As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Moss is currently on sale for under $20 (all platforms, so Steam and PSN Store)

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    HA! But seriously, I'm moving to the other side of the world in two weeks (almost literally - it you reverse my current latitude and longitude it pops you out only about 150 miles from my new city)!

I've got so much to do and so little time to do it that "working" at the office is a rest break.

26904.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Rius wrote: »
    Skyrim VR is 50% off at GreenManGaming, and you can get another 15% off via a unique per user Bethesda coupon. I guess it's finally time to buy that, then?

I see it is available for 50% off at the steam store too. Gonna check GMG though for the additional 15% off.

*edit* figured it out

RickRude on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Welp, there seems to be a laptop with a 1050ti on sale at the Microsoft store for 750 CAD. Between that and the Samsung Odyssey refresh deal, I think it's finally time for me to get my own VR rig. Should be less than 1500 altogether!

• Options
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Welp, there seems to be a laptop with a 1050ti on sale at the Microsoft store for 750 CAD. Between that and the Samsung Odyssey refresh deal, I think it's finally time for me to get my own VR rig. Should be less than 1500 altogether!

Is the 1050 strong enough @atheraal ? I remember it's why I went with the 1060 and up a price tier.

• Options
    They do list it as vr-ready.. To be honest I won't be exceptionally broken up if I can't run the highest-end games well, I'm more interested in developing my own games on it anyway. Especially since I think the oculus quest and similar setups are going to end up being the bigger user bases to develop for.

• Options
    They do list it as vr-ready.. To be honest I won't be exceptionally broken up if I can't run the highest-end games well, I'm more interested in developing my own games on it anyway. Especially since I think the oculus quest and similar setups are going to end up being the bigger user bases to develop for.

If they list it then I'm guessing it is. I just know I was worried about mine becuase I thought the minimum was a 1060. I'm very happy with my laptop, but I may have gone cheaper knowing it was an option. I hope it works out for you

• Options
    Couldn't resist Skyrim VR for $25.50 at GMG with the extra 15% off. been looking at it for awhile and had to pull the trigger. Think I may jump on natural locomotion as well to try it with it. Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll play it for thanksgiving.

I've never played Skyrim. Haven't played an elder scrolls game since daggerfall really.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I just thought about Skyrim with GORN's locomotion system and giggled. My arms also got tired just thinking about it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    RickRude wrote: »
    Couldn't resist Skyrim VR for $25.50 at GMG with the extra 15% off. been looking at it for awhile and had to pull the trigger. Think I may jump on natural locomotion as well to try it with it. Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll play it for thanksgiving.

I've never played Skyrim. Haven't played an elder scrolls game since daggerfall really.

Where's the extra 15% off come from?

e: nevermind - it was at the same site.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »

Where's the extra 15% off come from?
      @timfiji
      If you go to gmg site, there's a link for see all deals, or get more deals, something like that. It says see your extra discounts and it.might be save more.

Anyways you log in and there's a 15% off coupon for Bethesda games.

Speaking of Skyrim, I really like it. Played it longer than I've played any VR game. Played for an hour and a half straight. Really thinking of getting natural locomotion for it. The world is beautiful, and it's considered one of the best games ever made and I've never played it before. It's really cool expetiencei g it in vr.

• Options
      djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
      Does anyone have a reliable way to get natural locomotion to work? I picked it up because I realised it works with the VR Serious Sams, and so far I've managed to get it to actually work one time out of about six tries, and even then it stopped working every so often if I opened a menu. (when it does work I feel much less dizzy, which is good, though I suspect the running-backwards-and-shooting aspect of serious sam is not going to work too well)

So I picked up Skyrim while it's on sale, but I can't for the life of me get natural locomotion to work at all there. I wasn't sure to expect it during the very first 'how do you want to move' section of Skyrim, but I'm past there and trying to make my way up a tower during the main game starting, and it just doesn't move me around.

Is there some sort of order I need to launch things in? There's steam, steam vr, natural locomotion, oculus app, and skyrim -- most of the time natural locomotion says "couldn't find steamvr driver, trying again, oh there it goes we're okay after all", but I don't know if that means it's not working at all or what.

• Options
      SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
      I gave up with natural locomotion. I did manage to get it to work sometimes, but it was really inconsistent with Skyrim.

But the good news is that you can apply the techniques in natural locomotion without using the program and effectively reduce motion sickness. Alot of it is just moving your arms like your walking while you move your ingame character around. I found it helpful to walk in place and to lean in the direction of motion. If you have a square or near square playspace, I would turn off any controller turning and just physically turn (though this is probably not practical unless you have a wireless adapter or really good cable routing). I've been able to play a lot longer using these techniques. And after just a few weeks, I've found that I'm developing a stronger stomach, as I can play longer now even without any of the above methods.

Good luck!

• Options
      PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
      I'm used to walking with restricted arm-mobility.

• Options
      TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
      Does anyone have a reliable way to get natural locomotion to work? I picked it up because I realised it works with the VR Serious Sams, and so far I've managed to get it to actually work one time out of about six tries, and even then it stopped working every so often if I opened a menu. (when it does work I feel much less dizzy, which is good, though I suspect the running-backwards-and-shooting aspect of serious sam is not going to work too well)

So I picked up Skyrim while it's on sale, but I can't for the life of me get natural locomotion to work at all there. I wasn't sure to expect it during the very first 'how do you want to move' section of Skyrim, but I'm past there and trying to make my way up a tower during the main game starting, and it just doesn't move me around.

Is there some sort of order I need to launch things in? There's steam, steam vr, natural locomotion, oculus app, and skyrim -- most of the time natural locomotion says "couldn't find steamvr driver, trying again, oh there it goes we're okay after all", but I don't know if that means it's not working at all or what.

Here's the order that works for me.

1. Launch Oculus.
      2. Launch Steam, but not SteamVR.
      3. Launch Natural Locomotion.
      3. Choose your game profile, and launch it from Natural Locomotion.
      4. Put on your headset. Natural Locomotion will load SteamVR and the game and interface itself correctly.
      5. Play the game.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    • Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      I saw the PSVR was $200 on Black Friday at thought that was an incredible deal. Then I realized that you still need a PS4 to make it work, so $400 is the more realistic price. Yikes!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
      Still a very good deal if you don't otherwise have a vr-capable pc

• Options
      LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

Looking up comparisons between the 1050Ti and the GTX 970, which is what I'm running, you might have issues with some of the more graphically intensive games. I haven't run into anything I literally cannot run, although I haven't tried out games with higher system requirements, but I've had to ratchet the graphics way down on more than a few games.

• Options
      FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

Huh, that sucks to hear. I've never had any issues with it, but it sounds like it may be more finnicky if you're running it with Oculus instead of just games through Steam VR.

It works 100% of the time for me when I:

1) Launch SteamVR
      2) Launch Natural Locomotion (either in VR with the headset on, or on your desktop before you put it on --- doesn't seem to matter in my case)
      3) Pick your profile in Natural Locomotion
      4) Run the game through Natural Locomotion with the button within the profile.

I couldn't imagine playing Skyrim or Gorn without it now-a-days. I have it set up to activate when I rest my finger on the left touchpad in everything and it always works now that I have it setup.

Like Slortex said, you can get a pretty decent amount of the effects if you just swing your arms like you're using it (I've done it on the few times I've forgotten to launch it before starting a game). But it does do some stuff that seem to help with motion sickness on its own -- the way it makes you move the direction that you're swinging your arms seems to help out with motion sickness in my experience. When I try to mimic the effect without the software actually on it typically doesn't work as well as when NatLoco is driving the movement.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
      Beat Saber campaign ramps up pretty quickly with the directions on the blocks disappearing right after they appear being the main trouble for me. Minimums and maximums on how much you can move are pretty rough too, particularly the latter.

• Options
      PeasPeas Registered User regular
      Any thoughts on the acer vr set? It's like 180 on amazon now. Seems like a good entry level price.

• Options
      djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
      Well, I managed to get Natural Locomotion + Skyrim to work, sort of; the trick was that I had to tell skyrim to use left hand, but NL to use right hand. No idea why, but once I did that, then it worked.

For a few minutes. And then it stopped working for a bit, started working again, and stopped working permanently just when I was in the middle of the courtyard about to decide who to follow into the keep. And because I couldn't get moving again, I just stood there waving my arms around in walking-like gestures until the dragon killed me.

So I dunno -- there's definitely something there that can work, but whatever it is isn't reliable enough for me to want to try and play a whole game like that, and even when it _was_ working I still feel a fair bit wobblier than I'd like, so it's refund time, sadly. It's a pity, it looks great, but I still have non-VR skyrim waiting for me to get back to it if I want to play Skyrim, I guess.

• Options
      The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      Astro Bot $20 physical or digital on Amazon.

This is a really good deal, unfortunately both physical and digital are sold out. Bummer I missed out, well I'm linking it anyway in case it comes back in stock and anyone else is interested.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    • Options
      ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
      For any Canadian bros, the HP Windows MR set is on sale for $150. Based on my experience with the Lenovo (identical specs, different straps/mount) it'll be a solid experience, if not as polished as the Vive or Oculus. Bear in mind the base resolution is also a fair step up from the regular Vive and Oculus.

8R7BtLw.png
    • Options
      Qanamil wrote: »
      Beat Saber campaign ramps up pretty quickly with the directions on the blocks disappearing right after they appear being the main trouble for me. Minimums and maximums on how much you can move are pretty rough too, particularly the latter.

Right? I was stuck on level 8A for a while, even though I was already in the level 10 - 11 range. Even tough I got even block I was still short on score. Turns out you need to do full swings for maximum points -- I must have missed that note or inadvertently clicked past. So after 20 times failing, I got it on the first try knowing the full swing tip.

• Options
      NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
      edited November 2018
      Decided to throw some money at the Vive wireless adapter, if it turns out to suck I've made less wise purchases in my time. Supposedly gets here Monday, we'll see if my life ends up like JDarksun's.
      :edit: wait, when I purchased it it was telling me Monday, I just got the shipping notification and it says Sunday.

NEO|Phyte on
      It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
      Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    • Options
      SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
      edited November 2018
      NEO|Phyte wrote: »
      Decided to throw some money at the Vive wireless adapter, if it turns out to suck I've made less wise purchases in my time. Supposedly gets here Monday, we'll see if my life ends up like JDarksun's.
      :edit: wait, when I purchased it it was telling me Monday, I just got the shipping notification and it says Sunday.

I got the wireless adapter a day after getting the base vive about a month ago. 100% worth it. I wasn't super bothered by the wire in that first day (of course, everything was fresh and exciting), but now I can't possibly go back. Not having to think about a wire when turning is so freeing.

Note that the battery that comes with it will only give you about three hours of uptime. If you go over that in a play session or don't want to worry about keeping it at max charge all the time, you might want a backup. I went with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N0X3NL5?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Edit: Also ran into a dude while playing Pavlov VR who was standing in a corner making wierd hand motions... turned out he was untangling his wires. I told him that he needs to go wireless and then proceeded to spin around several times. Kind of surprised he didn't shoot me in the face.

Slortex on
    • Options
      Played another 40 minutes of skyrim and while I'm enjoying it and about to go play some more, two things are really bothering me.

I get stamina is a thing. But I'm using teleport travel and I conStanley have to just sit there and let it regenerate, or but hump the ground an inch at a time which defeats the point if teleport for naseua reasons.

The sword play sucks. There is no weight to it what so ever. I feel like there was more weight to wii fencing. I'm using the touch controls and have felt the wonder that is grabbing walls in echo vr, so I know it's possible.

I'm just waving my arms around. Luckily I'm planning on playing a mage so hopefully this dowant come into play too much.

Now to make sure I don't get lost in the beautiful world and endless people to talk to.

• Options
      PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
      Doesn't sound that different from 2011.

• Options
      DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
      edited November 2018
      Melee Skyrim is definitely not the way to play it in VR, for sure. Magic is a transcendent experience, sneaky archer is a lot of fun too, but melee is just pointless.

Dhalphir on
    • Options

The sword play sucks. There is no weight to it what so ever. I feel like there was more weight to wii fencing. I'm using the touch controls and have felt the wonder that is grabbing walls in echo vr, so I know it's possible.

I was thinking of trying 1, 2, or 3 pound wrist weights in beat saber. Maybe that would help?

• Options
      Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
      edited November 2018
      I doubt it, melee in Skyrim felt terrible on kbam 2d compared to every other game in that space because it's just terrible combat. Really detracted from the game for me. I think it gets away with it because there are so many people that played older Elder Scrolls games so they don't care, but it's just plain numb and floaty and bad. Imagine how good Skyrim would be with For Honor's combat system laid over it. Mmm.

So my Oculus Rift is ordered! I've got a list of games I'm just going to buy because they're on sale, but for those of you with Elite Dangerous - should I get the Horizons expansion as well? I like flight stuff and I've got a buddy sending me a Thrustmaster HOTAS-X so I expect I'll enjoy the game in general, but see mixed commentary in Steam reviews on whether you want the expansion as a new player.

Also anyone played these games - are they great? Thinking about just getting Steam's VR Essentials bundle which would get me the following:
      • Thumper
      • Budget Cuts
      • Space Pirate Trainer
      • Sairento VR
      • Gorn
      • Arizona Sunshine*
      • Job Simulator*
      • Superhot VR*
      *planned to buy these 3 anyway, so $60 more for the other 4 together.

If anyone's curious here's the list - if I'm missing any of the greats please let me know!
      Arizona Sunshine - $20 (40)
      Job Simulator $18 (20)
      Superhot VR $17.50 (25)
      Beat Saber $20
      Moss $20 (30)
      Rez Infinite $12.49 (24.99)
      Raw Data $24 (40)
      Fruit Ninja $10 (15)
      Elite Dangerous $12 -expansion or no?
      Waba $1.24 (early)
      Rec Room - free
      The Lab - free

not on sale so later?
      The Climb - rift store $40 (or $55 w Crytek bundle w Robinson the Journey)
      Lone Echo - rift store $40
      Talos Principle VR $13.59 (40)

included w Rift
      Robo Recall
      Lucky’s Tale
      Medium
      Toybox
      Quill
      Dead & Buried
      Dragon Front

have:
      Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes
      Dirt Rally
      FSX
      Project Cars

Oh also also: Do I want USB 3.0 extension cables for the Rift? I'd rather get em now than realize I need em when it's here - how many and what size are recommended?

Red Raevyn on
    • Options
      NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
      Rothgarr wrote: »

I was thinking of trying 1, 2, or 3 pound wrist weights in beat saber.
      Good God man, are you trying to murder your arms?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
      Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    • Options
      Apogee wrote: »
      For any Canadian bros, the HP Windows MR set is on sale for $150. Based on my experience with the Lenovo (identical specs, different straps/mount) it'll be a solid experience, if not as polished as the Vive or Oculus. Bear in mind the base resolution is also a fair step up from the regular Vive and Oculus.

Fffuck, I was gonna grab this today, it's already sold out though. Oh well, it'll be nice to have the extra resolution of the odyssey refresh for reading text I guess.. Not an extra $300 nice though :/

• Options
      SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
      edited November 2018
      Peas wrote: »
      Any thoughts on the acer vr set? It's like 180 on amazon now. Seems like a good entry level price.

That's the whole set, motion controllers and headset, correct? I think I saw this one.

It's very "competent"--treat it as a economic alternative to an HTC Vive while still keeping SteamVR access (there's also VR on the Windows Store, which can be attractive if you're used to buying stuff off Xbox Live), that's vastly more convenient on the user end (you need BT, an HDMI output, and a USB 3.0 output). It's also not as good when it comes to motion controller, but is a noticeable visual improvement (each screen is 1400x1400, versus 1080x1200), though not as much as the Samsung Odyssey.

If you want more convenience, don't mind not having as good motion control (when it's not in your FOV anyway)...it's a good deal at that price point, I think. I don't want to overstate the convenience, because a lot of people couldn't care less, but I am coming it from the perspective of someone who can pack up my Samsung Odyssey into a box in about 3 minutes, max, whereas it'd take at least ten times that to transport a complete HTC Vive setup (granted, if you're never expecting to move it, or change your gaming space, that's really not useful).

Synthesis on
    • Options
      DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
      Rothgarr wrote: »

I was thinking of trying 1, 2, or 3 pound wrist weights in beat saber. Maybe that would help?

Definitely do not do this. You will wreck your joints.

• Options
      Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
      Played another 40 minutes of skyrim and while I'm enjoying it and about to go play some more, two things are really bothering me.

I get stamina is a thing. But I'm using teleport travel and I constantly have to just sit there and let it regenerate, or butt hump the ground an inch at a time which defeats the point of teleporting for nausea reasons.
      I guess if you wanted to you could look around the Nexus for a modded ring of infinite stamina.
      Lots of neat rings out there: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57417 Though I can't find the one I used to use right now.

This discussion has been closed.