As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I've tried googling, but that hog has me stumped. Is that a PAX Unplugged equivalent of the Hot Dog Fairy or the Drop Bear?

(I assume the rest of the joke is just that he's surprised to have been detected even though he's wearing a very gaudy getup.)

Edit: To be clear, I had already read the newspost and so knew it was Warframe.

dennis on
  • Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    dennis wrote: »
    I've tried googling, but that hog has me stumped. Is that a PAX Unplugged equivalent of the Hot Dog Fairy or the Drop Bear?

(I assume the rest of the joke is just that he's surprised to have been detected even though he's wearing a very gaudy getup.)

It's a reference to Warframe. A FtP hack and slash RPG where you play as an alien robot ninja. I think you can get familiars in that game (it's been a long time since I've played) so that's probably what the hog is.

ironhead on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That's a kubrow, a future hybrid of dog and... other stuff.
    And the game is Warframe.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I was gonna guess Destiny.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The game is Warframe, where you are a magical sci fi space ninja in a post-apocalyptic Solar System where you fight an empire of degredating clones, a Megacorp Prosperity Church, and Not-Flood that are technically mutagenic nanomachines (which is why they can infest machines as well as people)

The beast is a Kubrow, which is actually a marsupial monotreme (they hatch from eggs) the Orokin Empire that existed had a... thing... when it came to genetics and breeding. Best non-spoilery description of them I can give is Crystal Spires and Togas meets Brave New World with a dash of Imperium of Man.

And the true endgame of Warframe is Fashionframe; not just murdering hordes of enemies but looking fabulous while doing so. Add in some missions where you are technically suppose to stealth and you get the comic.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    In particular it's a reference to a Spy mission where the goal is to get to a locked room that has a data console to hack and to do so undetected while in that room. It's not quite a stealth mission as it's only for those rooms and you're free to destroy camera and enemies if you're fast but it's still feels silly to do all this when you're sometimes controlling a warframe so heavy it causes shockwaves on landing while wearing a scarf/cape made of flames and wielding a cannon ball style cannon while accompanied by a large and brightly colored space cat among other loadouts.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    The beast is a Kubrow, which is actually a marsupial (they hatch from eggs) the Orokin Empire that existed had a... thing... when it came to genetics and breeding. Best non-spoilery description of them I can give is Crystal Spires and Togas meets Brave New World with a dash of Imperium of Man.

Marsupials have live births like placentals. Monotremes are the mammals that hatch from eggs.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    i-DtkmC3B.jpg

Warframe predates Destiny by a year. And considering the backlash a couple of the Destiny 2 updates have gotten vs. Warframe consistently being one of the most played games on Steam, is probably going to outlast it too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Throwing it out there for those skeptical or uninterested in Warframe, they recently released a new expansion (for free) that's the size of an entire videogame, and in the past removed a monetization model they were testing because it was too effective at getting people to pay money. Digital Extremes are paragons.

Invertin on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Argh. I should have been more specific. I read the newspost right away so I knew it was Warframe. As I said, it was just the hog that was stumping me.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    The game is Warframe, where you are a magical sci fi space ninja in a post-apocalyptic Solar System where you fight an empire of degredating clones, a Megacorp Prosperity Church, and Not-Flood that are technically mutagenic nanomachines (which is why they can infest machines as well as people)

The beast is a Kubrow, which is actually a marsupial monotreme (they hatch from eggs) the Orokin Empire that existed had a... thing... when it came to genetics and breeding. Best non-spoilery description of them I can give is Crystal Spires and Togas meets Brave New World with a dash of Imperium of Man.

And the true endgame of Warframe is Fashionframe; not just murdering hordes of enemies but looking fabulous while doing so. Add in some missions where you are technically suppose to stealth and you get the comic.

While we're tropin' it up, I will note that from what has been revealed so far, most of the Orokin (there were a handful of sympathetic exceptions) were as close to decadent quasi-immortal utter bastards as you can get without actually being Elves. Most of their creations ended up turning on them, and the general opinion among the fandom/playerbase is that they totally had it coming.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    This comic reminds me of the damn deer in Skyrim. You try to sneak around in the countryside and 90% of the time you're detected. Why? Because the deer saw you.

• Options
    KredKred Registered User regular
    So, is Warframe primarily single player or is it basically the same as Destiny?

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Kred wrote: »
    So, is Warframe primarily single player or is it basically the same as Destiny?

You can play solo or up to teams of four.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    i-DtkmC3B.jpg

Warframe predates Destiny by a year. And considering the backlash a couple of the Destiny 2 updates have gotten vs. Warframe consistently being one of the most played games on Steam, is probably going to outlast it too.

Yes, but that's not why I was going to guess Destiny. I was going to guess Destiny because Mike is completely preoccupied with that game and that series, and they have done way more Destiny comics than anything else. I think their Destiny comics outnumber their WoW comics.

• Options
    KaitensatsumaKaitensatsuma Registered User regular
    I haven't logged on the forums for over three years I think but had to for the comic to do the most nerdy thing:: Corrections

Being on the Sensors isn't the same as setting off an alarm in a spy mission, you're still good. But watch out for those sneaky cameras and Eximus enemies.

• Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    This comic reminds me of the damn deer in Skyrim. You try to sneak around in the countryside and 90% of the time you're detected. Why? Because the deer saw you.

Thanks for this connection. I haven't dipped into Warframe yet, so I was missing the punchline of the comic.

• Options

While we're tropin' it up, I will note that from what has been revealed so far, most of the Orokin (there were a handful of sympathetic exceptions) were as close to decadent quasi-immortal utter bastards as you can get without actually being Elves. Most of their creations ended up turning on them, and the general opinion among the fandom/playerbase is that they totally had it coming.

I was always thinking of them as like "Gladiator's Rome", they even seem to be somewhat styled after Greek statues.

The Grineer remind me a bit of the Imperium from Warhammer 40k, but come out wrong, Corpus of a combination of Jews in Space but also TV Evangelicals, especially with the Nef Anyo's "Church of Profit" (The Prophet of Profit) and the Infested are....well, sealed evil in a can.

• Options
    Invertin wrote: »
    Throwing it out there for those skeptical or uninterested in Warframe, they recently released a new expansion (for free) that's the size of an entire videogame, and in the past removed a monetization model they were testing because it was too effective at getting people to pay money. Digital Extremes are paragons.

And yet people still complain about how building a frame takes 3 days, and what, how dare they sell Mod Packs which....honestly you'll have a dozen of most of those mods each after some time playing regularly.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

I wish they'd axe the Warframe slot/Weapon inventory limit, though. Kind of annoying to grind for a weapon or frame only to realize you're out of slots. I guess there's some kind of platinum trading economy among the players, but if it's that easy to bypass, maybe just get rid of the slot limit/microtransaction completely?

To be clear, I love Warframe, and think it's a great example of F2P done right. That limit just bugs me, though, because I like to collect stuff.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    i-DtkmC3B.jpg

Destiny's still plenty successful in its own right, it's not like Warframe also being successful makes that any less the case.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I wish they'd axe the Warframe slot/Weapon inventory limit, though. Kind of annoying to grind for a weapon or frame only to realize you're out of slots. I guess there's some kind of platinum trading economy among the players, but if it's that easy to bypass, maybe just get rid of the slot limit/microtransaction completely?

To be clear, I love Warframe, and think it's a great example of F2P done right. That limit just bugs me, though, because I like to collect stuff.

Nope, that's an important part of the economy in most games. You can pay in time, effort, and/or money; as long as the company gets the last of those from someone, it's good and healthy for the game as a whole to let those with more time than money do the grinding to produce virtual goods for who can't or don't want to put in the same amount of time and just want to plunk down cash for stuff. That's not bypassing the economy, that's participating in it.

IMO, it's not an accident that the only thing that can't be (directly) acquired by grinding - only by paying plat - is more slots. That's there precisely to get people like you (and everyone else too) to "pay" for the game, either by giving DE cash or grinding for stuff to trade to someone who did. And even if you don't like it, but do it anyway, that means it's working.

Commander Zoom on