As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash]: New New Season

1161718192022»

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Enjoyed ep 1 of the new season...
    I think the Speed Force must directly interfere with the part of speedsters' brains that handles rational decision-making as regards time travel hijinks.

I did really appreciate, though, that when they discovered time travel shenanigans were underfoot they immediately reached out to their friends who have a time ship and do time travel hijinks for a living. It always annoys me when one of the Arrowverse teams runs into a problem that obviously calls for the expertise/abilities of one of the others and nobody says, like, "Hey, our friend who can breath in space and isn't a dark-matter-based metahuman could probably help us prevent the end of human intelligence pretty easily, or 'Oh, dude man planted bombs all over the city? Welp, good thing I have a speedster on speed-dial...'

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I totally geeked out a the reveal of the
    Suit ring

• Options
    Wow so did everybody check out? I'm loving this season so far! It's been so good IMO. And the actor that plays wells is knocking it out again. He is playing sherloque wells, a spin in sherlock holmes. A french detective. So good.

There's a lot of story lines going on but the main one has been interesting as are the side ones. In loving cisco Ralph and cait. Ralph has been humorous as always and cisco is up to form if you ask me. I'm curious where they're going with the killer frost angle and the first half villain seems interesting.

Did I mention they name dropped justice league?

And since nobody is watching or checking this thread, Barry finally has his ring suit which was a total geek out moment. And they're brining g back things from season one that are still plot points.

I enjoyed last seasons flash although I did marathon the last half on Netflix. This season has been exactly what flash fans want if you ask ne.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I dropped after the second episode because as much as I like Nora, I give no fucks about the main villain.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    I dropped after the second episode because as much as I like Nora, I give no fucks about the main villain.

It's only the first half so it's not going to be the main villain. I've found it interesting because it's not a speedster and they've made him out to be a big threat. They name dropped the justice League as having never caught him.

I know nothing of him so maybe he's a lam character and lame in the comics, but a serial killer story line is perfect with the fall here. He reminds me a little of alchemy but I enjoyed alchemy before the obvious reveal.

And did I mention Sherloque Wells? The show is worth it for him alone.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Huh - apparently Rag Doll, played by Troy James, was not CGI for the most part

madparrot on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Huh - apparently Rag Doll, played by Troy James, was not CGI for the most part

That's impressive and disturbing to watch.
    I mean, we saw the CGI they use when Elongated Man was doing his Spider-man impression. It's fairly good quality for a TV show, but it's still obviously CGI, and that's for a regular character.
    I was trying to figure out where they got a budget for Rag Doll cgi of such a superior quality considering he's likely a one or two time character who may make a cameo in some future episode when it's necessary for someone to walk through a meta prison.

I guess it was cheaper to just find a dude without bones.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I'm not surprised really, it did seem to me like mostly stuff that a contortionist could do. The crab walking and fitting into a box and all that. With edits to make it more jerky maybe and the obvious CGI for head spinning and flattening and stuff.

I liked him, he's creepy. Catching a bad guy that hides in air ducts isn't really The Flash's specialty, is it? Nice to see more creative ways around Barry's overwhelming power that's not him standing around looking confused and getting sneak attacked.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    OK, the
    Victor Fries
    name drop was unexpected but cool.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    So re this past episode, I like Cecile a bunch but
    cop """hilariously""" tries to intimidate an employee into giving up information without a warrant is not something I'm interested in seeing these days. And oh look! He of course only resisted because he's a dirty criminal!

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    As soon as Cisco said "outer space", I knew everything was doomed right there.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, it's Mohinder.

Hi, Mohinder!

sig.gif
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Oh god. The multiverse includes Heroes now.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Oh god. The multiverse includes Heroes now.

Thanks, I'll pass.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    You'll kill everyone mohinder!
    Only at first but not at second!

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    In this episode, Flash is surprised to learn that light travels at the speed of light.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Only until Captain Cold uses his freeze ray on the lasers!

(that was the moment I stopped expecting even the softest of science in Arrowverse shows)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    In this episode, Flash is surprised to learn that light travels at the speed of light.

Also, why run around danger when you can run directly into it face-first?

• Options
    I really hope that at some point, we get to see how the original Wells from Earth 1 would have turned out if not for the murder.

• Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    Quoted from the Arrow-verse/Legends thread
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    How many times can they go the Thawne route in Flash. It seems a lot.
    I thought the sendoff in Legends was a good one for Thawne but nope. Flash has to bring him back again and again and again.
    Thawne isn't even a Wells. They treat him as one on this show, but he isn't and never was. He was a Thawne wearing a Wells suit. (Wearing a Reverse-Flash suit.) When Ralph impersonates someone, he doesn't become that person.
    Dumb comic book show. *grumble grumble*

• Options
    Quoted from the Arrow-verse/Legends thread
    How many times can they go the Thawne route in Flash. It seems a lot.
    I thought the sendoff in Legends was a good one for Thawne but nope. Flash has to bring him back again and again and again.
    Thawne isn't even a Wells. They treat him as one on this show, but he isn't and never was. He was a Thawne wearing a Wells suit. (Wearing a Reverse-Flash suit.) When Ralph impersonates someone, he doesn't become that person.
    Dumb comic book show. *grumble grumble*

He's still a Wells in the sense that you can have different actors playing Clark Kent and different actors playing Barry Allen.

Same archetype with a different origin.

• Options
    So apparently the guy who played Elongated Man had a bunch of really crude sexist/racist jokes from 2014 and now he's off the show.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    It boggles my mind that people who are that high profile don't just nuke everything in their socials from before they became high profile.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    It boggles my mind that people who are that high profile don't just nuke everything in their socials from before they became high profile.

How often do you go through your social media history though?
    I mean, I'm sure I've made some off color posts on this forum that I've completely forgotten about. I've been around pretty much forever according to the badges, and these forums where a very different place back when I joined. What was socially acceptable and what was not have changed remarkably. You can click on the last page of whatever forum you like to read to get an idea on how things have changed.

It does seem like a potential business opportunity though. Getting hired by a person to go through their social media history looking for potential time bombs. Maybe a subscription service where the search is repeated every 6 months to keep track of the latest movement in social mores and trends. They get a dossier on their past postings, labeled as varying levels of problematic/potentially problematic/personally embarrassing.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I mean, I'm sure I've made some off color posts on this forum that I've completely forgotten about. I've been around pretty much forever according to the badges, and these forums where a very different place back when I joined. What was socially acceptable and what was not have changed remarkably. You can click on the last page of whatever forum you like to read to get an idea on how things have changed.

It does seem like a potential business opportunity though. Getting hired by a person to go through their social media history looking for potential time bombs. Maybe a subscription service where the search is repeated every 6 months to keep track of the latest movement in social mores and trends. They get a dossier on their past postings, labeled as varying levels of problematic/potentially problematic/personally embarrassing.

This feels very much like the same thing that happened to James Gunn except this time no one is backing the actor up for rehire on the show.

Is the show even still going? I haven't been able to finish all the new seasons cause I can't watch crisis without Batwoman and I don't know if that is being added to netflix or not.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

That job already exists, it's called a background check. You just normally wouldn't waste the resources. Like the stuff the guy said, yeah it's both scummy and the pathetic attempts at being funny that an unfunny person would do, like Michael Richards, but it's also 6 years ago. Who the fuck cared enough to scour his Twitter for that except someone who was already looking for a reason to get him fired? Of course that may be where your business model works.

And yes the Flash is still going, but it spent it's best villain in season 1 and has been comically inept since. I gave up after the season with the body switching genius in it.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

This feels very much like the same thing that happened to James Gunn except this time no one is backing the actor up for rehire on the show.

Is the show even still going? I haven't been able to finish all the new seasons cause I can't watch crisis without Batwoman and I don't know if that is being added to netflix or not.

I think that episode might be available through the CW app, but it’s also possible I caved and threw down a few bucks.

On Ralph, it’s a shame to lose a character and actor I feel brought life to the show, but maybe teaching comedians the difference between funny and edginess for the sake of edginess is a positive direction.

Honestly, I defer to the cast and crew. If this makes them uncomfortable to work with the guy, I think that’s reason enough to let him go.

Re: Social media usage - I’ve said things I regret, and thank god the internet didn’t develop a real memory until the 2000s, but nothing like the stuff he was throwing around as a grown-ass man. It’s clearly (IMO) meant to be comedic, but he wasn’t a child, and he’s a high-profile actor on a reasonably high-profile show. There already are services that will clean up your internet presence, and he’s had plenty of opportunity to either hide his past material or confront it before it blew up on him. He didn’t.

That said, the lack of anything like a path to reconciliation for things like this will be a problem in the long run. The guy isn’t entitled to a career in Hollywood, but I also don’t think you should necessarily be cut out of the industry forever if you honestly redeem yourself.

Generally as determined by people other than white men, given their track record on the matter.

Side note: This was a pretty good season! I know the finale wasn’t intended to be one, but it actually worked really well and left me wanting more of this show, which hasn’t always been the case.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

I know I don't go through it but I'm not an actor/comedian/public servant who should have an agent/manager/whatever tell them to burn it all to the ground and have the resources to do so.

A quick google search and I see a couple of places where you can just delete old posts based on subject, date, or even retweet/reply. Costs some cash but it's cheaper than to have your career scorched.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA