As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MST3K] We got movie sign...on November 22, 2018

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I can't think of him or anyone else in that movie as gruff when the eye patch guy was the human embodiment of a gruff voice

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The guy with the eye patch?

Edit: oh no you mean the admiral. Oscar nominated actor Graham Greene

He was in Maverick! The only Mel Gibson movie I enjoy

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    graham greene's voice is far too ridiculous to refer to as gruff to me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Graham Greene, above all else, just sounds old

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    He was a regular in the Red Green Show you philistines!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

yeah i'm not eighty years old tho

6vjsgrerts6r.png

wait red green was made in the nineties

6vjsgrerts6r.png

edited November 2018
    no sorry i cannot absorb this information willingly

wait shit i was thinking about red buttons

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »

I was like 4 or 6 years old at the time and I sincerely believed for years that my my dad and I were the only humans who had watched this strange, strange movie.
    As I am in a wheelchair, my Dad took me to see it in theaters. I remember being excited.

:(.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    no sorry i cannot absorb this information willingly

wait shit i was thinking about red buttons

Push the button, Kringle.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    wait red green was made in the nineties

The show ended in 2006. It was on for 15 years!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    He was a regular in the Red Green Show you philistines!

That's why he looked so familiar!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

i went on a journey there

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i went on a journey there

I was waiting for you to also mix it up with the Tom Green show

BLM - ACAB
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    vkrpq3ydxlpb.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt are used a lot better on this season

They felt kinda perfunctory before but now they're regularly my favorite part of the inbetween segments

6F32U1X.png
    edited November 2018
    I still don't much care about the host segments at all
    The invention exchange is like anti-comedy to me, and was even in the Joel Hodgson days

Grey Ghost on
    Mr. G wrote: »

They felt kinda perfunctory before but now they're regularly my favorite part of the inbetween segments

admittedly I've only seen the first two, but they still seem creepy. Like awkward 'I wish they weren't on the screen anymore' creepy. Unlike Dr. F and TV's Frank who were creepy, but kind of dumb cheesy creepy

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Day seems way too hammy, which is saying something for this show, but I think Oswalt saves it most of the time.

the host segments are the best part of mst3k for me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I just don't like the invention exchanges, I like the other kinds of host segments

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Have they done Ator before? I swear I’ve seen it (or a real close copy), and I doubt I’d have watched it through if it weren’t on mst3k.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Ator showed up on Rifttrax.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Cave Dwellers is the sequel to Ator and showed up in an earlier season.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    Xaquin wrote: »

admittedly I've only seen the first two, but they still seem creepy. Like awkward 'I wish they weren't on the screen anymore' creepy. Unlike Dr. F and TV's Frank who were creepy, but kind of dumb cheesy creepy

I think the modern aesthetic gets in the way of the show's style a bit. Like Trace and Frank's weirdness and even hokey stuff like the invention exchange are part and parcel with the public access television aesthetic of the original show. The higher production values of the Netflix version makes the polished-yet-intentionally-kitschy vibe of the performances seem out-of-place and offputting. Sort of a set-dressing uncanny valley of sorts.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I don't know why they still do the invention exchange, that seems like a thing you need Joel Hodgson for

I don't THINK they did it in the Mike Nelson episodes, but maybe I've somehow missed all the ones of his they did it in

6F32U1X.png
    I don't know why they still do the invention exchange, that seems like a thing you need Joel Hodgson for

I don't THINK they did it in the Mike Nelson episodes, but maybe I've somehow missed all the ones of his they did it in

When Mike first started they did, but I think they quickly realized it wasn't a good fit for Mike because they dropped it pretty quickly.

I'd guess it's back since Joel is significantly involved with the show again

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Joel loves prop comedy, and I think it's garbage, and that's okay

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Joel loves prop comedy, and I think it's GUTTER BUMBER CHUTE! GUTTER BUMBER CHUTE! GUTTER BUMBER CHUTE! , and that's okay

Prop comedy doesn't usually land for me but every once in a while they strike gold, like Johnny Longtorso or this season's SPEZ, which is the perfect mix of bizarre and disgusting to be really funny to me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

The dream squisher and the Isle of Misfit Toys episode was gold

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I miss the dutch angles they used to use for the Mads

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Joel really likes building stuff too.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I love the host segments historically and in the new show at present

Annnd although I have been meh on the invention exchanges in the new show I like Day and Oswalt! And Synthia as well this go-round

I don't love these new bots though.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Growler in particular seems like "Legally Distinct from Dr. Teeth-bot".

astrobstrd wrote: »

I thought he was specifically Rolf.

astrobstrd wrote: »

I thought he was specifically Rolf.

Maybe. They both have the exact same voice and play the piano/organ.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    "She's NOT your sister."

"In fact, no one is! You can marry all of us!" is probably my favourite riff of the new season.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    "She's NOT your sister."

"In fact, no one is! You can marry all of us!" is probably my favourite riff of the new season.

Oh God, did they do Ator?

They did!!

cdci44qazyo3.gif