As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    AbsoluteZero where are you located near?

Mpls / St Paul area.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And the offer is signed.

Is this what adulting feels like?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    And the offer is signed.

Not quite. When the dishwasher/water heater/AC/furnace/laundry machines/toilet/oven/fridge need to be replaced is when the real home adulting starts.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Woke up at 4:40 to get ready for work. Went down to the basement to get something from the pantry for lunch, notice the floor drain has water an inch from the top. Dammit. The line to the street is backed up. It can't just be left that way all day. Have to wait until Home Depot opens at 6 to rent a drain auger. If I'm waiting until 6 I might as well wait until 7 to help get the kids ready for school and daycare. Text boss, go back to sleep.

Wake up at 7. Nickie says she doesn't feel well. Turns out what I had Friday night wasn't food poisoning but a nasty stomach bug because now she has it. I start getting the kids ready. She runs to the bathroom, gets sick, before I can tell her not to flush the toilet, fwoosh...

The water is now coming out of the floor drain in the basement. Frantically drag everything on the floor as far out of reach of it as possible. Shut the water off. Throw food in both the kids and drop them off, drive to Home Depot, drag the 200+ pound auger down to the basement, start running it through barf and shit water...

No idea what the clog was. We have root intrusion around 75-80 feet down the line from the access in the basement, that's usually where it is. This time I hit something around 50 feet and it cleared right away. Maybe ice. Since building codes in 1921 didn't seem to exist and they tied the runoff drainage into the gray/black water sewer pipes and ran them all out to the street in one pipe.

Don't buy an old house. And if you do, DEMAND a sewer/drainage inspection where they scope it with a camera as a condition. And then still don't buy an old house.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    And the offer is signed.

Not quite. When the dishwasher & water heater & AC & furnace & laundry machines & toilet & oven & fridge need to be replaced is when the real home adulting starts.

That feels closer.

Usually while you have to hand dig a large hole in your property somewhere in order to scratch build a load bearing structure you've never heard of because something is on fire and/or gushing water.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Bleh, major decision time coming up soon. If we're going to stay in the house long-term, it needs like $30k of stuff (replacement driveway + replacement windows + probably replacement gutters) to make it better. Moving sucks balls, so we'll probably do it, but ouch.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    So, I'm now staring at the start of an honest to goodness actual offer for a house.

Is it supposed to be this scary?

The scariest part is when you have the keys and you "own" it.

"Here's some crushing responsibility, don't fuck it up!"

It’s like having a kid. Once it’s over you’re left looking around thinking “You all are just gonna leave me alone with this thing? WITHOUT AN ADULT??

"Wait. If I want to change/fix something, *I* have to pay for it?"

It's really more of "If I want to change/fix something I can pay for it and just get it done rather than waiting for my landlord to dick around for a year before adding me paying for HIS thing as a rider for lease renewal."

Being able to pay and do whatever is the best part.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    So many of the houses is my price range were run down 1920s affairs with issues. I feel lucky I was able to find a decent townhome built just 8 years ago. After doing IT work for some folks who work out of old buildings like that, I wouldn't go near anything not built this millennium.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You essentially want to avoid anything built between the years of 1940-1970 because of asbestos, potential aluminium wire, and shitty build quality.

1920 and earlier tend to be okay and 1980 and higher also tend to be okay. I'd probably take a 1900 house over a 2000 house because you get a lot of shit from Ryan Homes tossed in and they cut corners like whoa. I knew what I was getting into buying my 1920 house tho.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    So, I'm now staring at the start of an honest to goodness actual offer for a house.

It’s like having a kid. Once it’s over you’re left looking around thinking “You all are just gonna leave me alone with this thing? WITHOUT AN ADULT??

It's really more of "If I want to change/fix something I can pay for it and just get it done rather than waiting for my landlord to dick around for a year before adding me paying for HIS thing as a rider for lease renewal."

There's something strangely liberating about looking at a wall in your house and thinking "I can totally drill a hole in that if I wanna!".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Though what's really getting me right now is there's a frozen pizza in the freezer that I can't cook now.

... just sitting there, laughing at you ...

There's something strangely liberating about looking at a wall in your house and thinking "I can totally drill a hole in that if I wanna!".

Protip: moderate this impulse.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    You essentially want to avoid anything built between the years of 1940-1970 because of asbestos, potential aluminium wire, and shitty build quality.

1920 and earlier tend to be okay and 1980 and higher also tend to be okay. I'd probably take a 1900 house over a 2000 house because you get a lot of shit from Ryan Homes tossed in and they cut corners like whoa. I knew what I was getting into buying my 1920 house tho.

The house was originally built in 1980, with several additions added later.

One thing it has is a massive bank of windows along the front. I already have plans for setting up an animated display during the holidays.

• Options

I did a bunch of under cabinet LED strip lighting last weekend. Totally drilled a shitload of holes in things and spliced wires and stapled shit. Fuck yeah.

• Options

The house was originally built in 1980, with several additions added later.

One thing it has is a massive bank of windows along the front. I already have plans for setting up an animated display during the holidays.

Good deal. I've found more than anything is walking in and going "yes I like this house" was the most important part. I did that with my current house, I hadn't experienced it until then. I had found one previous that felt good but this one I walked in and went "hm yes this is what all those people mean"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I replaced the weather stripping around my doors last weekend. I didn't realize the stuff already in there was groove lock so I bought the wrong stuff at first. When I got the right stuff installed it made a pretty big difference. There's still a small gap in the corner but I just need to get a little stick on foam thing for that spot.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I replaced the weather stripping around my doors last weekend. I didn't realize the stuff already in there was groove lock so I bought the wrong stuff at first. When I got the right stuff installed it made a pretty big difference. There's still a small gap in the corner but I just need to get a little stick on foam thing for that spot.

I should do this. My front door is holy shit drafty.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    And the offer is signed.

Not quite. When the dishwasher & water heater & AC & furnace & laundry machines & toilet & oven & fridge need to be replaced is when the real home adulting starts.

That feels closer.

Usually while you have to hand dig a large hole in your property somewhere in order to scratch build a load bearing structure you've never heard of because something is on fire and/or gushing water.

Haha dropping 1500 to get a window well fixed before winter makes the ground impenetrable. No idea why just one of the window wells failed out but for some reason one got really rusty and basically collapsed grrr.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular

My version of that was "I'm going to paint this room ORANGE." That room is still orange 6 years later and I still fucking love it.

Elvenshae wrote:
    We just had a kid and my wife has been moving shelves and wall things around constantly. I swear in 20 years that room is going to be entirely spackle.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    And we got a counter at where we were expecting the price to wind up. So, we've accepted the counter.

Now begins the due diligence and the amassing of the paperwork.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

My version of that was "I'm going to paint this room ORANGE." That room is still orange 6 years later and I still fucking love it.

Elvenshae wrote:
    We just had a kid and my wife has been moving shelves and wall things around constantly. I swear in 20 years that room is going to be entirely spackle.

Ayyy congrats!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

I did a bunch of under cabinet LED strip lighting last weekend. Totally drilled a shitload of holes in things and spliced wires and stapled shit. Fuck yeah.

So like, inside the cabinets lights up when you open them?

That's a good idea. How do you power them?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Probably not - they're usually mounted underneath the cabinets and light up the counter space below them, which is usually pretty shadowed due to the large cabinets above them blocking all the light from the ceiling mounts.

• Options
    The only way I could see that being practical for me would be putting lights on the undersides of all the shelves so they properly illuminate everything. Then rigging some sort of switch system whereby the lights only turn on when you open the door. Which would be the real impressive feat of it all, but hell if I would know how to pull it off.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Bleh, have to defrost my fridge tomorrow. Hopefully my landlord has at least one cooler I can borrow.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

Probably not - they're usually mounted underneath the cabinets and light up the counter space below them, which is usually pretty shadowed due to the large cabinets above them blocking all the light from the ceiling mounts.

Yeah it’s this, illumination for the countertops.

Most specifically, IKEA Omlopp lights like these:

integrated_lightings.jpg

My cabinets have a little recessed space under them though so I mounted them right up at the front against the lip of the front of that recessed space and they’re totally hidden.

All of the lights plug into a small transformer, which plugs into a standard outlet. Our kitchen has a corner bread cupboard with a roll-up door at the counter top height, which has an outlet inside it, so that was an ideal place to put the transformer.

Essentially the area under the corner cupboard is just enclosed and has a roll-up door.

I screwed the transformer to the top of the inside of that bread cupboard. For all the wiring, you drill a small hole in the back corner of the cupboards and run it straight up to the top, over to the corner above where the transformer is mounted and down into the bread cupboard. All the wiring gets stapled down to keep it tidy.

Some of the runs were only a foot or two away so they were drilled directly through the side of the bread cupboard in the recessed underside where the lights were mounted. Because the cords were 11 feet long, I cut the excess out of those runs and patched the cords back together as much shorter cords.

I had other runs that were much longer than 11 feet, so the excess cable cut out of the short runs was spliced into those longer runs to give me enough length.

Right now the power is controlled by an in-line rocker switch on the transformer’s power cable. I stapled the cable above and below the rocker to hold that rocker switch in place just inside one side of the roll-up door of the bread cabinet.

IKEA make a remote switch for that system but I forgot to buy it at the time. When I get a chance I’ll pick some up and mount them by the kitchen light switches.

• Options
    I really like those lights

• Options
    I really like those lights

They look shit hot and they’re easy as fuck to install.

• Options
    do they come with the hooks too?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have some version of those. We also have three rope lights powered by battery that stick up under the cabinet. No staples or drilling/screwing but you're at the mercy of the adhesive.

I have a pic but I can't find it

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    So my house closes today... waiting for the lawyer notification that I can go get the keys.

Really hoping there isn't some big bugbear that I missed in my earlier visits! We already marked down a few things that need repair, but they may need to wait until after winter. I'm hoping @matt has a problem's warning isn't going to be prophetic.

Who installs a plastic skylight in Canada, really... you can feel the cold radiating from a foot away.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

I should do this. My front door is holy shit drafty.

I have a shopping bag with 3 different kinds of wrong weather stripping, threshhold bumpers, and other related items, and I swear my hit rate for what I actually need is maybe 15%. I suck at navigating the slush pile that is the big box store weatherizing aisle. I end up buying stuff I don't need and then am too lazy to return a 7 dollar this or a 4 dollar that, and it's hugely frustrating and stupid and wasteful (which is extra ironic as this all stems from wanting to save money on heating/cooling).

• Options
    do they come with the hooks too?

The hooks are an add-on.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Now that I’m finally home, here’s some of my actual lighting.

ygg4oifa497u.jpg

There’s smaller spotlights instead of strips mounted inside the roll-up cabinet and under the left hand cabinet.

EDIT: Replaced with reasonably sized image.

Cog on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    5 meg image Cog

looks good tho

• Options
    Yeah sorry. iPhone pic direct posted to forums. I’ll fix when I make it to a computer. Plz don’t smite.

• Options
    I really like the weird... garage door breadbox... thing taking up the corner.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that is pretty awesome!
    Do the lights automagically come on when you raise the door?

• Options

It ends up being like the kitchen junk drawer but for carbohydrates.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

I really need one of those to protect bread from my cats.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Hey @Quid how goes your war on the raccoons?
    Was listening to this and giggling a bit with the wife and thought you'd get a kick out it.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/raccoon-resistance/

PSN: jfrofl
This discussion has been closed.