As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I took care of them

Every last one

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Finishing up the Eyes of Kosmos chain: The Master
    did any of you kill the woman to free the slave?
    it never actually gave me the option, objective or marker to find and kill this woman
    I'm not sure you're actually able to

From some Googling I did to research how this quest chain works back when I encountered the same issue...
    You only get the choice to kill the person if you haven't already finished the Odessa quest chain. If Odessa already in your crew (which I imagine most people did), it just locks you into refusing The Master's offer.

The branching storyline system in this game was...very poorly handled, I feel.

That's really interesting! Kinda wish I had at least wandered over to see who the target was.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    it never actually gave me the option, objective or marker to find and kill this woman

From some Googling I did to research how this quest chain works back when I encountered the same issue...
    You only get the choice to kill the person if you haven't already finished the Odessa quest chain. If Odessa already in your crew (which I imagine most people did), it just locks you into refusing The Master's offer.

Wait is Odessa the target?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Wait is Odessa the target?
    Yeah

If her questline is completed, though, you are never explicitly told

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

Just got off the first Island and landed in the first Spartan controlled area.

Really enjoying it so far, the expanded RPG elements are really my thing.

I've picked Kassandra. She looks eerily like one of my friends.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Doing a little last minute stream sale shopping.

Is the DLC for origins worth an extra $16 or should I just get the base game for now?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I enjoyed the DLC, the Pharaoh one in particular has some amazing environments in it and is quite large in size.

ooh also the first of the Odyssey DLC chapters is slated for next week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXSUVWj2wxA&t=

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Doing a little last minute stream sale shopping.

Is the DLC for origins worth an extra $16 or should I just get the base game for now?

I would recommend it at that price point.

Sinai (Hidden Ones) has some follow-ups to the main story. Curse of the Pharaohs, as mentioned, is expansive and is a little more stand-alone (iirc).

Tamin on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Oh hey also I found out that the second Lost Tale came out a while back, it's in Korinthia and is quite fun. Again, pretty short but that's what these things are.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I finally finished the main story elements, just in time for the new DLC it seems.

This was a huge game but I enjoyed it a lot, despite my need to clear every question mark on the map (this often tripped some story stuff for me and that's a bummer. Although it was always funny when a quest giver wanted some thingamabob and it's like oh this thing? Here you go.)

I guess we are getting new mastery stuff to throw points into as well?

• Options
    edited November 2018
    New patch. No notes yet, but the Mastery system seems to be active.

It seems... expensive. Each Mastery has 20 levels. There are 23 per tree, mostly based on the perks you'll find on equipment. There are some that seem unique to this:
    - chance to deal assassin damage on melee hit
    - damage with bows while hidden
    - damage per enemy engaged (up to 2.5%)

edit: I always find it funny that steam gets the patch notes before uplay: mastery becomes available at 50, so that cancels out my concern pre-edit. The ones in the steam discussion are just the "most notable" and may not be complete.

a couple of funny notes:

* Addressed an issue where wolves or dogs would drown when kicked in the water by the player. *tries not to judge*
    * Addressed an issue that prevented the player to dismiss Tekton as Lieutenant. Go home Tekton, you’re drunk.
    * Addressed an issue that caused Sea Shanties to stop playing when switching between “stop” and “resume” actions multiple times. // indecisive much??

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    There's a boatload (haha) of new achievements added as well, so clearly prep for the DLC is included in this update.

Notes here https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/game/en-gb/news-updates/340996/assassins-creed-odyssey-1-1-0-and-1-1-1-patch-notes
    Wearing the full set of a Legendary Armor now gives more powerful bonuses than the version available for engraving.

The amount of crafting material being bought can now be increased significantly faster

noice

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I removed all of the skill points I put into Hunter skills and poured them into maxing out Assassin damage and then Warrior damage

I then belatedly realised that one Hunter skill that I did use was the one that refills the Focus bar

Whoops

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The focus bar and the slowed enemy reaction time are literally the only two Hunter skills I have

Bows and arrows: fuck ‘em

• Options
    Ghosts Arrows of Artemis is a hell of a fun tool though.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Ghosts Arrows of Artemis is a hell of a fun tool though.

The major bonus in the archery tree for me is bumping up the slowmo window between being spotted and a guard going on alert. That's let me kill a lot of people in a variety of ways without breaking stealth.

• Options
    Big fan of predator arrows personally but mainly because that's the only good way to one-hit folks with bows.

• Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Big fan of predator arrows personally but mainly because that's the only good way to one-hit folks with bows.

The slowmo jump is also pretty damned powerful with the other predator bonuses. It's great to climb up on a tower, disable the alarm, then jump off while one-shotting multiple soldiers.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I don't really get The Writing's On The Wall
    the initial dialogue points to Routsouna Waterfall

after investigating all the graffiti, the clues point to ... Routsouna Waterfall.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the purpose of the extra step. A tidbit on paint in Classical Greece? I guess that's nice to know.

Thera:
    landed on Thera a couple of weeks ago after finishing the Writhing Dread and wanting for more mythic stuff. Moved a bunch of mirrors around, but received no feedback and moved on, figuring they'd give me a key or something to start the reaction.

Not so much! Just being told to go was enough. It's pretty funny to pull into sight of the island and get "It's aligned!" immediately

(also I'm pretty happy because I had eyeballed most of the mirrors correctly. Just missed one, and I think it's one I had gone back and forth on)

Tamin on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Finished the episode 1, overall ok with one moment I really loved
    kassandra being confronted with all her dead and their relatives at the tree. I always love when games explore how bloodthirsty their protagonist is, even if it's only surface level it was still an awesome reveal. Is there any way to avoid killing the family members? Also darius says there will be consequences if you don't stealth his early mission, anyone know what the consequences are since I stealthed it?

Also some lazy coding when you kill the ancients, as Kassandra said the "that's what you get for hurting my family". line when I confirmed an Ancients kill, as if it were a Cultist. Thought that was pretty funny since the ancients have done nothing yet to her family

• Options
    Combat is taking some getting used to. It's quite different to Origins.

Some enemies do feel quite bullet (sword?) spongey. Not sure I'm a fan of most enemies not being one hit kills with assassinations without heavily speccing/gearing towards it.

It's getting better however, I've began spending my money to upgrade my gear and I've respecced and spent my ability points better now I know the combat better.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Mike Laidlaw, creative director of the dragom age trilogy, has joined ubisoft quebec as creative director for an umannounced project

So look forward to more robust dialogue trees in assassin's creed 2021 or 2022

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Mike Laidlaw, creative director of the dragom age trilogy, has joined ubisoft quebec as creative director for an umannounced project

So look forward to more robust dialogue trees in assassin's creed 2021 or 2022

Oh I shall

• Options
    I absolutely loved that facet of Odyssey so

I am all the way down for that

• Options
    I absolutely loved that facet of Odyssey so

I am all the way down for that

It makes the game so much more engaging. I hope they go all in on dialogue trees, branching storylines, add some depth to to the companions and give them quests, and all the other old-school Bioware biz.

• Options
    had a quick question about the Peloponnesian Sage: I've found and dealt with all the underlings, but I only have 4/5 clues. Did something glitch?
    his note to the monger is signed 'P.' so I'm reasonably sure I know who it is, but transferring information from the player to the character is difficult.

• Options
    There's a choice you can make for one of the previous guys that determine if the clue drops, which is kinda dumb. Not a glitch.

It doesn't really matter anyway, just keep playing for this one and it will resolve itself through the questlines. You will be able to finish it, just in a different set of circumstances than if you had gotten the last clue.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    That's a bit annoying.

Thank you!

edit: additional annoyance, related to the main quest sending you to Boeotia
    I left Nikolaos alive. He helped me with one of Boeotia's champions, and I recommended that he return to Stentor.

Nikolaos returns in time to stop Stentor and Kassandra from fighting ...

and now I have an impact quest which claims I killed Stentor. I really like the idea of these impact quests, but I'm pretty skeptical about their implementation.

also a quick PSA: I picked up the daily quest to murder some random dude, and the target was hanging out in public. Not wanting to deal with the bounty, however temporarily, I knocked the dude out, then carried him to a nearby cave before offing him.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Combat has finally really clicked for me.

I've learnt that you need to use every tool available to kill some or defend yourself.

I was initially trying to focus on warrior abilities but a couple of the hunter abilities are really powerful so I use them to inflict massive damage when I can.

I also didn't make much use of the roll dodge or parrying, both of which are very useful.

I've also finally started recruiting mercenaries for my ship which have power upgrades.

• Options
    Finished up the main storyline, finally. Kept putting it off to do other things, but I'm fairly happy with my choices.
    Kassandra eating dinner with Alexios, Stetnor*, Nikolaos, and Myrrine was pretty great.

Why can't I transmog my equipment into that suit Kassandra's wearing in the present day?! And, yeah, give me a short series of missions across the centuries. Considering that the Assassin's Creed III remaster is tied to this game, and that Kassandra said she fought in a bunch of wars ... a cameo would be appreciated!

Felt sure Aspasia was the Ghost of Kosmos fairly early on. The law of conservation of characters, mostly. Kept hoping there'd be some clue that contradicted it.

A little disappointed with how many cultists ended up being leaders. And I can only give the clue system a B. Really would have preferred that the clues be scattered around a bit more, maybe fragments found in cultist-controlled areas?

I kept running across Kleon's boat south of an island pair; and while running to a nearby boat dock to sail over to Makedonia for We Will Rise I killed his boat captain. Not sure if that does anything.

* now I'm more confused by that impact quest from a couple of weeks ago. Really just glad the choice was recorded correctly.

I still have question marks on the map! And that first bit of DLC to look at! Man, this game is great.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Anyone know if they've made clear the release schedule for the episodes of the first DLC?

Side note: I think I hate these episodic releases. Spider-Man is doing the same thing and I wish they'd just put it out as one big chunk

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    6 weeks between episodes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    That's a bit annoying.

Thank you!

edit: additional annoyance, related to the main quest sending you to Boeotia
    I left Nikolaos alive. He helped me with one of Boeotia's champions, and I recommended that he return to Stentor.

Nikolaos returns in time to stop Stentor and Kassandra from fighting ...

and now I have an impact quest which claims I killed Stentor. I really like the idea of these impact quests, but I'm pretty skeptical about their implementation.

also a quick PSA: I picked up the daily quest to murder some random dude, and the target was hanging out in public. Not wanting to deal with the bounty, however temporarily, I knocked the dude out, then carried him to a nearby cave before offing him.

The politician ones are always hilarious. You read a sign, run up to a guy standing next to sign. Brutally stab him in front of horrified onlookers. Then brutally stab him again to confirm the kill.

I'm the good guy!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    6 weeks between episodes

Hmm, that's longer than I thought it would be. So is it like "DLC week, 2 weeks off, Free Content week, 2 weeks off, DLC week?"

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I just did the entire "ride into Alexandria" mission the moment it became available, just flying my bird alongside Bayek as my camel follows the road into Alex and right up to the steps of the library and just

dang, y'all

so cool

(now of course I have to leave the city and do a bunch of the side quests I passed along the way to level up because everyone here is like +4-6 levels compared to me which is dumb but w/e. Worth it.)

• Options
    update: conquest battles still infuriate me.

• Options
    I wish conquest battles were harder

And that they weren’t utterly pointless

• Options
    At least you can gain weapon kills for engraving mastery in Conquest Battles now.

• Options
    I started favoring the heavy bladed/axe weapons towards the end of the game when I had to do a bunch of those in a row, heavy attacks would take care of five guys at a time and the overpower would usually finish off the next captain they put up against you.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I really liked staffs in Origins but I gave the two-handed mace a swing (haha) and I also like the slower but super-damaging hits it does.