As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Is the Switch version getting these expansions at about the same time, or will it be months behind?

Don't think any expansions have been announced for the switch version. Switch version just came out while Rise and Fall has been out for 9 months.

I am not hopeful on that front.

Is the Switch version equivalent to the new "Gold" one though (i.e. already has R&F built in)

Everything I've read says no. It has some of the engine improvements and rules tweaks but not the major systems or civs that R&F added.

Fair enough, thought it might make sense given the timing but I can see targeting base Civ6 is important for a release that's really testing the waters as much as anything else.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I was amazed that it was announced for the Switch at all to be honest, it seems an unlikely fit.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting to mention this - Great Writers seems WAY too easy to earn in this game, and I run out of space for them to do anything with. I eventually just recruit them so that the other civs can't.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That sounds like you're building too many Theater districts.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Not even. That's like two districts.

Didn't Great People have two purposes in Civ 5? One was them being present and another was consumable? Or am I imagining things?

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    Not even. That's like two districts.

Didn't Great People have two purposes in Civ 5? One was them being present and another was consumable? Or am I imagining things?

You could burn great writers for culture in civ 5, but it didn’t count for tourism for the victory so it was generally not a great thing to do unless you had no slots and didn’t forsee getting any new ones for a good long while.

Edit: or it was the very end of the game and an ideology tenant would give more of a tourism boost than a great work.

Jealous Deva on
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting to mention this - Great Writers seems WAY too easy to earn in this game, and I run out of space for them to do anything with. I eventually just recruit them so that the other civs can't.

Remember that every temple you build has a slot you can store a relic in. So one trick I use when I'm getting too many great writers is to check and see if any AIs got a relic from a tribal village, and trade one of my great works of writing for it (along with whatever amount of gold per turn I can convince them to give me). This makes room for more great works of writing and allows those relic slots that would normally go unfilled to be useful for something.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Beefers wrote: »
    Haven't played a round of Civ6 since Australia came out, how is the AI now? Gladius has been spoiling me rotten on that front...

It's improved from not being able to take an undefended walled city, to taking an undefended walled city.

If you have even one or two units though? Nope. Never going to happen. An AI can still be held off indefinitely regardless of how much they outnumber you thanks to 1UPT traffic jam. They even stink against other AIs. I think I can count the number of times I've seen an AI capture a city from another AI on half of a hand.

And it still can't win any of the other victory conditions.

The governor system from R&F only widened the gap between player and AI. The AI can't even figure out how tourism works, no way does it figure out governors.

MrBody on

Remember that every temple you build has a slot you can store a relic in. So one trick I use when I'm getting too many great writers is to check and see if any AIs got a relic from a tribal village, and trade one of my great works of writing for it (along with whatever amount of gold per turn I can convince them to give me). This makes room for more great works of writing and allows those relic slots that would normally go unfilled to be useful for something.
    You can trade that stuff? I had no idea.

You can trade that stuff? I had no idea.

Yeah, trading great works is the main way to get themed museums, which give you way more culture and tourism than unthemed ones, as well as the inspiration for Cultural Heritage.

• BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    After playing a lot of Gladius, I am no longer convinced Civ6s AI issues are at all related to 1 UPT. Much more related to their absolute lack of engagement with the community on the issue and not actively working to develop it further.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Gladius? The game from 2003 according to my googles?

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    After playing a lot of Gladius, I am no longer convinced Civ6s AI issues are at all related to 1 UPT. Much more related to their absolute lack of engagement with the community on the issue and not actively working to develop it further.

I think there are a lot of issues with building the game then expecting the ai to just work rather than considerinf ai in mind when making game choices.

Unit upgrades are a big example. The ai has trouble keeping units up to date. Is it because upgrades are broken? Not really the ai upgrades fine when it has the tech and a unit is available. So what’s the problem? Many of the unit upgrades are on dead end techs. So unless the ai is actively prioritizing making, say, pikemen, it will never research the upgrade tech. Most of the time it sails on by because other stuff is more important. Meanwhile it just keeps spearmen around forever.

This is pretty easily fixed by not having dead end techs and having a tech tree designed where you can’t get too far ahead without reaearching previous era techs.

All very good points.

Gladius: Relics of War. The all war 40k 4x (no diplo) with an unfortunate name.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Gladius: Relics of War. The all war 40k 4x (no diplo) with an unfortunate name.
    How is that game? I'm a sucker for 4x, and also Tyranids.

edited November 2018
    I have mostly played co-op vs AI, but have had a lot of fun with it so far. It seems very good and nicely balanced. No Tyranids atm (IG, SM, Ork, Necron), but they are announcing the next race this weekend and it seems possible.

As long as you don't go in expecting a grand strategy type of 4x and just come for the warfare it is worth playing, the most important resource is almost always army strength. My biggest gripe is the grimdark tileset does not offer as much visual variety as other 4x titles.

Edit: Looks like you were right on the money, next race will be Tyranids.

Beefers on
    edited November 2018
    Only suckers build military units.

Raven King: Levied city-state units get +2 movement, get +5 combat strength, and can be upgraded for free. Paying the levy fee for a city-state automatically grants +2 envoys in that city-state.
    Pearl of the Danube: City centers built on a river give +50% production when building districts and buildings on the same river if they are on the opposite side of it.
    Black Army: Replaces courser. Unlocks with castles. +3 Combat Strength for each adjacent unit levied from a city-state. Upgrades into Huszar.
    Huszar: Replaces cavalry. +3 combat strength for every active alliance you have with another civilization.
    Thermal Bath: Replaces the zoo. +3 tourism and +2 amenities if there is a geothermal fissure in the same city. City centers within six tiles gain +2 amenities and +2 production. (Multiple thermal baths do not stack.)

Ivan Hunger on
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Get some levying done before your enemies conquer city states and you're laughing. The district building bonus is great for early development and likely means a useful river bias.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    That's going to be so feast or famine based on city state spawns. If you end up in that "Me and all the city states" continent you're going to be unstoppable. If not you are a sad Hungarian.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    That's going to be so feast for famine based on city state spawns. If you end up in that "Me and all the city states" continent you're going to be unstoppable. If not you are a sad Hungarian.
    Are you saying they are going to be... Hungary?

That is a pretty fascinating way to represent Buda/Pest

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    There's some really interesting changes to Warmongering discussed in the first 15min of this (I've only go that far atm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXaw1e0cXyM

Seems like defending yourself from an aggro neighbour will be a lot more diplomatically viable. Too many times in the base game has the AI declared on me, and then turned around and got pissy when its army faceplants and I take a border city in retribution.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    I won my first ever game on Emperor today. Science Victory with Germany on turn ~320.

Now I'm watching YouTube videos of civtrader6 killing everyone on turn 103 with horses on Deity, and realizing just how incredibly shit I still am at this game.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Don't feel too bad, the Civ AI (all series) has always had an Achilles heal of horse rush/spam.

edited December 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjFRHoxUSLU

Start in the Ocean, big bonuses to nautical techs as expected
    Culture/Faith bonuses, but no great writers, a curious choice.
    Classical Unit that has a Haka passive, which is cool

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png

Culture/Faith bonuses.

It's the perfect civilization for players who want to start way out in the middle of the ocean, have a bunch of unimproved woods and rainforests in their territory, have limited district location options due to their inability to harvest resources, and hate literature.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Culture/Faith bonuses.

It's the perfect civilization for players who want to start way out in the middle of the ocean, have a bunch of unimproved woods and rainforests in their territory, have limited district location options due to their inability to harvest resources, and hate literature.

So when do we meet, are there enough chairs in the room and should I ask my mom to make treats for everyone?

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjFRHoxUSLU

Culture/Faith bonuses, but no great writers, a curious choice.

Makes sense to me as Maori was a purely spoken language before the arrival of missionaries who spread the Latin alphabet.

edited December 2018

The Last, Best West: Farms can be built on tundra flatland tiles. When civil engineering is researched, they can also be built on tundra hills. Tundra and snow tiles cost only half the normal amount of gold to buy. Strategic resources on tundra or snow tiles are doubled.
    Four Faces of Peace: Canada is too polite to declare surprise war, but no one can declare a surprise war on them either. Gain double diplomatic favor for completing emergencies and scored competitions (such as the international games). Gain 1 point of diplomatic favor every time you generate 100 tourism.
    Mountie: Modern era light calvary unit. Can create 1 national park. +5 combat strength if within 2 tiles of a national park in rival territory, or +10 combat strength if within 2 tiles of a national park in your territory.
    Ice Hockey Rink: Unique improvement. +1 amenity. Increases the appeal of all adjacent tiles by 2. +1 culture for each adjacent tundra and snow tile, and +4 culture for each adjacent entertainment complex with a stadium building. After researching professional spots, generates +2 food and +2 production. Can only be built on tundra or snow. Cannot be built in a city that already has an ice hockey rink in its territory.

Ivan Hunger on
    Oh Canada (ha) looks right in my wheelhouse, nice

7qmGNt5.png
    I dunno why but everything about that screams "let's make Canada a meme" to me.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Eagerly awaiting the seaside resorts next door to hockey rinks

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Also am I the only one who thinks Canada is like... kind of a dumb include? Aside from the abilities feeling kinda meme-y, Canada just doesn’t spring to mind when I think of great world/historic cultures.

In general I don’t really like the move to nation states as opposed to ‘civilizations.’

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited December 2018
    Also am I the only one who thinks Canada is like... kind of a dumb include? Aside from the abilities feeling kinda meme-y, Canada just doesn’t spring to mind when I think of great world/historic cultures.

In general I don’t really like the move to nation states as opposed to ‘civilizations.’

There seems to be a disconnect between the smaller but more passionate hardcore fanbase and the larger but more indifferent casual fanbase on this issue.

Allegedly, the highest selling DLC pack for Civ 5 was Korea, and the highest selling DLC pack for Civ 6 was Australia. It isn't hard to see what the takeaway from those results would be for Firaxis. As much as people on message boards may complain about "historical importance", there's a silent majority who doesn't care about concepts like that at all and just wants to be able to play as the nation they actually live in.

Ivan Hunger on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

This Civ is really big on going off the beaten path. Many leaders are not the successful Fathers of the Fatherland or Great Conquerors from past Civs, but are just so-so. Firaxis is teaching me a lot about figures I knew nothing about, so I am not complaining at all.

But you are right that Canada is not a great civilization, but it is a successful nation-state that functions as a shining example for many social-democrats around world.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of civs that can use bad terrain types well. Also culture/diplomatic victory? Sign me up.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    What was the song? Because I thought I heard strains of O Canada in there but not all the time.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    To be fair, I wouldn't really call "America" a civilization.