As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If they're planning a High Rock game it needed to come out two years ago to play off peak Game of Thrones. People may actually be tired of generic medieval fantasy by the time it comes out, since it got such a shot in the arm recently.

They could focus on southern High Rock, around Orsinium. Then you get a mix of Bretons and Orcs as the prominent races.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Look at some of the perk point mods. There is a file that they can install which is a text override file and not a mod pak. Find it in your system and change the values

wbBv3fj.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, that looks like thats what happened. I have an old SPERG file, but its not actually installed. Can ESP's be text edited?

Bleh. I think I may try and just right down my skills, burn this save to the ground, and start over with a fresh save.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Are you using Skyrim community uncapper? SPERG installed alongside that will halve perk point progression by default for balance purposes.

I feel like I had those installed at some point, but I thought I had removed them.

Skyrim community uncapper has instructions for uninstallation that you may have missed. From the nexusmods page:
    Delete SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.dll and SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini from your "<Skyrim installation folder>DATASKSEPlugins"
    ( by default "C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppscommonskyrimDATASKSEPlugins" )
    And then delete this SKSE_Elys_Uncapper_README.txt.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yeah, that looks like thats what happened. I have an old SPERG file, but its not actually installed. Can ESP's be text edited?

Bleh. I think I may try and just right down my skills, burn this save to the ground, and start over with a fresh save.

Its not an ESP. It will be in the Uncapper INI above. You can reset everything to normal values there or delete the DLL and INI. Both will operate independently of installed ESP's

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »

Its not an ESP. It will be in the Uncapper INI above. You can reset everything to normal values there or delete the DLL and INI. Both will operate independently of installed ESP's

I'll try that. Otherwise it looks like I can convert dragon souls to perks through deadly dragon's, and it's trivial to add dragon souls through the console.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    If they're planning a High Rock game it needed to come out two years ago to play off peak Game of Thrones. People may actually be tired of generic medieval fantasy by the time it comes out, since it got such a shot in the arm recently.

They could focus on southern High Rock, around Orsinium. Then you get a mix of Bretons and Orcs as the prominent races.
    Orsinium is in eastern Hammerfell in the 4th era, next to the border to Skyrim. The previous Orsinium got razed. Again.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    What if they did something like this:

Vanilla Game: Includes Southern High Rock and Northern Hammerfell
    Included Cities: Daggerfall, Camlorn, Wayrest, Evermor, Sentinel, Skaven, Dragonstar, Elhinir

DLC 1: Includes Northern High Rock
    Included Cities: Pharnhelm, Northpoint, Farrun, Tehanna

DLC 2: Includes Southern Hamerfell
    Included Cities: Hegathe, Gilane, Taneth, Rihad

Granted, this is a bit more ambitious than Bethesda has historically been with their DLCs.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Honestly I give no fucks where they set the next Elder Scrolls game; it's more about what they do with the setting than what the setting is for me.

The main thing that changes is which jail I gotta break out of this time.

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Yeah I care a lot less about which cities I'll be walking to, and a LOT more about whether they'll have more than 20 people in them.

edited September 2018
    Honestly I give no fucks where they set the next Elder Scrolls game; it's more about what they do with the setting than what the setting is for me.

The main thing that changes is which jail I gotta break out of this time.

Fun fact: The crazy lore accounts for you always starting a prisoner of some sort. That it is in fact necessary even.

Polaritie on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Could you give a summary of that lore? Just finding a lot of people asking why and shrugs.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    Could you give a summary of that lore? Just finding a lot of people asking why and shrugs.

I think the specific bit I'm thinking of may have been unofficial commentary by one of the writers, actually. If you think the stuff in-game is crazy...

The issue with trying to pin down one reason is that TES lore specifically avoids ever having one reason for anything.

They saw it as super useful for a plot starting point. You had a history, but now you've been released/escaped execution, and you have a chance to start a new life. You could have any skill, and you can go anywhere/do anything.

There is also a suggestion, which probably started as lore musings by a bunch of people who smoked too much weed while readings Vivec's 36 sermons, that the Hero in each game is them self a "mantling" of the mythological Hero, who started his journey as a prisoner.

"Mantling" is one of the ways in lore to become a god, and involves taking on the aspect of an existing god to become/replace them.

edited September 2018
    The issue with trying to pin down one reason is that TES lore specifically avoids ever having one reason for anything.

They saw it as super useful for a plot starting point. You had a history, but now you've been released/escaped execution, and you have a chance to start a new life. You could have any skill, and you can go anywhere/do anything.

There is also a suggestion, which probably started as lore musings by a bunch of people who smoked too much weed while readings Vivec's 36 sermons, that the Hero in each game is them self a "mantling" of the mythological Hero, who started his journey as a prisoner.

"Mantling" is one of the ways in lore to become a god, and involves taking on the aspect of an existing god to become/replace them.

Well, the hero in each game is generally considered to be acting to fulfill a prophecy of the Elder Scrolls, which means they are in the metaphysical role and can actually affect the world more than other mortals can (or perhaps it goes the other way around)

Polaritie on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So because I'm insane, I started playing SSE again with a fresh playthrough. But decided to go hog-wild with modding structure, so looked around. Settled on this thing:

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:DarkladyLexy/Lexys_LOTD_SE

Please note that most of my previous modding experience had been "click link on Nexus, click install." It's....a bit daunting to get into but looks to be worth it.

So that was super fucking educational, took forever, and it's quite neat. Also looks amazing and has a number of gameplay changes things which I'm going to mention that might interest others in terms of coming back and checking out. Here's some of the noteworthy stuff, beyond the typical "here's graphics things which make it look nice".
    • Experience/levelling decoupled from skills - probably making the biggest difference for me so far. Levelling your skills doesn't increase your character level, but rather exploring (finding new places), killing enemies/clearing dungeons, and completing quests do. Individual skills are capped by your character level, and perks can only be applied based off of skill level. This dovetails heavily into some of the stuff I'll mention later.
    • SkyUI/ExtendedUI/moreHUD/etc - not linking, but there's a BUNCH of these things from Oldrim that have been ported now.
    • Immersive College of Winterhold - Don't have a ton to say on this right now, but it was only added to SSE in May, and seemingly fixes a number of the problems with the college that I had. It spaces stuff out so the quests have time to breathe. There's classes that students attend (and you can too, and level skills), etc
    • The Brotherhood of Old - another new mod, almost out of beta. 24 more quests after finishing The Dark Brotherhood, involving rebuilding the faction. Haven't gotten to this yet, but it seems quite well received.
    • Legacy of the Dragonborn - I've mentioned this before, but mentioning it again. Love this museum (and the link above is built around it so there's a fuckton of other stuff added)
    • OMEGA - this is the biggun. It's designed to be a modular "change the core gameplay" platform. Basically picks and chooses from a bunch of other stuff, allowing them to be togglable. Read the mod page for the details, but it basically completely gets rid of the "enemies level with you" thing, makes certain areas/dungeons keyed to specific level difficulty, completely cleans up loot drops/rarity to where powerful stuff is only FOUND in those places (provided you don't have other stuff installed overriding it), improves enemy AI and combat (so they have perks, etc too), cleans up the powerful "clutter" you can find (so ebony stuff is actually...you know....rare), only orcs have orish/elves have elvish/etc. This, combined with the XP thing above, has completely changed how the game plays for me, and (since I'm playing with iNeed and Frostfall and not using an encumbrance booster) has made me start using things like carriages to get around and what have you. There's other "adjust loot" stuff later in the loading list, but covering it here.
    • Similarly, there's other enemy mods that tie into this (Know Your Enemy and such) which makes combat more interesting.
    • Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul - Way too much to get into detail here. There's a BUNCH of stuff changed here, and it allows you to do alchemy in other places with mortar and pestle, but not as good as at an alchemy station.

Also there's like 10 billion other things which are all small tweaks on the above, and the list is still being curated/updated (there's a Trello linked at the top where you can check what other people are testing out).

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Good timing on the thread bump, I am about to get my second Skyrim platinum trophy (PS4) and third completion. Even after all these years, and even though I know I am just going through it for the trophies, I still hoard everything. The little details are still great, and the annoyances minimal enough for me to overlook. Since fallout 76 is definitely not my cup of tea I hope ES6 gets here soon.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Elder Scrolls thread!

Please help me find this thing I remember from Oblivion. I can't find it anywhere on various wikis and it's just something that was memorable to me and I forget the context, whether it was a quest or just a wilderness encounter of some sort.

It wasn't from a mod, I think it was in the base game.

A lady along the road says "help, traveler! I dropped my <something> in the pool over there, could you please go get it for me?" And if you go get it, as you turn your back on her she attacks you, and also had a nearly-invisible henchman waiting nearby who also attacks.

The fun thing was, if you looked very carefully you could spot her henchman ahead of time, and get the jump on them before they attacked you. I think he has like 80%-90% chameleon on him.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I'm fairly certain that it's in Morrowind.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    That was in Morrowind. Finding that damn ring was one of the most frustrating things in the game.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Elder Scrolls thread!

Please help me find this thing I remember from Oblivion. I can't find it anywhere on various wikis and it's just something that was memorable to me and I forget the context, whether it was a quest or just a wilderness encounter of some sort.

It wasn't from a mod, I think it was in the base game.

A lady along the road says "help, traveler! I dropped my <something> in the pool over there, could you please go get it for me?" And if you go get it, as you turn your back on her she attacks you, and also had a nearly-invisible henchman waiting nearby who also attacks.

The fun thing was, if you looked very carefully you could spot her henchman ahead of time, and get the jump on them before they attacked you. I think he has like 80%-90% chameleon on him.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Dunno about Oblivion, but this was definitely a thing in Morrowind.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Good work, everyone.

edited January 2019
    Oh man you're right! Thanks!

I felt like I remembered her talking to me out loud so the thought didn't occur to me.

And maybe partly because I associate the chameleon effect more with Oblivion for some reason.

I think that was one of the items I would always beeline to in order to steal good gear from Ghostgate early on.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Good timing on the thread bump, I am about to get my second Skyrim platinum trophy (PS4) and third completion. Even after all these years, and even though I know I am just going through it for the trophies, I still hoard everything. The little details are still great, and the annoyances minimal enough for me to overlook. Since fallout 76 is definitely not my cup of tea I hope ES6 gets here soon.

Have you tried ESO? Pretty sure the PS4 base version is on sale right now for $10. The base version also includes the Morrowind expansion by default, I believe and also the Summerset expansion is on sale for $15. It's basically your standard TES game, but with MMO style combat. Exlporation and stumbling upon quests is still a thing though. Other players will always be around unfortunately (or maybe not, if you like that sort of thing) but they are easily ignorable and the whole game is playable without the need to group up in most cases.

Took me a minute to warm-up to it, but I'm to the point where I hope TESVI is like ESO except single player.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Yeah ESO is awesome. Quests often have choices to make with different outcomes too, like any other Elder Scrolls game. Doesn't affect much in practice, but then, it doesn't necessarily affect much in the main games either. Choose if someone who did something horrible should die on the spot or be sent back to face justice, that sort of thing.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Hey, if you decide to pick up ESO, poke us/me in the thread! I haven't logged on in forever (dammit, Warframe), but our guild(s) can hook you up with stuff.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I guess the big rumor floating about is that Bethesda is now rushing development on TESVI to get it out quicker because of the poor reception of Fallout 76. I really hope that isn't true... As much as I want to play a new Elder Scrolls, if there's one developer you don't want rushing a game, it's Bethesda D:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I guess the big rumor floating about is that Bethesda is now rushing development on TESVI to get it out quicker because of the poor reception of Fallout 76. I really hope that isn't true... As much as I want to play a new Elder Scrolls, if there's one developer you don't want rushing a game, it's Bethesda D:

That's not a rumor, that's an ill-conceived guess from an analyst.

Bethesda's "main" studio right now is working on Starfield. The same guys who did every numbered ES and fallout. All their money and bets are on this new IP selling big. If anything gets pushed up to make money, it will be that.

ES VI was announced last year as in "pre-production". I.E. its basically just concept art and maybe some engine or world prototypes. It won't get a significant team until they finish up Starfield and start moving people over. You're looking at several years at that point for what is definitely a PS5 era game. Its well outside the window of recovering from last year's flop.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah, Starfield is their next big thing.

... a thing I am redonkulously hype for. <3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am ambivalent on starfield because after Fallout 76 I am not sure Bethesda knows what they are doing anymore. I might pick it up if I see enough gameplay footage post launch. Bethesda has currently removed themselves from my list of developers I will buy from sight unseen.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Almost everything about 76 was them trying new things and then failing spectacularly at them. Starfield apparently being a more traditional one of their games i'm a bit more optimistic about it.

Of course if they fuck that formula up then yeah I guess they had a good(?) run.

Yeah, I dunno. I probably have around 150 hours in Fallout 76 so far and no regrets. Leaving aside the dumb PR moves that have nothing to do with the game itself (canvas bag, ferinstance), the game is fine. Sure, it should have released as Early Access/open beta and cooked a bit more to sort out a few minor wrinkles, but it's shaping up nicely, has been perfectly playable since day 1, and it's a crapload of fun. ;) In all that time, I haven't encountered any gamestopping bugs, and only a handful of minor ones on the order of clipping terrain, a randomly flying robot, etc. I haven't been booted/disconnected from a server in at least a month, and the game never crashes during play (but admittedly locks up on exit every single time). It's certainly no less stable or more buggy than Skyrim, for instance.

As always, your mileage may vary. If you experience any unpleasant side effects, please see a doctor. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. Batteries not included.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Nukes stopped working because the real life year rolled over to 2019 and that fucked up the code.

People can have fun with 76, sure. I got no problem with that, there's fun to be found pretty much everywhere. But what's undeniable is that they were staggeringly incompetent in putting the product together. And then even moreso with all the marketing around it.

Aistan wrote: »
    Nukes stopped working because the real life year rolled over to 2019 and that fucked up the code.

People can have fun with 76, sure. I got no problem with that, there's fun to be found pretty much everywhere. But what's undeniable is that they were staggeringly incompetent in putting the product together. And then even moreso with all the marketing around it.

Nahhhhh...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Well they certainly can't have intended for these things around the game to have happened. Either the developers didn't notice (unlikely), or the money people ignored the warnings from the dev team and released it anyway (more likely). Maybe the latter could be considered not incompetent since they knew they'd make a ton of money in the short term and be gone with a fat paycheck before the fallout (heh) hit, but that would then make it malicious.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I just can't get over how wrong nameplates look in the Fallout aesthetic.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    76 was a "lesser" team that had their original project cancelled, and given bad multiplayer tools (creation engine) and two years to make this. Starfield meanwhile had at least four years, more than most games get at this point. It might fall short but unless they go all No Man's Sky or something, I doubt its going to be a dumpster fire.

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think most of the mechanics/systems in Skyrim were merely passable at best. Combat was always shallow, crafting and stealth and the like were always quickly broken, and I ended up maxing almost every skill in the 200+ hours it takes to near-100% the game. There's a million mods out there to tweak these things but I couldn't care less. I'm in Skyrim to explore the world, soak up the quests and conversations, and have no interest in returning without some completely new content like Enderal. That's the exact kind of thing Fallout 76 extirpated from their game by design, and what you are left with afterwards is the typical Bethesda jank that most people gladly put up with when there was actual content it supported.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    76 was a "lesser" team that had their original project cancelled, and given bad multiplayer tools (creation engine) and two years to make this. Starfield meanwhile had at least four years, more than most games get at this point. It might fall short but unless they go all No Man's Sky or something, I doubt its going to be a dumpster fire.

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think most of the mechanics/systems in Skyrim were merely passable at best. Combat was always shallow, crafting and stealth and the like were always quickly broken, and I ended up maxing almost every skill in the 200+ hours it takes to near-100% the game. There's a million mods out there to tweak these things but I couldn't care less. I'm in Skyrim to explore the world, soak up the quests and conversations, and have no interest in returning without some completely new content like Enderal. That's the exact kind of thing Fallout 76 extirpated from their game by design, and what you are left with afterwards is the typical Bethesda jank.

It's an unpopular opinion but I think that's because Skyrim was such a step above Oblivion that the bar wasn't super high for most of us. We just wanted Oblivion but prettier and better.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think most of the mechanics/systems in Skyrim were merely passable at best. Combat was always shallow, crafting and stealth and the like were always quickly broken, and I ended up maxing almost every skill in the 200+ hours it takes to near-100% the game. There's a million mods out there to tweak these things but I couldn't care less. I'm in Skyrim to explore the world, soak up the quests and conversations, and have no interest in returning without some completely new content like Enderal. That's the exact kind of thing Fallout 76 extirpated from their game by design, and what you are left with afterwards is the typical Bethesda jank that most people gladly put up with when there was actual content it supported.

One of the reasons I look forward to Starfield is that a sci-fi setting lets them hide their shallow melee combat with shooting mechanics they've shown they can do at least decently. I still worry about other systems and writing but that's one aspect of the experience that should be better than Skyrim.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited January 2019
    I just fucking love space. And Bethesda open world games. Starfield is my peanut butter cup of video games. I've been asking for it since before Starfield even had a name to be rumored about.

If they fuck it up I will never forgive them.

Aistan on