As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Why are there two fewer episodes this series than last?

Probably Hammonds crash?

That and wrecked super cars eat into your budget.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Also maybe the special was intended to be a two-parter like last year's, but they just couldn't stretch it out enough.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I wonder if Jeremy could of done that whole trip in a day if he just drove off. The only real thing holding him back was having to constantly rescue the other two.

It was an ok special, but i'd rank it near the bottom of all the specials they've done over the years. I much prefer when they all buy some cheap half broken cars of a similar type.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Top Gear is back on tv now with a new season, any impressions? I do like Matt, Chris and Rory so this might be good.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I might be crazy, but I think the new Top Gear team might have just found it.

This was the best episode they've ever done. Chris and Matt have real chemistry.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Other than the guest star segment there wasn't anything to break up the main 'film' so it just seemed to drag on for far too long for me.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Just showed some co-workers the video on Ripsaw's website of Hammond driving one in Season 2. They lost their goddamn minds.

I think I might have converted a couple of them to watching this stuff.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    i wonder how GT managed to score that Overwatch crossover.

• Options
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

The reporting is super confusing, because they say it was months after the famous Clarkson punch.

And that it happened in 2016.

I don't think it helps that they re-tread the Clarkson punch so much in this article, it really confuses me on what the fuck actually happened and when.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    He is a wrecking ball though. Be brave, Richard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWOyY194HCo

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »

The reporting is super confusing, because they say it was months after the famous Clarkson punch.

And that it happened in 2016.

I don't think it helps that they re-tread the Clarkson punch so much in this article, it really confuses me on what the fuck actually happened and when.

Near as I can tell they were drunk and fooling around and Hammond hit the guy on the wrong spot?

Like the more troubling thing js he had to pay out of pocket because filming ended

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    See, he was trying to hit the guy's face, but since it's Hammond the guy's lucky he wasn't hit in the crotch.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Maybe guys nearish 50 shouldn't try to drunk play fight.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Yeah but its Hammond. Like odds are good he'd miss fall into a car and crash it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Yeah but its Hammond. Like odds are good he'd miss fall into a car and crash it

My initial reading of that article title had me erroneously assuming that Hammond had injured himself in another car accident and my immediate thought was "oh come on! Again?"

My brain just saw "Hammond", "breaks", and "rib" in the same sentence and made an assumption.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    So it's been announced that Andrew Flintoff and Paddy McGuinness are joining as new co-hosts with Chris Harris. Rory Reid gets dropped out of main presenting back to Extra Gear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45937945

I'm kinda disapointed for Rory, felt like he was doing a fine job there. I also don't get the obsession with putting in "established" stars.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    "Celebrities that like cars" is definitely way off the mark for why the show got big in the first place. Nobody wants to see some random celebrity talking about how great it is to be super-rich and have ridiculous cars; the original bunch was a group of total nobody gearheads that got along fairly well, which is why they had that huge average-person appeal.

Only way BBC could get something comparable to the original crew would be to actually get hosts from a similar background as the originals, but no way are they going to wait years to develop something like that when they can keep throwing money at the problem for years instead.

• Options
    Losing Matt LeBlanc just feels like they lost the show completely and for good.

• Options
    They weren't exactly total nobodies; Clarkson and May were both known quantities having been involved (to differing extents) in "old" Top Gear. Clarkson in particular was already pretty much a household name.

• Options
    Paddy McGuinness sounds like a super racist made up name

• Options
    Rory was the weakest presenter who didn't know how to act for scripted stuff and seemed to take things too personally, so I can see him going back to AAA league just to get more experience.

But these new people, who the fuck cares about a grashopper player (zing) and some comedian who, from what I can remember on british shows, is just sort of bollocks this bollocks that. Greg Davies trying to drive cars but being a mountain screwing up the car's center of gravity would have been fun.

I was hoping this thread coming back was about Grand Tour news.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    They weren't exactly total nobodies; Clarkson and May were both known quantities having been involved (to differing extents) in "old" Top Gear. Clarkson in particular was already pretty much a household name.

They weren't exactly poor either.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Grand Tour returns Januari 18.

https://youtu.be/-7USlC956z8

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Yessssss

• Options
    IIRC, the GT contract was for three seasons, and this will be number three...

I'm assuming it's [Clarkson voice]good news![/Clarkson voice] that we've not heard anything about this being their grand finale.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    IIRC, the GT contract was for three seasons, and this will be number three...

I'm assuming it's [Clarkson voice]good news![/Clarkson voice] that we've not heard anything about this being their grand finale.

I swear I read somewhere that this was their last season, probably here maybe?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Also thank God they've aloud Sabine to speak!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    I don't see why they wouldn't up the contract for another few seasons if the trio still wants to do this. Granted Amazon wants to do this stupid "no too many showz, a duh maek moer Game of Thrones lotz of monee" thing but you need something in the lines of other programming. It's their highest viewed show supposedly and while it will never get the accolades something like Ms. Maisel does it's the show that's kept me holding on to my Prime subscription.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Also thank God they've aloud Sabine to speak!

D'you mean Abbie? The wonderful Sabine is on the other show.

(I hope Abbie actually gets mentioned by name this time around, not just "she").

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't see why they wouldn't up the contract for another few seasons if the trio still wants to do this. Granted Amazon wants to do this stupid "no too many showz, a duh maek moer Game of Thrones lotz of monee" thing but you need something in the lines of other programming. It's their highest viewed show supposedly and while it will never get the accolades something like Ms. Maisel does it's the show that's kept me holding on to my Prime subscription.

Well i thinks its more a long the lines of how long the TRIO wants to do the shows. They arent getting any younger.
    Though they DO seem to still be having fun. So who knows.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Well i thinks its more a long the lines of how long the TRIO wants to do the shows. They arent getting any younger.
    Though they DO seem to still be having fun. So who knows.

If they want something like the show to keep going, I would like to see them incorporate some new faces into their shenanigans, make sure the chemistry works for the new group, and then let them take the reigns over the course of a season or two. As was obvious, the BBC knew fuck-all about who to pick for their replacements and basically just grabbed random celebrities/semi-celebrities.

Something like this doesn't need celebrities, it needs goofballs who like cars and get along with one another.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Well, Channel 4 paid, what was it, £75 million for a tent a couple of years back! (The Great British Bake Off)

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

And they might have a buyer for the tent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So looks like they're not just just ditching the tent, they're ditching every tent related segment in exchange for at least 4 specials per year.

Also:
    Asked if they would have the same financial backing as the up to £4million an episode spent on The Grand Tour series, he replied: “Put it this way, Marvel will be jealous of our budgets.”

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Good. More money for the powerrrrrrrrr.

This is what I want to see: the three of them trying to go to space with a rocket they designed, built by Bezos' space company.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I hope they can still find room in the massive budget to have "we were only allowed to spend £500 on these vehicles to cross Siberia" or whatever. That's always brought out the best in them.

Jazz on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I feel like that would qualify as a special

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I feel like that would qualify as a special

It's the specials as they once were, exactly.