As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Keyforge: The Age of Ascension is upon us!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    This is true, Sanctum sucks ass to play against

but what if you were the one controlling the Sanctum...

I'd do the same thing I would if I were a Blue player.

Douse holy water on myself and burn to death.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    But Blue players like water...

DSZ5dAG.png

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know what card I hate more?

Drumble, that Dis imp that if your opponent has 7 or more when you play it, you capture *all* of their Æmber.

That little motherbusser kept me off from forging *so* many keys one game.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The odd thing about this game is that when you have a good turn, it feels mean in a way I don't think I've ever felt in a card game, or maybe even any game?

you can just BRUTALIZE your opponent if you get a good hand, one of the most common things that happen in my games has been us apologizing to each other before we start laying it out

6F32U1X.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Just got back from a release sealed event, got a Brobnar-Mars-Untamed deck. Only two rares, but the deck has great synergies. Also included a Maverick Nepenthe Seed in Mars (not too exciting since I have Untamed, and it's Omni anyway...).
    I went 3-0 in my pod of 12, but ended up tied with another undefeated player and he won on strength of schedule to get the metal key set. :(

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The odd thing about this game is that when you have a good turn, it feels mean in a way I don't think I've ever felt in a card game, or maybe even any game?

you can just BRUTALIZE your opponent if you get a good hand, one of the most common things that happen in my games has been us apologizing to each other before we start laying it out

Yeah well my friend didn't apologize to me when he mimicked my shatter storm and destroyed his 3 aember to destroy my 9.
    A few turns before I had nuked his 6 eamber hehe

But I always apologize when I play ghosly hand.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • KesterKester Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I think both learning games (using the base decks) I've seen have taken about an hour. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with trying to control the board instead of reaping. I'm not really sure the best logic for fighting vs reaping yet, but I'm starting to think reaping might just be better overall unless you have a specific creature to remove, or bonuses for fighting.

Yeah, I think there's a strong instinct to fight and kill things when you don't need to. It's definitely a trap I've fallen into.

In a lot of games, beating down your opponent's stuff works because eventually they run out of gas and so now they're empty, you're not, and you can proceed with your strategy unimpeded. In Keyforge, your opponent is unlikely to ever run out of gas. In fact, the faster you burn your gas the more gas you get. So if you spend all your time getting rid of your opponent's gas you're basically running in place while they dig closer to any outs they have. And since you're probably using an established board, you're probably not going through as many cards each turn as them (because your hand quickly fills with the houses you aren't using), which means they're seeing more gas each turn than you are. This is a recipe for them making a comeback.

Yup, agree with this. Your dream turn is to play all 6 cards in hand and then draw back up again (a lesson I learned from Blue Moon, which has a similar "draw to 6 at the end of each turn" mechanic). As well as the implications on fight vs reap, I think it also often means your board has to be really strong (in terms of the amount of aember it can pull in) before it's worth activating a house primarily to use your board rather than just trying to play more cards from hand.

My first deck has a pile of huge Brobnar creatures, but v little else in that house that gains aember. So far my feeling is that the role of that house in the deck is just to remove opposing creatures that have strong reap abilities - activating Brobnar only gets me about 2-3 aember for that turn, which feels way too slow, so it's only worth it if the fighting is sufficiently slowing your opponent down too.

edited November 2018
    New article up, talking about Discovery Pods at conventions. They'll be running them at PAX Unplugged and South if you'll be there.

Also if you're going to be at Unplugged and are a pin hunter, there's a Bad Penny Pinny Arcade pin.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Played two games tonight with my buddy Kevin, we each tried two of our unplayed decks. Saw some dirty, dirty position swings.

He played a Coward's Legacy that killed my fresh board of four creatures, but then I played a Shockstorm that burned my 3 Amber to burn his 7. He played a Brobnar action to kill the three strongest creatures in play (or maybe it was Dis?), but I played an Untamed card to dig it out of his discards and play it myself to kill his Trolls. Just the dirtiest pool, back and forth. So much fun.

I would really like to get my hands on a Dis/Shadows/Whatever deck, but I'm probably not going to rush out and buy any more decks for... hell, at least a few days. There's a lot of potential in three of my five decks.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Just to add an extra thrill of excitement to cracking a new pack...

69et7q6twlcp.jpg

People are crazy.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Thats ridiculous. Thats not even funny.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I would like to sell my decks for that much as well, please.

What is this I don't even.
    edited November 2018
    I'm wondering if my mate with the double Time Traveller deck can get in on this crazy action. According to a data analysis I saw on Reddit his is only one of 25 registered world wide.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2018
    I'm wondering if my mate with the double Time Traveller deck can get in on this crazy action. According to a data analysis I saw on Reddit his is only one of 25 registered world wide.

My buddy gave one of his unopened decks to his wife so she could "own" one and learn to play with it. It has double Time Traveller. It is disgusting.

Rius on
    Check this deck out;

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/374b8342-fa66-40ab-9e4d-3f06524d26d1

Two Epic Quests and seven Knights. How'd you like to forge all three keys on the same turn?

edited November 2018
    Oh wow. The pretty great unofficial online implementation of the game now let's you import your decks!

https://www.thecrucible.online/play

Get in before the C&D.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

This might be the biggest problem I have with the game. When you have an especially good play, it usually seems broken in a way that doesn't feel fun, or particularly ingenious. Just ... "Wow, so that happened. I'm ... sorry?"

Darric on
    That's Keyforge though, every house has cards that shit on your opponent somehow, even beyond clearing creatures

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    It's probably a mental disconnect between building a deck that purposefully attempts to destroy your opponent, and buying a deck that happens to have the cards necessary to perform that combo.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Cracked my first deck, it's named "The Loneliness Who Silently Hunts Cards"

You... You don't know me Keyforge!

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »

This might be the biggest problem I have with the game. When you have an especially good play, it usually seems broken in a way that doesn't feel fun, or particularly ingenious. Just ... "Wow, so that happened. I'm ... sorry?"

Oh I disagree, I feel VERY smart when I pull off those combos, but I also feel like an asshole because it comes with basically going "I have just invalidated your entire strategy"

6F32U1X.png
    Got all 7 houses in my 4 decks which is nice. I can't fucking wait to play this game.

Have there been any simple names, like Bob, for decks? Or do they all include at minimum 3 words?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    The simplest I've seen was 3 words, but there are a lot of decks yknow

Oh neat, Burger Tokens has a upgrade kit that comes with Armor and Chains tokens (plus some extra damage and stun/power tokens).

persona4celestia.jpg
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    Only played a few games. I do like it alot. Most matchups have been even exept one where one deck had alot of artifacts and the other player could do nothing about them.

Artefact removal is very rare, but on the other hand no persistent artefacts are really bomb cards. They're just nice bonuses when you call the relevant house.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    A lot of learning to play keyforge for me is learning to weigh amber gain against developing board presence. Sometimes playing the house you have most card in hand off doesn't equate to the most amber gain.

steam_sig.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    New article up, talking about Discovery Pods at conventions. They'll be running them at PAX Unplugged and South if you'll be there.

Also if you're going to be at Unplugged and are a pin hunter, there's a Bad Penny Pinny Arcade pin.

please, bad pinny.

liEt3nH.png
    Played 6x last night with the guy who runs the game Meetup I go to. Tried all my decks and man there's some shenanigans in some of them. I want to buy more decks 0_0

Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Played 6x last night with the guy who runs the game Meetup I go to. Tried all my decks and man there's some shenanigans in some of them. I want to buy more decks 0_0

Same here, introduced a friend of mine to keyforge yesterday. Played well into the night.
    His personal opinion was: better than magic.
    No mana
    Lots of choices each turn
    No topdeck mode

steam_sig.png
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Got the wife to try the game out. First game went well, her deck went ham and mine couldn't find any combos. Game 2, was a little bumpy. Discard and deck pile got confused, and then I let her know she needed to forge a key. This flips a switch and she's done with the game.

Game is solid, love the kooky decks and the combos that can come up. Just heads up, it can cause fights, haha.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    Still no cores in stock and I dont think they have any archon packs left over either.

Apparently its a problem with some other newer games coming out as well, demand is just higher than supply. :|

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Of my FLGS, one is totally sold out and the other is down to archon decks. Both ha e purchase limits in place.

Got my brother into it over Thanksgiving and he bought two decks and has since proceeded to eat me alive with Untamed amber generation.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I got around to picking up three decks today (for once my friend got the starter pack). One has my preferred houses (dis sanctum brobnar), and also has a copy of the four horsemen! One was pretty boring, and the other is, uh, interesting.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh, also I got a new deck and it has a maverick Earthshaker.

Proctor, Boltwich's Bookbinder

Lots of taunt setup in Mars and Sanctum to protect my guys against anything but board wipes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Played some best of three games last night in that format where you play, swap, and then bid chains for the double winning deck in the final round. It’s a great format!

Different deck pairings each time:

First game the double Tim Traveller (as he has been now named) deck my mate has won both of the initial rounds, but then I overbid chains for it in the final so lost to my own deck.

Second game I won with both decks so no need for a third round, which feels good. Especially as I pulled off the Epic Quest with my opponent’s deck he has yet to manage.

Third game my opponent’s deck won both the initial rounds, but I was confident my deck had had bad luck in the first and poor unfamiliar piloting in the second so stuck with it and won the third which had a nice underdog victory feel.

I strongly recommend it. There can be no complaints of uneven decks and the bidding for the third round can lead to some amusing moments of being hamstrung by your own hubris.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    By Saturday I may own a deck! Unless all of PAX buys them out. Hoping to keep with tradition and win the first game against a friend. Curious what we'll both pull.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Going to my FLGS after work today for my first Keyforge event. I'm feeling like buying a new deck or two again, so it's good timing.

I assume they still have some decks because the rumor was this store bought a pallet of decks during prerelease, but we'll see.