As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2019 Challenge Coin - 54% sold!

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I agree that just pasting the image of the llama would not be a very good design, but I think the Battle Royal theme would be fun. Possibly a PAX pinata with the same colors and a saying "Which line we droppin boys?"

IhtGIyi.png
  • shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Maybe a map of Texas with a circle closing in on San Antonio to represent the zone borders in BR games?

Here's a rough mock-up with my expert Paint skillz. Perfect 5/7!k125tm8ziay6.png

shimwood on
    khd33hubozxv.png
  • RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Hmm, I like it. I'd want to add some text to make it more obvious what we're going for. Would, "Which line we droppin boys?" Work? I just saw for PUBG, "Drop in and Stay Alive". I could see that working

I have not been playing any BR games, lol

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
    I think the maps also have the names of places on them so we can probably use a different map of Texas with the major cities listed. That'll also allow us to get a more accurate zone circle on San Antonio.

And, yeah, I don't play any BR games nor do I really watch any anymore.

khd33hubozxv.png
    Something like this?

5ah2qgqk1ngp.gif

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • The PopeThe Pope Registered User regular
    I'm thinking the text is too busy, especially on a coin. We could have symbols that represent the cities, like a domed building (Austin), Astros (Houston), etc. They'd probably need to be stylized, no fine detail.

Maybe even just dots for the other cities and the torch (or boot, or Riverwalk) could mark San Antonio. Again, limited space. If we do go with labels, we could only include a few to cut down on the visual noise.

I don't think we need to tell people it's Texas ... I think most people will get that.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
    -- Vroomfondel
  • rickman33rickman33 Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    One thing to note, we generally stay away from having copyrighted imagery on the coins, or being an advertisement for whatever the cool new game is. I do like that llama though, but maybe there's a way to reference battle royal type games without one specific branding?

I was thinking that, too, but...There is Pac-Man on every coin; We did Zelda last year. Other PAXes have shown Duct Hunt, a Pokéball, etc...
    Or, are you saying that the pic we have is an asset lifted directly from the game or developer?

edited October 2018
    RILMS wrote: »
    Something like this?

5ah2qgqk1ngp.gif

That's pretty much a map of Texas. I personally wouldn't want that on the gaming side of our coin.
    And, if we did a map, why wouldn't we do one of SAN ANTONIO???
    Here's one I pulled off the Interwebz. I think this is something someone would have to take the time to redesign, but I still really don't like the idea of trying to squeeze a bunch of little words onto the face of a coin.

afrhj8nibw25.jpg

The "circle" would be around the area where the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center is...

rickman33 on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    rickman33 wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    One thing to note, we generally stay away from having copyrighted imagery on the coins, or being an advertisement for whatever the cool new game is. I do like that llama though, but maybe there's a way to reference battle royal type games without one specific branding?

I was thinking that, too, but...There is Pac-Man on every coin; We did Zelda last year. Other PAXes have shown Duct Hunt, a Pokéball, etc...
    Or, are you saying that the pic we have is an asset lifted directly from the game or developer?
    You're not wrong, although I feel like NES duck hunt and zelda old man imagery is more a culture reference than an ad for a current game, if that makes sense. Also the old man was giving us pax, so it was some creative license a bit? The pacman is a penny-arcade thing with gabe. The pokeball was part of a crane game of a big pile of stuff. The only one I can think of that was really just one game without anything else to it was the catan from unplugged last year, although while they still sell it, it's not "new" by any stretch of the imagination.

I dunno, I am not trying to take a stand, just seems that Fortnite is a "current craze" and so it feels advertisey even though nobody intends it that way. Maybe even if it had the fortnite llama, the pubg frying pan, and imagery from some other battle royal games, it wouldn't seem the same way to me?

I can get behind limiting the map to just San Antonio. Now we just need someone to do the ACTUAL work :P

khd33hubozxv.png
    How about this? Not too sure how it'll look on a coin now that I think about it...

wa1b5hib5ooy.jpg

Also, I apologize for not being around as often as I have been in the past. I got a new job and moved back to Canada in March and I am still figuring out my work/life balance

OtyHMcu.jpg
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, color coin might be easier to do, but the non-color coin isn't going to look right.

I think we need something other than Battle Royale for the gaming side.

shimwood on
    khd33hubozxv.png
  • StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Hmm if we're set on battle Royale maybe legally generic llama piniata being bashed open with an iron skillet since those are the 2 big ones?

Breaking away from BR games, something featuring Arcades hasn't been done in awhile

grogoo-arcade-console-1388-retro-games-2.jpg

I had also suggested a 1-up previously

OtyHMcu.jpg
    edited November 2018
    We should do hoop & stick for the game side. No one else is likely going to do it, may as well have fun.

shimwood on
    khd33hubozxv.png
  • LadyDeathLadyDeath San AntonioRegistered User regular
    Taco trucks are really popular and have almost become a culture of their own. How about something paying homage to our Taco Trucks?

Again I know we're trying to move away from battle Royale games which is fine with me but I thought of a good not game specific thing what about a care package create with PAX on the side?

Hmm...I kinda like the care package idea. Kinda goes along with last years coin.

Something like this?
    d9e5d9afzbxt.png

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    There is a huge surge in the retro gaming scene with all these classic units. Not sure if there is something there to do with 8 bit or 16 bit gaming, but I feel like there should be. Also, I think it would be cool to put something like the 3 keys from Ready Player One, or the "Easter Egg" (which really applies to all games). Just some random ideas to throw out there.

qbqtLfO.png
    Hmm, I like the idea of an Easter Egg, but how would that be represented?

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I like the idea of an Easter Egg, but how would that be represented?

I've been pondering this myself, and I'm not sure. We could literally put an egg with an 8bit rabbit on it - but that is a bit on the nose. I was also thinking of just putting an egg with something else on it that indicates it is an easter egg. Perhaps a key, or a key hole. Not sure. I was also pondering the text to put and I like the quote "Thank you for playing my game." Any other ideas are welcome. That was just a random train of thought....

qbqtLfO.png
  • MegamaxmaxMegamaxmax Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Perhaps VR? It's been picking up, with new headsets coming out, new games. Perhaps Tycho wearing a headset or something.
    Edit: Or maybe Gabe in psvr, like recent comics.

Megamaxmax on
    I would think that we could use copyrighted images as long as we somehow demonstrate that we are not using the image itself to try to sell coins. For example, we do not market the sale of our challenge coins. We do not seek to make substantial profit to maintain a business from the sale of the challenge coins; perhaps, someone could have paperwork to back this up. The coins are designed by people who have no joint affiliation with any business. We only order one run of coins a year, and we do not reuse any images for any future runs.
    I will attempt to reach out to some license holders to see what they would say about the matter.

edited December 2018
    Just a run of random thoughts:
    Loot crate. I'm not keen on this idea. It will just look like a crate or box unless it is an image of a specific loot crate used in a game. Then again, we run into possible copyright issues.
    San Antonio battle royale map. It would be cool if an artist designed this as a poster. Squished onto the face of a challenge coin?- Not so cool.
    Easter egg. There's no good way to represent this. I'm not a fan of just putting a literal Easter egg on the coin.
    Retro gaming. I like the idea, if we can figure out how to do it. I was thinking just a Space Invader, but here again we run into possible copyright issues. I also thought about the Intellivision "running man" with the recent announcement of the Intellivision Amico, but copyright issues arise here, too. Plus, I doubt if anyone here other than me is as excited or even as interested in the console as I am.
    I like the idea of VR. Just a generic VR headset, as having Gabe or Tycho in VR would be using copyrighted characters.
    If we did "1-UP" it would have to not appear as the Mario 1-UP mushroom, because that is certainly copyrighted.
    I think that as long as we can demonstrate that we are not marketing these coins for sale or selling the coins for profit, the images would fall under fair use.

rickman33 on
    I think that as long as we can demonstrate that we are not marketing these coins for sale or selling the coins for profit, the images would fall under fair use.
    While it is better to stay away from copyright images, it's not a huge deal if we use one. Like last year it had the old man from LoZ on it, not to mention every year has Pacman and Ms Pacman as well. And I'm sure Gabe/Tycho would not care in the least considering it's for their convention.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Just a run of random thoughts:
    Loot crate. I'm not keen on this idea. It will just look like a crate or box unless it is an image of a specific loot crate used in a game. Then again, we run into possible copyright issues.
    San Antonio battle royale map. It would be cool if an artist designed this as a poster. Squished onto the face of a challenge coin?- Not so cool.
    Easter egg. There's no good way to represent this. I'm not a fan of just putting a literal Easter egg on the coin.
    Retro gaming. I like the idea, if we can figure out how to do it. I was thinking just a Space Invader, but here again we run into possible copyright issues. I also thought about the Intellivision "running man" with the recent announcement of the Intellivision Amico, but copyright issues arise here, too. Plus, I doubt if anyone here other than me is as excited or even as interested in the console as I am.
    I like the idea of VR. Just a generic VR headset, as having Gabe or Tycho in VR would be using copyrighted characters.
    If we did "1-UP" it would have to not appear as the Mario 1-UP mushroom, because that is certainly copyrighted.

For retro gaming I think there is few things more iconic than the old Atari 2600 joystick. One stick. One button. And we LOVED it.

Hello! Sorry I haven't been around for a bit. I was busy with American Thanksgiving and PAX Unplugged.

PA art has been used on coins before, but we've always e-mailed Mike about it before hand and I don't think there is enough time to get the go ahead from him.

I don't believe an atari joystick has been done before...so, that could be a neat thing to do.

We are running out of time and I'll need to contact Kiddercorp soon to get the ball rolling on their end

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • The PopeThe Pope Registered User regular
    I like the idea of an Atari joystick ... I hated using them but they're very iconic. Not sure about the other side, maybe just a stylized outline of Texas, or the torch?

We really need some consensus on whatever we pick.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
    -- Vroomfondel
    Could just be a VR headset/controllers. An atari joystick would be neat, but perhaps a bit plain on it's own.
    VR idea
    g450wqwas6rm.png
    Atari
    qgy4zmcx8n4b.png
    qm9ogr6b2h2d.png

Either choice would leave the color side a bit bland. Perhaps an atari game?

What would people think about this idea?

hnli2869u665.png

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Looks good to me.

I approve. Now the hard part: side 2.

khd33hubozxv.png
    Were we not going to go with:
    0j82ubfti731.png

We also talked about it having a ribbed edge, coloured and regular versions, and we had talked about the coin being Black Nickle, Dyeing Black, or Antique Bronze.

I think Dyeing black would be a bit too dark for a regular coin, but either Black Nickle or Antique Bronze would work well.

What do you think?

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Oh yeah, forgot about that :P

khd33hubozxv.png
    Oh I like that. Though not sure if it would fit but in that theme could we do something like the evolution of man but with consoles?

I think Dyeing black would be a bit too dark for a regular coin, but either Black Nickle or Antique Bronze would work well.

I agree, dyeing black would look more like coal, or plastic than an actual coin. Black nickle might be too dark as well, but it might look good for the color version. Help the colors pop out more.

StinkyTurd wrote: »
    Oh I like that. Though not sure if it would fit but in that theme could we do something like the evolution of man but with consoles?

I like the idea, but not sure how many we could get into a coin before they didn't really show up
    Megamaxmax wrote: »
    I agree, dyeing black would look more like coal, or plastic than an actual coin. Black nickle might be too dark as well, but it might look good for the color version. Help the colors pop out more.

We could do black nickle for the colour and antique bronze for the regular one

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Would The Creation of Adam, but with consoles fit better?

khd33hubozxv.png
    shimwood wrote: »
    Would The Creation of Adam, but with consoles fit better?

LOL, I love it and it would go well with the 20th anniversary...but I don't know how it would translate to a coin

OtyHMcu.jpg
    I have sent an e-mail to Kiddercorp with that we have gone over so we can get the ball rolling. With the holiday coming up, it's going to be close to get the coins before PAX...

OtyHMcu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.