As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' CanuckRegistered User regular
https://youtu.be/UxJvrD80nJ4

Hello out there, we're on the air, it's 'Hockey Night' tonight.
Tension grows, the whistle blows, and the puck goes down the ice
The goalie jumps, and the players bump, and the fans all go insane
Someone roars, "Bobby Scores!", at the good ol' hockey jame

OH! The ol' hockey game is the best game you can name
And the best game you can name is the good ol' hockey game

ytc68s6cwkw8.jpg

Justin Trudeau, the man you know, he's PM of this state
Some love him and some hate him but you know his hair is great
His hands are full with lots of bull from some guy right down south
And when he speaks a ton of "uh"s are issued from his mouth

pswvkqe6766q.jpg

Now Andrew Scheer has come up here to lead the CPC
Say what you will, for good or ill, at least they're not PP
He likes to talk, but can he walk? That remains to be seen
We'll all find out and scream and shout in ol' twenty-nineteen

5nwpvkb6vu78.jpg

And Jagmeet Singh is here to bring the Dippers to the show
He doesn't pose for hockey but he'll sometimes stand in snow
Although he's an Ontarian, he's come to Burnaby
To bring the heat and win a seat for the good ol' NDP

djkchelhbu9h.jpg

Our friend Liz May's still here today, her party's at just one
But you can't say the Greens don't know some good ways to have fun
She went to jail, but still she failed to stop the pipeline, see,
And now trade war is raging 'tween Alberta and BC

And I could talk about the Bloc or Maxime Bernier
But Tom's already spinnin' in his stompin' grave today
So let's all talk 'bout politics, try not to pass the blame
Just think of Question Period like the good ol' hockey game

OOOOOOH The ol' hockey game is the best game you can name
And the best game you can name is the good ol' hockey game

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
SwashbucklerXX on

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    doug ford can eat shit

liEt3nH.png
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Judging by the way he grins, he often does.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    @SwashbucklerXX I can hear the song in my head as I read the FP and I didn't even click the video! You rock those lyrics!

steam_sig.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    What a great OP!

Is it just me, or has the CBC decided to directly speak to my fears about climate change and war on a weekly basis? I liked them better when they were talking 24/7 about weed legalization.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    This is fine work, swash

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, "I have some pics for the next thread" didn't quite capture what has been done here.

Well played.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    SwashbucklerXX on
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    re: visiting Yellowknife, from the previous thread --this mostly isn't political, but there is a tiny bit of thread-relevant stuff here, I promise:
    Nova_C wrote: »
    We get about 8 or so hours of light this time of year, but be of a mindset where getting to see the aurora borealis is a nice bonus, and not the reason for the trip. It has been overcast constantly, the past few days, which is not unusual, and even if its clear, the aurora doesn't happen all the time.

But if you do get to see it when you're up here, it's pretty great.

Well, we got lucky -- Saturday night was clouded over, and Friday had a little bit of cloud at sunset:

YnYrZ4M.jpg
    Jir70xB.jpg

but cleared up very nicely later on:

T46ToIj.jpg
    GVAME1c.jpg

And the rest of Yellowknife was also awesome -- we walked around Frame Lake, and yeah, it was definitely snowy:

1UPDKFM.jpg
    q6aZd6G.jpg

We saw road signs:

eTU7P72.jpg
    mG6q7n1.jpg

and the museum, which is about exactly the right size, and the Legislature, which is pretty awesome and now I know more about how politics in the NWT works than I did before (it actually sounds like a better system than a lot of others -- also, your mace is super great, especially now I know what Alberta's mace used to be made of ):

avNA77T.jpg
    t1zJHZx.jpg

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Aww I forgot about the tiny trees, I miss the tiny trees, it was always weird for someone who grew up in B.C. to have a forest I could see over top of.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I feel like I had that mace in The Burning crusade

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    The central shaft of that mace is, amazingly, a Narwhal horn. (whereas the original Alberta mace was made from some iron plumbing pipe and a toilet tank float, painted gold).

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Man I'd be afraid I'd snap it if I held it.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Man I'd be afraid I'd snap it if I held it.

That's why it should really only be wielded against the undead where it has a natural +5 for being a blunt instrument.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    'It's done': Ford says gender identity debate will not go forward
    CityNews wrote:
    Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he will not be moving forward with a proposed policy on gender identity introduced at a weekend convention of his Progressive Conservative party.

I anticipate him, rather than trying to introduce it to the legislature, just trying to unilaterally declare it and then claiming the notwithstanding clause when the courts say he can't. But for now, good news.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Shadowen wrote: »
    'It's done': Ford says gender identity debate will not go forward
    CityNews wrote:
    Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he will not be moving forward with a proposed policy on gender identity introduced at a weekend convention of his Progressive Conservative party.

I anticipate him, rather than trying to introduce it to the legislature, just trying to unilaterally declare it and then claiming the notwithstanding clause when the courts say he can't. But for now, good news.

Seriously, don't these feebs have anything better to do than wring their hands over someones gender identity? Aside from the fact that none of it is anyones goddamn business, it literally cannot hurt anyone. We are literally facing an existential threat when it comes to global warming, and these monsters want to debate over whether or not trans people are a thing. Tanya Granic Allen should put her head in a blender to spare the rest of us from her bullshit. The only good thing she's gone is let the rest of us know that "parental rights advocate" is code for hateful homophobe.

In good news along the same subject, it is my understanding that gender reassignment surgery will soon be available in BC. Now there is another option aside from Montreal. This makes me very happy.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    So somethingthefuck is happening in the BC legislature. It's not good when the RCMP is investigating the sergeant-at-arms and clerk and won't even tell the premier what's going on...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/james-lenz-bc-legislature-leave-1.4913351

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Reposting from the se++ bad food thread, since I know some posters here are in Quebec and Ontario, where this seems focused so far: (though I wouldn't buy any for a while anywhere in North America, personally) There's an e.coli outbreak that they think is in romaine lettuce. So don't buy any, toss it if you have some and wash your fridge well.
    https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-11-18/index.html

Sorry for the off-topic

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Is anyone listening to the Thunder Bay podcast produced by Canadaland? Holy shit are parts of it crazy. I didn't know much about Thunder Bay prior to listening, and I know that there are many communities like this in Canada but wooooow.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Is anyone listening to the Thunder Bay podcast produced by Canadaland? Holy shit are parts of it crazy. I didn't know much about Thunder Bay prior to listening, and I know that there are many communities like this in Canada but wooooow.

What did they say?

I lived in TBay for 8 years, so I'd love to compare notes.

sig.gif
    edited November 2018
    Currently 4 episodes are out so they have covered a lot of ground. Things like shadiness of the mayor, a prominent lawyer, the sex trade, etc.

http://www.canadalandshow.com/shows/thunder-bay/

e: Here are the descriptions for the episodes that are out:

Chapter 1: There Is A Town In North Ontario
    Locals call it Murder Bay. It might be the most dangerous city for Indigenous youth in the world. But to others, it's their white nirvana. Host Ryan McMahon wants to know - not who killed all those kids, but what killed them. This is Thunder Bay.

Chapter 2: Clowns
    A dark, grainy, cellphone video leads to criminal charges against the mayor, his wife, the chief of police, and a multimillionaire lawyer turned convicted sex offender, whose wife disappeared years ago.

Chapter 3 – Deathly Low Priority
    Nine teenagers died. There is evidence of foul play. There are suspects. There are motives. There have even been confessions. But nobody has ever been charged. In a town with no consequences, it will happen again.

Chapter 4 – The Ruthless Game
    Agnew Johnston was a lawyer who represented the state against criminals. But he was a criminal himself, paying underage girls for sex. His defence? Everybody in Thunder Bay is doing it, so why are you picking on me? The story of a case that implicated Thunder Bay's elite.

BlazeFire on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Does anyone have an article(s) with the actual details of the canada post negotiations, specifically detailing what was asked for, offered or rejected from either side?
    I tried searching but the only articles I could find about it mostly focused on telling people what services they should use instead of canada post, or are either using incredibly vague terms to deify/demonize either canada post, the government, the union, or any combination of which while all still seeming to contradict themselves.

BlazeFire wrote: »
    Currently 4 episodes are out so they have covered a lot of ground. Things like shadiness of the mayor, a prominent lawyer, the sex trade, etc.

http://www.canadalandshow.com/shows/thunder-bay/

e: Here are the descriptions for the episodes that are out:

Chapter 1: There Is A Town In North Ontario
    Locals call it Murder Bay. It might be the most dangerous city for Indigenous youth in the world. But to others, it's their white nirvana. Host Ryan McMahon wants to know - not who killed all those kids, but what killed them. This is Thunder Bay.

Chapter 2: Clowns
    A dark, grainy, cellphone video leads to criminal charges against the mayor, his wife, the chief of police, and a multimillionaire lawyer turned convicted sex offender, whose wife disappeared years ago.

Chapter 3 – Deathly Low Priority
    Nine teenagers died. There is evidence of foul play. There are suspects. There are motives. There have even been confessions. But nobody has ever been charged. In a town with no consequences, it will happen again.

Chapter 4 – The Ruthless Game
    Agnew Johnston was a lawyer who represented the state against criminals. But he was a criminal himself, paying underage girls for sex. His defence? Everybody in Thunder Bay is doing it, so why are you picking on me? The story of a case that implicated Thunder Bay's elite.

I'll add some of my own substance to this. Two things stood out to me:
    1) The comments from some locals are so matter-of-factly or just accepting of the way things are.
    2) How corrupt the levers of power seem to be (ie a judge presiding over a trial where he was potentially going to be named in regards to the sex trade).

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Sounds about right. Thunder Bay is the most racist city I've lived in, with a literal homicidal hatred of First Nations people, and cops are 100% in on it.

sig.gif
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Doug Ford: "Y'know who doesn't have it bad enough? The poors."

70% of Ontario did not vote for this.

Un-fucking-real.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/aglc-reaction-national-product-shortage-1.4914822

Good job government. All these stores that are all on hold are paying rent and were awaiting approval.... Good luck with the lawsuit this will inevitably bring.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Un-fucking-real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Pfft, Ford wouldn't even consider "raise HST and kill all the poor"

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Here is a CBC article about the fall fiscal update. Note how the article continually harps on about deficit, deficit, deficit, and balanced budgets!

If you scroll all the way down to literally the last paragraph of said article you find this:
    But the size of the debt compared to GDP — the ratio the Liberals tend to cite as a measure of the federal government's fiscal health — will continue to decline.

*throws hands up into the air*

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    A government never has to run a surplus if the growth of their tax base is larger than the growth of their debt.

teriferin#1625
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Balancing the budget by 2019 was a campaign promise, so everything talking about that will mention it

Phyphor on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Un-fucking-real.
    To offset the move, the Tories have exempted those earning under $30,000 from provincial income tax and given a tax cut to those earning up to $38,000. But critics maintain the plan will save workers less money than they would gain through a wage hike.

I feel like this part is notable as a means to further disregard anything people in that range might have to say, on the grounds of “they’re not even actual Taxpayers”.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I'm pretty pissed off about the sick leave changes. I'm currently at a company that has a good sick leave policy of 6 paid days per year and it's been great but my project is changing companies on January 1st. With the new company the sick leave is in accordance with the Ontario Employment Standard Act which was 2 paid days and 8 unpaid days. Now even those 2 paid days are gone so anytime I'm sick, it's going to cost me a couple hundred dollars which basically discourages me from staying home and could lead to me infection the office. I only tend to get sick a few times per year but I have kids (also known as plague bearers) and so I'm basically a carrier too.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    I'm pretty pissed off about the sick leave changes. I'm currently at a company that has a good sick leave policy of 6 paid days per year and it's been great but my project is changing companies on January 1st. With the new company the sick leave is in accordance with the Ontario Employment Standard Act which was 2 paid days and 8 unpaid days. Now even those 2 paid days are gone so anytime I'm sick, it's going to cost me a couple hundred dollars which basically discourages me from staying home and could lead to me infection the office. I only tend to get sick a few times per year but I have kids (also known as plague bearers) and so I'm basically a carrier too.

I worked for a company like that many years ago.

I went in and purposely scheduled meetings and project reviews with as many executives and managers as I could.

Spread the love, right?

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I feel so lucky in comparison. The place I work at used to give you 3 paid flexible days off a year that you could use for sick days, otherwise it was unpaid. A few years ago they made a huge change. We still have our 3 flexible days off but we get "unlimited" paid days off for sickness/family emergencies. Unlimited in quotes because while there's no official maximum number if you end up reaching around 10 sick days in a year you will most likely end up having a chat with HR. But it's still much better than what many workplaces offer.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I feel so lucky in comparison. The place I work at used to give you 3 paid flexible days off a year that you could use for sick days, otherwise it was unpaid. A few years ago they made a huge change. We still have our 3 flexible days off but we get "unlimited" paid days off for sickness/family emergencies. Unlimited in quotes because while there's no official maximum number if you end up reaching around 10 sick days in a year you will most likely end up having a chat with HR. But it's still much better than what many workplaces offer.

I think I have 8 paid sick days per year, which is about twice as many as I've ever used.

I'm in a union though, and work for a p understanding manager.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I get 0 paid sick days, and am forced to choose between using vacation days (i get 15 days per year) or being unpaid.

i have 6 year of seniority at my group

the latest DoFo change really grinds my gears

J3qcnBP.png
    We have "unlimited" paid sick days. I anticipate this changing in the next year or two due to change in management.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I am glad to have a very laid-back boss for my IA job who keeps us to 8 hrs + flexible schedules. If we're sick we're sick, but they expect us to finish the work.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    Fireflash wrote: »

We don't really have a firm policy but after about 6-7 sick days they start docking your vacation. As long as your work get's done no one really bats an eye.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Overtime stayed at 44 hours too didnt it

Companies and business always come out so far ahead

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
This discussion has been closed.