As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what's the feature we share most prominently with fungi that is a sign we are relatively closely related?
    FLAGELLA ON THE BUTTS OF SPERM AND FLAGELLA ON THE BUTTS OF SOME SPORES

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sounds like we both know how to party.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Well that explains your AV then.

pRVG26BY1EB4Y.gif
    Wiggle wiggle

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I don't understand. That's Sebastian, an NPC from the popular and well-known CRPG Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

Edit: curse your editing skills for ruining my rad joke.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I don't understand. That's Sebastian, an NPC from the popular and well-known CRPG Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

Edit: curse your editing skills for ruining my rad joke.

I laughed.

Edit: okay, I laughed after your edit complained about my edit.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Interesting cloud formation today...

zhWK7wq.jpg

Two contrails crossing, but the way the wispy clouds lined up, it looks like the contrails are dissolving down.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I think that's just Silent Hill forming

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    God: "X marks the spot." (picks up a comet)

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    www.bbc.com/future/story/20181113-a-samurai-swordsmith-is-designing-a-space-probe

The ‘tamahagane’ steel used in traditional weapons may be the perfect material to cut through asteroids.

Anime is good

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    only interested if it's wielded by a space samurai

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    homestuck???
    7qz1g38xoshk.png
    vvof0k8zh1j7.png

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Not even close to the coolest space samurai

ahhsvae6h7j6.jpg

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So by those identical descriptions, I am one of the bottom two.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So by those identical descriptions, I am one of the bottom two.

Librarian, Terorist pedophile, same thing right?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh cool, someone rediscovered phrenology, that's the dumbest thing ever.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Suffers from a high level of anxiety, lacks emotion.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I mean at least be consistent if you're going to be a shithead?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    what I want to know is what presumably fully grown adult decided that "terrorist" was a personality descriptor

that is not how it fucking works, you ignorant dipshits

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I feel like an attempt at that was already on the big "Machine learning fuckups" list, where a group in China tried to predict who'd be a criminal based on pictures - but of course their dataset just compared company ID pictures vs. mugshots, so they came up with a very advanced algorithm for determining if a person was clean-shaven and wearing a suit.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    edited November 2018
    I went to look at these dipshits to try and figure out if they're all actually thirteen years old. But no. It looks depressingly familiar:

They have one science person - a molecular biologist - everyone else is some kind of "multiple start-ups business guy!". Their "thechnologist" (what) is listed on LinkedIn as an "entrepreneur". Skills: "Entrepreneurship." No qualifications listed. And their CTO is running five companies concurrently.
    basically a bog-standard collection of "innovators" who will raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for tech that at best simply doesn't work, at worst is actively destructive to society, then get out once the share prices start to drop and list it on their resumes as a phenomenal success.
    the main thing that bugs me is the company has been around for like five years, it's seriously worrying that they haven't gone bankrupt yet. Then again, they don't appear to have any actual technicians to pay.

tynic on
    Hundreds of thousands would be optimistic, honestly. Theranos raised tens of millions with equally impossible claims.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    www.bbc.com/future/story/20181113-a-samurai-swordsmith-is-designing-a-space-probe

The ‘tamahagane’ steel used in traditional weapons may be the perfect material to cut through asteroids.

Anime is good

This sentence makes me irrationally angry.

edited November 2018
    3clipse wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands would be optimistic, honestly. Theranos raised tens of millions with equally impossible claims.

God don't remind me
    The earth is going to die because a not insignificant portion of our population are full on sociopaths and for some reason we give them all the money

tynic on
    tynic wrote: »
    I went to look at these dipshits to try and figure out if they're all actually thirteen years old. But no. It looks depressingly familiar:

They have one science person - a molecular biologist - everyone else is some kind of "multiple start-ups business guy!". Their "thechnologist" (what) is listed on LinkedIn as an "entrepreneur". Skills: "Entrepreneurship." No qualifications listed. And their CTO is running five companies concurrently.
    basically a bog-standard collection of "innovators" who will raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for tech that at best simply doesn't work, at worst is actively destructive to society, then get out once the share prices start to drop and list it on their resumes as a phenomenal success.
    the main thing that bugs me is the company has been around for like five years, it's seriously worrying that they haven't gone bankrupt yet. Then again, they don't appear to have any actual technicians to pay.

yeah I'm hopeful it's just vaporware and they're just scamming some clueless investors out of money

the worst thing would be if they actually created some kind of semi-functional guesswork prototype and some police department tried to use it

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    One day I want to create a tech startup and scam racist rich people out of a shitload of money and then walk.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    One day I want to create a tech startup and scam racist rich people out of a shitload of money and then walk.

Let me in on this when you start.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Have I got the deal for you! Tamahagane circuit boards! This ancient Japanese metal is what makes samurai swords cut through anything!

Tamahagane printed circuit boards do away with basic tin, copper, silver and gold! In its place we use tamahagane metal which makes your electrons move so fast they cut the wind!

Get on the cutting edge by putting our crappy bog metal in your servers today!

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    only interested if it's wielded by a space samurai

81QkJzhJbNL._SL1500_.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Anime is good

The actual details seem good!
    In a paper detailing early experiments, the team – including Genrokuro Matsunaga, a 70-year-old swordsmith and Takeo Watanabe at Kanagawa Institute of Technology – explain how they have made several rock corers with various metallic compositions. Four contain tamahagane, the traditional metal made from iron sand and charcoal that is used in Japanese swords. “To achieve the sharpness and plasticity demand of the corer tip, we borrowed the techniques of traditional Japanese sword-smithing in fabricating the corer samples,” the authors write. (You can view stunning images of this process in our gallery: The amazing craft of samurai swords.)

Matsunaga used iron sand from a beach in Japan, melted it down and tempered it to make the tamahagane. The process involved heating the metal to searing temperatures and then cooling it rapidly, over and over again.

The resulting corers are small, cylindrical devices with a bladed edge angled inwards. Instead of swiping a katana sword at the asteroid – which would be cool but impractical – the idea is to launch the tamahagane-tipped corer at the space rock at great speed. In theory, it will dig into the asteroid and allow for a sample to be scooped up. A tether back to the mothership spacecraft could then reel the device and asteroid fragments in.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Then you read the rest of the article to find that they haven’t actually tested their actual handmade-artisanal rock corners because they’re too expensive.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited November 2018
    Lanz wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Anime is good

The actual details seem good!
    In a paper detailing early experiments, the team – including Genrokuro Matsunaga, a 70-year-old swordsmith and Takeo Watanabe at Kanagawa Institute of Technology – explain how they have made several rock corers with various metallic compositions. Four contain tamahagane, the traditional metal made from iron sand and charcoal that is used in Japanese swords. “To achieve the sharpness and plasticity demand of the corer tip, we borrowed the techniques of traditional Japanese sword-smithing in fabricating the corer samples,” the authors write. (You can view stunning images of this process in our gallery: The amazing craft of samurai swords.)

Matsunaga used iron sand from a beach in Japan, melted it down and tempered it to make the tamahagane. The process involved heating the metal to searing temperatures and then cooling it rapidly, over and over again.

The resulting corers are small, cylindrical devices with a bladed edge angled inwards. Instead of swiping a katana sword at the asteroid – which would be cool but impractical – the idea is to launch the tamahagane-tipped corer at the space rock at great speed. In theory, it will dig into the asteroid and allow for a sample to be scooped up. A tether back to the mothership spacecraft could then reel the device and asteroid fragments in.

It annoys me because tamahagane is
    A) really inconsistent composition wise
    And
    B) traditionally closer to cast iron

This is, in fact, why they have to fold it so much, because it's needed to spread out the carbon content and remove the impurities. Not to make it amazing steel, but because the original steel is so crap that you have to spend a lot of extra time just to get it even close to modern high carbon steel.

Additionally, the process of heating and rapid cooling is "hardening". Tempering involves very controlled heating well below the melting point and then allowing it to cool down in the air over time. If you rapidly heat and cool, you'll form marstenite, which isn't necessarily bad, but it's brittle. You have to temper it so that it will not just shatter on impact.
    I need to harden steel in a forge, but I can temper it in my kitchen oven.

My problem is that this appears to be entirely a vanity project for Japan, and it's being treated like it's an advancement without actually answering why this is supposed to be better than the more controlled modern methods using better steel.

Dedwrekka on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Folded ten thousand times though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Instead of steel folded 10,000 times, give me a really good croissant

Tynnan wrote: »
    Instead of steel folded 10,000 times, give me a really good croissant

Glorious French Pastry

I'd settle for like a single burrito from Chipotle folded competently.

3clipse wrote: »
    I'd settle for like a single burrito from Chipotle folded competently.

No. You will take burrito that is somehow simultaneously folded too loose to stay together, and so tight the tin foil is all scrunched up in the center.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Chipotle has the absolute worst ever presentation for chips.

A loose paper bag, barely filled with barely salted chips, and a tiny plastic cup of salsa with no kick that you can't even really dip a chip into.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/GBai8uDwxCs

Silent and Simple Ion Engine Powers a Plane with No Moving Parts
    aerospace engineer Steven Barrett recently test-flew the first-ever airplane powered with ionic wind thrusters—electric engines that generate momentum by creating and firing off charged particles.

This discussion has been closed.