As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    This is I did not know! Thank you! :D

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Missile Turrets take up a ton of your build limit...

I have 4 of them, I’m eagerly waiting for something to attack me, players or otherwise.

There was a level 12 thrashing my junk collector yesterday at a workshop, I followed him and he seemed to get a little surprised to see a Prototype Power Armor with a Gauss Rifle destroying him.

Leave my shit alone!

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    You can also put level 3 locks on them so players will at least have a hard time stealing.

Btw happy Thanksgiving from level 78!

KARV2zG.jpg

I come with a tip for those seeking to level up quickly and are reasonably high level, seek out Glassed Caverns in the bottom right corner of the map. Not only is there a ton of Ultracite ore for you to mine, but every time you pick up an ore piece a horde of scorched will spawn, if you have a team with you you can do this for every team member (in certain areas, in others after anyone on the team picks up the ore once it will no longer spawn a wave. You can do this over and over as you move through the cave. Not only will you level multiple times quickly, but you will also get plenty of loot and ore from it, especially ammo. Just watch out because a Scorchbeast waits at the end and there's a possibility that more than 1 will spawn, we fought 4 or so when we tried this last night.

I also have a great story about watching (and participating in) what basically amounted to a war between a Mirelurk Queen and plus minions and two Skorchbeast plus their minions. It basically turned into a kaiju battle. I took plenty of pics and they actually came out instead of getting a black screen like I have been, but I'm tired as hell so I'll put all that together tomorrow.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Do crafted turrets need ammo as well?

edited November 2018
    You can also put level 3 locks on them so players will at least have a hard time stealing.

I did lock it, I think thats why he wrecked it since he couldnt loot it anymore.
    Echo wrote: »
    Do crafted turrets need ammo as well?

No, its just build and forget, unless someone damages it, you dont have to do anything.

Sirialis on
  • Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    I did not know you could build extractors outside of workshops. That is super cool. Too bad I won't be able to until Saturday or Sunday. No Fallout over thanksgiving.

Time is a flat circle
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Half walls in bases are too tall.

I need a lower wall option. Also I need a way to build a roof on stilts above the half walls.

Also, got disconnected from the server while I was in the hospital/fort thing full of supermutants north of the Morgantown trainyard & airport area. I’m a smidge low to really be there but was doing ok creeping around and headshotting stuff. Most of the time I disconnected or logged out in the area, I logged back in by the train station. Hope I do again....

edited November 2018
    I hope we get a higher build limit at some point, would also be nice with items getting a visible point value towards the limit.

There are some items that should stick on top of each other who refuses to do so, especially that stair platform.

I also find it weird that your blueprint limit is a fair bit lower than your build limit.

Sirialis on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

I need a lower wall option. Also I need a way to build a roof on stilts above the half walls.

Also, got disconnected from the server while I was in the hospital/fort thing full of supermutants north of the Morgantown trainyard & airport area. I’m a smidge low to really be there but was doing ok creeping around and headshotting stuff. Most of the time I disconnected or logged out in the area, I logged back in by the train station. Hope I do again....

You log in outside of the nearest landmark, even if you disconnected while inside one of the "instances" like the Fusion Plant or the Nuka Cola factory.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    After a dozen rounds of turning on power plants, I finally got the Fusion generator plans. Now for all the sweet sweet high level laser turrets to protect my carrots!

Fairchild wrote: »

You log in outside of the nearest landmark, even if you disconnected while inside one of the "instances" like the Fusion Plant or the Nuka Cola factory.

Hmmm.. I wasn’t in an instanced building, but I was inside the area of the landmark.

I had gotten disconnected inside the grounds of the airport before and it deposited me by the train station, so I’m hoping it maybe shifts you to a neutral/safe area. Just outside the front door somewhere could still be... uncomfortable... for me.

Where does one find the plans for the small water purifier? Seeing a lot of conflicting info on that.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I’ve seen some people suggest you just get a bunch of plans when you take over a workshop for the first time and this is one of them?

The one you put on the ground? I have it but thought you started out with it.

Server Maintenance, which I think means "Quick fix as many bugs as possible before Thanksgiving morning !"

Sirialis wrote: »

I’m preeeetty sure I can’t build one.

I’m not the only person asking the question, per the google machine, so it seems like you don’t just start with it.

I’m not the only person asking the question, per the google machine, so it seems like you don’t just start with it.

Either from workshops, or some of the Overseer's caches. How closely have you been following the main quest line?

edited November 2018
    Server Maintenance, which I think means "Quick fix as many bugs as possible before Thanksgiving morning !"

Was just about to play after a long day at work...

Would be nice if they at least said what it was about and a loose timeframe.

Sirialis on
  • GrunjinGrunjin TexasRegistered User regular
    Gonna throw my name in the ring to join social for pc players, have been playing mostly solo but now more and more randoms are starting to do the "destroy everything in sight just because we can" even time i setup any kind of wanna be base. Or the one I love the most, is when they dropped a nuke right outside vault 76 :|

Bethesda.net name is grunjin
    :biggrin:

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Where does one find the plans for the small water purifier? Seeing a lot of conflicting info on that.

I found one last night while doing one of the quests for the mayor of Grafton. Edit, actually I might have found it in Grafton itself.

... Yeah, super helpful, huh? >.>

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The best thing about always online games is not being able to play because I don't work during the day...

• GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Not sure how this new patch is treating you all but on my PS4, Had to stop playing last night because the game would hard crash everytime when entering a building I had a quest into. Something about investigating an HQ at the south part of the map. Anyway, I'll see if I get better luck tonight.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
    edited November 2018
    Perhaps the maintenance is fixing all of the bugs introduced by the patch ?
    Or the one I love the most, is when they dropped a nuke right outside vault 76 :|

I'm quite surprised that the immediate area round Vault 76 is not off-limits to nukes.

Fairchild on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Or the one I love the most, is when they dropped a nuke right outside vault 76 :|

I'm quite surprised that the immediate area round Vault 76 is not off-limits to nukes.

it is off limits to nukes

Honestly? I’m not, at all.

edited November 2018
    I got a Fatman yesterday, even found a MIRV mod for it at a vendor.

Ended up just scrapping the thing, it fucking weighs 20lbs and each single mininuke weighs 6lbs.

Just remove the weight on ammo, seriously.

I’m just dumping mininukes and missiles on the road wherever since I cant carry them and I cant sell them.

Sirialis on
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Releasing a new patch just before a major holiday? Bold move.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Mvrck wrote: »

Either from workshops, or some of the Overseer's caches. How closely have you been following the main quest line?

Heh..

This is me playing this game.

https://youtu.be/BmvLexamrmk

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Okay so, story time, The Great Battle of the Mirelurks and Skorched. My team had just exited the elevator after doing a Glassed Cavern run, little did we know that the crazyness was just getting started. A Mirelurk Queen + her minions were locked in a massive battle with two Skorchbeasts + their minions.

uJUrra5.jpg

yv9Jnuc.jpg

Skorched foot soldiers fired from the treeline at the Queen and battled lesser Mirelurks while one SB engaged the queen in melee as the other attacked from the air. It looked like the battle had been going on for a while, dead on both sides littered the area. It was chaos, beautiful beautiful chaos. Every few minutes the second SB would dive bomb the queen (which looked awesome) but it was quite obvious that the queen had the upper hand. She was kicking their asses... until we stepped in that is.

Z5dFa6S.jpg

7tuKqWY.jpg

With the Queen dead and her army shattered, the Skorched claimed victory... and then they turned on us, the allies who made their victory possible:

JCNu17I.jpg

Skorchbeasts are dicks, yall.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Their Twitter said it is a update to the servers so I wouldn't expect any client side patch really.

The link seems to link to their forums which are also currently down so...

Ghlinn on
    steam_sig.png
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Okay so, story time, The Great Battle of the Mirelurks and Skorched. My team had just exited the elevator after doing a Glassed Cavern run, little did we know that the crazyness was just getting started. A Mirelurk Queen + her minions were locked in a massive battle with two Skorchbeasts + their minions.
    uJUrra5.jpg

yv9Jnuc.jpg

Skorched foot soldiers fired from the treeline at the Queen and battled lesser Mirelurks while one SB engaged the queen in melee as the other attacked from the air. It looked like the battle had been going on for a while, dead on both sides littered the area. It was chaos, beautiful beautiful chaos. Every few minutes the second SB would dive bomb the queen (which looked awesome) but it was quite obvious that the queen had the upper hand. She was kicking their asses... until we stepped in that is.

Z5dFa6S.jpg

7tuKqWY.jpg

With the Queen dead and her army shattered, the Skorched claimed victory... and then they turned on us, the allies who made their victory possible:

JCNu17I.jpg

Are you still using a hunting rifle at your level? Is there no better sniper rifle?

edited November 2018
    Fuck twitter.

Write the relevant informant in your game, not twitter, not on your forums. (which you also brought down)

Sirialis on
    edited November 2018
    I got a Fatman yesterday, even found a MIRV mod for it at a vendor.

Ended up just scrapping the thing, it fucking weighs 20lbs and each single mininuke weighs 6lbs.

Just remove the weight on ammo, seriously.

I’m just dumping mininukes and missiles on the road wherever since I cant carry them and I cant sell them.

The bandolier perk reduces the ammo weight burden significantly. Currently .38 .44 and .45 ammo weigh literally 0 for me with a max rank card, as in I can carry as much as I want, and all the other heavier ammos are something like .0001

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited November 2018
    All the “Reduce weight” perks should seriously just be removed and everyone should get the effects for free.

Weight management the game only detracts from having fun.

Cant see why I should spend a bunch of perks to unfuck this crap.

Sirialis on
    edited November 2018
    uJUrra5.jpg

yv9Jnuc.jpg

Z5dFa6S.jpg

7tuKqWY.jpg

JCNu17I.jpg

Are you still using a hunting rifle at your level? Is there no better sniper rifle?

There are some other snipers, like plasma snipers and laser snipers, but for ballistic it's the best I've come across for sniping purposes, especially the .50cal version (which I accidentally deleted thanks to lag). As far as a dedicated rifle for sniping I don't think there are any, just normal weapons that you can mod into a sniper configuration (ie putting a long range scope and a long barrel on a combat rifle). I know, I wish we could get an M82 or some other dedicated sniper too.

Edit: with that being said the only reason why I was using it there is because I had already used up all my ammo for my other weapons. .308 is very abundant (and .50 cal can be crafted 148 rounds at a time), which is why the hunting rifle in either form is my go to backup weapon.

Edit: here's another tip that came to me while thinking about this: even if you're not a melee build you should keep a light, decent melee weapon on you anyway to take out when fighting enemies that aren't too difficult. It will save you a ton on ammo and weapon durability. It's also good for when you run out of ammo entirely, which happens often when fighting higher level mobs with tons of armor like Mirelurk Queens or large groups.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    This game has issues, but it’s also been generating some incredible memories so today, and warning MAJOR spoilers
    Me and my sibling are moving my base to the east to get closer to the higher level areas.

On the way we have some adventures, we complete some misc quests discovering locations and finding a source of clipboards (and therefore springs). We come across new enemies, a giant hermit crab and something called a “robobrain”.

Eventually we come to the preplanned location, and I begin building my base. My sibling decides to check out a nearby cave.

Once inside they kill some deathclaws and call me in because they find a body in a crevice with a holotape that starts a quest. Inside the cave is the door to a lift. We search around and find the bodies equipment to hack the lift and we go down.

The lift comes out into a bunker, after resetting the systems to shut down a laser grid, we find out it’s the bunker for a US Governor, and investing the information about them we find a code to a hide safe. Inside is an ID card and an invitation to a bunker beneath the hotel complex.

We head over, and access the bunker. Inside a voice starts welcoming us, eventually we come to a vault door. The door opens and we find a pristine facility inside. The AI program in the computer introduces us the facility, and it’s owners. The Enclave. Then the servers went down.

But a simple plan to move camp spiralled our into an incredible organic story, stumbling onto a major plot element by accident. It felt incredible

All the “Reduce weight” perks should seriously just be removed and everyone should get the effects for free.

Because the weight restrictions are there as a function of managing server load. Look at WoW when it first launched, your max inventory space was limited to X number of Z slot bags. Over expansions, Z grew in size as the server infrastructure expanded and technology progressed making it possible. But initially, that Z was not an arbitrary number, it was something they tested and found to be what was cost effective both in terms of money and in performance.

• GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    This game has issues, but it’s also been generating some incredible memories so today, and warning MAJOR spoilers
    Me and my sibling are moving my base to the east to get closer to the higher level areas.

On the way we have some adventures, we complete some misc quests discovering locations and finding a source of clipboards (and therefore springs). We come across new enemies, a giant hermit crab and something called a “robobrain”.

Eventually we come to the preplanned location, and I begin building my base. My sibling decides to check out a nearby cave.

Once inside they kill some deathclaws and call me in because they find a body in a crevice with a holotape that starts a quest. Inside the cave is the door to a lift. We search around and find the bodies equipment to hack the lift and we go down.

The lift comes out into a bunker, after resetting the systems to shut down a laser grid, we find out it’s the bunker for a US Governor, and investing the information about them we find a code to a hide safe. Inside is an ID card and an invitation to a bunker beneath the hotel complex.

We head over, and access the bunker. Inside a voice starts welcoming us, eventually we come to a vault door. The door opens and we find a pristine facility inside. The AI program in the computer introduces us the facility, and it’s owners. The Enclave. Then the servers went down.

But a simple plan to move camp spiralled our into an incredible organic story, stumbling onto a major plot element by accident. It felt incredible
    The main story quest line leads you there eventually, I was wondering if it would have been possible to grab it early and skip things and it looks like it is. That's pretty cool.

steam_sig.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Because the weight restrictions are there as a function of managing server load. Look at WoW when it first launched, your max inventory space was limited to X number of Z slot bags. Over expansions, Z grew in size as the server infrastructure expanded and technology progressed making it possible. But initially, that Z was not an arbitrary number, it was something they tested and found to be what was cost effective both in terms of money and in performance.

Honestly, after playing for a bit, the weight cap is ok? I have over 200lbs spare between my personal space and stash and it hovers around that amount. If your stash is full then there’s a few things wrong.

Your not bulking up your supplies.

Your not then selling excess supplies. You don’t need that many to hand, especially common materials.

Your holding on to meds. Don’t bother, they are common enough that you don’t need to carry any.

Your storing weapons and armour. You should have one armour (or power armour) set, and restrict your weapons. You can’t possibly spec to be good at them all anyway.

Likewise this means you only need 2-3 ammo types (although perks make it almost weightless)

Don’t carry more than a tiny amount of food, it’s very easy to find. If you insist on carry any make soup, as it’s both food and water.

If your really struggling remember you can get 20lbs boost from food, another 2 points of strength from another food item for another 10lbs, and power armour/pockets is another 20lbs.