As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Well at my 180lb, after faffing around and not focusing very much, I did manage a deadlift of 225, 5x5. I did manage 7 x 225 the other day, which is getting me closer to an average DL estimated 1 rep max of 300lb for my weight, which is par right?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    PSA: doing 10 minutes of lightweight aerobics followed by 10 minutes of foam rolling in front of two squat racks will go a long way towards me hating you.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Just ask them politely if they can move, what's the worst that could happen?

And there's no real par for strength, get as strong as you can get. 2/3/4 plates for bench/squat/deadlift is a reasonable benchmark for "strong for a normal person" but progress is what's important. As long as you're getting stronger you're doing it right.

• David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Well this sucks. I broke my hand at a concert a week ago and have to take a few months off to heal. I just got a 5 plate deadlift too. On the level of 1-small child, how weak am I going to be when I can start working out again?

What kind of broken hand? How casted up are you?

It’s a boxer’s fx, basically the bone under my pinky. My forearm to fingers on the left side are entirely immobilized (and stinky). Did some experimenting and I’m basically down to machines that don’t need me to grip anything. And lots of right-handed curls.

Dead Legend, just wrap my forearm over the bar for squats? How can I modify this and not break myself further?

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Well this sucks. I broke my hand at a concert a week ago and have to take a few months off to heal. I just got a 5 plate deadlift too. On the level of 1-small child, how weak am I going to be when I can start working out again?

What kind of broken hand? How casted up are you?

It’s a boxer’s fx, basically the bone under my pinky. My forearm to fingers on the left side are entirely immobilized (and stinky). Did some experimenting and I’m basically down to machines that don’t need me to grip anything. And lots of right-handed curls.

Dead Legend, just wrap my forearm over the bar for squats? How can I modify this and not break myself further?

Assume a wide grip on the bar and letyour cast rest on top

Or front squat and just cross your arms over the bar

Or find a place that has a safety squat bar

Or just leg press and do glute ham raises until you get your cast off, it’s not the end of the world.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I was gonna say legpress instead of squats as well.

• David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    Thanks you two! I’ll give squats a shot tomorrow!

Thanks you two! I’ll give squats a shot tomorrow!

Start out light obviously and test the waters

A few weeks in a cast isn’t a big deal but no reason to set yourself back recovering from your injury.

Took a week off after the month long squatting ended.

Yesterday went ahead and did reverse hypers for 15’s, HBDL for 5’s,military press and superset chins with ghr’s and I’m a teensy bit sore in my backside

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Hbdl? High bar deadlift?
    E: Hex bar!

Mr. Buttons on
    Yeah...everybody yells at me in the office for using trap bar or hex bar interchangeably

Then you have Sorinex calling it the double handle diamond bar

You’re a madman. It’s obviously a handlebar.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    I got excited because I saw a trap bar at my gym.

Then I remembered last time I saw one it disappeared after a week.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I got excited because I saw a trap bar at my gym.

Then I remembered last time I saw one it disappeared after a week.

Steal the trap bar! Then you'll always know where it is!

First deadlifting session in a month. Program called for 140kgx8x3. However I felt strong so decided to push it (push it real good). Ended up hitting a 5 plate lift (220kg) for a relatively easy single. Did some back of sets and then hit the programmed sets

j07sm06h5fqw.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    Worked up to a 565 box squat that may be an inch off parallel or so. Felt pretty good

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    First deadlifting session in a month. Program called for 140kgx8x3. However I felt strong so decided to push it (push it real good). Ended up hitting a 5 plate lift (220kg) for a relatively easy single. Did some back of sets and then hit the programmed sets

j07sm06h5fqw.jpeg

8.34 metric tonnes, dude that's nearly FOUR Range Rovers!

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    The thread is getting strong!!

The approximate five-month plan is going to be boring linear progression -> linear progression with more rep and lift variation -> weekly periodization with 4x/week power cleans. Get those hips strong and fast before starting my long runs at altitude. We'll see.

edited November 2018
    Week 4 of Coan-Philippi, six triples with 305 and timed 90 second rest periods I'm pretty spent. Not knocked out dead but that was pretty hard. I'm planning to pull over four by the end of the year and that seems realistic, maybe?

Peen on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    ah hm, so i haven't been in here in forever for good reason (it's that i haven't exercised in forever)

but i need to get back on it

part of the reason i booked a snowboarding trip end of jan was now i have to at least get some kind of lifting routine back in for the next 2 months so it's not an abysmal experience

i'll be in here more just for communal accountability and support

poo
    Needed to do some leg work that was easy in my lower back, so decided on box squats. Hit a pretty easy 120kgx10 and 130kgx5 which are PRs.

a8505s0rrxbr.jpeg

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Week 4 of Coan-Philippi, six triples with 305 and timed 90 second rest periods I'm pretty spent. Not knocked out dead but that was pretty hard. I'm planning to pull over four by the end of the year and that seems realistic, maybe?

If you're doing six triples at 305 I bet you have it in the tank for 4 plates.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Well, got through a workout today. Felt like absolute shit, but managed 2 sets of squats, 2 sets of bench and 2 sets of rows. I tried pendlay rows and immediately my back started screaming, so I'm guessing those are just out of my life now. Going to try and do this again tomorrow, maybe add a separate hamstring exercise. Hopefully in a few weeks my body will at least be able to move properly again.

edited December 2018
    Pendlay rows suck anyway, no big loss :P
    Glad you're back, hope it gets better

Back on 5/3/1, just finishing up a first cycle. Figured out that if you do enough volume with BBB and accessories, 5/3/1 actually does have enough volume and is a great program.

Mr. Buttons on
    Got my zercher squat up to a 110 5x5 set today

Daaaaamn

Got my zercher squat up to a 110 5x5 set today

I’m sorry they had to amputate your arms.

As it turns doing 85% triples on bench the day after OHP and back is a bad idea.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    At this point it's more about the fact i gotta like... build up the elbow resistance.

The downside of zerchers is that they make you look like the world's worst junky. I look like I just spend hours smackin my arm trying to pick out a vein but just can't find the place to stab.

I don't even think I could hold 110kg in a zercher squat position, let alone do 5x5

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    What do you do when your gym doesn't have heavy enough dumbbells?

edited December 2018
    Tube wrote: »
    I don't even think I could hold 110kg in a zercher squat position, let alone do 5x5

Ha I continue my reign as worst scientist, i'm stuck on them freedom units, so like half what you're thinking. The hope is to get to maybe get it to 200lbs but that's 6 weeks of uninterrupted progression away

Sleep on
    And the countdown until someone profoundly fucks up either their own shit or their gym's shit trying to imitate that two barbell press has begun...

At this point it's more about the fact i gotta like... build up the elbow resistance.

The downside of zerchers is that they make you look like the world's worst junky. I look like I just spend hours smackin my arm trying to pick out a vein but just can't find the place to stab.

Get some cheap elbow sleeves if you’re that committed to zerchers

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Do what we do for Atlas stones. Shave your forearms and wrap them in athletic tape.

Peen wrote: »
    And the countdown until someone profoundly fucks up either their own shit or their gym's shit trying to imitate that two barbell press has begun...

Yeah somebody's gonna tear a pec...

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    The weights are starting to feel heavy but they're still moving like they're light... lifting is dumb.

edited December 2018
    Methuselah wrote: »
    The weights are starting to feel heavy but they're still moving like they're light... lifting is dumb.

Wait till you outright fail a set and feel like you're all outa gas then come back for two totally clean sets.

Sleep on
    Haha I’m stupid I tweaked my trap doing pull ups

It’s not as bad as the last time

Gym bro got me trying incline bench last night. Definitely feeling that today.

Squats yesterday. Main sets and jokers went well, went for some variations on my BBB sets with mini bands around my knees and ankles. Definitely a way to get some different muscle activation. Feels like I put a couple inches on my hips overnight

This discussion has been closed.