As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yeah I think seeing humans in general is supposed to be rare hence no nod and limited players

It’s supposed to feel lonely

616610-1.png
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Hmm. I was working on my fun mountain top base and I hit the build budget cap much sooner than I expected. With all the little nicknacks and furniture plans they dole out constantly, I'm surprised they don't give you a ton of breathing room to fill up your place.

I wonder what particular things take up the budget badly. Hell, I didn't even look. Is there a listing on how much budget they take up when built? I wouldn't think they'd make the crafting stations too bad. Since their pretty essential. I'll have to dig more into this. I want to put up more glowing powered posters.

cptrugged on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Then maybe they should have put in some NPCs. :razz:
    I like it. The world feels desolate and post-nuclear. Just the way I'd imagine.

Agree with Pixie. The game has a lot of flaws, but personally I don’t consider the lack of NPCs one of them. The world is dead.. The Scorched have largely wiped out what small pockets of civilization managed to survive the war, and you’re sifting through the wreckage.

5gsowHm.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

The illusion kind of breaks when the only people you met in the last session were xXxSephirothxXx and his friend Noscopezz420.

Sirialis on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Sirialis wrote: »

The illusion kind of breaks when the only people you met in a session were xXxSephirothxXx and his friend Noscopezz420.

Isn't the lore kind of supposed to be vault 76 ended up nuking themselves instead of rebuilding society despite it being filled with regular people? it kind of fits

Zavian on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I'll give you that. I hate that it uses account names for everything. Not that character names would be a lot better, probably. But I don't know a good way to improve that.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Such an odd choice to have made. Perhaps that will change someday with an expansion or something.

It's almost certainly going to change and on purpose. They have said they are going to be opening the other vaults up with content patches, and as far as I have discovered only one is probably "failed."

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I actually met a guy called bigdicktits in F76 yesterday.

I ran into "ToddHoward76" yesterday...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Yeah morbid curiosity got the better of me.

2 dumb things-
    1) Wow.... they really left no one in the vault? Like, I knew no npcs in the world.... But like we are done with the safe space that is the vault?
    2) Scorched are infuriatingly lazy/convoluted. They wanted enemies that used weapons but clearly were told no NPCs... like there was a argument. I dunno.

Actual Stuff-

Am i expected to plop down my camp - deal with loot situation and move it often?
    Im out adventuring and filling up.... just praying i find a bench to scrap stuff.....

Game is OK.... they are going for the looty bits of fo4 and this is that. at the cost of all else, this is that.

I don't see it here either but in a first for Bethesda - this patch fixed 144 refresh + physics. Finally no tinkering high framerate Bethesda game. Well.... you still have to edit an ini to take out vsync- but no speed up physics. it just works.

The dumb bits, just because I wondered about this when I first left the vault:

1) There is a terminal..somewhere, I forget where, in the vault that explains why everyone is abandoning it.
    This is in-universe as designed; when the door was opened, to encourage people to leave and resettle, and not just fort up in the vault, the systems were set to shut down over time. Staying in the vault is a short route to asphyxiation, starvation and death
    2) I'm..not sure what the issue is with Scorched? I rather like the Lore I've had from them up until now; I mean I'm only L25, so I suspect I haven't picked up on everything yet...

CroakerBC on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    The problem with reviewers is that they are all about 24 years old and have never played a Bethesda game before, as shocking as that sounds. So the usual Bethesda "quirks" like:

- a buggy, at best half-tested game

- re-used art assets, a lot of them

- sudden crucial changes in your Toon's status with very little game information about what just happened-- WTF, I'm in a gunfight and my AP just went negative because I need to eat a can of dog food or an event across the map just dropped five pounds of stew into my backpack ?

are not quirks, they are extreme annoyances. Flaws, even. We Bethesda fans have learned to accept them or mod them out, but if you're a 24 year old reviewer just looking to quickly finish up the tutorial mission so you can get back to playing FORNITE or CALL OF DUTY, that's another story.

Why would I accept Bethesda fucking up just because they do it consantly?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I'll give you that. I hate that it uses account names for everything. Not that character names would be a lot better, probably. But I don't know a good way to improve that.

Just like.... the same way every other MMORPG does it...?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm enjoying the game immensely, but it is absolutely not without some serious flaws. I'm not worried about the games future, Bethesda is a big enough developer and Fallout an important enough franchise that I think they'll get it tidied up and add some good content. But I absolutely understand the logically thought out critiques that are negative. They are mostly deserved.

Looking at the wider internet discussion (which I really don't recommend, the frothing entitlement brigade is definitely out in force), you can definitely see that there are a lot of people who don't get this. On both sides of the argument. A game can be a total mess, broken and flawed...and still generate enjoyment. Everyone has a different tolerance level for quirky games. I played more DayZ than I'd ever like to admit, my tolerance level for quirky, broken, shit is very high. Not everyone is going to share that opinion.

People willing to accept a certain level of jank and still extract enjoyment from something are no more right or wrong than people who want a not-broken mess for their 60 bucks.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited November 2018
    I can deal with bugs/features/endearing quirks from the game engine when they're not showstopping. I can respect design decisions I simply disagree with. This game has 'em in spades, but it has a core gameplay loop that makes me happy and I'll look past them.

The thing that's getting my goat with this game is there's design decisions I would consider mind boggling, or willfully ignorant.

But I still wanna see if there's duct tape in that fucking cabinet...

Cog on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The occasional scripting goof or weird model behavior is fine, and i know thats usually what people refer to with Bethesda.

But i have yet to play this game without at least one hard crash

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Then maybe they should have put in some NPCs. :razz:

Agree with Pixie. The game has a lot of flaws, but personally I don’t consider the lack of NPCs one of them. The world is dead.. The Scorched have largely wiped out what small pockets of civilization managed to survive the war, and you’re sifting through the wreckage.

But it's hard to care about a dead world. Sure, it's a gigantic sandbox where you can do whatever, but with nothing at stake and no story or "human" interaction to get you invested, many players seem to be running out of motivation quickly.

Ironically, despite always being set in a post-apocalyptic world, Fallout games always pulled you in with interesting NPCs, their stories and how you could interact with them, and resolve the conflicts between them and their different agendas.

I considered Bethesda's decision to go completely without NPCs in their Fallout MMO "brave" even before release, to put it mildly, and I do think it has come back to bite them. Well, it might've been fine if they doubled-down on some other aspect like PVP or cooperative play, but neither of those seem to be implemented well either.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

Yeah well, that's fair too. I CTD'd when (as far as I could tell?) the buff from my Random Bottle Of Booze™ wore off. And there's been a couple of times where I've clicked "Play" and gone away for a minute and come back and browsed on my phone and realized after a few minutes that my login was taking a hell of a long time, and had to kill the process and relaunch the game all over.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Oddly I've had no hard crashes. Several server disconnections, but never a hard CTD. The joys of PC gaming.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling

And how would that be? I play an embarrassing number of MMOS and every one of them is full of Bigdick McDickus and Tigolbiddies.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited November 2018

And how would that be? I play an embarrassing number of MMOS and every one of them is full of Bigdick McDickus and Tigolbiddies.

Display character names instead of account names, have even the most modest of text filters, and the ability to report offensive names.

That is absolutely a better option than "cocks dicks lol open mic for everyone"

Cog on

Display character names instead of account names, have even the most modest of text filters, and the ability to report offensive names.

Which is essentially what I said in the first place. :wink: It wouldn't be a lot better (in terms of immersion) but it would be better.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Listen. Some of us have very influential friends in Rome named Biggus Dickus.

:p

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

Listen. Some of us have very influential friends in Rome named Biggus Dickus.

:p

:snicker:

5gsowHm.png

Which is essentially what I said in the first place. :wink: It wouldn't be a lot better (in terms of immersion) but it would be better.

Okay, sure. The tone of your post was kinda "well it wouldn't really be any better so what can you do/why bother". Sorry, I guess I misread you.

Okay, sure. The tone of your post was kinda "well it wouldn't really be any better so what can you do/why bother". Sorry, I guess I misread you.

Sorry about that. I blame "inability to post coherently" on being sick. (aside: plzkillmenow.jpg)

But yeah, basically to try to restate: I would much rather they used character names instead of account names, and had the usual MMO filters, but in the end it would still be immersion breaking even running into clean names that are often still just dumb, or bad puns, or pop culture references, or whatever. I don't know of any way that MMOs will ever get people primarily using lore-appropriate, non-immersion-breaking names.

I think we're pretty much on the same page there?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

Yep. I will say that character names over account names are almost guaranteed to be better simply because I assume that many people never expected, when selecting their account name, that it would be eventually thrust upon them as their character name. If so, I suspect they would have been more discerning with their account name selection.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    So how am I supposed to fight Scorchbeasts with melee, again...? Is there some sonic bomb that I need to force them to land?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    So how am I supposed to fight Scorchbeasts with melee, again...? Is there some sonic bomb that I need to force them to land?

They usually will land and fight you. I use shotguns and have to wait until they land. They are extremely buggy though and sometimes get stuck doing their sonic attack on loop or sometimes the will shoot the sonic attack super fast like 20 times in a second. If you really want to fight them the best place for a short range character is next to the missile bases setup around the cranberry bog region.

Time is a flat circle
    I kind of miss my strength based melee / heavy weapons build from Fallout 4. I decided to try sneaky sniper this time as it's a build I've never done before. It's fun. But I'm gonna miss those moments of Ride of Valkyries coming on the classic radio station right as I pull out my minigun and go wading into some infested building.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Hmm. I was working on my fun mountain top base and I hit the build budget cap much sooner than I expected. With all the little nicknacks and furniture plans they dole out constantly, I'm surprised they don't give you a ton of breathing room to fill up your place.

I wonder what particular things take up the budget badly. Hell, I didn't even look. Is there a listing on how much budget they take up when built? I wouldn't think they'd make the crafting stations too bad. Since their pretty essential. I'll have to dig more into this. I want to put up more glowing powered posters.

Turrets use up a massive amount on budget. The decorations and stuff use tiny amounts. It does seem to increase but god knows why, it’s either level or statistic based.

On a related note advanced turrets only require perks to build, there are no patterns to find, the perk instantly unlocks them. The turrets are significantly better than the basic versions.

My base now shoots missiles, it’s hilarious.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Now if only you could make it pink...

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Red Dead Fallout 76

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Argh, I really need to find where the Brotherhood vendorbot is.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Sorry about that. I blame "inability to post coherently" on being sick. (aside: plzkillmenow.jpg)

But yeah, basically to try to restate: I would much rather they used character names instead of account names, and had the usual MMO filters, but in the end it would still be immersion breaking even running into clean names that are often still just dumb, or bad puns, or pop culture references, or whatever. I don't know of any way that MMOs will ever get people primarily using lore-appropriate, non-immersion-breaking names.

RP servers for Fallout 74 would be fun imo

Zavian on
    Strikor wrote: »
    Red Dead Fallout 76

Yes.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I have a mutation that lets me jump twice as high and carry 20 lbs more in exchange for -4 intelligence. It’s wonderful and I guess I’ll be turning into a puddle of radioactive goo because I’m never using RadAway again.

BionicPenguin on
  • Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    From what I'm seeing heavy weapons need a serious buff - picked up an MG42 and it does 13 damage compared to the hunting rifle which hovers around 85 or so without perks.

They both use the same ammunition pool. While I play a stealthy type, the logical balance for carrying a heavy weapon should be the weight vs the killing potential.

Level 62 atm - mainly focusing on getting my buddies sorted with their first set of power armour.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Uh, did you guys know there are resource points you can build extractors on outside of workshops, and so as such are buildable in your normal camp?

Because I had no clue.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Uh, did you guys know there are resource points you can build extractors on outside of workshops, and so as such are buildable in your normal camp?

Because I had no clue.

Yep. There are even some junk points, that seem to be most common along rivers!