As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2018 PAX Unplugged Challenge Coin

• nomisronomisro Brooklyn, NY, USARegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Yes, I got mine as well. It appears they were coated in an epoxy. I was aware they were to be epoxied, but I was unaware they would coat the entire thing. It sounded like they just put epoxy over the paint to seal it in.
    Sorry guys, I definitely thought the purple would stand out more, but the epoxy is keeping the light from hitting it as much and instead making it that much darker.

@nomisro Are yours not epoxied or is that the result of a direct flash?

Mine is epoxied as well. It needs to be in a good light source to actually see the purple.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, outside in the sun they look real nice.

Spoke with Kiddercorp and they can do a painted surface only epoxy, but it's something that needs to be designed that way. No way to really change anything this year, but it's definitely given me notes for changes for next year.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • drakuldragondrakuldragon Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    a2huvjk9w7j4.png
    My coins have landed! While very nice, I didn’t realize they were black this year. I wouldn’t do that again, they’re really hard to see. The purple is almost black too. Kind of a bummer :(

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

DOTS RPG Project - Guild Master Jess | @dotsrpg

Just read through the previous comments here (after posting) glad to see I’m not alone. I even checked the posts above to see the final submission, I guess I was expecting more of a silver like in the rendering. Would’ve made a world of a difference. @ArcSyn was there a miscommunication with KC?

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Pretty disappointed about how dark the purple ended up being and how hard the coins are to make out this year. Seemed at least better contrasted in the mock up. Does anyone have their coins from last year handy for a comparison photo? I remember the metal itself being lighter but maybe it was all the color, or did the metal change from last year to this year?

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

5als8oz7cymq.png
    The light makes it more extreme looking so here’s the front in shadow. Still different colors.

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

It's supposed to be the same black nickel look as last year, but it's definitely a darker batch of finish. Combined with everything else and it's just super dark this year. Sorry guys, it's not what I expected either.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Dragonbear82Dragonbear82 Registered User regular
    It's supposed to be the same black nickel look as last year, but it's definitely a darker batch of finish. Combined with everything else and it's just super dark this year. Sorry guys, it's not what I expected either.

We appreciate all your efforts ArcSyn. Organizing things like this is a time consuming and often thankless job and please know that we appreciate everything you have done. Sometimes things don't turn out how you expect, but you learn from it and hopefully next time it will be better.

• LilRuubLilRuub Registered User regular
    It is unfortunate how they turned out. Just for the heck of it, my son was able to get most of the epoxy off one side of the coin. It pulled up some paint but what was left still looked dark. Interestingly, the pain that came off on the epoxy looked bright.

Aside from the issues with the color, I personally do not like the feel of the epoxy coated coins. In my opinion they don't feel like coins. You can feel the ridges. I think they are just too smooth.

What do the rest of you think.

• itzzzdaeitzzzdae So. Cali.Registered User regular
    Is there a location for pickup at Unplugged?

4rYn4o8.png
    No, the only PAX that does pickup is Aus, due to the cost of shipping there. Even then it's a bit of a pain because it's not pat of PAX officially, so there isn't a location we can staff and use as pickup.

@LilRuub What method did he use to get the epoxy off? I've seen steam and/or rubbing alcohol soaking as methods, and I was going to attempt them just to see what happens.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular

We appreciate all your efforts ArcSyn. Organizing things like this is a time consuming and often thankless job and please know that we appreciate everything you have done. Sometimes things don't turn out how you expect, but you learn from it and hopefully next time it will be better.

100% this, thank you for all your hard work ArcSyn. Even though the coins arent what we hoped they would be, I still love them and they were worth every penny.

Definitely love the design @ArcSyn, your efforts are much appreciated. I wonder if it was a mistake on kiddercorp end then? If you requested finish number 1 and they used finish number 2 instead?

Regarding the epoxy - I think I’m confused as to what people are saying. On my unpainted one everything is tactile. The painted one has a gloss over the whole coin, which is standard (thinking of all of my painted military coins)

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

Definitely love the design @ArcSyn, your efforts are much appreciated. I wonder if it was a mistake on kiddercorp end then? If you requested finish number 1 and they used finish number 2 instead?

Regarding the epoxy - I think I’m confused as to what people are saying. On my unpainted one everything is tactile. The painted one has a gloss over the whole coin, which is standard (thinking of all of my painted military coins)

Last year even the painted one was tactile. I've never seen a military coin. Is it standard then to get them glossed/epoxied when painted? I don't think any PAX ones have been before.

That's where the confusion lies I think. It's the first time one has been made this way.

As far as the finish goes, the only other dark finish is literally black. It's probably just variance. As far as the purple goes, that's probably the difference between a computer screen shining light at your eyes, and the light now bouncing off the surface more indirectly. As we can see from the picture on the previous page that looks much brighter when a flash is used. I'll be using the voting next year to decide on a lighter metal/purple. I also will be comparing it to the signage at PAX to try and more closely match it, since that was the point of coloring the ring.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    They’re basically like enamel pins - stamped metal with wells for ink (paint/enamel). Then there’s a resin/gloss finish over the whole piece. I’ll take a picture later for those curious

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Is it standard then to get them glossed/epoxied when painted? I don't think any PAX ones have been before.

I don't have them right now to compare but I'm almost positive all my colored coins from East had that gloss over them as well. I know I remember at least one with a clear coat on both sides.

I vote for the metal to be lightened up next time around. I think the dark finish and dark paint is just too little contrast, there's also a few bits under bright light that look to be a little thin (The face in the D4 is the easiest spot to see in my coins), makes me wonder if the paint is a bit translucent and the metal behind being so dark made the paint seem that much darker.

@drakuldragon thank you for the comparison photos. I moved in with my GF a few weeks ago and left my coins back home on LI.

TopherRocks on
  • AMacAMac Registered User new member
    edited November 2018
    I agree with @LilRuub. While the dark purple is growing on me, I do feel this is quite different from the previews you were excited about, @ArcSyn. I am going to be challenging everyone I see in the hopes of finding one of you fine folk at the convention, and I will treasure it like my 2017 coin, but how can we be sure what we see is what we get next year?

AMac on
    2d4ungiskife.png
    @ArcSyn Hopefully this helps. The gloss cover is exactly the same

And yes @TopherRocks enamel paint is always slightly translucent. Think nail polish. 9 times out of 10 needs more than one coat to look like the bottle

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

• LilRuubLilRuub Registered User regular
    @ArcSyn To get the epoxy off, my son took one of the coins (I bought 6) and put it in a vice then worked his way around with a carpet knife. Eventually he was able to lift off most of the edge on one side then the epoxy peeled off fairly easily. It is worth noting that even after this it appeared that there was still some residual epoxy on the coin. Also, the paint that was lifted off with the epoxy was MUCH brighter than the paint left on the coin. I think there may have been a chemical reaction between the epoxy and the paint where they met. That may be why the paint on the other side (e.g. against the coin) is still very bright. It looked like the pictures. Unfortunately I threw away the epoxy with the paint chips so can't provide a picture.

NOTE: The coin was scratched and damaged in the attempt to remove the epoxy. Most solvents (e.g. alcohol, acetone, MEK) will not remove epoxy unless the adhesion is very weak. Heat & Cold may break the bonds due to different rates of thermal expansion. We briefly tried a heat gun but that didn't accomplish anything.

@drakuldragon That is super helpful to see and know. It totally caught me off guard to see it coated.

Thanks @LilRuub , super excited about PAX tomorrow and behind in packing, so my experiments in epoxy may need to wait.

I really don't like that they're disappointing to some, and not what was expected to most, but I am glad that you guys have been encouraging and feel that these are lessons learned to make next year's that much better.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Happy to help! I’d suggest avoiding the dark metals next time. East’s this year was super bright

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

• DisenchanterDisenchanter Magnolia, DERegistered User regular
    obligatory, "any coins left?" post

Yup! They're working on a small batch of second run painted coins, and there's plenty of ready to ship unpainted coins.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • JMCampbellJMCampbell Registered User new member
    I'd love to get one of these. What do I need to do?

JMCampbell wrote: »
    I'd love to get one of these. What do I need to do?

Just follow the instructions on the order form here:
    https://goo.gl/forms/9qptRlwX24KFWnQk1

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    If I sign up for painted, do you think they'll look like the others posted here, or will they have made adjustment for a 2nd run?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    They'll probably still look the same. Making adjustments would probably cost extra since the factory already has the mold and process finalized.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • aram12aram12 Registered User regular
    I can't remember from last year...is there tracking provided? I sent my payment on the 6th.

I don't see any shipments yet from the second color batch that was ordered. They're probably waiting for it to come in still. I'll reach out and see.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Yeah, they're waiting for the second print run to be done. I don't currently have an ETA.

Also, I'm going to close out the order form on 1/1, so if anyone's been waiting to order, place it now. That way they don't have to keep monitoring the form for new orders.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Ok, no more submissions for now. I'll get in touch with them tomorrow and ask about ETAs for those who haven't received them yet.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Thanks, Arc. Looking forward to update.

What's the good word, Arc?

Looking for an update...

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @ArcSyn any news?

Sorry, I'll shoot them an email and find out what's going on. I haven't seen them tell me they've shipped anything recently.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    News?

None. I don't know why they haven't been responding. If I don't hear back tomorrow, I'll email again. Maybe they take MLK off.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Emailed them again.
    The second batch should have arrived by now. I don't know if they were delayed by South's orders or what, but hopefully they'll respond soon.

4dm3dwuxq302.png