As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Good news: I fixed the draft from the garage by pulling on the weather stripped a little bit so that it actually meets the door. Efficiency!

Bad news: While doing the same to the back door, I tried to discover why that door sticks at the top. Turns out the screws for the top hinge are stripped out, so the door is only supported by two hinges.

What's the play here? Put wood filler in the screw holes and reuse them? Relocate the hinge entirely?

Drill new holes through the hinge plate in different spots, and put screws in those.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    My uncle called me last night at 10pm to tell me he would be over this morning to do my basement. I then scrambled to move the Christmas stuff and recyclables from the basement and get my house in a presentable state before bed time.

I am very excited to get my basement renovated. It is so nasty down there now. Plus he's installing insulation and repairing a hole that allows critters to get inside and may cause pipes to freeze.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i bought a couple cheapy little smart plugs and hooked them up to my christmas lights so i can schedule them and smart plugs are extremely neat.

also grouped them in google home so i can tell my house to turn off/on the christmas lights and then it does and that's not easier than doing it with the phone but it feels like the future.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We put all of our lights up again this year and we put some on a small tree in our front yard. We came back from running some errands yesterday and found one of the strands cut and figured it was some butthole kids and got a little mad, but when we woke up this morning the other string was all chewed up and it became clear that it was squirrels. I've defended squirrels from some criticism, my father in law is fond of calling them tree rats, but this is just indefensible. Consider our squirrels on notice, little buttholes.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't know why I still allow myself to be surprised by this house but here we go. Today my dad and I spent about 4 hours making two pillars straight

The ante-loft in this space is held up by 4 pillars around the outside which are integrated with the uprights for the rest of the roof. Those are fine because they're already studded out and even if they're out of true it doesn't matter because everything is out of true so it all looks straight by association. However, there's two that are just straight pillars in empty space that are two back to back 5x2 joists resting on another 5x2 on the floor which presumably spreads the load across the floor beam instead of having the weight concentrated on one 4x10 inch spot

So, not being able to cut down the bottom horizontal beam and not wanting to stub my toe on something every time I walked past the pillar I thought I could just box it in by throwing up some wood on either side. Except. When you look at them, these pillars are basically a Z. They're about 30° out of true to the vertical on every axis. So if I put a vertical beam from one corner of the horizontal it would cross to the other corner when it reached the top

It took so long because we basically had to box these whole things in so at least every side was vertical and the sides lined up so we wouldn't have to warp the plasterboard around

I just need to stop trying to kid myself that I can get more than one thing done in a day with the surprises that this place throws at me

I'm still not even finished, as I'll have to spend this week's lunches putting the noggings in to sturdy it all up. I was hoping to make the remaining door frames this week but I guess I'll have to push things back another week

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm not going to use Google, I'm just going to imagine what "noggings" could mean and giggle at the more outlandish answers.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It's when you coat your lumber in 2 or 3 kinds of liquor, egg yolks, and spices

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm not going to use Google, I'm just going to imagine what "noggings" could mean and giggle at the more outlandish answers.

It's a word I first heard the joiner use when he was putting in the stud-work around the new staircase. The horizontal pieces between the studs that are there for rigidity and for something to screw plasterboard into are "noggings"

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Good news: I fixed the draft from the garage by pulling on the weather stripped a little bit so that it actually meets the door. Efficiency!

Bad news: While doing the same to the back door, I tried to discover why that door sticks at the top. Turns out the screws for the top hinge are stripped out, so the door is only supported by two hinges.

What's the play here? Put wood filler in the screw holes and reuse them? Relocate the hinge entirely?

Drill new holes through the hinge plate in different spots, and put screws in those.

What are you supposed to do when you have a door strike plate that has been moved so many times that there appears to be no safe place to drill new holes? I dread the possibility of having to replace a whole door frame.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »

What are you supposed to do when you have a door strike plate that has been moved so many times that there appears to be no safe place to drill new holes? I dread the possibility of having to replace a whole door frame.

You should be able to sink some 3" screws into the jack stud that the frame is anchored to

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    We saved and saved for a big home renovation - cutting the wall that separates the kitchen from the living room in half and building a little breakfast bar, with cabinets above.

Today was the big day, deposit all paid, and I watched from the home security camera as they covered everything in plastic and started taking the wall down. Then they stopped.

Then they packed up.

And I just got a text that they found for some reason a huge A/C duct runs up that wall, and they don't have the space to move it elsewhere, so they're cancelling the project.

We are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bummed.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    maaaaan =(

edit: they didn't check that?!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    maaaaan =(

edit: they didn't check that?!

When they came at first I pointed out there was a heat vent at the base of that wall, but way to the right of where we wanted the cut out and he was like "yeah that should be fine". I'm still at work so Im not really clear on what changed between now and then.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    the couch i just bought during black friday is now 700 dollars cheaper. i don't even have it yet.

i am very cross. 100% going to return it entirely out of spite if they don't price match me. that's stupid.

edit: lol yep, they won't price match it but i get a 60 day return policy. i could just return my couch when it eventually decides to show up and buy another one and get the price i want while forcing them to pay for the free shipping two more times.

they can go fuck themselves though, what hot fucking garbage.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    So I had a leaky toilet; thinking on it now, it was probably just the seat in the well that was not completely sealed. Regardless, the toilet would refill every couple hours constantly. I started to replace all the hardware and had the wing nuts snap off. So I decided to just buy a new toilet. Cleaned out the hole, filled in a gap there with some silicone, and plopped in the new toilet.

Less water per flush, it's slightly off balance (so I need to get some shims), the old water valve leaks at 100% open and the tubing connection doesn't fit as well as I'd like it to (it has a rubber piece that acts like a seal, and the new toilet has one too, so that two or just smashing into each other. So I guess I'm getting a couple more things at lowes.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Black Friday has kind of been turning more and more into that kind of scam, where they have an "incredible deal!" that is actually terrible and consumers get boned. I say go for the maximally spiteful option you possibly can.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I put up plastic over all the windows in the sunroom yesterday and to the cats' credit it took them almost four hours to put a hole in one of them.

• Options
    yep, order canceled. finally got through after waiting on hold for over an hour and they said they can't do anything.

so fuck it. hopefully they can successfully reroute the couch pieces away from here so i literally never have to see them, blind with rage atm.

the deal i got during black friday was a slight deal over their standard prices, i just didn't think they would then have a deal that made me go from saving like 150 dollars to almost 800 dollars a week later. why on fucking earth would you do that while also having a return policy like this. are you just hoping people will be so hard up for a couch that they clearly waited until it went on sale to buy that they'll eat the hundreds of dollars in cost difference? shit is insane to me.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    yep, order canceled. finally got through after waiting on hold for over an hour and they said they can't do anything.

so fuck it. hopefully they can successfully reroute the couch pieces away from here so i literally never have to see them, blind with rage atm.

the deal i got during black friday was a slight deal over their standard prices, i just didn't think they would then have a deal that made me go from saving like 150 dollars to almost 800 dollars a week later. why on fucking earth would you do that while also having a return policy like this. are you just hoping people will be so hard up for a couch that they clearly waited until it went on sale to buy that they'll eat the hundreds of dollars in cost difference? shit is insane to me.

More that they won't bother checking back to see the prices post-Black Friday, but yes. They are counting on people being lazy and complacent.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    My wife bought her mom a bracelet on Black Friday for like $50 off the normal price. Cyber Monday comes and the same bracelet is on a deeper sale for like $80 less than she paid. She calls them up and asks them to price match it and they refuse. She asks about cancelling her order (since it hasn't shipped). They say they only allow cancellations for 30 minutes after the order is placed, and that they can't cancel it now even though it hasn't shipped. She asks about the return policy and they say 30 days, with free return shipping. So she asks why they would prefer to pay return shipping (and free shipping on another of the same bracelet!) rather than just match the price for her.

They literally said "Well, most people don't want to have two of these charges on their credit card while they wait for a refund for the first one".

These people have underestimated my wife, and that is their downfall.

I, on the other hand, have gone back to Lowe's twice now to price match two separate price drops on my table saw over the course of a month since I got it with no pushback from Lowe's whatsoever. I'm down to about 50% of the original price we paid for it.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

More that they won't bother checking back to see the prices post-Black Friday, but yes. They are counting on people being lazy and complacent.

i wasn't going back to check the prices, but i went back to check my shipping information because it's already a week late.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I was disappointed that the horse was not in every picture.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That's a real good deal I feel.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I asked this in the love thread but it occurs to me there might be more opinions/ideas here: Best places to look for rentals/room shares? I've looked on Zillow, Craigslist, Trulia, and some others so far. I'm in NY if it matters, in Eastern Nassau/Western Suffolk Long Island if that matters too.

• Options
    So the guy who couldnt do the kitchen wall was also supposed to make a door in an upstairs area so we could have a crawl space. There was a piece of the wall where a radiator was that you could see a ton of space under, so he was just going to remove that, put in a door, and then I'd put down plywood and use it to store all our junk.

He felt so bad about the kitchen, he instead made it into a nice cabinet.

Which is about 1.5 feet deep.

Defeating the purpose of the entire space.

Good thing my wife already to him she LOVES it, so it can be even more awkward when I call and ask him to just do what I fucking asked.

I'm not having the best homeowner day.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    :bro:

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Are all the interiors on a slope like that because he's still on the horse when he took them, I wonder?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I was skimming the listing and saw "Discount for multiple horses." I hadn't seen the previous sentence about charging stable rent, so I briefly thought he just liked horses so much that he'd give you a break on your rent if you brought him a couple more to hang out with.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So the guy who couldnt do the kitchen wall was also supposed to make a door in an upstairs area so we could have a crawl space. There was a piece of the wall where a radiator was that you could see a ton of space under, so he was just going to remove that, put in a door, and then I'd put down plywood and use it to store all our junk.

He felt so bad about the kitchen, he instead made it into a nice cabinet.

Which is about 1.5 feet deep.

Defeating the purpose of the entire space.

Good thing my wife already to him she LOVES it, so it can be even more awkward when I call and ask him to just do what I fucking asked.

I'm not having the best homeowner day.

What I'm really confused about is how this guy appears to just be unilaterally making decisions about all of this without checking in first??

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I put up plastic over all the windows in the sunroom yesterday and to the cats' credit it took them almost four hours to put a hole in one of them.

Update: All plastic is now shredded. It had a good run.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Your cats thank you for your offering.

...okay probably not really but at least they had a good time.

• Options
    I think I just blew the mind of the guy behind the desk at the builder's merchants. I wanted plasterboard pricing up so I've measured all the surfaces and put together a little google sheets document that has all the measurements for the various surfaces that works out the surface area, then divides by the size of plasterboard and rounds up to give me a rough amount of sheets

I think he expected me to come back tomorrow with another amount when he told me I couldn't have them in 1800 sheets, as they only do 2400, so when I changed the divisor from 1.62 to 2.88 and all the amounts updated automatically he was looking at me like I was some kind of wizard

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Sounds like you've got a very fancy tape measure.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I really don't think spreadsheets get enough credit. They're one of the most bonkers useful technologies humans have ever come up with.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I really don't think spreadsheets get enough credit. They're one of the most bonkers useful technologies humans have ever come up with.

For sure. You can make important graphs.
    bt7nlhb3d57r.png

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Being able to do even the most basic programming in excel makes you a genius to most of the world.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I blew my office manager's mind when I set up spreadsheets to automatically calculate values that she was adding by hand in a calculator and typing in the result into the spreadsheet.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I blew my office manager's mind when I set up spreadsheets to automatically calculate values that she was adding by hand in a calculator and typing in the result into the spreadsheet.

Ah yes, the =SUM() function. The immortal race of sentient equations allegedly waiting on hard drives. We have dismissed this claim.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Wait, the office manager didn't know the SUM function existed in Excel?

This discussion has been closed.