As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] Everybody's dead, Dave.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »
    The funny thing to me is that Frost jumped ship to Blizzard where I figure a lot of his shenanigans wouldn't fly. He ended up "Parting ways" from there and now works at Amazon or some branch thereof doing....something.Wildstar's original class designer ended up at blizzard and I think works on HOTS

That's interesting, because I just read the other day how Amazon is for reasons making an MMO. Who could they have put in charge of that, do you think? :?

Holy Crap, first that I've heard about this. Could that "Forbes" article be any more lazy ? Come on, doofus, put in a little effort would you ?

Putting that aside, with Amazon's ability to throw infinite money at a MMO project, this has all sorts of potential.

Amazon's been poaching talent from across the industry for a few years for these projects. To Amazon's goals, an MMO is the type of project that will ensure a consistent and active team of in-house product champions for their cloud gaming platform - a team that'll stress it and find the bugs their internal engineers wouldn't. Even if it crashes and burns revenue-wise, it'll still produce value for the company in the long term. Or at least, that's what the jobs are of Frost and the other folks that Amazon picked up.

So with that in mind, don't necessarily expect this Amazon MMO to be a bombastic success of a game. If they get some revenue from us then that's cool, but we're not necessarily their customers.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    So with that in mind, don't necessarily expect this Amazon MMO to be a bombastic success of a game. If they get some revenue from us then that's cool, but we're not necessarily their customers.

Good point. I would think that their main goal is to get an Amazon Gaming icon installed on your PC or mobile phone that includes a link to THE NEW WORLD, plus these other three or four TOTALLY AWESOME ! Amazon offerings that you could perhaps launch when you have a moment.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Fairchild wrote: »

Good point. I would think that their main goal is to get an Amazon Gaming icon installed on your PC or mobile phone that includes a link to THE NEW WORLD, plus these other three or four TOTALLY AWESOME ! Amazon offerings that you could perhaps launch when you have a moment.

u42bD2il.jpg

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    A buddy of mine is involved with the Amazon MMO. Not as a programmer or artist or anything, but a corporate suit.

Couple months ago he travelled down to Blizzard’s HQ to talk with them about MMO things. Spent the day texting me pics and making me insanely jealous.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I mean, titans like EA have put their warchests behind several failed MMOs*, and god knows how much money NCSoft threw into a fire for Wildstar. It really isn’t a matter of money but having a disciplined, talented team. The team can’t dither like Carbine, but Amazon can’t squeeze the game to try and get their money earlier like Warhammer.

*failed being performing below Publisher Expectations

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    My compassion for Wildstar players is bigger than my hate boner for NCsoft.

Just barely, though.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Nexus Zoning Commission remains the best guild name, ever, in any game I've ever played. That was sheer inspired brilliance.

I've done _one_ good thing in my time here....

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2018-09-26-wildstar-signing-off-november-28/

Wildstar is turning off on November 28th. Until then, they've disabled all ream-money purchases, refunded purchases made since July 1st either in NCoin, Steam Wallet money, or real money, and enabled a ton of events and made everything in the store buyable with omnibits which they've also boosted the droprate of. There's a lot more, check that news page and the final update notes.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Still sad to me when any MMO shuts down. All those stories, and all the time people spent fine tuning their characters and stuff...just gone...

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It's sad to think that these games are simply gone forever - but, the whole reason they're gone is because nobody really cares enough to play them. Time marches on. The few exceptions that do have a diehard community sometimes find ways to come back with emulated servers.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    It's sad to think that these games are simply gone forever - but, the whole reason they're gone is because nobody really cares enough to play them. Time marches on. The few exceptions that do have a diehard community sometimes find ways to come back with emulated servers.

I mean, bad decisions in dev contribute a lot to that, let’s not gloss over that.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I think from a purely historic standpoint, MMOs are a sad thing to lose because you really can't get it back. Not in its original form, anyways.

Like, you can acquire Sonic '06, be it through legitimate or illegitimate means, but Matrix Online? Even private servers can't perfectly replicate that game. Archival in games already suffers from myopia, but MMOs are particularly bad about it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Had a chance to log in and plenty of Omnibits are given away. I got a hoverboard and a mount for a level 8 character.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    BTW, an extra character slot is almost as cheap. You could try all the classes in one weekend.

Heck, even in one day.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Sad to see the game go. I remember the hype for wildstar here at PA being unreal, but unfortunately the guild died fairly quick.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The game had an awesome leveling experience and was super fun to play with friends. The end game was just atrocious.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I loved the dungeons with a group of competent friends. The problem being that when you pugged it, it was a horrendous shitshow. And if you had someone fuck it up and not get gold, you'd have half the group drop out immediately.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Also some of them were toooooo long, especially for pugs.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah not having a ton of time to commit at the time this came out, there was like nothing for me to do at max level since I couldn't raid. Super awesome experience leveling though

• Options
    For the veterans interested in the story.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Sad that we never got to see any of that.

• Options
    Server shutdown event at noon until two (pst) for those that want one last trip

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Well, it was a Wild ride cupcake.

• Options
    There's a few hundred people at the end of the world party. I'm a literal cupcake right now.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I wish I could join but I'm at work.

Bummer, Wildstar was actually a lot of fun. It's sad to see it go even if it was inevitable.

• Options
    edited November 2018

"Press 'F' to pay respects."

And it's over. Artemis sent me an e-mail. :D

I wasn't invested in the game. Just wanted to do a little crafting and managed to finish 2 workboard quests for armor.

Would be nice if WildStar's remains could be turned into a RTS or an online card game. Plenty of lore and factions to play around.

EDIT: Even the official site went down: https://www.wildstar-online.com/en/

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    See you space cowboy(s and girls)...

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Goodbye Wildstar,

I didn't get to experience everything you had to offer but I will always remember the good times we had together.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Farewell, you beautiful weird game that never really got a chance because of a few stubborn devs.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Goodnight Wildstar. You were very pretty and fun.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Farewell, you beautiful weird game that never really got a chance because of a few stubborn devs.

Thought it was the management?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Both.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    hardcore

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    I liked how it was always trying to straddle the line between edgy/cool and self aware at how silly that was.

Like when you level up for the first time "Oh Sh**! You leveled up!" I loved that

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I won the game two months in when I managed to roll the sanpan rice hat from those gift stacks and getting the best tier0 psyblade for my chua esper on the first and only gold rank defense mission I played.

The psyblade looked like a snowflake made of knives and was awesome.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I liked how it was always trying to straddle the line between edgy/cool and self aware at how silly that was.

Like when you level up for the first time "Oh Sh**! You leveled up!" I loved that

Yeah, I liked a lot of the style of it and such.

But they completely screwed it up with their focus on being super hardcore to where even normal dungeon bosses had silly patterns and were tricky to dodge.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Wildstar completely spoiled me for other MMOs. I loved the focus on movement in combat that the telegraph system created. I think if they had managed to find the right balance between expeditions, adventures and dungeons that things wouldn't have been so daunting to new players. There were definitely people who just wanted to be able to stand still to the point that even basic mobs having 1-2 telegraphs in their skillset made the game too stressful. I'm not sure if anything could have been done for them.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Both.

I've wondered how much Steam sales impact MMOs.

F2P vs those 5 games I got for 20 bucks. I give more attention to games I've actually spent money even if it was 2 dollars.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Wildstar completely spoiled me for other MMOs. I loved the focus on movement in combat that the telegraph system created. I think if they had managed to find the right balance between expeditions, adventures and dungeons that things wouldn't have been so daunting to new players. There were definitely people who just wanted to be able to stand still to the point that even basic mobs having 1-2 telegraphs in their skillset made the game too stressful. I'm not sure if anything could have been done for them.

I loved the movement in this game and it was a big part of what made the game fun when I tried the open beta. I ended up quitting because my 150 ms ping and lag spikes that occurred at times meant that I ended up getting hit by everything. The game didn't have latency compensation in its netcode, so what you saw on your screen was not what the server saw and the game went with the server. Unlike FFXIV which also has this issue, the game had very tight timings on a lot of mechanics that you had to dodge. I ended up running the first scenario and dungeon, realized that any challenging content was pretty much unplayable and didn't pay for a second month. This was a real shame because the game felt like it had a lot of promise when I quit (despite how it ended up turning out). The movement is something that felt really good and something I wish that other games would copy.