As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It does.
    It was not covered. It seems to be a you don't know unless you ask situation. Or someone tells you and Mab is big on learning on your own it seems.

She doesn't know she's taking the kids until she consults Winter Law. Then she knows. So if she just studied for a bit I suppose she'd learn all kids of useful and horrible things.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So I finished my read-through Went faster than I was expecting, maybe faster than my first read through?

Miscellaneous thoughts (Full Series Spoilers):
    • Proven Guilty seems like one big time travelling plot hook. There's a fun little tease on time travelling in Skin Game, too.
    • There's no way Michael doesn't know Molly is the Winter Lady after the end of Skin Game
    • I feel like Molly as an antagonist for at least one novel is in the cards
    • I have to feel like the Red Court and White Council were both set up (by the Black Council and by extension Nemesis?)
    • Mavra definitely is going to show up in some capacity, probably as an ally (especially since she has the Word of Kemmler!)
    • What role did Mab in mind for Molly instead of Winter Lady? Something to do with Summer is implied.
    • Is there an equivalent of Lea in the Summer court?
    • I feel like we definitely don't have the story on what is actually going on with the Fallen v White God
    • Does Dresden's new kid get a name modelled after Bob, Lash, or neither/other?
    • The Fomor sure seem like a probable cats paw for the Outsiders/Nemisis. For the extent to which they have figured in the backgrounds of everyone lives (except Harry's) for the last few years, I'm guessing they'll be prominent in at least one other book going forward (Peace Talks seems like a promising title for that)
    • I feel like there's definitely going to be some elaboration on the connection between Hecate/the Queens. Feels like a big plot hook! Not reallly sure why the statues were in his vault, or if they were supposed to reference specific missing statues of hecate.
    • If Odin's running around doing so much shit, Thor and Loki have to be around somewhere getting up to shenanigans. It wouldn't surprise me if we've run into Loki at some point without knowing it
    • MacAnally is going to turn out to be magical John Wick or something, apparently.
    • The Black Council stuff is kind of at a weird juncture. There were a couple of books (Proven Guilty and Changes) which really got into the politics, and we haven't heard zip for years at this point.
    • I would not be surprised if it turns out Demonreach isn't actually in Lake Michigan. Or rather, isn't only there
    • Lea is totally Dresden's mom, guys. The truth is out there!
    • Nick must have picked up something other than the grail, in the vault. I know Dresden speculates he was after the knife (if this is supposed to be another Christian relic, what would that be?), but it seems like it would be incredibly easy for him to have picked something else up.
    • After reading Butter's side story, I honestly have to agree with Sanya's theological stance, here.
    • So, what was under the glacier Molly was visiting? That seems like it could definitely be a Thing
    • If the CPD has a section for monsters and such, the US government probably does too...

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    So I finished my read-through Went faster than I was expecting, maybe faster than my first read through?

• Proven Guilty seems like one big time travelling plot hook. There's a fun little tease on time travelling in Skin Game, too.
    • There's no way Michael doesn't know Molly is the Winter Lady after the end of Skin Game
    • I feel like Molly as an antagonist for at least one novel is in the books
    • I have to feel like the Red Court and White Council were both set up (by the Black Council and by extension Nemesis?)
    • Mavra definitely is going to show up in some capacity, probably as an ally (especially since she has the Word of Kemmler!)
    • What role did Mab in mind for Molly instead of Winter Lady? Something to do with Summer is implied.
    • I feel like we definitely don't have the story on what is actually going on with the Fallen v White God
    • The Fomor sure seem like a probable cats paw for the Outsiders/Nemisis. For the extent to which they have figured in the backgrounds of everyone lives (except Harry's) for the last few years, I'm guessing they'll be prominent in at least one other book going forward (Peace Talks seems like a promising title for that)
    • I feel like there's definitely going to be some elaboration on the connection between Hecate/the Queens. Feels like a big plot hook! Not reallly sure why the statues were in his vault, or if they were supposed to reference specific missing statues of hecate.
    • If Odin's running around doing so much shit, Thor and Loki have to be around somewhere getting up to shenanigans. It wouldn't surprise me if we've run into Loki at some point without knowing it
    • MacAnally is going to turn out to be magical John Wick or something, apparently.
    • The Black Council stuff is kind of at a weird juncture. There were a couple of books (Proven Guilty and Changes) which really got into the politics, and we haven't heard zip for years at this point.
    • I would not be surprised if it turns out Demonreach isn't actually in Lake Michigan. Or rather, isn't only there
    • Nick must have picked up something other than the grail, in the vault. I know Dresden speculates he was after the knife (if this is supposed to be another Christian relic, what would that be?), but it seems like it would be incredibly easy for him to have picked something else up.
    • After reading Butter's side story, I honestly have to agree with Sanya's theological stance, here.

re; The knife from Skin Game
    I think that general consensus is that it's not a knife, but the head of the Spear of Longinus.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Ah okay that makes way more sense.

That also uhhhh... huh
    Yeah no wonder Nick would want that

Given what Hades says, I have to wonder if it isn't actually a relic much older than a couple thousand years

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular

• So, what was under the glacier Molly was visiting? That seems like it could definitely be a Thing
    • If the CPD has a section for monsters and such, the US government probably does too...

Why do you say that?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Huh, Anduriel and Mab:
    What exactly did Anduriel do for Mab? Given what we learned in Skin game, it could have been spying of some sort.

...huh, I guess it's never explicitly stated that it was Lasciel that was whispering to Harry after his back was broken. It wouldn't hugely surprise me if Mab tried to tip the scales, there.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Heir wrote: »

Why do you say that?
    Because he sees the statue of Molly as the Winter Lady in Hades vault. He asks Dresden about it! Dresden suuure doesn't do a good job explaining it away.

It's possible he doesn't put two and two together, but given the talk he and Dresden have earlier in the book, it would not surprise me at all if he figured it out.

Oh, also! Unrelated note but Molly
    totally met Dresden's subconscious! That... would be one hell of a conversation.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Up to Changes on my re-read.

I've noticed the Wizard healing-factor seems to be a bit inconsistent.

In Dead Beats, Butters mentions that he thinks Wizards live so long because their cells repair themselves perfectly. He points out the fact that a bullet wound in Harry's hip healed completely without any evidence of scarring.

Yet in later novels Harry's still described as being all scarred up from much more superficial injures that happened several books (i.e. years) ago.

RT800 on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

In Dead Beats, Butters mentions that he thinks Wizards live so long because their cells repair themselves perfectly. He points out the fact that a bullet wound in Harry's hip healed completely without any evidence of scarring.

Yet in later novels Harry's still described as being all scarred up from much more superficial injures that happened several books (i.e. years) ago.

Maybe just takes more time depending on a variety of factors?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    kime wrote: »

Eh,
    It's a cool little scene where Luccio and Dresden are comparing battle-scars and Luccio comments that Dresden has more scars than other wizards that're centuries older.

I think it's likely that Butcher just forgot that Wizards technically shouldn't have any scars, especially old ones.

I can imagine that some scars take much longer to heal than others. For instance, Dresden's hand was burnt to a crisp, so it's conceivable that it would take years for it to fully regenerate.

But if he can fully heal a bullet wound to the hip in just one year, flesh wounds from knives/claws/teeth should be gone in a matter of months.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Eh,
    It's a cool little scene where Luccio and Dresden are comparing battle-scars and Luccio comments that Dresden has more scars than other wizards that're centuries older.

I think it's likely that Butcher just forgot that Wizards technically shouldn't have any scars, especially old ones.

I can imagine that some scars take much longer to heal than others. For instance, Dresden's hand was burnt to a crisp, so it's conceivable that it would take years for it to fully regenerate.

But if he can fully heal a bullet wound to the hip in just one year, flesh wounds from knives/claws/teeth should be gone in a matter of months.
    Yeah but Dresden gets messed up as a pretty common occurrence. Like sure this claw wound goes away, but there's two fresh ones over there.

• Options
    The other possibility is that Butters is wrong just like he is with the mantle.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Or the magic healing is smart enough to know when to stop healing to leave you with bad ass scars.

Edit:
    but more seriously, it seems likely that the healing would tend to prioritize those wounds that would impair the wizard in their day to day duties. The bullet to the hip, the burnt hand, most of the other serious wounds, those are going to be strong impairments to Dresden being able to do Dresden things, so they get to move to the top of the list. The assorted accumulations of scar tissue? Not so much. They go to the bottom of the to-do list, and with Harry, that list keeps growing from the top. Sure, if Harry would kick back and go on vacation for a year or two to someplace warm (without uncovering a supernatural scheme to end the world that has to be Dresden'd) he'd probably be restored to near mint condition. But he doesn't do that (can't do that, won't do that), so more and more injuries keep getting added to the top of the list and the minor scars keep getting pushed down. Wizards with more experience (and centuries of investments and compound interest in the bank and beach houses on deserted islands or secluded beaches) probably do take the time out which could explain why the don't have the accumulation of scars, in addition to Harry's habit of seeking out trouble and getting in just over his head.

Of course, that's all down to author fiat. I'd guess Butcher probably doesn't want to write a novel where Harry is laid up in bed for the entire time because he's been too busted up to get out of traction, or that quiet vacation novel I imagined earlier (though, I imagine he'd be more than willing to write a chapter or two about the assorted women in Dresden's life and their beachwear), so those crippling injuries get more or less magicked away mostly between novels while the battle scars stick around.

see317 on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Huh, Anduriel and Mab:
    What exactly did Anduriel do for Mab? Given what we learned in Skin game, it could have been spying of some sort.

...huh, I guess it's never explicitly stated that it was Lasciel that was whispering to Harry after his back was broken. It wouldn't hugely surprise me if Mab tried to tip the scales, there.
    The Denarians are rather explicitly tied to the coins and their holders. It's what allows them to influence the world in more concrete ways then others of their ilk, while also leaving them dependent on a mortal that can be killed or even have an attack of conscience, leaving them trapped and helpless. Also the Knights of the Swords (or whatever is on their business cards) are listed as the 'official' balance to the actions of the Denarians, and it was Uriel who stepped in to balance out that specific act. So with all that I'd say that there's nothing tricky there regarding who was whispering to Harry. A Denarian likely wouldn't have the ability nor would Uriel been allowed to step in if they did, and Mab is a worse boss than Darth Vader, but there's no real upside for her to be influencing Harry in that way. Plus it again leaves the issue that Mab interfering would not be breaking the rules in a way that would allow Uriel to step in.

And the Summer and Winter power structures seem to mirror each other, so Lea is a mantel then there's probably a summer equivalent to her. If she isn't, there might still be someone in a similar position in the Summer Court. Though I'm not exactly sure what Lea's job even is. She just seems to be really powerful and does whatever she feels like. Rather unlike the four manteled positions that we know of.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Eh,

Also it's important to remember context.
    That point of the series they have each been involved as front line troops in a magical war. Dresden especially has had a hellacious decade for his body. He can't even say "At least it didn't kill me" anymore.

Luccio is weird as she's no longer in a real wizard body, at least not her original model.

Basically there is enough wiggle room for each of them to avoid too much of the magic wizard healing bit.

Random aside: Was it only me that got the implication that Lash was helping heal his hand?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular

Eh,

Also it's important to remember context.

Random aside:
    Was it only me that got the implication that Lash was helping heal his hand?

I don't recall it specifically, but
    since he was playing guitar as physical therapy, and Lash played beautiful guitar music through his hands as a special one time gift, it's perfectly reasonable to speculate.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Huh, Anduriel and Mab:

The Denarians are rather explicitly tied to the coins and their holders. It's what allows them to influence the world in more concrete ways then others of their ilk, while also leaving them dependent on a mortal that can be killed or even have an attack of conscience, leaving them trapped and helpless. Also the Knights of the Swords (or whatever is on their business cards) are listed as the 'official' balance to the actions of the Denarians, and it was Uriel who stepped in to balance out that specific act. So with all that I'd say that there's nothing tricky there regarding who was whispering to Harry. A Denarian likely wouldn't have the ability nor would Uriel been allowed to step in if they did, and Mab is a worse boss than Darth Vader, but there's no real upside for her to be influencing Harry in that way. Plus it again leaves the issue that Mab interfering would not be breaking the rules in a way that would allow Uriel to step in.

And the Summer and Winter power structures seem to mirror each other, so Lea is a mantel then there's probably a summer equivalent to her. If she isn't, there might still be someone in a similar position in the Summer Court. Though I'm not exactly sure what Lea's job even is. She just seems to be really powerful and does whatever she feels like. Rather unlike the four manteled positions that we know of.

Well, we know that
    Kringle

Is a mantle too and he kinda does whatever too

Re: lash
    I believe that lash does say something to harry about being able to heal is hand. Can't remember if it was a hypothetical if he took up the coin, or something she actually just did

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    draft

I wonder if
    Loki was actually just another wearer of the chaos mantle that I've been theorizing Dresden now bears. Wasn't Loki supposed to be responsible for Ragnarok? This would somewhat explain the interest Odin takes in Dresden.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Mantles, Fae, Gods, etc.
    So, it's implied in Skin Game that Hecate == Faerie Queens

With the way that the mantles seem to work with mortals, that either means that Hecate is an exception to the way (most) gods work, is not actually Hecate, but perhaps cohabiting the entities also associated with Hecate (or something), or all (most) of the gods are mortals with mantles

Harry, destiny, etc.
    So, Goodman Grey at the end of Skin Game talks about how Harry has inherited his mother's legacy, whether he likes it or not. I have to suspect that that is something much most specific than a generality. It could just be his starborn thing or whatever, but there's probably something else in play, too

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mantles, Fae, Gods, etc.

With the way that the mantles seem to work with mortals, that either means that Hecate is an exception to the way (most) gods work, is not actually Hecate, but perhaps cohabiting the entities also associated with Hecate (or something), or all (most) of the gods are mortals with mantles
    Nah, I think a lot of you are trying to make everything a mantle without evidence.

We only know the Queens and Knights for sure. Archive functions a lot like one but hasn't been called that.

Gods are entities born of and powered by belief. If they were all mantles then the Oblivion War wouldn't work.

Kringle isn't a mantle, it's a role played for that sweet sweet belief juice.

We do know there's a lot of overlap between Fae and gods, but that could be because the fae emd up worshipped easily - Harry indentifies the Winter Mother by multiple other personas for instance, while Odin seems to play the role of Fae to supplement his waning power from faith basically?

Hecate is probably just an example of fae worship, or the result of humans conflating the Queens amd so creating a new entity from belief.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Mantles, Fae, Gods, etc.

Nah, I think a lot of you are trying to make everything a mantle without evidence.

We only know the Queens and Knights for sure. Archive functions a lot like one but hasn't been called that.

Gods are entities born of and powered by belief. If they were all mantles then the Oblivion War wouldn't work.

We do know there's a lot of overlap between Fae and gods, but that could be because the fae emd up worshipped easily - Harry indentifies the Winter Mother by multiple other personas for instance, while Odin seems to play the role of Fae to supplement his waning power from faith basically?

Hecate is probably just an example of fae worship, or the result of humans conflating the Queens amd so creating a new entity from belief.
    There's also some weird implications on that. Is Kringle able to lie? Or is he only bound when acting as Kringle?

Odin/Kringle implies some things about the way immortality and mantles works in Cold Days, but they aren't explicitly connected.

Also, I think it's worthwhile to also step back and say that Odin may not always be the most reliable conveyor of information.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Mantles, Fae, Gods, etc.

There's also some weird implications on that. Is Kringle able to lie? Or is he only bound when acting as Kringle?

Odin/Kringle implies some things about the way immortality and mantles works in Cold Days, but they aren't explicitly connected.

Also, I think it's worthwhile to also step back and say that Odin may not always be the most reliable conveyor of information.

Kringle:
    In Dresdenverse I have to assume that he owns quite a bit of Coca-Cola stock and was influential in their holiday marketing plans.

• Options
    Huh, apparently there is a Holy Ascension of Our Lord Cathedral in Unalaska, Alaska

The more you know

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    WACriminal wrote: »
    draft

I wonder if
    Loki was actually just another wearer of the chaos mantle that I've been theorizing Dresden now bears. Wasn't Loki supposed to be responsible for Ragnarok? This would somewhat explain the interest Odin takes in Dresden.
    So, uh...this just flipped a switch in my brain after (unrelated series spoiler)
    God of War had 'Faye' be Laufey, mother of Loki
    but hmm who do we know with a name also suspiciously close to that? One Margaret LaFey?

Like obviously that's not the reference he was probably going for at the time, but boy if it couldn't be a retroactive "Why not both?" one.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »
    draft

I wonder if
    So, uh...this just flipped a switch in my brain after (unrelated series spoiler)
    God of War had 'Faye' be Laufey, mother of Loki
    but hmm who do we know with a name also suspiciously close to that? One Margaret LaFey?

Like obviously that's not the reference he was probably going for at the time, but boy if it couldn't be a retroactive "Why not both?" one.

Alternatively, maybe he was planning something along those lines the whole time, and is now pissed that it's been snaked out from under him by a massively popular work of fiction now, about 20 years later.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    This many posts and no new book? What the hell guys.

Frankiedarling on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Just make this the thread title already

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Just make this the thread title already

@Mazzyx

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Normally don’t get my hopes up but this was ALOT of posts.

• Options
    My secondary motivation for rereading the series was to torment people with notificatuons on.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Our second born is arriving in two weeks. I have all the books downloaded across several devices. So I hope to reread all of these over the next several months.

Only problem is that I already kind of just skim books when I read, so I miss a lot of details. Add on sleep deprivation and...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »
    Our second born is arriving in two weeks. I have all the books downloaded across several devices. So I hope to reread all of these over the next several months.

Only problem is that I already kind of just skim books when I read, so I miss a lot of details. Add on sleep deprivation and...

Read them out loud to the baby

Steam profile
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Changed the title slightly.

Also I read Brief Cases finally. It was good. But its been a while so I also started re-reading skin game. Forgot a lot about the book including the base story. My brain I think leaves off at Cold Days for some reason. Though I have read Skin Game before.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    OP was three years ago, and given that we've covered 22 pages of posts since then, who wants to bet on the number of pages we cover before Peace Talks drops?

Keep in mind whatever the tv series they're working on could end up affecting the post rate

I'm gonna guess we'll be on page 38 by then

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    OP was three years ago, and given that we've covered 22 pages of posts since then, who wants to bet on the number of pages we cover before Peace Talks drops?

Keep in mind whatever the tv series they're working on could end up affecting the post rate

I'm gonna guess we'll be on page 38 by then

I don't know about anybody else but I just flashbacked hard to the Song of Ice and Fire thread.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've been working through my re-read and was hoping to finish off my hardcover collection.

Imagine my dismay to see that books two through six (Fool Moon. Grave Peril. Summer Knight. Death Masks. Blood Rites) are each hundreds of dollars on eBay and Amazon, when the fuck did that happen?

Any tips or tricks to help me finish my collection without spending a mortgage payment?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Used book store and get lucky? Friend willing to part with them? Library and a reasonable donation? :P

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I've been working through my re-read and was hoping to finish off my hardcover collection.

Imagine my dismay to see that books two through six (Fool Moon. Grave Peril. Summer Knight. Death Masks. Blood Rites) are each hundreds of dollars on eBay and Amazon, when the fuck did that happen?

Any tips or tricks to help me finish my collection without spending a mortgage payment?

cheap ereader maybe? Since you are posting on an electronic device you could even buy the kindle versions and use the read.amazon.com or kindle reader for a phone/site.

Pailryder on
  • Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

cheap ereader maybe? Since you are posting on an electronic device you could even buy the kindle versions and use the read.amazon.com or kindle reader for a phone/site.

MegaMan specifically asked for hardcovers, is the thing.

Otherwise the e-versions are great, yeah.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Did they even originally make hardcovers of the early ones? I'm guessing they must have been a limited reprint, which is why they're selling for so much.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1