As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Artifact] Call to Arms set released. Give mid or feed!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The most silly/fun game I had was when my opponent committed three of the "gain 2 health when you cast a spell" cards and two of the armor plus attack when you cast a spell cards on their Legion Commander.

Sure, you have a 50 health LC who can't die. And you'll kill that lane in five turns while I commit five improvements to the other two lands and preemptively kill anything you drop there

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Piercing damage benefitting from armor reduction is weird as hell and it makes the -2 armor to you and an enemy equip brutal in UB

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I guess one way of looking at it is you have an armor piercing round vs armor. It'll go right through the armor. But if you have some exposed vital organs, well that's basically still gonna hurt equally with both a regular or an armor piercing round.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Dracil wrote: »
    I guess one way of looking at it is you have an armor piercing round vs armor. It'll go right through the armor. But if you have some exposed vital organs, well that's basically still gonna hurt equally with both a regular or an armor piercing round.

It just lines up poorly with pure damage from DOTA

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So, for the people who have played the game so far, how feasible is it to play the game without putting any more money in than the base $20? Should I not bother if I'm not gonna sink another $50 into the game? I know there's pre-constructed and phantom draft. Are those fun enough to play to warrant a $20 purchase?

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Might as well drop this VOD here, where I run through the first two tutorial games and one versus humans.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    So, for the people who have played the game so far, how feasible is it to play the game without putting any more money in than the base $20? Should I not bother if I'm not gonna sink another $50 into the game? I know there's pre-constructed and phantom draft. Are those fun enough to play to warrant a $20 purchase?

Most of the closed beta streamers and players prefer draft at the moment because trying to make full Constructed decks without a marketplace is ludicrously expensive. Draft will always be exciting and fair if you don't want to spend anything.

If I was poor I think I'd definitely just play free draft forever, which is cheaper than most other digital card games which require at least a $1 buy-in or an equivalent in-game time-sink for draft.

Dracil on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

I'm in a similar boat. From what I've seen the buy in price is probably worth it enough to play draft with friends and muck about.

Then I'm curious what kinda prices decks stabilize at to see if it's a worthwhile trade off vs just a f2p model. Because this is definitely the digital card game that most interests me (being a fancy blend of Gwent and L5R).

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I went 0-2 in a draft last night with two Zeus and a Lich. Sounds fantastic, right?

Both of their signature spells are 7 mana and it's really tough to keep them alive. Even with 2 green heroes, the deck felt too reactive and not proactive enough. Two Thundergod's Wraths a turn don't do much against green and red heroes that have 15 health.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Comics/Pa-comics/n-xmQS5/i-mqfkQVK/0/2100x20000/i-mqfkQVK-2100x20000.jpg

Edit: Oh geeze that looks larger on my desktop than laptop. Turning into a link.

Dracil on
  • Options
    A blue hero with initiative and annihilate is a surprisingly effective lane wipe. Had a player do that twice to me in a game while stacking up improvements. I still won the game at the end when he misplayed and I wiped his side with Berserker's Call for exact lethal

• Options
    11/21 Update.

Features of note:
    You can now recycle cards into event tickets at a rate of 20 cards to 1 ticket. There is a "Recycle Cards" tab accessible from the collection. Note that each card will currently show "N/A" where the market price would be until the market is open. Sort by market price will sort by mana cost until the market is open.

You can now play bot matches and Call to Arms without claiming your starting package. This lets you try more of the game before you reach the point-of-no-return on refunds.

Added an AI difficulty selector.

Added some premade decks to the bot's deck selection options to make it easy to quickly practice against various opponent color combinations.

Added a new cursor and cursor size settings control.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    At 20:1 that makes every card worth a minimum of 5 cents. That's a much better rate than I thought it would be.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    At 20:1 that makes every card worth a minimum of 5 cents. That's a much better rate than I thought it would be.

it probably saves them money on transaction fees on low-cost junk, so it's one of those things that's a win-win for valve and the community.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, I have to pay tax on all Steam marketplace purchases. So I guess every card is gonna be a couple cents more expensive.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Man, the UB deck really does feel oppressive when you get improvements down. You're just guaranteed chip damage in every lane and enemy creeps die so often it's hard for their heroes to punch through.

I do feel like Tinker's personal improvement isn't that great, though; I'd rather run three more conflagrates for permanent damage output, or run some combination of extra cantrips and slays in order to boost Ogre/Zeus's passives and to kill BIG GREEN, respectively.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I think his signature card being mediocre is meant to be a balance for how strong his active is. March does atleast damage towers while Conflagrate doesn't, but I agree that I'd rather the former in play over the latter.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    The other thing I don't like about UB: it deploys UUB U B. I want UUB B U, especially since there are strong T2 black plays and Necrophos dies to half the cast T1.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I literally just won a game where I killed one unit mid lane, and seventeen times they were revived by cheating death instead.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »

it probably saves them money on transaction fees on low-cost junk, so it's one of those things that's a win-win for valve and the community.

Afaik their answer to that previously was that they have a bundle sale option. Where you can sell a whole bulk load of commons.

Also I don't think transaction fees apply when it's all trading within their own client?

• Options
    I just watched Day9 play against a tier 1 red/green aggro deck, holy shit that thing is a monster.

He got 80'd in a lane on like turn 4 or 5.

• Options
    Yeah, this game definitely feels like the digital TCG that most takes advantage of 'just let the computer do it for us' between the item side decks, lane deployment shuffles and bigger numbers.

• Options
    Welp, I watched too much footage and ended up preordering :\ I think I should have enough fun in the free modes to justify it. Hopefully.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I expect a lot of streaming communities will be running free tournaments for their viewers. There seems to be enough of a crowd here that we could do the same thing.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Is there any benefit to pre-ordering instead of just buying it next weekend when I have time to really dig my teeth into the game? I don't see any mention of pre-order goodies on the steam store page.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    You get to give valve your money sooner!

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Ok. I've give my money to valve soon in valve time.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm kinda glad I work from home tomorrow. Would like to play some rounds of this.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, there's no benefit to pre ordering and there's just the one thing to purchase right now, right? I'm extremely dubious about this game but I'd be willing to drop twenty quid to see something new.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Only benefit is pre loading, but think the download is only a couple gigs

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I've been having a lot of fun with it. I'm still learning, but I might write up a few quick drafting tips before release that have helped me out. Long story short, aggressive 3- and 4-drops are WAY BETTER than they look. Anything reactive or board sweeper-y is actually WORSE than it looks. Killing all your opponents stuff doesn't actually win you the game.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    They're opening the market for commons and uncommons today

Dracil on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    The market is up as of 5pm PST...and it's broken.

https://steamcommunity.com/market/search?appid=583950

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Made some bucks as prices were climbing. Prices are now below when I sold stuff at. Will do it again for rares tomorrow I guess. And then I'll fill out my collection.

• Options
    Nice of them to let the beta players make a ton of money on a captive market before opening it up to everyone else.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    A "ton of money"? It's a bunch of common and uncommons. Someone opened their collection earlier and it was like 11 bucks to buy every card they didn't already have, which was quite a few. No one is retiring off their one day of beta common and uncommon sales.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    A "ton of money"? It's a bunch of common and uncommons. Someone opened their collection earlier and it was like 11 bucks to buy every card they didn't already have, which was quite a few. No one is retiring off their one day of beta common and uncommon sales.

Blink dagger was going for $10 at one point. Still going for like $3. Considering a pack costs $2, selling an uncommon for more than the cost of a pack is something I would rate as "a ton of money", at least relatively.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Purge just opened his collection. He's missing 33 cards, the total to buy them all was $3.50. No one is balling out of control with commons and uncommons. People will make actually money tomorrow when rares go on sale for everyone.

They had to test the market somehow before tomorrow and I think they made a smart choice. Let people have a day selling commons and uncommons but don't create a rare bubble in a limited market.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I assume there’ll be a bunch of cards flooding the market soon from all the people who got free copies from PAX or other conventions, too. They might not end up playing, so they’ll end up just dumping the cards on the market for a song.

persona4celestia.jpg