As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    After playing Animal Kingdoms...I...I...I would totally pay $9.99 for a Animal Portrait DLC content pack to add more animal portraits and cat poses.

/noshame

I would be shocked if this doesn't happen.

Smaland run is going okay... other than the fact that I might have to convert to *spit* Catholicism if things don't change. I'm trying to get moral authority up high enough to reform the Germanic faith but my vassals keep screwing it up by declaring stupid wars they can't possibly win. Sure buddy, I mean you own all of three provinces in Denmark but I'm sure you can take on East Francia by yourself, go gettem.

I think what I really need to do though is get myself a Kingdom level title so that I can stop everything from falling apart with every inheritance. My previous King controlled Smaland which is a Swedish Dutchy, a Danish Dutchy, and a big chunk of the east coast of England. Given that Smaland is part of Sweden/Svitjod normally that would be the title I'd aim for, except that currently Svitjod is an absolute powerhouse, easily one of the most powerful nations in the game right now. Which leaves me either Norge, who recently converted to Catholicism and seem to be very much regretting this decision as they're torn apart from every direction at once, or Denmark who are fairly inoffensive but I already control 1/3 of the required Dutchies and have a Subjugation casus beli ready to go.

My previous King, Vagn, was an incredible badass with dozens of kills in personal combat. He raided up and down both sides of the channel, launched a prepared invasion of England ("England" being the small strip of the East coast that wasn't presently occupied by other Vikings) and lived to be 81. His sons on the other hand, sucked. I was basically given a choice of "The one who's a good fighter but crap at everything else" or "The one who is okay at everything except fighting which he's terrible at". I chose option two, and hoped to toughen him up by taking him raiding and joining the Wolf Warriors. He lost his intitiation duel and then died in his first raid against a force we outnumbered 3:1, having been King for about 6 months. Next!

Next up is Asta, one of two bastard women (via a concubine with great stats) Vagn legitimised after having lost two sons and his wife stopped producing heirs. They've both got pretty great stats, but the double succession means that my former realm is now split into Smaland, owned by me (Asta) and Vestigotland owned by Toke, my "Good at fighting but not much else" Nephew. He's independent, and doesn't like me much. Normally I would just duel him for the titles which would reunite the realm one way or another, except neither of the two kids have good enough diplomacy or stewardship to hold on to their combined territories. So I guess the current plan is to seize either Norge or Denmark, THEN duel him for his titles, and in the mean time try to squeeze out some decent heirs this time around so that this doesn't happen again.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Fighting off a catholic crusade is hard work now. Why didn't the other religions get the same mechanic for great holy wars?

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Baghdad turns out to be a terrible capital. An insane number of the nomad raider spawns land in Baghdad.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Fighting off a catholic crusade is hard work now. Why didn't the other religions get the same mechanic for great holy wars?

The same reason you can't reform the Catholic Church, giving you all sorts of fancy tailored bonuses.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

The same reason you can't reform the Catholic Church, giving you all sorts of fancy tailored bonuses.

Except the catholic church also has many of those bonuses as well. What of Islam too, it's particularly odd they don't have a similar setup.

• Options
    Catholicism does seem to be a bit OP right now. In my current game they've had two crusades and succeeded in both, historically most of the crusades were embarrasing failures.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Catholicism was the best all around religion already and Holy Fury made it better.

Tengri Altaic/Magyar is the best for world conquest, with non-Sunni Muslim being a close second.

Edit: Oh Tengri loses invasion when switching to feudal, forgot about that.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Female pagans and tribal rulers can have consorts now. Neat!

However, I'm not entirely sure a woman's husband will be pleased with her pregnancy when nobody knows which of the four possible fathers is the actual father.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

However, I'm not entirely sure a woman's husband will be pleased with her pregnancy when nobody knows which of the four possible fathers is the actual father.

If you're rocking the "only women can rule" thing then the husband will understand his place.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

If you're rocking the "only women can rule" thing then the husband will understand his place.

Absolute Cognatic, actually. I was Bön.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Absolute Cognatic, actually. I was Bön.

I think that's specific to Bon. Which is an awesome pagan start. Very flexible rules.

• Options
    I feel like Warrior Lodges give out insulting nicknames a little too freely. Lose one arm wrestling match? You're The Feeble now, forever. Lose your cool in a single rap battle? You will henceforth be known as The Whiner.

Maybe it's supposed to motivate your characters to do better, but all it's motivating me to do is holding off on joining a Lodge until I've got already got a nickname.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I feel like Warrior Lodges give out insulting nicknames a little too freely. Lose one arm wrestling match? You're The Feeble now, forever. Lose your cool in a single rap battle? You will henceforth be known as The Whiner.

Maybe it's supposed to motivate your characters to do better, but all it's motivating me to do is holding off on joining a Lodge until I've got already got a nickname.

I've seen a lot of Moaners and Whiners.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

One lady got the Moaner nickname shortly after I married her so I initially thought the nickname referred to something else.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular

One lady got the Moaner nickname shortly after I married her so I initially thought the nickname referred to something else.

Rated T for Teen!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Teens know fuck

I am disappointed that female rulers with a polygamous religion can't merry multiple men

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Teens know fuck

I am disappointed that female rulers with a polygamous religion can't merry multiple men

I think they can if you also have enatic succession

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    The Tengri warrior lodge power is really overpowered. 1000 horde pop and 500 manpower for 150 renown, with no cooldown.

It says it should have a 10 year cooldown but it clearly isn't working lol.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    And another heir married matrilinealy to one of his cousins to pass on a great conqueror's bloodline gets himself killed hunting. He got assigned a fief to keep him in my court instead of his wife's after some unexpected inheritance on her father's part. So now one of his daughters is betrothed to my next son matrilenealy in the hopes of making a two bloodline son. To help keep this son alive, I've given him the shortsword my current ruler's father looted off a battlefield that I renamed Mr. Stabby. Having stolen some dude's Jian while raiding, it was something I could safely part with. Thankfully I should be able to keep this son unlanded as his betrothed (and her sister) came to my court when their mother decided she wanted to move to China.

Hopefully this will finally let my kinsmen finally have freaky familial sex and produce super babies.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Hopefully this will finally let my kinsmen finally have freaky familial sex and produce super babies.

That's the reason we all keep coming back.

• Options

That's the reason we all keep coming back.

Bloodlines being added with bonuses have really supercharged the eugenics experiments playstyle.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I kind of wish there was an event for Albanians to appear. An event where a baronry or tribal holding with an Albanian holder appears in Dyrrachion representing a minor Albanian settlement sometime in the 11th century would be really cool.

}
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I've just started playing this.

Can't figure out how to merge fleets. The button is always greyed out. The fleets are next to each other.

What am I missing?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Jephery wrote: »
    I kind of wish there was an event for Albanians to appear. An event where a baronry or tribal holding with an Albanian holder appears in Dyrrachion representing a minor Albanian settlement sometime in the 11th century would be really cool.

I know there's one for Hungary. Seems like the kind of thing they could add?

Auralynx on
  • Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Can't figure out how to merge fleets. The button is always greyed out. The fleets are next to each other.

What am I missing?

Well, they're not supposed to be next to each other, they're supposed to be on top of each other before you can merge them. It's possible you've got a fleet in the harbor and one out at sea, in which case you can't merge them.

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »

What am I missing?

Well, they're not supposed to be next to each other, they're supposed to be on top of each other before you can merge them. It's possible you've got a fleet in the harbor and one out at sea, in which case you can't merge them.

Also make sure they're all either looters or not looters.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I'm really confused about how gravelkind works. I thought it used to be that as long as you had one highest level title all your duchies and stuff would get divided up but your siblings would still be your vassals. But now I'm getting my realm split up completely all the time.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I'm really confused about how gravelkind works. I thought it used to be that as long as you had one highest level title all your duchies and stuff would get divided up but your siblings would still be your vassals. But now I'm getting my realm split up completely all the time.

If you are pagan, you are actually elective gavelkind. Which is like regular gavelkind, only your vassals gets to choose who in your family is your primary heir and any sons that get land outside your de jure territory can go independent if they want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »

If you are pagan, you are actually elective gavelkind. Which is like regular gavelkind, only your vassals gets to choose who in your family is your primary heir and any sons that get land outside your de jure territory can go independent if they want.

The upshot is that your heirs get claims on the titles of the brothers. There's now an option to duel them for said titles instead of fighting a war. The additional downside is that those brothers get claims on your titles and you better be good in a fight whether battlefield or duel (though I believe if you lose the duel you get an option to switch to playing the winner).

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Jephery wrote: »

I know there's one for Hungary. Seems like the kind of thing they could add?

Magyars exists in every start, pre-1066 they're nomads. If they ever settle in Pannonia the title gets renamed to Hungary.

}
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Does anyone know the reason why there are no Albanians in the earlier starts

It seemed to me like an oversight

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Does anyone know the reason why there are no Albanians in the earlier starts

It seemed to me like an oversight

There are no real historical references to albanians (Albanoi) until the mid 11th century. They definitely existed before that, but nobody knows if they're romanized Illyrians, Dacians, Thracians or even northern greeks. They were solidly a part of the East Roman Empire until the hold of East rome starts to crack in the 11th century and 100 years later they're a fairly independent region until conquered by the Ottomans.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Well the culture setup in the earlier starts already takes massive liberties or includes fantastical elements

Also I think even those who believe that the Albanian language migrated from somewhere else kinda place that event well before 769

• Options
    We don't have good language records of any of the pre-Roman Era Balkan populations, so while we know that they're definitely descended from a Balkan group that managed to not get fully Hellenized, Latinized, or Slavicised, we don't know much else. Thats what makes them cool, like the Basques.

}
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I bought this and the majority of the expansions recently, man it's confusing as fuck but i love it..i think. Having a tough time figuring out how to expand/make money but oh well it's fun going while everything blows up around me (also, worst tutorial ever, EVER)

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    I bought this and the majority of the expansions recently, man it's confusing as fuck but i love it..i think. Having a tough time figuring out how to expand/make money but oh well it's fun going while everything blows up around me (also, worst tutorial ever, EVER)

I would check out Arumba's YouTube Playlists and find one with a playstyle you want to try (catholic, norse, tribal, merchant republic, etc) and just watch him play it. That's how I learn most of the finer points of the game. He also has a tutorial series that was really good, but it's almost 2 years old now so I don't know how accurate it is (but it's probably still good for the basics).

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm playing with one of the fantasy mods actually updated to Holy Fury that adds elves, lizard/dragon people, and orcs/goblins. It has randomized fantasy nations that is a WIP, right now if you randomize cultures at all whether you use the one with the fantasy kingdoms or not it totally gets rid of humans altogether. Personally, I'm hoping for a randomization version which keeps things mostly historical but adds in elves and the like at appropriate places.

Actually something like that, a more controlled/customizable randomization option in general is something I would really like for Holy Fury overall.

As it is, customized a ruler onto being an elf, in a Nordic area with a historical start from the mod's custom Charlemagne era start point but with a shattered world, then did the event cheat which switches your county to your leader's culture. Started in a province I renamed Elfheim, and have expanded over most of western Norway, creating the petty kingdom of Vestlandet. I didn't realize for the longest time that you could build buildings in your main holding by clicking on the big holding thing on top instead of the three smaller ones down below. I'm annoyed that being tribal I can't make new holdings that aren't temples, so I'm aiming to conquer enough land to reform my Germanic faith and become Feudal. Unsure what kind of leadership and traits I'd want to go for. Warlike and Sons of Ragnarok definitely, probably animistic.

Edit: I would have thought there would be way more fantasy/fae/mythical mods and ones that add magic than there are.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm playing with one of the fantasy mods actually updated to Holy Fury that adds elves, lizard/dragon people, and orcs/goblins. It has randomized fantasy nations that is a WIP, right now if you randomize cultures at all whether you use the one with the fantasy kingdoms or not it totally gets rid of humans altogether. Personally, I'm hoping for a randomization version which keeps things mostly historical but adds in elves and the like at appropriate places.

Actually something like that, a more controlled/customizable randomization option in general is something I would really like for Holy Fury overall.

As it is, customized a ruler onto being an elf, in a Nordic area with a historical start from the mod's custom Charlemagne era start point but with a shattered world, then did the event cheat which switches your county to your leader's culture. Started in a province I renamed Elfheim, and have expanded over most of western Norway, creating the petty kingdom of Vestlandet. I didn't realize for the longest time that you could build buildings in your main holding by clicking on the big holding thing on top instead of the three smaller ones down below. I'm annoyed that being tribal I can't make new holdings that aren't temples, so I'm aiming to conquer enough land to reform my Germanic faith and become Feudal. Unsure what kind of leadership and traits I'd want to go for. Warlike and Sons of Ragnarok definitely, probably animistic.

Edit: I would have thought there would be way more fantasy/fae/mythical mods and ones that add magic than there are.

You often don't want extra holdings in a province as Tribal, because the amount of levies (and income I think? but levies is the big important one) you can get from it scales based on the number of empty holding slots in said province.

In fact, you usually don't want to become feudal ASAP; you won't be able to call your vassals in as allies anymore, and your own levies will be a heck of a lot smaller, leaving you surprisingly vulnerable to still-tribal neighbors (or angry vassal) that can overwhelm you in sheer numbers. You'll first want to make sure you've built up most of the prestige buildings in your own demesne as they become Feudal buildings upon reform, and that most of your vassals have Stone Hillfort in their capital demesne so they can become feudal (and start providing proper vassal levies) almost immediately.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My son and heir went over to the dark side. I had one and precisely one male heir with great stats set to inherit the Kingdom, when all of a sudden due to freaky succession shenanigans he inherits a county and a dutchy in Svitjot, my next-door-neighbours and sworn enemies. I hadn't landed him, so now he's my enemy's vassal and I don't think I have any real way to get him back. Not only that but when my Queen (currently 61) dies, he'll take a big chunk of my holdings to Svitjot with him.

Fffffffff...

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    My son and heir went over to the dark side. I had one and precisely one male heir with great stats set to inherit the Kingdom, when all of a sudden due to freaky succession shenanigans he inherits a county and a dutchy in Svitjot, my next-door-neighbours and sworn enemies. I hadn't landed him, so now he's my enemy's vassal and I don't think I have any real way to get him back. Not only that but when my Queen (currently 61) dies, he'll take a big chunk of my holdings to Svitjot with him.

Fffffffff...

Uhhh this actually sounds great (aside from inheriting your wife's lands, assuming they're held in vassalage to you currently) and I often murder a great number of people to make things like this happen.

When your son inherits your titles, assuming your title is of the the same tier as his current lord, he will become independent, taking his current holdings with him and weakening your rival kingdom! It's great!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1