As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:Stormblood] Rise of a New Sun (Patch 4.2) rises Jan 30th [Prelim Patch Notes]

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Got Stormblood on the sale. Take a bit to learn whats new. I'll focus on WHM for now. I have a MMO Mouse so mouselook macros will be easier for me. Sent an app to GHOST.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Time Mage please

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    A minimum of people would main blu, the rest would either not touch it or just level it like any other job. Now it's a thing for everyone

How do you figure?

BLU literally can't do anything involving a group without the group being premade. No Roulette, dungeons, trials, PvP, etc etc. Which adds up to a LOT of barred content. Not to mention the level cap of 50 that will be periodically raised with patches (IIRC).

I've no doubt a lot of people are gonna try it out, myself included, but all the caveats surrounding it will firmly keep it in the "side activity" category. Not unlike say a mini-game.

If it was a traditional job it'd likely have a lot longer shelf life for me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Still rooting for Berserker.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Time Mage please

I think Time Mage would be a nightmare for them. The best parts of that class are buffs and debuffs, which could swing way too far and have the class be mandatory or useless (party synergy vs. bosses being immune to debuffs).

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    narratively astrologian is already dipping their toes into time magic stuff

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    narratively astrologian is already dipping their toes into time magic stuff

Also in their spells, since they get Gravity. That's like, the one offensive thing associated with time mages.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    GIVE US CALCULATOR (arithmetician)

OR MIME

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I feel like that second one might be a mite limiting!

And/or entirely too frantic in a party > 4

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    edited November 2018
    Though RPers playing Mime might make it worth the effort to include.

edit- Axen's List of Jobs He'd Like To See (In No Particular Order), But Wont Lose Any Sleep Over If They're Never Added:

Dancer (Healer?)- I feel pretty confident this one will be added sooner or later. Healer seems maybe likely, but I'd be fine with DPS too. I kinda picture it something like Bard, but instead of DPS and Buffs it is Heals and Buffs.

Chemist (Healer)- Honestly when they first teased a gun user Job I thought it'd be Chemist. Would still be down for one.

Beast Master (DPS)- I'd be perfectly fine if it was a standard pet class kinda thing. As much as I'd love it to be Pokemon.

Arthimetician (DPS)- No idea how this would work, I just love saying "Arthimetician".

Beserker (DPS)- Come on who doesn't want a dual axe wielding barbarian? Probably the most straightforward of the potential classes out there.

I'm not sure what is still out there that could make for good Tanks.

Axen on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Geomance 100%

I kinda feel like the AST storyline un-confirmed geomancer pretty dang hard

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The AST story actually makes the point that Geomancy is a separate thing from Astrology. The two classes working together end up being able to produce greater effects than just one class working on their own. It does suggest that geomancy seems to be a healing/warding based class.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Axen wrote: »
    Axen's List of Jobs He'd Like To See (In No Particular Order), But Wont Lose Any Sleep Over If They're Never Added:

Chemist (Healer)- Honestly when they first teased a gun user Job I thought it'd be Chemist. Would still be down for one.

I've been wanting this for a while. I'm thinking their main mechanic would be mixing ingredients in much the same way ninjas perform jutsus.

Man in the Mists on
    Geomancer should be a tank class, summon the earth to cover yourself in rocks and all that

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the ast story makes the point that geomancers are fuckin' loser idiots

liEt3nH.png
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

So the AST position is that they should go kick rocks?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    warrior has alteady chomped any flavor you'd give berserker, up to and including an ability called "berserk"

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Ugh I'm level 68. Halfway to 69. I need to grind some FATEs out

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So who wants the next thread?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.

That's just like the establishment, dude. Gotta use that 100% free-range heritage, grass-fed traditional geomancy if you want the good stuff.

Caedwyr wrote: »

That's just like the establishment, dude. Gotta use that 100% free-range heritage, grass-fed traditional geomancy if you want the good stuff.

Yeah man, farm to party is the only way to live.

edited November 2018
    So for the upcoming new abilities for established classes, I favour upgrades to existing skills which helps reduce bloat and can involve combining abilities that do similar things for no real gain which makes room for more abilities.

For PLD, something that could be cool is changing the wings ability so pressing the button again after activating it delivers a high potency shield bash riposte attack. Maybe make the potency based on the amount of damage mitigated (including on others shielded). This would effectively be a new thing to use as part of the toolkit, but not increasing the number of hotkeys.

Or for another class, remove the riddles of elements for monk and make them part of the activation of the existing stances after you get the trait that upgrades the ability.

Essentially, look for where 1-2 abilities can be eliminated by being combined with another similar ability, upgrade existing abilities via traits for new gameplay, and then take advantage of the reduced number of abilities by adding maybe one new level 80 ability.

Caedwyr on
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    So for the upcoming new abilities for established classes, I favour upgrades to existing skills which helps reduce bloat and can involve combining abilities that do similar things for no real gain which makes room for more abilities.

For PLD, something that could be cool is changing the wings ability so pressing the button again after activating it delivers a high potency shield bash riposte attack. Maybe make the potency based on the amount of damage mitigated (including on others shielded). This would effectively be a new thing to use as part of the toolkit, but not increasing the number of hotkeys.

Or for another class, remove the riddles of elements for monk and make them part of the activation of the existing stances after you get the trait that upgrades the ability.

Essentially, look for where 1-2 abilities can be eliminated by being combined with aniyher similar ability, upgrade existing abilities via traits for new gameplay, and then take advantage of the reduced number of abilities by adding maybe one new level 80 ability.

Before anything else they need to just give us the combo keys from PvP, though granted that's slightly difficult for Monk. I assume they'd sort them as "side combo", "back combo", "other combo" or something, and they would just all advance. But Perfect Balance screws with that, though I suppose it's usually used just for the third strikes, unless Twin Snakes tends to get in there. Not sure what MNK's usual strings are. SAM has their ability to go out of sequence too... and they also have stuff on the middle stage of the sequence. Could just have pushing that key put both buffs up too as a minor buff to the class so they'd only have to use it on sen generators.

I think I'd try and do away with oGCD damage buttons in general too - things you always just hit for damage when they're off cooldown. NIN has a LOT of those. They have bonus effects, but even then... Jugulate is the only one that can't easily be folded into other stuff because it's CC. One big oGCD you time to align with buffs, maybe? Eh... not sure it's worth the mental effort. Add stuff with traits to make it earn its spot. I'd also just remove executes. It feels like on a lot of bosses you hit it once during the whole fight, because that final bit of HP melts before it's off cooldown (or limit breaks are dropped to chop the last chunk off, etc). Though it's really thematic for NIN...

I'd prune back role actions, so many of them are just... hyper situational at best.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    if we get dancer and dude-with-a-gunblade in shadowbadow like folks are expecting, what becomes the next job folks start loudly demanding? green mage?

I will be alone on my hill screaming for a dual-wielding Judge tank.

Just give me a class with FFXII style Judge armor dammit.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Axen's List of Jobs He'd Like To See (In No Particular Order), But Wont Lose Any Sleep Over If They're Never Added:

I've been wanting this for a while. I'm thinking their main mechanic would be mixing ingredients in much the same way ninjas perform jutsus.

Had this exact thought before Ninja was a thing.

I still really, really want it.

Kamar on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    When making your macros, is there a command to show the original help text for an ability? I know /showicon lets you use the ability's actual icon, but is there a way to preserve the help text?

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2018
    if we get dancer and dude-with-a-gunblade in shadowbadow like folks are expecting, what becomes the next job folks start loudly demanding? green mage?

I will be alone on my hill screaming for a dual-wielding Judge tank.

Just give me a class with FFXII style Judge armor dammit.

I don't think they are going to do it because Garlians wear that kind of armor.

And if they did allow players to get it it would likely be tomestone sets out of some series of dungeons.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    My #1 choice is chemist. Alchemy already exists in the world, it shouldn't be hard to create some lore separating the current alchemists from a chemist job (off the top of my head - make it come from Sharlayan, and set it up as an Astrologian upstart competitor).

If elemental weaknesses were a thing, I'd love a Spellblade/Mystic Knight/Rune Fencer class.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    They mentioned puppet masters as a possible future limited job. I don't know how they work in other FFs, but I'd like to see a hybrid combat/crafting job where you have to fight mobs to get inspiration for a puppet and then collect materials and craft the puppet (special rewards for crafting X amount of HQ puppets!!!). You do combat by throwing your puppets at enemies and then they do stuff.

That, or necromancer.

reVerse on
    I would rather Puppet Master not be a limited job.

Like in my head one way to go about it would be to have the puppet simply be the weapon. The puppet itself wouldn't actually be a "pet" like say SCH/SMN have, it wouldn't have HP either and even though the puppet itself might be attacking in melee in effect it'd functionally be a "ranged" weapon.

I want blue mage to take off and for there to be more limited jobs, personally

I'm super down for this stuff

Nightslyr wrote: »
    My #1 choice is chemist. Alchemy already exists in the world, it shouldn't be hard to create some lore separating the current alchemists from a chemist job (off the top of my head - make it come from Sharlayan, and set it up as an Astrologian upstart competitor).

If elemental weaknesses were a thing, I'd love a Spellblade/Mystic Knight/Rune Fencer class.

I think they could make Chemist work from a lore perspective if it comes from Garlemald. Garleans as a race have issues with magic, iirc*, so making a healer that functions through alchemical and technological solutions would be right up their alley.

*I figured their casters came from conquered nations like Ala Mhigo.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Skeith wrote: »

I think they could make Chemist work from a lore perspective if it comes from Garlemald. Garleans as a race have issues with magic, iirc*, so making a healer that functions through alchemical and technological solutions would be right up their alley.

As I recall you are correct. Garleans, like the actual "Yo I got three eyes" Garleans cannot use magic.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

As I recall you are correct. Garleans, like the actual "Yo I got three eyes" Garleans cannot use magic.

They're bad with aether. I forget exactly how it works, but I'm pretty sure the story's explained exactly what's up with them that prevents it. I think Eorzeans are also more attuned to aether than others.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Tcheldor wrote: »

They're bad with aether. I forget exactly how it works, but I'm pretty sure the story's explained exactly what's up with them that prevents it. I think Eorzeans are also more attuned to aether than others.

I don't think it's explained beyond them just having innately poor affinity for it. This led to them being pushed around by races and nations with better mages. Then they invent magitek to overcome the deficiency and start conquest for revenge.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Though RPers playing Mime might make it worth the effort to include.

edit- Axen's List of Jobs He'd Like To See (In No Particular Order), But Wont Lose Any Sleep Over If They're Never Added:

Dancer (Healer?)- I feel pretty confident this one will be added sooner or later. Healer seems maybe likely, but I'd be fine with DPS too. I kinda picture it something like Bard, but instead of DPS and Buffs it is Heals and Buffs.

Beast Master (DPS)- I'd be perfectly fine if it was a standard pet class kinda thing. As much as I'd love it to be Pokemon.

Arthimetician (DPS)- No idea how this would work, I just love saying "Arthimetician".

Beserker (DPS)- Come on who doesn't want a dual axe wielding barbarian? Probably the most straightforward of the potential classes out there.

I'm not sure what is still out there that could make for good Tanks.

Beastmaster was explicitly mentioned by Yoshi as an idea of where they'd like to take the Limited Job system forward from Blue Mage, for Pokemon-ing reasons.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    World of FFXIV incoming. Prepard for d'awverload.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

No, if chemists are coming from anywhere, it's going to be Thavinair. You know, the place that a ton of chemical reagents in the game are already tied to.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

No, if chemists are coming from anywhere, it's going to be Thavinair. You know, the place that a ton of chemical reagents in the game are already tied to.

Fair point.

aTBDrQE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.