As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Even the car park Rhinos are on it, mid left is the statue by the entrance.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Page 100 might be the wrong place to ask this, but I'm looking for some ideas. As Dayspring will attest I currently live in the middle of nowhere. That means I don't get to play unless I take a 4 hour bus trip to Tokyo. I'd like something a little more local, but there are no stores and as far as I know no people. Does anyone have any ideas for trying to get a local scene up and running without a FLGS to act as a kick-off point?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    My local games shop has a couple Death Masque boxes... I'm working on a Deathwatch army as a side project while I finish my tyranids and I'm super tempted to grab a box.

I know I don't need a fourth army, but Harlequins seem like a lot of fun to paint and play.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    My local games shop has a couple Death Masque boxes... I'm working on a Deathwatch army as a side project while I finish my tyranids and I'm super tempted to grab a box.

I know I don't need a fourth army, but Harlequins seem like a lot of fun to paint and play.

I have several armies but harlequins work under the aeldari banner so....
    How much are they since I kind of wanted one but I feel it's just cheaper to play ebay for them or wait and see if one of the Xmas armies if of them

• Options
    Not sure... he's got two or three of most of the GW box sets on his shelves, including some very old ones.

I've messaged the store's FB page. I'll let you know when he gets back to me.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Death Masque is absolutely amazing if you want a Harlequin army quickly. The only things I think it's outright missing from their whole damn Codex are, what, the Shadowseer and Solitaire?

I kind of hope that GW will reprint it at some point, because I don't think the Harlequins are ever going to get a Start Collecting box.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Gw is going to drop the next chapter of Vigilus this weekend as is teasing a "huge" reveal.

My guess is deamon incursion.

edit: hmmm, looks like the deleted the post (which was all red text anyway) and have now put up a totally rewritten article. Looks like somebody uploaded an earlier draft by accident

honovere on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Vigilus has become reverse Cadia, so I'm sure there are many more Chaos cults hiding on the planet. I'm sure there will be a Tau expeditionary force sent to the planet as well. And maybe some Custodes to aid the war effort. Also there are some Knights there. Oh, it's also a Necron tomb world.

Alright, looks like pretty much everyone is invited to the party.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Page 100 might be the wrong place to ask this, but I'm looking for some ideas. As Dayspring will attest I currently live in the middle of nowhere. That means I don't get to play unless I take a 4 hour bus trip to Tokyo. I'd like something a little more local, but there are no stores and as far as I know no people. Does anyone have any ideas for trying to get a local scene up and running without a FLGS to act as a kick-off point?

If there are people who are interesting in the idea of 40k but are new to wargaming, etc. you can organize a slow grow league where every month or two weeks or whatever you get together and play, maybe a small tournament, with incrementally larger armies. I imagine in this situation you'd need to host and have tables and terrain, etc. but the buy-in for starting 40k from scratch isn't bad these days.

If no one's even really heard of 40k but are generally nerdy maybe run a campaign of one of the various RPG lines, a game of FFG's Rogue Trader is what finally got me into 40k (after being interested in the setting since Dawn of War 1 but sticker-shocked right out of the store in my poor youth, lol)

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Chances are there’s a number of 40kers around you, but nobody knows anyone else. Put up a sheet at your local hobby place with a Facebook group and see if anyone bites.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Oh god, it's Soulstorm all over again.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    @Brainleech asking price on that box is $300

Looks like he has a lot of the older boxed sets but they're marked up to online/eBay sale equivalent

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Brainleech asking price on that box is $300

Looks like he has a lot of the older boxed sets but they're marked up to online/eBay sale equivalent

that is laughably overpriced

• Options
    $300 Canadian for reference... that's like... six bucks American or something :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    $300 Canadian for reference... that's like... six bucks American or something :lol:
    ohhh

that's not as bad

• Options
    Is it possible to run Battlescribe as a standalone on a flash drive?

It'd be cool to putter around list building at work when I have downtime (can't have my phone on the job)

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    As long as you can run Java apps you can. Just download the global archive instead of the windows installer.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    After looking at it more I think I kind of like the helmet version on the head Torvald Orksbane comes with.

The Cryptek from Forgebane and Gravis Captain from Dark Imperium that I bought off of ebay arrived. Gonna wolf up the captain, saw a lot of cool ones done where the left hand fist had lightning claws glued on as the fingers. I'm assuming the original fingers were cut off. Looking forward to getting these together and maybe finally putting together and magnetizing my predator tanks and storm wolf gunships.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Is there an easy conversion somewhere to transfer the Path to Glory warband tables to 40k or maybe killteam?

I'd like to run a warband campaign with a buddy, but I don't want to do a manual point conversion (I also don't own any AOS codices to check model costs for champions etc)

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Do you live in bumfuck Kofu or something? :biggrin:

Have you ever heard of an app called Gamefor? You might start by giving that a shot, since it's purpose is for stores to promote events and help RPG, tabletop, and CCG gamers find other players in their vicinity. I have no idea how many people might be using it in Japan, but it couldn't hurt to check it out.

To get a local scene going, if you know people who are interested, starting with Killteam and some hangout, build and paint get togethers might be a good starting point.

• Options

Have you ever heard of an app called Gamefor? You might start by giving that a shot, since it's purpose is for stores to promote events and help RPG, tabletop, and CCG gamers find other players in their vicinity. I have no idea how many people might be using it in Japan, but it couldn't hurt to check it out.

To get a local scene going, if you know people who are interested, starting with Killteam and some hangout, build and paint get togethers might be a good starting point.

Basically yes :) Bumfuck nowhere Fukushima prefecture. A town called Aizuwakamatsu in the west of the prefecture.

I guess the biggest problem is that no, I don't know anyone interested. The people I do know like boardgames, but none have shown any interest in the wargaming side. We'll see if I can change that, one has expressed some interest in Shadespire, so when they come this weekend I'm going to try and get that to the table. That and I've ordered Blackstone Fortress which should be up their alley.

• Options

Basically yes :) Bumfuck nowhere Fukushima prefecture. A town called Aizuwakamatsu in the west of the prefecture.

I guess the biggest problem is that no, I don't know anyone interested. The people I do know like boardgames, but none have shown any interest in the wargaming side. We'll see if I can change that, one has expressed some interest in Shadespire, so when they come this weekend I'm going to try and get that to the table. That and I've ordered Blackstone Fortress which should be up their alley.

Is there something like a community centre of sorts where you can pin some information to a bulletin board?

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    日本語OKか? Or are you looking for English speakers? I don't think there are any military bases or other concentration of English speakers nearby. If you're looking to play with Japanese speakers (or even with limited English speaking) you might try looking for Japanese gaming scenes which unfortunately I don't know much about. But send a tweet to Andy Kitowski who lives in Yokohama and literally makes his living translating Japanese RPGs. I'm sure he knows how to find meet ups and FLGS etc. I'd be pretty interested myself as I'm thinking of taking a job in Misawa in the near future.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Storming across a world in the throes of being consumed by the swarm, amongst biomatter slurry so concentrated it's begun the process of crystallization, Old One Eye and his Hive Kraken outrunners surge toward the enemy to ensure this world (my kitchen counter) remains their prize!

After some frantic painting this week I've gotten my 1500pt Hive Fleet Kraken list painted to tabletop for an event on Saturday. Everything but the Maleceptor needs carapace/claw highlights still, which I'm bummed I didn't have time to do, but otherwise looks alright. The carapace is still super shiny from the wash, but hopefully highlights will tone that down. Based everything today before work... Vallejo black lava and ground amethyst... going for what's described above... black goo with crystals growing from it.

I'm pretty happy though, as prior to three weeks ago the only thing painted were the genestealers. The maleceptor only came out of the box on the 7th or so. After this event I'll finish highlights and then maybe start work on my deathwatch.

ep8csy5zases.jpg
    cjxuep8q6258.jpg
    633qpwdrpsle.jpg
    9u73w36wgqyq.jpg
    j6powtkzja43.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Japanese is fine, the problem is there's no stores that sell anything even tangentially related. Even boardgames are limited to monopoly and the game of life. I might check out the community centre at some point, and I've got a co-worker who's a student at the local comp sci focussed university so I'll see if there's anything similar over there.

In the meantime, here's a spinny knight.
    https://imgur.com/ASlvqc5

And now some Screamers.
    https://imgur.com/yH3RvWM

Chrysis on
  • Options
    The Pun strikes again, GW ist streaming today with the Hashtag #blackstonefriday for the release of the game. (Of course GW is not reducing prices on anything for blackfriday)

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    The Pun strikes again, GW ist streaming today with the Hashtag #blackstonefriday for the release of the game. (Of course GW is not reducing prices on anything for blackfriday)

But your local gamestores are! There are a few places with really high, unadvertised discounts even on GW stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

But your local gamestores are! There are a few places with really high, unadvertised discounts even on GW stuff.

where, or is this local only

• Options
    My Gamestore has 4+d6 percent of in addition to its normal 5 percent on gw stuff.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

where, or is this local only

Depends on the store.

Mine, if I was not in CO was 15% off all GW.

I know a few places had it set up so if you bought <$100 you got 15%, $100-399 you got 25%, and $400+ was 35% only. In the states that is. Again because of how GW writes the contracts you technically can't advertise over 15% off.

Edit: This is FLGS not GW stores.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    A new place opened up near me with 15% off all GW stuff including special orders. I feel like it might come back to bite them though, doing that in your vulnerable starting period.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    The werid thing is most of the hobby shops on this side if town closed over the space of 18 months. But earlier this year a GW store opened i did not know this until i did the eldar made to order and was charged sales tax. Months later i saw someone in a warhammer world shirt asking me a question At work to which i just stared at his shirt and think i answered it
    I have yet to go because it's closed when i have my days off

• Options
    My LGS is doing a "Tanksgiving" event tomorrow. It's a three lap race where each "tank" (you can use any vehicle as your tank as long as it is fully painted and ground based) starts off with 6 hull points and moves 6" plus 1" per remaining hp. Each turn vehicles can fire in a 180 degree forward arc rolling 2d6 shots that hit on 4+ and remove a hull point on a 5+. After dropping to 0hp vehicles drop down to a flat 6" movement per turn. Players roll off for movement/shooting order at the beginning of every turn. Ork vehicles painted red get +1" of movement.

Vehicles will block other vehicles for movement, so the best bet seems to be to take an Ork on a red warbike so I can weave in between the other vehicles, but I am incredibly tempted to take my Fellblade instead and Tokyo Drift it around the corners to try and block everyone behind me.

• Options
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/vi937ev3Cro

So getting it now

• Options
    So GSC gets dirtbikes, Papa Smurf is a Primaris marine now, there's a new Titan coming out that is roughly as large as a My Size Barbie, and there's a combination 40K/AOS box filled with nothing but demons...

Alright alright alright.

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    Guess the writing really is on the wall for real Marines. Suppose my time in the hobby is getting closer to the end then. Really not a fan of the Primaris look or fluff. (don't like the mk4 helmet being 'standard' - mk7 is the most iconic look for a marine for me. Also really hate the weird Stormcast knees. And making the proportions 'human, but bigger' doesn't look right to me. Marines shouldn't have 'realistic' proportions)

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The new Slaaneshi Herald for Wrath and Rapture is delightful, I've never been huge on the Slaanesh aesthetic of 'just add bondage gear' but if any potential new models skew more in this direction I'm far more interested.

bqca8wo7yzce.png

• Options
    Turning a dude into a harp is some mads mikkelsen Hannibal shit.