when Desktop Linux was great, but I have a real hard time going back to it in a post Mac supremacy world.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    We've got IT in the office today and tomorrow installing Windows 10.

This makes me very sad.

• Options
    Steam play now lets you force running the Windows version through proton when a native version of a game exists. Can be handy for games with shitty ports. Tomb Raider 2013 for instance which runs like shit compared to Rise of the Tomb Raider despite the newer game looking much better.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Trying stick with Antergos for a while. Any of you arch heads know what the best way to update an Arch-based system with some AUR packages currently is? Right now I'm just running "yay" without any arguments and it seems to work fine?

• Options
    There's a new Proton update (3.8.~) out. Seems to have fixed a swathe of compatibility issues.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Has anyone been able to get Divinity II to work on Proton without sacrificing a goat?

Also, what’s a good distro to run VMware? I’d like to use PS4 Remote Play on my desktop in the basement and apparently VMware Player doesn’t work with rolling releases, which kneecaps my Manjaro install.

Descendant X on
  • Options
    Have the opportunity at the moment to distro swap. May as well try the whole arch/i3 thing I guess.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Oh man, you’ll have fun with that. I loved my Arch install; pity it was so much of a fight to get things to work at times.

• Options
    I figure it'll be a struggle for a bit, but I have everything important backed up already, don't require immediate access to anything for the next week, and getting back to my current Mint/MATE setup is like a <1hr job if necessary.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I’m probably going to have to do a distro change as well for a number of reasons, mostly to be able to run VMware but also to set up proper drives for games and media.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Anyone got a recommendation for a cloud storage solution that works on linux with a client, other than dropbox? I would love to use OneDrive, but that's hit or miss.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Nextcloud? Our Linux Users Group had a presentation about it over 2 years ago:
    https://rawgit.com/chuckf/nextcloud_talk/master/nextcloud_presentation.html

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    Nextcloud? Our Linux Users Group had a presentation about it over 2 years ago:
    https://rawgit.com/chuckf/nextcloud_talk/master/nextcloud_presentation.html

If I remember right, Nextcloud is a fork of Owncloud. While I've had good experiences with Owncloud, I was ultimately unimpressed with their mobile app. Also you have to build your own server for it, they don't have an actual cloud to work with, despite the name.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Ah, misread the comment.
    Yeah you do setup your own cloud.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    I miss Ubuntu One's file cloud. All they had to do was charge for it.