As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    There's that new expansion coming out for Stellaris next month.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    There's that new expansion coming out for Stellaris next month.

Less than two weeks!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There's a planet called Covfefe. Suddenly I am become Darth Malak

Wait, are the devs pro-trump or anti-trump?

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    There's a planet called Covfefe. Suddenly I am become Darth Malak

Wait, are the devs pro-trump or anti-trump?

probably anti, if I had to guess

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    folks who make covfefe jokes are the sorts of people who don't like fascists but also think fascists will just go away if we laugh at them enough

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    folks who make covfefe jokes are the sorts of people who don't like fascists but also think fascists will just go away if we laugh at them enough

or they're blizzard writers who think 3 year old memes are relevant

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    honestly, I think it's nothing more than a stupid throwaway joke... that landed into spikes at the bottom of a waterfall

Miss me? Find me on:

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    There's so many damn system names in Stellaris that are dumb references.

Arrakis, Sanctuary (Niven's Ringworld system), Omicron Persei, a bunch named after Star Wars characters, and Olimar just to name a few

I love Stellaris, I probably start a new campaign at least once a month and just have fun roleplaying space-communist societies that get into grudge matches with slaver civilizations.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Star Citizen
    Most importantly though there is a Lando system.

Also Alderaan can show up as nothing but an asteroid belt.

Aistan on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    honestly, I think it's nothing more than a stupid throwaway joke... that landed into spikes at the bottom of a waterfall

*Mortal Kombat voice* JOKE-ALITY

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    DayZ
    yeah I am pretty certain the Stellaris lead dev is deffo anti-Trump

there's a metric tonne of references to things in system names so yeah it's just a casual throwaway joke

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Hey guys, I need some help. Details in the spoiler.

I am at my wits end trying to figure out what is wrong so I'm putting it out there.

Could you take a look at the store page for game and let me know how it could improve?
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/703100/Parabolus/

PMing me would be best, Best couple bits of feedback gets a key!

Mc zany on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Are you asking for feedback specifically for the store page? Or for the game itself?

What's the issue you're having right now? Just a lack of views/feedback?

Brolo wrote: »
    Are you asking for feedback specifically for the store page? Or for the game itself?

The store page, I was getting plently of views (altough this has dipped now the launch visabilty is ending) but so far hardly anyone is buying, or even downloading the demo. I figure it must be due to the page as the quality of the game has no bearing at this point (only once reviews come in).

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    OnRush is one of next month's PS+ games, hopefully that's the bump that game needs

6F32U1X.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Mr. G wrote: »
    OnRush is one of next month's PS+ games, hopefully that's the bump that game needs

It’s also on Xbox Game Pass, which would hopefully do well for it there

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    i actually bought onrush last month

it's cool! it definitely launched at the wrong price and that's a potentially killer downspiral, but accessibility should help it

it's also pretty depthless tho

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Waypoint has an article up about an indie horror game called "Total Chaos" that was started by the developer as a DOOM 2 mod back when he was a teenager 15 years ago.

Wait, he actually released it and it's still a DOOM 2 mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7IITZDBvqE

It doesn't look like a DOOM 2 mod.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Oh shit

Iconoclasts is one of the December PS Plus games!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

The store page, I was getting plently of views (altough this has dipped now the launch visabilty is ending) but so far hardly anyone is buying, or even downloading the demo. I figure it must be due to the page as the quality of the game has no bearing at this point (only once reviews come in).

I asked some friends to take a look and give some feedback. Neither played the game or demo, this was their impressions from watching the trailers and description of the game based on the store page:
    Demographic - plays some games, female, 33 years old, graphic designer:
    Ummm
    For a space shooter it looks kinda slow
    They need more music because it was the same in each trailer
    Hard to see the space ship against the bg
    Graphics/ color combos look like N64 but high res
    Looks like the controls could be a bit clunky and slow since in one of the trailers the aliens? Ships? Big red things crash right into you
    Yeah it doesn't look very exciting
    Kinda like space invaders at a different angle
    No characters for me to invest in
    The description hints at some story, none of it is in the trailer

Demographic - enthusiast gamer, male, 33, programmer:
    ok so I watched the videos... they seem to cut to new scenes too quickly
    also the videos should more explicitly point out features
    although the game is pretty minimal
    yeah I don't know man... this is not my kind of game at all
    I'm surprised something like this isn't a mobile game
    well what I was expecting to see is an evolution of the gameplay... the basic stuff they show at the beginning, and then evolving to crazy Raiden-esque stuff at the end with strafing, star fox "barrel rolls", and so on

and it looks like there's no strategic depth whatsoever... from the trailers at least and it looks like there's no strategic depth whatsoever... from the trailers at least

edited November 2018
    Thanks for the feedback. Very impressive. I now have an idea of what to do next.

Mc zany on
    Stellaris 2.2 Patch Notes are out

I remain very excited for this update. I've never actually played a multiplayer match of Stellaris, it's something I would like to try out at some point.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    .... Noooo my mods will be outdated :(

Spy Party
    I've been holding off of Stellaris until that patch comes out

figured I'd just wait until the planet mechanics get revamped, because hoo boy that was an asinine part of the game

Miss me? Find me on:

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    A small story that got missed

Eric Barone is ending his relationship with Chucklefish and going forward, Stardew Valley and his next game will be self-published

Both sides say it’s an amicable split, he’s just gotten to the point where he no longer needs a publisher and can handle it himself

6F32U1X.png
    Bit of a slap in the face to Chucklefish, who handled a lot of the non development aspects of the title pretty much from the begining. I guess he realised that his next game was going to be a hit no matter what so he didn't need to pay a publisher anymore.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Finished The Messenger over the weekend. I think I liked it, but what an odd duck of a game (at times). I really would have liked a bit more epilogue too.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Bit of a slap in the face to Chucklefish, who handled a lot of the non development aspects of the title pretty much from the begining. I guess he realised that his next game was going to be a hit no matter what so he didn't need to pay a publisher anymore.

I mean, they got their Stardew Valley money, I think they're plenty happy with it

• existexist Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Finished The Messenger over the weekend. I think I liked it, but what an odd duck of a game (at times). I really would have liked a bit more epilogue too.

Yeah, for me that game was a gentleman’s 6.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Star Citizen
    exist wrote: »

Full spoilers
    It was strongest before it went 'open' world, and I was floundering with it after that point until I grinded out all the map upgrades and bought all the hints. Then it was fine again, albeit with some very hard platforming sections (fuck those ghosts!). I gave up on ever getting all the power seals too. The overall difficulty of the game is wildly all over the place as well.

I'd be interested in a sequel that focuses on the stronger aspects of the gameplay and story telling.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Star Citizen

Full spoilers
    It was strongest before it went 'open' world, and I was floundering with it after that point until I grinded out all the map upgrades and bought all the hints. Then it was fine again, albeit with some very hard platforming sections (fuck those ghosts!). I gave up on ever getting all the power seals too. The overall difficulty of the game is wildly all over the place as well.

I'd be interested in a sequel that focuses on the stronger aspects of the gameplay and story telling.
    You made the right choice on the seals. I spent about 3 hours on the last 2 and the reward was not worth it.

Still got the music stuck in my head from that game. It's a catchy tune.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • existexist Registered User regular

Full spoilers

You made the right choice on the seals. I spent about 3 hours on the last 2 and the reward was not worth it.

Still got the music stuck in my head from that game. It's a catchy tune.

Yep, seals reward sucked. Writing sucked, which is typical of a Devolver Digital published game. Metroidvania design was poorly implemented (almost all the character upgrades are frontloaded in the linear portion of the game, unlike the standard Metroid vania, which made all the backtracking a tedious slog that felt like padding).

Still, music was good, art was good, the twist was neat though fairly overhyped.

UmPiq.png
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Spy Party
    The twist in The Messenger was hyped up as mind blowing so much I thought it was going to be another Oxenfree situation where I'm thinking "no other medium could do this and there's no reason a game shouldn't have done this years ago."

Instead it's just
    Evoland but it goes from Ninja Gaiden III to Super Metroid.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg

Good on her because that soundtrack is easily best of 2018

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    So I know Just Cause 4 is kinda an anti-indie game, being a massive AAA open-world Square-Enix joint, but it has an extremely great and extensive easter egg I never would have expected:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-8aS-jqQg
    You can find the cauldron and pickaxe from Getting Over It, which leads to an actual 2D GOI minigame with narration from Bennett Foddy

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    DayZ
    "I created this easter egg for a specific sort of person. To hurt them."

hahahahahhaha

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    I was just coming to post that. It's fucking crazy how they dropped this out of the blue on Twitter, no buildup or stage show or anything.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Below delayed until 2024

This discussion has been closed.