As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Thread Redemption

TubeTube Registered User admin
New thread talk about game.

Mark spoilers! For the first game too.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What game

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Great title.

You know, they could take out all the outlaw aspects of this game, add more to the chores and suppliy runs like somebody said, so it wasn't a menu, but something you had to do, and for me, give me the option to just be a lone mountain man, exploring and trapping, or hunting, and rarely interacting with people.

God, I would love that.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    What game

You lost the game!

(because it's 2007 I guess)

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I only discovered the chores playing yesterday, which thematically worked. It was just after (super mild chapter 2 spoiler because I'm slow at this)
    Sean's welcome back party, and I don't think anyone else was going to be in a state to help around the camp.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Great title.

You know, they could take out all the outlaw aspects of this game, add more to the chores and suppliy runs like somebody said, so it wasn't a menu, but something you had to do, and for me, give me the option to just be a lone mountain man, exploring and trapping, or hunting, and rarely interacting with people.

God, I would love that.

it was mentioned in the last thread that in the epilogue,
    it was a big relief and really empowering to get the pistols out again and go and be a gunslinger after shoveling shit and milking cows

i didn't see it that way. the game actually made me understand that the right narrative context can make almost any interactivity engaging and rewarding. no headshot felt as satisfying to me as filling that shit bucket up, catching a good trout or sipping coffee between pleasant conversation at camp. i hated having to strap up again. it felt like failure, or betrayal....

i'm not sure rockstar fully realised this themselves, and leaned into the gunplay too hard at times, and in ways that strained reason. or maybe there's just a lot of variance in how different gameplay elements engage different players - that seems to be true in this thread anyway.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Doing A Lot of Robbery is actually super fun. I have a near foolproof plan for robbing every register in Valentine. Stealing and selling horses and wagons is decent money. Operating with a huge bounty adds a bunch of tension. You can still do everything normally, you've just got to be really careful about letting the law see you in town. Bounty hunters are super deadly, but you get a ton of advanced warning that they're coming and can evade them.

I was stalking a 3 star elk when I saw the red pop up at the edge of my compass. I had to ditch the elk and run like fuck because i was in an exposed meadow and a stand up fight would have been suicide.

If you haven't been in town in awhile, or your appearance has dramatically changed, the lawmen might not even recognize you. I got in a fistfight in Valentine while I had a $300 bounty after being away for a time, and they treated me like a random drifter and told me to get outta town.

Alternatively, if they do recognize you it's pretty hilarious. I started some minor trouble with the intention of surrendering to clear my ridiculous bounty. The sherriff strolls up and goes 'all right fellas, what seems to be the trou-HOLY SHIT, ITS HIM! GET YOUR GODDAMNED HANDS UP' and I suddenly had a billion guns aimed at me.

If you turn yourself in with a super high bounty, the arrest is not kind.

Sometimes you do your time, sometimes the gang busts you out. Once, Dutch strolled in and talked me out of jail.

Outlawing is actually really entertaining. I did very little of it on my first go.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Man, one of the roughest parts of chapter 6 is just
    Watching the gang fall apart. Someone broke open the donation box, and now I can't donate, and supplies are dropping but nobody's pitching in anymore. The whole group is splitting into two factions, and it's tense and feels like a fight could break out. Like camp used to be a nice place to just hang out in, now you get there and want to leave.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Epilogue
    Is that the whole RDR1 map? Because whoa that's a lot of effort they went to when none of the quests (that I found) require you to venture very far into it.

Are there optional missions out there that I missed?

Is it just setup for RDR1 remake as DLC?

broken image link
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Epilogue
    Is that the whole RDR1 map? Because whoa that's a lot of effort they went to when none of the quests (that I found) require you to venture very far into it.

Are there optional missions out there that I missed?

Is it just setup for RDR1 remake as DLC?
    No, just the north half. It's missing the Mexico areas. There's legendary hunting and some npc interaction, but I haven't seen any Stranger missions yet.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    After Epilgoue spoiler
    Micah's gun is pretty nice stat wise

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Knob wrote: »
    Doing A Lot of Robbery is actually super fun. I have a near foolproof plan for robbing every register in Valentine. Stealing and selling horses and wagons is decent money. Operating with a huge bounty adds a bunch of tension. You can still do everything normally, you've just got to be really careful about letting the law see you in town. Bounty hunters are super deadly, but you get a ton of advanced warning that they're coming and can evade them.

I was stalking a 3 star elk when I saw the red pop up at the edge of my compass. I had to ditch the elk and run like fuck because i was in an exposed meadow and a stand up fight would have been suicide.

If you haven't been in town in awhile, or your appearance has dramatically changed, the lawmen might not even recognize you. I got in a fistfight in Valentine while I had a $300 bounty after being away for a time, and they treated me like a random drifter and told me to get outta town.

Alternatively, if they do recognize you it's pretty hilarious. I started some minor trouble with the intention of surrendering to clear my ridiculous bounty. The sherriff strolls up and goes 'all right fellas, what seems to be the trou-HOLY SHIT, ITS HIM! GET YOUR GODDAMNED HANDS UP' and I suddenly had a billion guns aimed at me.

If you turn yourself in with a super high bounty, the arrest is not kind.

Sometimes you do your time, sometimes the gang busts you out. Once, Dutch strolled in and talked me out of jail.

Outlawing is actually really entertaining. I did very little of it on my first go.

I did a good amount of random robbing in my first playthrough and the way they handle bounty hunting in this is great. I'll always remember the time that I completely out foxed them and basically waved to them from the railway bridge over the valley they were in.

• Options
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Great title.

God, I would love that.

it was mentioned in the last thread that in the epilogue,
    it was a big relief and really empowering to get the pistols out again and go and be a gunslinger after shoveling shit and milking cows

i didn't see it that way. the game actually made me understand that the right narrative context can make almost any interactivity engaging and rewarding. no headshot felt as satisfying to me as filling that shit bucket up, catching a good trout or sipping coffee between pleasant conversation at camp. i hated having to strap up again. it felt like failure, or betrayal....

i'm not sure rockstar fully realised this themselves, and leaned into the gunplay too hard at times, and in ways that strained reason. or maybe there's just a lot of variance in how different gameplay elements engage different players - that seems to be true in this thread anyway.

Right now I'm hunting, trying to upgrade everything that can be. And it kinda irks me when I'm out looking for animals, and O'Driscolls show up, or Lemoyne Raiders. I can't tell you how many pelts I've lost because I died

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am in epilogue 2 right now. The end is in sight.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    A RD3 doesn't have to be like GTA. It can still tackle the stories with some gravity and seriousness. It just would be nice not to (full game spoilers)
    have your main character die every time. Like the Epilogues are fun, I actually enjoyed building up the farm and I'd have appreciated more gameplay like it, but I want to play as Arthur and I can't now without restarting and there's no way I would ever be able to give another 60 hours over to it.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Finished the main game! I played a bit of the epilogue and am taking a bit of a break.
    GODDAMIT WHY IS MICAH STILL ALIVE

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Any tips for hunting wolves without dying or having to shoot them so much their pelts are worthless?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Bolt rifle to the head works fine for me.

• Options
    Any tips for hunting wolves without dying or having to shoot them so much their pelts are worthless?

Walk near them, dead eye and shoot them in the head with a rifle when they run at you.

They're actually really easy, unlike herbivores they don't hide their heads behind their bodies because they don't run away.

broken image link
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'd also like more side content like Charlotte.

Visiting her during the game and then visiting her in the end game is very satisfying.

• Options
    Guess who just hand-carried a perfect wolf carcass all the way from Big Valley, because he had just found the first perfect pronghorn right before wolves showed up out of thin air. Not a wild horse in site to break and carry it either.

In other news, it has rained 4 days straight in game. It's starting to feel a bit oppressive.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    First time I was in the mountains during a thunderstorm was impressive.

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Is there a way to rob ppl that doesn't involve them going for their guns? Seems like 9 out of 10 times I just have to shoot them.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I have good luck with pointing the gun, and then immediately hitting the "rob" button

Definitely have them at gunpoint first

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I have good luck with pointing the gun, and then immediately hitting the "rob" button

Definitely have them at gunpoint first

That's good to know.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Only rob gunless people

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    If you get close to someone with your knife out and hit the rob button you get some unique animations and almost guaranteed money. If someone goes for a gun, you can melee it out of their hand. If they're mounted, you can yank them off the horse or wagon then disarm them. If they're surly and have a gun out, you can just lasso and loot them. There's almost never call to shoot them that doesn't need shooting.

If you do plan on shooting someone during a confrontation though, the quickdraw mechanic works outside of duels. Hold down RT slightly with your revolver holstered to enter quickdraw. Make sure to spin your gun afterwards.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Dead eye, headshots with a rifle.

I almost never seek out wolves, they just show up when I’m on the trail at night or way out in the wilderness. I hear that howl and I get my rifle ready for killin’.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Fire Bottles

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »

Dead eye, headshots with a rifle.

I almost never seek out wolves, they just show up when I’m on the trail at night or way out in the wilderness. I hear that howl and I get my rifle ready for killin’.

I run away when I can, wolves are too good to kill if you don't have to.

There are a few quests where you have to kill some, and they are always 3 stars.

broken image link
  • Options
    Qoof. Tilly just stopped Arthur and told her jow she really doesn't like being in Lemoyne, and Arthur promosed to protect her.

Now I'm worried that's foreshadowing.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Just as a general word of advice about horses that isn't immediately obvious

Yes, different breeds do have different personalities, and so the better horse isn't always the higher-statted horse.

I had an arabian for quite a while, and while he can get you across the map in a flash, he was also real flighty and if I got attacked by animals it was really hard to control him

Now I'm on a big ol' roided out lookin' warhorse, and the lower speed and acceleration is more than balanced out by his give no fucks attitude

I got attacked by a real big pack of wolves, and if I had been on my arabian I probably would've been fucked

But warhorse was like, lol, bowling pins, and just ran the fuck over the wolves. I shot 3 and he trampled like 2.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Any tricks for the dry run horse challenges?

I went from Strawberry to St Denis in under 8 minutes and it didn’t pop, and I didn’t cross any streams. I went into a dry creek bed once when I fell off the train tracks, though.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

Yes, different breeds do have different personalities, and so the better horse isn't always the higher-statted horse.

I had an arabian for quite a while, and while he can get you across the map in a flash, he was also real flighty and if I got attacked by animals it was really hard to control him

Now I'm on a big ol' roided out lookin' warhorse, and the lower speed and acceleration is more than balanced out by his give no fucks attitude

I got attacked by a real big pack of wolves, and if I had been on my arabian I probably would've been fucked

But warhorse was like, lol, bowling pins, and just ran the fuck over the wolves. I shot 3 and he trampled like 2.

Hmmm, I might have to get the warhorse again.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I don't get to make or improve armor, I don't get massive weapon upgrades, there are no lasers or spaceships or magic swords...

But I think this is my favorite game.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Qoof. Tilly just stopped Arthur and told her jow she really doesn't like being in Lemoyne, and Arthur promosed to protect her.

Now I'm worried that's foreshadowing.

So far, as of chapter 4:
    She got kidnapped, but it was by her old gang, the same one the guy in Valentine who was harassing her when you went into town was from.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Do I need to keep the legendary animal carcass, or just it's pelt?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    And that's credits.
    Man, most of the stuff in epilogue 2 was just a ridiculously sweet love story/twist of the knife in the heart. I also noted there wasn't the big "Red Dead Redemption" title stinger like at the end of the first game, so it makes me believe that they look at both of those games as one long story, largely about John, and they have to be remaking the first one now, right? The only work they haven't done is implementing those story missions into the existing world.

Anyway, I wondered for a long time while I was playing it if it would usurp the first game's spot on my "favorite games of all time" list and I think it's actually just going to join it. Together they might be the most emotionally affecting video games I've ever played.

• Options
    Do I need to keep the legendary animal carcass, or just it's pelt?

When you skin it you automatically take everything unique you need for crafting purposes.

Only thing is if you want the carcass to sell in town or give to Pearson at camp

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

I've fully bonded with an Arabian and a Turkoman, and I prefer the Turkoman if I'm being honest. Need to get the Tiger Stripe Mustang next for a real comparison.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo