As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Pilotable mechs? Living ships!?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ah, right on.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    https://www.nomanssky.com/2018/10/development-update-6/

New update is up. Community event is a simple A to B trek while avoiding Sentinels (although I didn't realise they were a problem until I read the link), I just built a summoning station and was done in minutes.

Also, said link has a survey for feedback on the future of the game, if you're interested.

• Options
    New Update Announced, coming "next week"

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    They've already started datamining it.

It sounds like by Abyss they are talking about oceans.

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Datamining#Underwater
    There appears to be a submarine

OOOH, and references to altering Starship visuals

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    cool!

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    That underwater swimming animation is the dopiest thing I've seen in a long time, but man, check out the tight butt on that space traveling entity.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Mucked around with the new update a bit. You'll want, among other things, a bunch of buried modules for the base stuff, as well as Glass, Pure Ferrite, Salt and the new green crystals that you can find multiple of around heat vents. The submarine platform goes on top of a room, and weirdly enough doesn't come with the engine installed or fuelled, it took me a bit to realise what was going on. Next time I'm on I'm going to see about other blueprints for the sub and start doing a (heh) deep dive.

Also, is anyone else finding that the terrain manipulator is acting weird? I'm on a regular Xbox and it's suddenly really delayed with the terrain destruction, and I've nearly fallen into the world a couple of times when I'm using it.

• Options
    Forgot about this week's challenge due to all the other bullshit going on in real life. Have about 14 hours left to finish up the option stuff and man does it suck. You're just giving a planet type and told to take a photo of underwater creatures, and you have to do this ten times. So it's basically cruising around the galaxy looking for the right planet type, and then hoping there are water critters on it when you find it. This is gonna take forever.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You know what I don't like about the underwater base stuff? You can't have them poking even a little bit outside of the water, which means I can't connect the underwater shit with above water shit unless I have a square building piece partially visually flooded with water to connect up.

Also, the big underwater base parts can only be placed on the seabed and they don't level out the seabed terrain so you get the ugly terrain clipping through. Why they don't just level the terrain like when you're placing building parts on dry land, I don't know.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Trailer for the next update got leaked, it's unlisted but on the official Hello Games YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoBOFTi-zAk

Looks like it's a ton of new plaentary stuff to add a bunch more variety. Seems neat, even if it's not super-big or anything.

• Options
    Man, they've really stepped up their content game this year.

• Options
    Man, they've really stepped up their content game this year.

i feel like they reached the spot where the systems matched the original vision, so now focusing on expanding content is a simple afair. if you go back and look at murray's statements, even week 1 back in 2016, he was adamant that freighters, base building and improved cloud tech were still in the pipeline. and considering how barebones the story was in 1.00, i'm sure they always intended for something more like artemis's questline at launch. along with the emerging demand for multiplayer, they had a lot on their plate. it seems to be clean now, so it's an exciting time for the game's direction.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    So if they're corrupted Sentinel Drones that means they'll be nice, right?

Right.

• Options
    full update details here

freighter variety, archaeology and creature bones, atmospheric diversity and crashed freighter improvements all seem cool! this stuff is more up my alley than the abyss was

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know how widespread the biome change stuff is, but my underwater base got changed to red water and grass, which I don't like. I may just end up uprooting it and finding somewhere else, but I haven't visited my original base because of concerns that the same thing happened there.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I named my base planet "Cyan Paradise" because it was a paradise world that was a lovely shade of light blue. I picked it specifically because it of the combination of weather and nice mellow coloration. Sometimes I just took the vehicles out for a spin and enjoyed looking for knowledge stones in the blue hills while listening to podcasts, getting my relaxation on which I need once in a while.

It's still a paradise world, but now it's brown and dull and gloomy looking. The name is a lie, I can't change it, and if I wanted to look at a lot of gloomy brownness I would just go outside right now and see late November. I'm pretty annoyed at this change.

But at least there's a new shared community event thing right now, I guess.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    For some reason, every time I leave my base now, I come back to find my front door has deleted itself.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I need to reinstall this game

if I did drugs, I would also do a bunch of drugs before playing it

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Also while playing it is good

• Options
    tip since the latest update:

anomaly planets and their new whacked fauna make zoology milestones easy

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    tip since the latest update:

anomaly planets and their new whacked fauna make zoology milestones easy

I was about to come in here and mention this. I got 4 in an hour and it only took that long because I went ahead and landed on every planet in each system I went to. Thank God they finally took pity on us.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    haha holy shit this fan video is awesome

can't wait to show my son in the morning

https://youtu.be/jCwZdlC1FvU

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I was just thinking I wanted to play some No Man’s Sky again

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    perhaps the clock is ticking on this version of the universe...

content update?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    murray's gdc presentation this year was really good:

https://youtu.be/ewq203-TXOs

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So is it worth it to restart the game here? I kind of dropped off a long time ago.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I picked this up again with the big content update a while ago on the PS4, started a new game, and then put it down when it became clear everything I'd named was being renamed back to the default and was unchangeable because the servers were never, ever up. The feeling of seeing fifty odd planets I'd renamed slowly disappear back into Theta-Konigsberg IV type names sapped my will to play.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So is it worth it to restart the game here? I kind of dropped off a long time ago.

yeah. there was a big tech overhaul anyway so a lot of your stuff may be non-functional. you've got parallel save slots now so there's no reason not to start a new game and see how you go.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    i was recently thinking about getting a ps camera for streaming/vodcasting, and reflecting that it doesn't cost that much more to go for the full VR set-up. this makes the decision pretty easy

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options

well maybe if you spent less time constructing scathing critiques of the modern videogame industry in a series of perfectly tweetable emojis, sean, and more time getting your shit done, there wouldn't be a problem, huh

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    i'm so excited for VR. i really hope that they can bring back a little more of the planet-side diversity, because if i can relive something like that wonder of the game's first incarnation in virtual reality i think i'm going to openly weep.

into the electronics of the PSVR.

breaking it.

(the mechanic is the message...?)

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I just want wildlife that doesn’t either amble aimlessly around or go full Oblivion STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM at me on sight

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I just want wildlife that doesn’t either amble aimlessly around or go full Oblivion STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM at me on sight

Well if you would just stop being criminal scum, they wouldn't have to do that!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I want creature AI with more complex behavior and variations in behavior.

• Options
    there have been some improvements to animal behaviour. next brought in herd movement and far more realistic predatory interactions between fauna species. no trampled trees or landing birds yet but it's getting there

i'd sacrifice any changes to fauna for work on the flora, anyway. it has far more of an impact on the identity of the landscapes. even just reversing the unforgivable decision to have all not-dead planets abundant would be enough

sC4Q4nq.jpg