As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Just got back from MST3K Live with Joel, Jonah and the bots tearing a horrible movie (The Brain) to shreds! It was glorious and really fun to see Joel back in riffing action. It was so good I hope they make an actual episode out of it when the tour is done. It would be an instant classic. If you have the opportunity to go I really recommend it.

30qybm1cnw7c.jpg
    egmtaecjx7ug.jpg

Also, Joel announced the annual Turkey Day live stream will be tomorrow (11/18) since season 12 premiers on Thanksgiving. So, FYI.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really wish they'd make the live shows into episodes, even if it's just footage from the shows and not a completely redone "studio" version. I missed out on the bonus show both times they've come to town, so it'd be nice to see those at least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really wish they'd make the live shows into episodes, even if it's just footage from the shows and not a completely redone "studio" version. I missed out on the bonus show both times they've come to town, so it'd be nice to see those at least.

That's one thing that keeps me going back to RiffTrax. I can get copies of their live shows.

This was a tour so I can see them not wanting to film each one. Although it's easy enough to designate one show as the official record and get that one.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Shhiiiiiiit you missed out.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Joke pacing is much better in these new ones

• Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Boy, the Atlantic Rim movie was rough. How does The Asylum stay in business?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Mac and Me was amazing. Not the movie, that was the horrifying mess I remember, but the jokes were good to great the whole way through.

Gotta go do turkeyday stuff now, but I'll be binging the rest later.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

confusion. i'm 100% serious. they bank on people accidentally buying their films or watching them for sheer schlock value. they know exactly what they're about.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

confusion. i'm 100% serious. they bank on people accidentally buying their films or watching them for sheer schlock value. they know exactly what they're about.

And then MST3K comes along and probably pays for the movie cost in usage fees.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I am so excited to start watching this season but I’ll be on the road for at least 3 hours :(

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Fell asleep late this morning while watching mac and me. Woke up to a horrible conan knockoff it looked like. Wonder how bad the movie will truly be.

• Options
    They did it. They made the perfect riff.
    The countdown in Atlantic Rim. I had to pause it I was laughing so hard. My wife thought I was going to hurt myself.

Only 1203 and the riffs are cutting, timely, and overall great. A real step up from last season and I really loved last season's.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Getting through Mac and Me is going to be difficult. Even with the hilarious riffs this movie makes me legit nauseous. Hell must be populated by whistling aliens.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Good lord the aliens in Mac and Me are hideous looking

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I wanted them to show the Japanese edit of Mac & Me that starts the gunfight at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOuZnmSujt8

Too be honest, the episode kinda stunk until they got to McDonald's and then it got good. People forget that for as known as Paul Rudd & Me is, it's a shit movie with a lot of crap besides the freaky aliens.

And Atlantic Rim feels like it's kind of cheating so far, using Aslyum movies, they're bad on purpose that's not riff worthy. Even if they were able to buy that film license for a buck, go spend it on a soda or something. A Coca Cola, or a delicious McDonald's Big Mac.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm finding Atlantic Rim rather charming in a really stupid, mildly self-aware way.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mac and Me had my brother and I in absolute hysterics. It’s been a long time since either of us have laughed like that.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Wooooow, the end of the The Day Time Ended episode
    Dr. Laurence Erhardt, now that's really digging back to the early days.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Going after Asylum films feels like low hanging fruit. They could do an entire season off of them.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Going after Asylum films feels like low hanging fruit. They could do an entire season off of them.

... and that would be bad because ... ?

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I'm finding Atlantic Rim rather charming in a really stupid, mildly self-aware way.

Every single actor’s performance is designed for a separate and tonally distinct movie.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I think my girlfriend is going to stab me if I keep inserting "PRETTY NIIIIICE" at every opportunity.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I think my girlfriend is going to stab me if I keep inserting "PRETTY NIIIIICE" at every opportunity.

Bang!

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Bang!

Daddy, I want a Coke.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

... and that would be bad because ... ?

They can go after films that aren't deliberately awful?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I didn't think asylum films were deliberately awful. They have deliberately similar titles to Hollywood hits and are bad b movies, but I didn't think they set out to make bad movies. Just low budget knockoffs .

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    I didn't think asylum films were deliberately awful. They have deliberately similar titles to Hollywood hits and are bad b movies, but I didn't think they set out to make bad movies. Just low budget knockoffs .

Excessively low budget knockoffs.

These are people who make Roger Corman proud but unworthy to be hired to work for him.

Muse on that for a few minutes.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Wrong thread.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    God speed, stock footage!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Stuff like Sharknado is intentionally bad. Atlantic Rim is just bad by virtue of coattail riding while being bereft of talent or funding.

• Options
    Stuff like Sharknado is intentionally bad. Atlantic Rim is just bad by virtue of coattail riding while being bereft of talent or funding.

"Ok, so I'm holding him, I'm holding him! I'm like rawwwrrrr, I'm holding his jaws open, then Spitfire comes back around and BAH-BOOM!"

• Options
    Also the pilots were all wearing poorly converted wetsuits.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Dumb dumb dumb

He's really dummmmbbbbb

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm like, 40 minutes into Mac and Me and dang this is a huge step up from last season

And I loved the last season!

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    "Which butt do I put this straw in?" fucking killed me.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Mac and Me got rrrrrreeeeaaaaaaaalllll dark for a second and can't imagine being a kid and watching that.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I wasn’t expecting a Toast of London reference in Abyss Knockoff - I’m so glad I’m now able to get some of the references they make :D

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Luke, thirty years from now, overpossessed fanboys, upset about your character arc will be!

• Options
    I appreciated the film nerd jokes, like name dropping Terrence Malick.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    did they literally leave a trail of straws....