As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Dwarves fall into wells pretty regularly. I try to put stairs within a square or two of the well just in case.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Do you have water onto those grates directly? I remember watching a vid of some goblins getting sucked through grates as a trap.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    The grates are offset between levels. So the water lands on a floor tile and then flows into the next grate.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Is there a barracks that's separated by only one tile from the cistern? Dodging dwarves can quantum tunnel through 1-tile walls.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Is there a barracks that's separated by only one tile from the cistern? Dodging dwarves can quantum tunnel through 1-tile walls.

No barracks set up yet.

Carved out a bunch of stairs, like, a lot of stairs. Dwarves sit in place and continue to drown.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I could probably help you but I don't really understand your diagram

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I just added the wall between the well and the shower hoping it might help, and the wall at the bottom in the hopes that it might help, and also will hold water every time I have to dump the cistern to retrieve bodies.

Level +11m0u9gsz0jce.jpg
    Level 0jzu94nnu8fi1.jpg
    Level -1uzppo33x5gwf.jpg
    Level -4dajnjwkuirv8.jpg

• Options
    If you've got water coming down from a higher Z-level into the room with the well then it's likely some of the water is flowing out into the well and not just down the grates. The current of this water could be pushing dwarves down the well, or they could be dodging/moving away from the water and falling in.

The water we can see adjacent to your well is evidence of this. The wall you've added should stop this as it's now a much longer route to the well from the waterfall.

Remember also that dwarves will drown in any tile that is 7/7 regardless of swimming ability, so if the tile they fall into is 7/7 that would explain why they aren't getting out.

I think as a rule, dwarves can make it 3 tiles to land without any prior swimming skill. If you fill a tile to 3/7 or 4/7 you can actually train your dwarves in swimming by having the waterfall push them down into the mid-depth tile with a functioning ramp to land 3 tiles away.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    Remember also that dwarves will drown in any tile that is 7/7 regardless of swimming ability, so if the tile they fall into is 7/7 that would explain why they aren't getting out.

I think as a rule, dwarves can make it 3 tiles to land without any prior swimming skill. If you fill a tile to 3/7 or 4/7 you can actually train your dwarves in swimming by having the waterfall push them down into the mid-depth tile with a functioning ramp to land 3 tiles away.
    Untrained dwarves start drowning in 7/7, but they can get to stairs if they're with (checks wiki) 20 tiles (but seriously, just make it 3). Trained dwarves don't start drowning unless they're under water (there's water or a lid on top of them) and can hoist themselves out anywhere.

5/7 or 6/7 water is required for safe swimming training. You can do this with a linked pressure plate, or used to anyway.

• Options
    My current fort population is 87. 42 of those are children or babies... What did I do to deserve this? Also, before I got my issues with the well figured out, I had three barons in a yearling fort...

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Can barons be conscripted into the military? Have Noblisse Oblige working for you instead of against you?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but "unfortunately" all my extra nobles fell down my well during testing.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Has anyone had issues with conflicts that don't seem to end? I have a couple dwarves that I think ended up in a fight, that I think still think they are in a fight, and they keep interrupting everyone else with fights?

Edit: I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think I may be having a loyalty cascade happening in my main stairwell. I lost around ~10 dwarves, and it didn't seem to be clearing, so I sent in my military, and I think I've lost another 5 dwarves, and it still hasn't stopped, as far as I can tell.

Edit edit: Make that 40 dead ~dwarves.

Brody on

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with conflicts that don't seem to end? I have a couple dwarves that I think ended up in a fight, that I think still think they are in a fight, and they keep interrupting everyone else with fights?

Edit: I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think I may be having a loyalty cascade happening in my main stairwell. I lost around ~10 dwarves, and it didn't seem to be clearing, so I sent in my military, and I think I've lost another 5 dwarves, and it still hasn't stopped, as far as I can tell.

Edit edit: Make that 40 dead ~dwarves.

Yes this is a situation where the only solution is to build walls to seal the contamination. Otherwise your fortress will fall.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    What causes a loyalty cascade?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I think what happened to me at least, is that Person A killed Person B, so Military 1 kills person A, which marks Military 1 as hostile, so now everyone starts attacking Military 1. Now all of those people are hostile...

Edit: I found a mod to add muskets to my game, because it just makes so much sense to me that dwarves would be all over black powder, but it only comes in ASCII or Meph's tileset, and I was going to try and fit it into another tileset or something. I opened the wiki page for tilesets and just sort of lost focus for a while though, so we'll see what ends up happening.

Brody on

• Options
    Sorry for the doublepost, but does anyone have experiencing adding workshops or similar to the game?

• Options
    What causes a loyalty cascade?

Dwarfs in your fortress get very upset from deaths of fellow residents, especially so when they were killed/attacked by another resident Dwarf. One Dwarf throwing a tantrum and breaking some workshops and punching someone is probably going to tip 1-3 others into near tantrum status and it all goes downhill from there.

Stress for each dwarf is likely rising slowly over time as well, so you get one event that tips a whole portion of your population over the edge into tantrums or depression.

Another real problem is just like in the real world, most Dwarfs do not actually handle seeing dead and mangled bodies particularly well. If you have a small goblin siege and kill them all without losses, you'd still be making a huge mistake in sending your population out to strip the bodies of their weapons etc. because that's like 20x bad thoughts of seeing bloody goblin corpses everywhere.

Few players realise this I think, but you really want to avoid corpses being seen by everyone except the few refuse haulers you have (who ideally should be picked from those with good willpower and resilience), and keep your refuse pile away from any foot traffic areas.

The easiest thing you can do is not skimp on luxuries. Train up that mason and when they pump out masterwork statues, build them around the fort. In all the rooms and halls. The more happy thoughts you can give your population the better. Masterwork furniture is pretty easy to get and you should make use of it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    That last bit is really important. You are probably going to end up with extra dwarfs and having them pump out statues even at lower quality helps. Same with smoothing and engraving the walls and floors. I think the current iteration is not what toady had in mind with regards to the seeing dead bodies. It is harder to counteract seeing even one body then it should be in my opinion.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    It's hard to do because it's hard to manage. Selecting Dwarfs who have item hauling is kind of all or nothing.

I suppose you could set up barrows, and restrict 98% of your Dwarfs to a barrow that is just the interior of your fort, and have the few allowed to deal with corpses free to work outside of that, so only they will go outside to strip dead enemies of their goods.

But it's harder than it needs to be to restrict Dwarfs to not being allowed to leave the fort.

Stress is currently more punishing that intended though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm trying to decide what to do with a couple of weretortoises. Is there a way to exile them? I've seen people refer to this, but I'm unsure how to do it (unless it's a third party tool, which I'm going to skip for now).

There's also some way to send out a dwarf or dwarves to explore or something, right? How does one do that?

• Options
    Military can be sent on missions. I believe this is done from the [c]ivilization screen.

Exile is done through [v] -> [p] -> [e]

• Options
    Hm I wonder if I send them on the eve of a full moon if they'll arrive at a goblin fortress in were-form.

• Options
    There is some travel time involved, and they don't always embark immediately. They also can get stuck in limbo if a squad member hasn't left the screen yet.

• Options
    Do sieges show up waaay later than they used to? It's 253 and I'm ready to test my defenses.

But no goblins.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Do sieges show up waaay later than they used to? It's 253 and I'm ready to test my defenses.

But no goblins.

I think it depends on how close they are and how much wealth you have. You can try sending dwarves to raid your goblin neighbors, and see if you can convince them to fight you.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    depending on your start location you might also be inaccessible to every civilization but the dwarven caravans that show up magically no matter what

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    They're super close and I swear it had "Goblins" on the embark screen, and yet...

eoAIEFm.png

jdarksun on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's a mystery!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Is that dark tower in the swamp actually goblins, or has it been taken over by Dwarves or something? It's right next to mountains, after all.

I don't remember if it's still true, but IIRC it used to be that armies pathed in straight lines and got stuck on mountains and the like. Given that there's maybe up to fourish tiles of mountain between your fort and the tower, depending on the angle, that might be an issue.
    They still need to physically travel these days, though, so it might just be taking a while.

Also, note that IIRC civilizations don't show up on your civilizations screen unless you've interacted with them. Maybe copy the file, abandon the fort to go into Legends (or just do it in DFHack), and check what the status of that tower is?

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Looks like a new Kruggsmash series, this time with a healthy backstory already in place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HX40DXnst8

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I do enjoy watching and/or reading other people play games like Dwarf Fortress, and Kruggsmash is very likable. But in terms of production values and art style, André is kind of on another level. It's in Spanish (which I can understand), but you can turn on the captions to read what he's saying in English. I recommend checking it out, he's up to episode 7 in this series.

https://youtu.be/B1ggwiat7PM?t=200

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Whoa.

Dwarf Fortress now in breathtaking EGA color! I dig it.

(I say this as someone who suffered through the curious era of CGA color)

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Man, returning to a fortress you haven't touched in months is really something. Can't remember anything I was once planning to do here.

Let's see... We have a population of roughly 30 dwarves, and another 30 foreign Bards, Poets and Dancers, whom we can hopefully use as cannon fodder if necessary. Apparently the fortress is on lockdown, with a horde of undead wildlife, goblin corpses, and various body parts crawling around outside. Somehow we have succesfully used magma to melt the permanently frozen brook out in the wilderness and are currently filling our cistern with water.
    x75mdfpbh32q.png
    n6o0g807o784.png
    x25uisskrm6n.png

To deal with the undead menace, it may prove necessary to also cleanse the outside world with magma, although I'm not sure how to do that without turning our only water source into obsidian. So far no water has been discovered in the caverns. Not that it would matter, since the caverns are also infested with undead. Lording over them is Legendumbras the Brilliant, a forgotten beast made of diamond (who is fortunately fairly immobile since his feet are "gone" for some reason).

We have caged dozens of undead, and two necromancers, and are probably planning to try to weaponize them somehow if we ever get attacked by living enemies again.

Many of the dwarves seem more or less traumatized by the recent undead and werezebra attacks. We are also running dangerously low on alcohol. To make matters worse, a dwarven child is in a strange mood, screaming for shells, which our fortress has no access to. Hopefully her parents will be able to cope with her inevitable fate. (edit: well her parents were already dead, so that was a non issue.)

There is also a bizarre minor civil war going on among our visitors. Meng Loritkilrud, visiting Axedwarf and noted Treasure Hunter, keeps attacking the Bards and Dancers in the Tavern, and has already hospitalized two. So far this vicious art critic hasn't attacked any of the resident dwarves, but we have to keep an eye on him. Apparently his personality was adversely affected by getting caught in a snow storm a couple of years before arriving here.

Also one of the Bards was just found dead, completely drained of blood. So we have that to deal with, too.

The situation of Manpaddled thus seems challenging, but there is hope. And I'm not alone with my optimism, as some migrants have just arrived despite the danger. One must wonder how bad they had it in their previous home, if this forsaken land seemed like the better option.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Things are progressing at a snail's pace as tragedy lurks around every corner.

First things first: we have to find the vampire. If we can isolate him properly, he or she might become a valuable worker, as vampires can walk freely among the undead that infest the outside world.

The Justice screen offers no clues to the murder of the Human Bard Nifih Rubrings, who was recently drained of blood. However, we have some recent complaints of Disorderly Conduct in the fortress. The injured parties are... stray geese? We have dozens of complaints from geese? Well, I guess it's good that they're getting involved in the justice system. They do constitute the majority of the fortress population, after all.

Time to do this the hard way and go through everyone's thoughts and personal history. Just on a hunch, we'll start with the newly arrived Axedwarf Meng Loritkilrud, who was engaged in a tavern brawl earlier...

"I feel so tired of everything" he says. Apparently he has become haggard and drawn due to tremendous stress. But what's this...

"He was horrified after seeing the human Nifih Rubrings die."

Saw him die, yet there are no witnesses to the murder? It all makes sense now. The fights in the Tavern weren't about art critique after all. The other visitors must have been trying to defend themselves against the vampire in their midst. Oh well. Since he's a visitor too, and can't be easily controlled, we decided to expel him into the wilderness.
    Bye, Meng. He shouldn't be causing any more troub-

5osvrxsmbqyc.png

What fresh hell is this? As we opened the gates to let Meng and assorted other visitors out of the fortress, they were followed by several dwarves eager to gather assorted socks, caps and mittens, left by previous visitors that had been attacked by the undead. The undead of course were still waiting, and the greedy dwarves were immediately attacked by a small herd of Yak corpses. I realized too late what was happening, and by the time I had everyone inside and the fortress locked down, some fifteen dwarves were dead. In positive news, it seems we managed to catch the entire herd of Yak corpses in cages as they chased after the fleeing dwarves.

Several other dwarves have been injured in the attack. Gonna be tough for them, because we still don't have a water source. It turns out that during winter even magma can't keep the brook from freezing and our overly ambitious cistern needs a LOT more water to be usable. Also our chief medical dwarf died, so we need someone to attempt to keep these people alive. Anyone with suitable skills? Fish Dissector? Close enough, now get down to the hospital and do your best.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Started a new region to play with aquifer Dynamics, the breaching there of, and the concept of an advance team of engineers to prep a site before reclaiming it with artisans-

Which I will rate at: "Still shitty", and "is this cheating? This is definitely cheating. *Cheatcheatcheat*"

-before finally settling in and taking a run at the "20 skilled dwarfs isolated from 180 disposable soldiers" idea. It was going well, until I decided to acquire a water source for my hospital, and a giant cave spider killed virtually everyone in about 10 seconds.

14 dwarves and 10 monster hunters (of questionable pedigree) were survived by 1 straggling fisherdwarf and three kids.

That's a pisser, I said. At least it was fast. *Abandoned*

So then I thought it would be Fun to explore the site with an adventurer, and see if I can't give Shelob what-for while I'm there. Toady has put some considerable work into Adventure mode, but holy crap is traveling any considerable distance a pain in the ass.

In particular, the need to constantly eat and drink.

Adventure mode question: Is there some trick to finding game in the wild?

I can't be bothered to figure out where to buy food, and have had to rely on being attacked by wolves. As I have yet to survive more than a few days, this has proven sufficient, but since the same activity that attracts wolves also seems to attract Fun, it doesn't seem a particularly safe strategy for a long journey.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I did tunnel down through a top level aquifer at embark. I think it only took 3 seasons of micromanagement or so?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I did tunnel down through a top level aquifer at embark. I think it only took 3 seasons of micromanagement or so?

I always drop a plug or go around. I was trying the double-slit method on the wiki since that gives you the freedom to breach anywhere, but they really understate the amount of unsuspending you have to do. If there were something that auto-unsuspended it's pretty great, but manually doing that every few seconds for several months of game time is the worst.

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »

I always drop a plug or go around. I was trying the double-slit method on the wiki since that gives you the freedom to breach anywhere, but they really understate the amount of unsuspending you have to do. If there were something that auto-unsuspended it's pretty great, but manually doing that every few seconds for several months of game time is the worst.

I think you can set this in the ini.

• Options
    the galaxy brain trick is to embark on the border between 2 biomes, one with an aquifer and one without

even if it's just a corner of the site, you will have a free space to dig straight down and then dig over into the aquifer biome where it's considerably easier to navigate/breach from underneath

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.