As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Watcher wrote: »
    That spinny knight is pretty cool, Chrysis! That paint looks smoooooth. Nicely done. I have trouble with colors, and am wondering if that dark color was purple. Is that knight faction/chapter specific?

The colour is purple, but also blue. It's the Cobalt Blue colour shift paint from Green Stuff World. I think having lights from both sides on the light tent is ruining the effect though.

The knight is Legio Xestobiax, Zhao-Arkkad Forge World. Technically it's a Renegade Knight, given they defended Prospero.

Here are some Screamers and a Shaman. The colour shift effect on the Screamers and Disc is much more pronounced in person.
    https://imgur.com/yH3RvWM

Here's two Russians and their designated Wardriver.
    https://imgur.com/m2ZogL0

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    I've been loathe to pick up a brush much, but did paint these chaps a while back.

Ga7UPPH.jpg

And started some goblins more recently.

s14KcbS.jpg

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    And I get to immediately follow up J's great photos with some very boring WIP shots. Everybody gets to see our kitchen because it's the only place I can get even lighting this evening. :P
    xz75njf0ipua.jpg
    34slce5box5r.jpg
    Feels good to be making progress. Despite my much earlier post, I'm still suffering from a crisis of commitment to a particular colour scheme. I know roughly what I want to do, but ... We'll see ...

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Where are those spaceship from, @ArcticLancer ?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple
    Dropfleet Commander.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    sflcot0kb9jd.jpg

Built myself a prince moranion for blood bowl.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I see he brought his plainest helmet so it wouldn't get in the way when playing ball :P

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I see he brought his plainest helmet so it wouldn't get in the way when playing ball :P

In a pinch they can use it as goalposts.

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    And I get to immediately follow up J's great photos with some very boring WIP shots. Everybody gets to see our kitchen because it's the only place I can get even lighting this evening. :P
    xz75njf0ipua.jpg
    34slce5box5r.jpg
    Feels good to be making progress. Despite my much earlier post, I'm still suffering from a crisis of commitment to a particular colour scheme. I know roughly what I want to do, but ... We'll see ...

Oh boy, I need me some of those!

TO GOOGLE!

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Purple
    Dropfleet is incredibly well produced and it would be amazing to see what you could do with the line. Sadly, about the only real community support it has these days is through the facebook group, but you can still find some really nice conversions and work from people in the past when the game first came out. Despite a true rough patch as Hawk immediately outgrew their capacity to support their stuff, TTCombat has helped see a bunch of new releases, so there's great selection of models at this point~

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular

How else would a high elf, a dragon prince no less, show who's the real "star" player on the field?

Dropfleet is incredibly well produced and it would be amazing to see what you could do with the line. Sadly, about the only real community support it has these days is through the facebook group, but you can still find some really nice conversions and work from people in the past when the game first came out. Despite a true rough patch as Hawk immediately outgrew their capacity to support their stuff, TTCombat has helped see a bunch of new releases, so there's great selection of models at this point~

I'd love to paint a one-off model, one of the more angular factions rather than the organic looking stuff. Something to look forward to!

Meanwhile the transfer sheet for my Shadowsword was completely knackered, the transfers themselves falling to pieces when I slid them off the sheet. Thankfully GW consumer service is of its usual great quality and they've dispatched a replacement set.

While I wait, I've just finished sub-assembling a Khorne Lord of Skulls:

qp7gcnacit5m.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Purple
    J wrote: »
    I've been loathe to pick up a brush much, but did paint these chaps a while back.

And started some goblins more recently.

s14KcbS.jpg

Those night gobbos are exactly what I want Night Goblins to look like. Mmmmmmmm.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The hulk is done! (Except for the base) Other pics in the spoiler

orq5zt0qexod.jpg
    ahbrzefdnb6e.jpg
    v1bgc40q8svf.jpg
    be3p4wzlvh0o.jpg

Please let the hulk know that I think he looks beautiful.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    That fishy loincloth

So sassy

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    Ds_fXw3U8AAbF4e.jpg
    Slaaneshi Cultist for Necromunda/40k/KT

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I kind of want to use one of the Sisters of Slaughter head for a unique look for my dark eldar succubus
    Just the lack of a neck and I wanted hair but could not get the one I wanted leave this project still in my head

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    WIP genestealer cultists. Using this liquitex burnt sienna ink for all the browns and it’s really nice stuff. I’m not gonna have a single primary color for all the cloth, gonna focus on them being rag-tag insurgents and have a mix of greens/purples/blues.
    q0yWoui.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I think after what is probably 17 different revisions over the last 17 years I think I've finally gotten Imperial Fist yellow down to a point I'm happy with.
    IGE75n3.jpg

edited November 2018
    Almost there! Halfway through the oil washes, then I'll add further weathering, pigments and paint the lights before adding a coat of matt varnish

(Sorry for the shine, decals and oils are way easier to use on gloss surfaces)

bqcfswh7ch24.jpg

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Hot damn that's slick

Yes but it will be much less slick when he’s applied a matte varnish.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I kind of want to use one of the Sisters of Slaughter head for a unique look for my dark eldar succubus
    Just the lack of a neck and I wanted hair but could not get the one I wanted leave this project still in my head

I bought a pack originally to make hekatrix bloodbrides, but I haven’t gotten to it either. Maybe we can share ideas.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Finished up my T’au list ready for this weekends tournament. Few little touches here and there but I’m calling it done for now.

dMu3tTa.jpg
    NYnuqfE.jpg
    jqWDfEt.jpg
    YXjHmPT.jpg
    MwK44CR.jpg
    NxvNla8.jpg

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Every time I see a T'au unit or army posted it makes me want to start collecting yet another army. Such cool looking models.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Purple
    T'au is one of my favorite aesthetics in the game. They were my fourth edition army before I left the hobby for a while (back in the Devilfish screening days). I'm all in on my Space Marines/Imperial Knights right now, but some day in the distance future I may build another T'au army.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Purple
    This is just sort of a random note on airbrushes since the typical talk you'll hear is that the 105 is the gold standard for entry-level, and the 20/20 is incredible for detail work.
    I've been futzing around with my Omni the last week while working on Dropfleet stuff, and it's genuinely been a joy to use. The actual design of the airbrush is a bit strange, which I'd say makes it a bit less beginner friendly than the 105, but it seems like a perfect step up in that it gives you more control and a bit finer detail than a 105~ It might not be the easiest justification at full price, but I think it'll actually be the brush I do the most work with. 105 is excellent for putting down primer, first pass highlights, and base coats on bigger models, and then the Omni does most of the work in between that and super fine details with the 20/20. But heck, you could get away with a lot of that as brushwork anyway, so it's just a good compliment overall.
    I did grab the Omni 5000 which has the small cup, and I actually rather like it this way since I rarely work with THAT much paint anyway, so it's a bit easier to clean and slightly lighter (I don't know how noticeable it is overall, but factually it would be lighter :P ) than the 4000.

Anyway, airbrushes are great. That's really it.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    DtZY2RQUUAUBK4S.jpg
    Almost finished flamer cultist in the middle. Not sure about his hair though. Lavender purple to match the other cultists, or something brighter?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Brighter!

Donesies.

3z87mceafxva.jpg

dgtpge616ltc.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
    Dayspring wrote: »
    DtZY2RQUUAUBK4S.jpg
    Almost finished flamer cultist in the middle. Not sure about his hair though. Lavender purple to match the other cultists, or something brighter?

JRVa440.png

Purple
    It’s weird now that when I look at a still image of anime I think there should be more edge highlighting.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Got a bit of a backlog dump here, some new stuff, some repaints/reshoots.

I've been playing some more shooty lists, and needed a cheap foot lord to command backfield units. This beefcake was chopped together form various AoS and 40k chaos characters.
    chaos_footlord01.jpg

chaos_footlord_turn.gif

Chaos lord also needed a weedy wizard lacky to throw buffs around. The cool skull helmet was carved off the DV CSM champion, and was sitting in my bitsbox for years, but was always too small for actual marines.
    chaos_footsorcerer01.jpg

chaos_sorcerer_turn.gif

Speaking of DV marines, I converted a bunch of the oddball champions into bolter boys a long time ago. Here's some repaints of a couple of them.
    chaos_marines01.jpg

Heres a trio of hig honkin gatling guns that are quad-heavybolter Rapier battery. The treads are from some Manic kits I think. My bolter marines usually end up crewing the things.
    chaos_reaper01.jpg

chaos_reaper_turn.gif

Repaints of my skittery Bloodslaughterer duo. Legs are from some russian mech miniatures.
    chaos_slaughterer01.jpg

chaos_slaugheterer_turn.gif

Repaint and rearm of my Cycloptic hellbrute.
    chaos_dreadnought02.jpg

chaos_dreadnought02_turn.gif

Repaint of my favorite Defiler stalktalk.
    chaos_defiler01.jpg

chaos_defiler_turn.gif

Repaint of my Laser Vindicator.
    chaos_vindicator01.jpg

chaos_vindicator_turn.gif

website_header.jpg
    Purple
    Not that your whole post isn't full of awesome, but man I'm floored by the Bloodslaughterers in particular.

Purple
    Making your own gifs in and of itself leads me to believe you are some kind of wizard.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    @McGibs they are crazy good! I love it when people get creative with kitbashing, your efforts have really paid off the the paint jobs are wonderful to boot!

3EnCIQg.jpg
    edited December 2018
    Finished another 6 genestealer cultists, got a full Kill Team! now to do the other 100 guys to use them in 40k.
    TroFncU.jpg

Badablack on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I need some advice. I got these painted up weeks ago but I'm not sure where to go now with highlights or anything. I'm gonna varnish them this weekend and paint the cloth around the armor black and highlight with greys but for the armor itself I'm at a loss.

D7K85TB.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
This discussion has been closed.