As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    It sucks that it took blowback on a terribly handled 'investigation' to make that happen. They've ultimately done the right thing but my trust in GDQ has dropped.

I'd prefer that they're thorough in any sort of investigation, personally. Banning someone because of hearsay is so much worse.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It sucks that it took blowback on a terribly handled 'investigation' to make that happen. They've ultimately done the right thing but my trust in GDQ has dropped.

I'd prefer that they're thorough in any sort of investigation, personally. Banning someone because of hearsay is so much worse.
    Describing Nazi rhetoric, which calls for the death of others, as "differing opinions" is alarming as fuck. Like that's a separate matter from the poorly handled investigation. An investigation which, by the way, was incorrect to say that all of the comments were 'private' in nature; plenty of them happened in public and were verifiable.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I have absolutely no idea what happened or who said what at what time. All I know is that you came into the thread and mentioned boycotting GDQ for some reason. All I see is that you called for a boycott at 10:17pm and by 12:00am they removed him. Looking at Twitter they mentioned the investigation 19 hours ago, and removed him 10 hours ago. So 9 hours from start to finish is way better than you're giving them credit for.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Describing Nazi rhetoric, which calls for the death of others, as "differing opinions" is alarming as fuck. Like that's a separate matter from the poorly handled investigation. An investigation which, by the way, was incorrect to say that all of the comments were 'private' in nature; plenty of them happened in public and were verifiable.

Check out this post in the other thread, seems like they are explicitly saying this is not just differing opinions.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

i think part of the issue is that they weren't thorough. they did, at best, the bare minimum and followed it up with "We're not doing anything about it right now, but if someone provides evidence that we can't ignore then we'll be forced to act". did things move fast? yes, but from the little i've seen it does seem that it was largely due to people forcing their hand.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Did it take blowback, or did it take additional evidence more convincing than "here's a screenshot of a discord chat that may or may not have been photoshopped", a classic technique of alt right trolls for harassing innocent people?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    You know, from the outside looking in it is really hard to feel sorry for your side when you microjudge things by saying shit like “well, they didn’t do that right thing FAST enough for us!”

I will never deny it must be hard to deal with people who aren’t sensitive to your lifestyle, but if you hyperdoubt everyone and question even the right thing being done because you are super scared they secretly hate you, you both set yourself up for misery, and make it hard for people to take you seriously.

I am sure something COULD be afoot, but just accept the right decision was made and be happy it went at least that well.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i have no idea what's going on and i'll definitely not boycott anything based on this thread.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Check out this post in the other thread, seems like they are explicitly saying this is not just differing opinions.
    They are now. They deleted their initial tweet on the matter which did declare this as "differing opinions" (you can see in my post on the previous page there is a tweet that no longer works).

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    It's not that they didn't work fast enough, they did an insufficient investigation and went "welp, nothing we can do without more evidence!" and only acted when other people forced evidence on them.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    kime wrote: »

They are now. They deleted their initial tweet on the matter which did declare this as "differing opinions" (you can see in my post on the previous page there is a tweet that no longer works).

They're not a corporation that spends hours and hours crafting a carefully worded statement. It's possible they made a mistake, deleted the mistake, and corrected the mistake, man. I agree with you on pretty much all of this but you're a little overenthusiastic about them being sympathizers or something when in reality it just feels like they're ordinary people that got caught up in a crappy situation and dealt with it as best as they could.

Goose! on
    Deans wrote: »
    It's not that they didn't work fast enough, they did an insufficient investigation and went "welp, nothing we can do without more evidence!" and only acted when other people forced evidence on them.

It really just seems like we're interpreting what happened yesterday completely differently. I'm content with how things were handled, and I'm glad I'll be able to watch GDQ in the future without reservations from this.

Steam profile
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    They're a charity organization. Expecting them to have people on the pay roll who can spend hours investigating a remark from someone is just too much.

They're going to need people making allegations to do the leg work for them. They don't have the resources for that.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Boy, the last page here has been a real rollercoaster. So, are we doing this boycott or what? Something hyper egregious apparently happened and then was walked back but it wasn't walked back hard enough or for the right reasons in a swift enough time frame or what... like, it's a speedrunning thread, but if something is going big enough to be like 'yo fuck this entire thing' do we need to speedrun our posts? How about some context? Some insight into the matter. Twitter is limited to 280 characters of minimal nuance, but we can write tens of thousands of characters here.

AGDQ isn't for another month and a half, there was no ticking clock preventing a more informed and thorough sharing of information.

I'm glad people here took the time to dig into it and share with the class. I'm glad that they seem to be doing the right thing, and I hope it's for the right reasons, and off hand I'd say that was pretty swiftly done.

So... subjectively reasonable outcome achieved?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Kai_San wrote: »
    You know, from the outside looking in it is really hard to feel sorry for your side when you microjudge things by saying shit like “well, they didn’t do that right thing FAST enough for us!”

I will never deny it must be hard to deal with people who aren’t sensitive to your lifestyle, but if you hyperdoubt everyone and question even the right thing being done because you are super scared they secretly hate you, you both set yourself up for misery, and make it hard for people to take you seriously.

I am sure something COULD be afoot, but just accept the right decision was made and be happy it went at least that well.

Just so you're aware the person in question was talking about "the Jewish question." and other shit like that

In other words they are at least flagrantly antisemitic and probably a Nazi. "Doesn't agree with your lifestyle" doesn't exactly cover it.

Phoenix-D on
    The lifestyle comment is seriously wrong.

camo_sig2.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    For all the good work the organization has done they get the benefit of the doubt from me. And have already rectified it so they are fine in my book.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    For those of us that don't follow the speed running community that closely:

Kotaku: Games Done Quick 'Indefinitely' Splits With Speedrunners Over Sexist And Transphobic Comments

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    That article answers a lot of questions I had, thank you for sharing it.
    R. White Goose confirmed to Kotaku last night that he will not be able to participate in future GDQ events, though it’s worth noting that he’s been a divisive figure for a while now and hasn’t done a run at a GDQ since 2014.

“I completely understand GDQ’s decision,” he said in a Twitter DM. “Those screenshots show conversations which contain hurtful concepts, ideas, and conspiracy theories which I have come to fully and completely reject. What I’ve said in the past is indefensible and inexcusable. I completely understand why people are hurt and angry, and the reaction to my comments is absolutely justified.”

That's probably the best response I could have imagined. It doesn't forgive past transgressions, but it's nice to have someone called out for being shitty and for a change have them say 'y'know what? Yeah, that was pretty shitty.'

Or it's just perfomative and said in the hopes of it all going away sooner rather than later.

I don't really care either way, especially for a runner who hasn't been at the event for nearly half a decade, but it's a nice (small) thing to see all the same.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    R. White Goose confirmed to Kotaku last night that he will not be able to participate in future GDQ events, though it’s worth noting that he’s been a divisive figure for a while now and hasn’t done a run at a GDQ since 2014.

“I completely understand GDQ’s decision,” he said in a Twitter DM. “Those screenshots show conversations which contain hurtful concepts, ideas, and conspiracy theories which I have come to fully and completely reject. What I’ve said in the past is indefensible and inexcusable. I completely understand why people are hurt and angry, and the reaction to my comments is absolutely justified.”

That's probably the best response I could have imagined. It doesn't forgive past transgressions, but it's nice to have someone called out for being shitty and for a change have them say 'y'know what? Yeah, that was pretty shitty.'

Or it's just perfomative and said in the hopes of it all going away sooner rather than later.

I don't really care either way, especially for a runner who hasn't been at the event for nearly half a decade, but it's a nice (small) thing to see all the same.

The other dude was currently scheduled as a runner and, ah, clearly still doesn't get it.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I believe when he said that was like two weeks ago, so he's just flat out lying about having learned anything. His fellow shit goblin's "I made more followers from this than an AGDQ run" is probably the more realistic response.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I believe when he said that was like two weeks ago, so he's just flat out lying about having learned anything. His fellow shit goblin's "I made more followers from this than an AGDQ run" is probably the more realistic response.

Less really lying I think and more mocking this:
    Sterica wrote: »
    Did cyberdemon531 have a Come to Jesus moment in the past year or something?

kotaku glosses over that the speedrunner named Andrea mentioned in the article leading the charge is cyberdemon531, banned from GDQ for wearing a maga hat and has a history of racism and antisemitism

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    They're a charity organization. Expecting them to have people on the pay roll who can spend hours investigating a remark from someone is just too much.

They're going to need people making allegations to do the leg work for them. They don't have the resources for that.
    This wasn't the Mueller probe into Trump's collusion with Russia.

This was "did some jackhole say hate shit?" The answer was yes, and he did it in the open, and it was absurd for them to have declared they found "no evidence" when it was indeed in the open.

BlueBlue wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Less really lying I think and more mocking this:
    Sterica wrote: »
    Did cyberdemon531 have a Come to Jesus moment in the past year or something?

kotaku glosses over that the speedrunner named Andrea mentioned in the article leading the charge is cyberdemon531, banned from GDQ for wearing a maga hat and has a history of racism and antisemitism

Yeah kotaku glosses over her being upset GDQ didn't take her report seriously at first, but based on the fact she's been banned for similar comments and ass holery I feel thats perfectly fine not to trust a shit person like her?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

This was "did some jackhole say hate shit?" The answer was yes, and he did it in the open, and it was absurd for them to have declared they found "no evidence" when it was indeed in the open.
    By "he said it in the open" wasn't it "he said it in a private discord that someone posted screenshots of"? You'd have to get access to the discord to verify them.

cB557 wrote: »

By "he said it in the open" wasn't it "he said it in a private discord that someone posted screenshots of"? You'd have to get access to the discord to verify them.

Sent to them by someone also banned for similar comments and behaviors. So not only was it a private discord it was a private discord convo sent by someone of bad reputation.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Did GDQ cite the reporter being problematic?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

They said they didn't have enough evidence, so I'm going to go with "yes"

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Or they couldn't get access to the discord.

Polaritie wrote: »

My point is the article has the history of the person who reported but GDQ only specifically said ever that screenshots aren't valid evidence. They never said the source of the screenshots were the problem.

Also, GDQ isn't a large corporation, or even a small company. They aren't a public agency sworn to certain standards and behaviors. It's a bunch of people who give their time to make a charity event. They have lives and jobs, and there aren't that many of them to begin with. They try to do their best and are under constant scrutiny and people are shouting shit at them all year round. Both sides accuse them of all sorts of stuff, parts of the SR community keeps posting videos on yt complaining about how they ruined speedrunning and/or don't get it at all, people say that the Cancer Foundation is a scam, so on, so forth. And still the weather the shitstorms, and still they keep making the events long past when most of us would have given up years ago. Shit, most of us couldn't make the first GDQ happen, let alone so many of them. Events are fucking hell to make.

Rest assure that they don't owe us anything, in fact we owe them for providing a fun way to donate some money to nice charities and feeling better about ourselves. Sure, there are other gaming related routes to charity, but none so big, so hard to make and so non-profit.

It think it's the utmost goosery to come here waving a banner and shouting to the heavens how we must never ever watch them again, because it took them 8 hours to decide if they would ban a couple of assholes after they said actually horrible things on their own discord and that after some other past shit-flinger came up with the reports.

camo_sig2.png

My point is the article has the history of the person who reported but GDQ only specifically said ever that screenshots aren't valid evidence. They never said the source of the screenshots were the problem.
    I mean, screenshots not being valid evidence is also true. I could make it look like you said some heinous shit trivially easily. If the place it was said was inaccessible, such as in a private discord, it would be very difficult to disprove.

cB557 wrote: »

I mean, screenshots not being valid evidence is also true. I could make it look like you said some heinous shit trivially easily. If the place it was said was inaccessible, such as in a private discord, it would be very difficult to disprove.

mt56vt9dkhjn.png

Wow, let's start the countdown on when you should be banned! :P

(And this took like 30 seconds.)

Steam profile
  • hushhush Registered User regular
    If you're concerned with anything they did beyond the first tweet, which was categorically wrong to say (you can fuck right off forever with that both sides/different opinions horseshit), I think you're asking for a lot from them. Beyond that tweet, which they deleted because they, too, realized that what they said was actually dumb as hell, I think they handled this pretty well.

They said they were investigating, they were able to confirm that said person is indeed human garbage, and they excised the disease in a quick and painless manner.

Would all of this have occurred had they not royally screwed up their initial investigation, I don't know, but beyond asking for MAYBE an additional apology for how shit the first statement was, I don't see anything else they did wrong.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Do you like your speed runs long? How about really long? Or how about the Really Really Long Athon? https://horaro.org/rrlat2/rrlat2

twitch.tv/speedgaming3 It started 12 hours ago with FFXII Order of Ambrosia% (beat the game while obtaining the "Order of Ambrosia" clan rank).

The run is being performed by the WR holder with a time of 23:54:46

The marathon runs for 2 weeks.

And the shortest run is Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life Marriage% Nami, clocking in at 1 hour.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Do you like your speed runs long? How about really long? Or how about the Really Really Long Athon? https://horaro.org/rrlat2/rrlat2

twitch.tv/speedgaming3 It started 12 hours ago with FFXII Order of Ambrosia% (beat the game while obtaining the "Order of Ambrosia" clan rank).

The run is being performed by the WR holder with a time of 23:54:46

The marathon runs for 2 weeks.

And the shortest run is Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life Marriage% Nami, clocking in at 1 hour.

Wait, are they doing a speedrun that includes Yiazmat? That's like what, half the run? :rotate:

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Yiazmat is something like 6~ hours? May be longer for vanilla

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Coin Op Classic is live

Lots of arcade game 1CCs/speedruns/score attempts this weekend, I got 3 games later tonight.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Got confirmation for a 2-week vacation at the start of next year. I wonder what I'm gonna do during that second week, hm..

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Coin Op Classic is live

Lots of arcade game 1CCs/speedruns/score attempts this weekend, I got 3 games later tonight.

Good luck, dude!

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.