As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    There comes a point in every dad's life, that they have to explain what Warhammer is all about. That point came on Saturday when my 5 (almost 6) year old daughter and I had 10 mins to wait for the bus and spent it at the local GW store.

She had a lovely time walking around the shop, looking at (painted demo) models. She kept on asking when she would be allowed to play, and this was reinforced by one of the store workers organising a game between some lads with chocolate objective markers (if they held the objectives for 2 turns, they kept the chocolate).

Her eyes eventually rested on a painted Morathi; "wow she looks so cool daddy; is she a goodie?" "errr......"

Suddenly the while Warhammer for kids thing makes sense to me. It's not for kids to pick up on their own, it's for parents who share the universe with their kids (without have social services called).

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Those Battleforce boxes look solid... I need to see those price points. The SM one would be a solid addition to my growing Deathwatch force.

I believe the leak had them at 170 usd and like 120 quid or something like that?

£100 I think, so $120ish?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Those Battleforce boxes look solid... I need to see those price points. The SM one would be a solid addition to my growing Deathwatch force.

I believe the leak had them at 170 usd and like 120 quid or something like that?

Isn’t that close to the cost of a waithknight alone?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    115 on the US site

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    There comes a point in every dad's life, that they have to explain what Warhammer is all about. That point came on Saturday when my 5 (almost 6) year old daughter and I had 10 mins to wait for the bus and spent it at the local GW store.

She had a lovely time walking around the shop, looking at (painted demo) models. She kept on asking when she would be allowed to play, and this was reinforced by one of the store workers organising a game between some lads with chocolate objective markers (if they held the objectives for 2 turns, they kept the chocolate).

Her eyes eventually rested on a painted Morathi; "wow she looks so cool daddy; is she a goodie?" "errr......"

Suddenly the while Warhammer for kids thing makes sense to me. It's not for kids to pick up on their own, it's for parents who share the universe with their kids (without have social services called).

DSCN9336-03.jpg

Look, she's on a pegasus, just like She-Ra!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Tastyfish wrote: »

There is no way they sell that for $120 usd. They retail for 200-250. Likely be sold for 200$ and you get the commander/HQ for "free".

edit: I am a severe pessimist.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    All the DI primaris have their shoulder pads molded onto the arms, unfortunalty. You'd need to do some cutting to replace them. I'd chop the original shoulder off at the bicep, and then use a wad of greenstuff for a new shoulder and put the DW pad overtop of that.

Ahhh, so are the replacement pads just hollow on the back?

Something you may want to try is making a "Blue Stuff" stamp. I wanted the Dark Angels insignia on the shoulderpads of my DI primaris, so I took a stick of blue stuff and pressed it against the a Dark Angels upgrade kit pad and then let it cool making a very nice stamp. Then i used it to put a little bit of green stuff on the shoulders of those DI primaris. Here's a picture of the result:
    *snipped image of spaese muhreen*
    The mini on the right uses the shoulderpad from GW and on the left is my recreation w/the blue stuff stamp, which the sloppy paint job doesn't really help. Below are some of the extra pads I made. Also, this was the first time I'd tried to do this process, so all in all it's not too bad and could save you a ton of money and allow some customization where you wouldn't easily get it otherwise.

I was gonna bring the word of a new idea for making your own molds, but @italianranma beat me to it by almost 24hours.
    this is why I'm not an engineer I guess. I'm thinking I need a $1500+ 3d printer of my own when there is this stuff for like 20$...

I'm thinking of a game plan with a bit more bluestuff plastic, a few vise clamps, and blocks of wood, you could press a pretty detailed mold out of it. Just use an exacto knife or a surgical scalpel to cut the mold in half, then use either the epoxy clay or a resin and do it again.
    Maybe use enough blue stuff to make like 5 castings of limbs instead of 1 at a time. Up front cost might be a bit much as you learn to make a good mold and then make each mold, but then you would be able to forever cast apocalypse army after apocalypse army

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm gonna have to go the recast route, because it looks like the old Inquisition Valkyrie Doors and Symbols kit has been oop forever and is rarer than a Leprechaun riding a Unicorn while drinking Crystal Pepsi out of the Holy Grail directly on top of where they buried Jimmy Hoffa.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What is the best way to remove shoulder iconography? I have that Brother-Captain Thassarius but I need to remove the Ultramarine emblem so I can wolf him up. Was thinking of using a dremel.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    What is the best way to remove shoulder iconography? I have that Brother-Captain Thassarius but I need to remove the Ultramarine emblem so I can wolf him up. Was thinking of using a dremel.

A careful hand and a file or xacto blade

Brainleech wrote: »

alternatively; an xacto knife, some high grain sand paper, and a styptic

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Blackstone Fortress arrived! So many things in the box. But why are all the cards different sizes and non-standard? How am I supposed to sleeve these?

Gonna start building the models tonight.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

alternatively; an xacto knife, some high grain sand paper, and a styptic

Chainsaw

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    I was gonna bring the word of a new idea for making your own molds, but italianranma beat me to it by almost 24hours.
    this is why I'm not an engineer I guess. I'm thinking I need a $1500+ 3d printer of my own when there is this stuff for like 20$...

I'm thinking of a game plan with a bit more bluestuff plastic, a few vise clamps, and blocks of wood, you could press a pretty detailed mold out of it. Just use an exacto knife or a surgical scalpel to cut the mold in half, then use either the epoxy clay or a resin and do it again.
    Maybe use enough blue stuff to make like 5 castings of limbs instead of 1 at a time. Up front cost might be a bit much as you learn to make a good mold and then make each mold, but then you would be able to forever cast apocalypse army after apocalypse army

Yeah there is definitely a science behind it. I tried just using two stackable cups and my own muscle to make a mold of my Dark Eldar Darklance heavy weapon arms, and the results weren't impressive. I could definitely try to set up something more professional with the wood clamps, and also making vent lines etc. for the excess. I'm sure there are some better youtube videos to watch, but I've got a huge surplus of models to paint first.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    You know what’s worse than OOP forgeworld models? OOP forgeworld brass etching. Not gonna find a China recaster for that stuff.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Blackstone Fortress arrived! So many things in the box. But why are all the cards different sizes and non-standard? How am I supposed to sleeve these?

Gonna start building the models tonight.

Depending on the sizes there may still be sleeves available. Fantasy Flight makes some irregular-but-not sized ones for board games, and they're probably not the only ones doing it:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fantasy-flight-supply/

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, all sorts of sleeve sizes are available. https://www.sleeveyourgames.com sells sets by game.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So Death Guard on Vigilus? I wonder who they will fight in the next box set.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.

Pre-heresy death guard somehow

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

A bunch of them got "lost in the warp" 10,000 years ago, were spat out near Vigilus, and are now equal parts incredibly confused at the current state of affairs in the galaxy, and incredibly disgusted at what has happened to their chapter.

Actually a bunch of pre-heresy dudes showing up that belong to a chapter that fell to Chaos might be an interesting story. How would the Imperium deal with loyalist members of a chapter that they have since branded Excommunicate Traitoris? I'm assuming that in normal circumstances they would just quietly be executed, but if there were enough of them, and things on Vigilus are as dire as they are, it might be a tougher decision.

A bunch of them got "lost in the warp" 10,000 years ago, were spat out near Vigilus, and are now equal parts incredibly confused at the current state of affairs in the galaxy, and incredibly disgusted at what has happened to their chapter.

Actually a bunch of pre-heresy dudes showing up that belong to a chapter that fell to Chaos might be an interesting story. How would the Imperium deal with loyalist members of a chapter that they have since branded Excommunicate Traitoris? I'm assuming that in normal circumstances they would just quietly be executed, but if there were enough of them, and things on Vigilus are as dire as they are, it might be a tougher decision.

pre-heresy death guard would likely immediately just team up with current death guard because they fucking hate all the other chapters that much

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The usual lore answer is you show up at the Deathwatch's door as a Blackshield and they don't ask any questions. For an entire army it would depend entirely on the philosophy of whatever Inquisitor is on site (aka the whims of the author, lol).

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Too many Death____

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg

I feel many of the loyal traitor marines units either surrendered or quietly slipped into unknown parts of space to help the imperium or lie low and see where it was going
    As for those that surrendered death or they were made into new chapters in the chaos of the Great Scouring and the Reformation and sent off

Except for the Dark Angels. They were are the most loyal and didn't lose half their number in a terrible apocalyptic battle on their home planet.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I feel many of the loyal traitor marines units either surrendered or quietly slipped into unknown parts of space to help the imperium or lie low and see where it was going
    As for those that surrendered death or they were made into new chapters in the chaos of the Great Scouring and the Reformation and sent off

Most of the loyalist elements of the Traitor Legions were culled at Istvaan III. Units that the Legions couldn't guarantee would go along with Horus all got front row tickets to the Virus Bombing show.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »

Most of the loyalist elements of the Traitor Legions were culled at Istvaan III. Units that the Legions couldn't guarantee would go along with Horus all got front row tickets to the Virus Bombing show.

#JusticeForLoken

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    Hoary as it is loyalists from traitor chapters is one of my favourite tropes. The short where Dantioch wrecks his fellow Iron Warriors is excellent and I have a special affection for the Word Bearers sniper who decides to kill Lorgar too.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I like the premise of the latest Vigilus story.

Oh cool, the Space Marines are gonna fight with us! Oh No, please don't choose me for your crazy suicide mission!

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »

Depending on when during they took their Warp detour these new guys could have dropped out when the Heresy was in the 'Horus will create a new Empire, with blackjack and hookers!' phase. They might not be fans of the current focus on pus and human sacrifices. Word Bearers and Emperor's Children were the only two legions that went maximum chaos right away.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm starting to feel really bummed out about the state of Dark Eldar at the moment, they're definitely very strong but they're also boring. There's fuck all synergy in the list (most Dark Eldar units benefit more from Craftworld psykers than any other native unit!) and most of the Codex is borderline unusable. When was the last time anyone saw a Court model or one of the beast units?

Lists wind up feeling almost identical because they just flat out don't have alternative options, especially when you start to run into stuff like the rule of three as well. I'm finding myself branching more and more into Harlequins and Craftworlds just because it feels like they both have meaningful differences in how to play available to them.

Burnage on
    Burnage wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel really bummed out about the state of Dark Eldar at the moment, they're definitely very strong but they're also boring. There's fuck all synergy in the list (most Dark Eldar units benefit more from Craftworld psykers than any other native unit!) and most of the Codex is borderline unusable. When was the last time anyone saw a Court model or one of the beast units?

Lists wind up feeling almost identical because they just flat out don't have alternative options, especially when you start to run into stuff like the rule of three as well. I'm finding myself branching more and more into Harlequins and Craftworlds just because it feels like they both meaningful differences in how to play available to them.

If I may venture an unqualified opinion, I think it has to do with the overall structure of the game itself. Compare to Warmachine where there are a variety of buffing vectors and unit synergy between things like warcasters and arcnodes, or shield walls and lines of sight. Of course part of the reason those work so well in Warmachine is because of the comparatively lower model counts. I just don't think there's enough tactical depth in Warhammer outside of the deployment phase to allow for such diversity of unit types. Everything seems to be distilled into either available turns of killing power, or how many attacks it can soak per point.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    honovere wrote: »
    I like the premise of the latest Vigilus story.

Oh cool, the Space Marines are gonna fight with us! Oh No, please don't choose me for your crazy suicide mission!

It's not exactly Warhammer but tangentially related. If you read the book Black Hawk Down, you'll see that when in the presence of Delta Force Commandos, the Army Rangers found they lost some of their usual initiative. There was a sense of 'oh these heroes will get us out of this mess' to which the commandos then reminded the rangers "No, we can't do it for you. You need to also get yourselves out of this mess." Of course things might have been substantially different with 19 extra organs and power armor.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

Lists wind up feeling almost identical because they just flat out don't have alternative options, especially when you start to run into stuff like the rule of three as well. I'm finding myself branching more and more into Harlequins and Craftworlds just because it feels like they both meaningful differences in how to play available to them.

If I may venture an unqualified opinion, I think it has to do with the overall structure of the game itself. Compare to Warmachine where there are a variety of buffing vectors and unit synergy between things like warcasters and arcnodes, or shield walls and lines of sight. Of course part of the reason those work so well in Warmachine is because of the comparatively lower model counts. I just don't think there's enough tactical depth in Warhammer outside of the deployment phase to allow for such diversity of unit types. Everything seems to be distilled into either available turns of killing power, or how many attacks it can soak per point.

Having played both Warmachine and 40k, Warmachine lists are just as cookie cutter.

You see it in other games, I think it’s simply a side effect of both the internet allowing analysis of a list or book to an incredible degree, and a large amount of models not really designed to be played a competitive level.

I suspect that codexes are designed much like magic the gathering sets. There’s a handful of cards (units in this case) actually meant to be used competetivly and a lot of, for lack of a better word, chaff, designed really for fluffy players and never intended to be used competetivly.

What this means is realistically, your putting out a set of 200 odd cards (or 20 odd units) but only really have to worry about balancing a handful of them.

Of course I might be giving them too much credit.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    A photo of the new imperial fists battleforce box has popped up...

cozDxjlMwr5T1cV3BWSY5PnPuvy1o4K_TQBtd6KDzx0.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s=1388bcbf3ec64d2d769bf2dd193bcb59da685b97

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Powerfists just for Fists.

website_header.jpg
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It always seemed weird to me that Imperial fists had no bonus to power fist weapons.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    The bolter drill thing they have makes sense though

Lists wind up feeling almost identical because they just flat out don't have alternative options, especially when you start to run into stuff like the rule of three as well. I'm finding myself branching more and more into Harlequins and Craftworlds just because it feels like they both have meaningful differences in how to play available to them.

I don't know i play a wych army with kabal support and use them as part of the ynnari but i agree it feels so wrong with a farseer

The stuff they are showing on warhammer tv about the emperor's spears and how the book bundle is out of stock. They really should do a print on demand thing with waterslides

This discussion has been closed.