As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I don't really like free time as the apps are haphazardly sorted and you have to look elsewhere for reviews.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Folks, I'm having a small brain quandary.

Ellie has three main daycare teachers. She adores them all and they adore her.

But my issue comes with one teacher telling me that Ellie has great days, happy, playful, fun. No worries.

But another teacher is telling me that Ellie's been having some anxiety issues lately, getting really worked up over little things and immediately calling for daddy.

So, which one do I believe? Who's telling me the most truth? And how would I find out?

I'm not doubting that both are true, I just would like to have an idea of how much anxiety she's having and if it's something to be worried about, or if it's just normal little kid behaviour. Or is the teacher even using the correct word?

I have anxiety issues myself, I'd like to help my child work through them sooner than later, if that's even what's going on.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    That sounds like fairly normal small kid behavior to me; I wouldn’t be too worried.

I do get your fears, though; Mori has bad anxiety and I don’t wish my kids to struggle, and certainly Anya is very easily worked up. But none of her teachers have ever thought it to be an issue and she also recovers pretty quickly.

Today we are celebrating Wolfenoot, which is a new New Zealand holiday! A 6 year old boy thought it up a few months ago. Since we don’t celebrate thanksgiving here we thought Wolfenoot would be a fun alternative and the kids are really into it. I’m working right now, though, so we’ll celebrate when I get home.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    wolfenoot?

I guess I have some investigating to do! Haven't heard of it! lol

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ask each teacher about the other teachers' comments. Not in an acusatory way or anything, but just to get their specific opinions with that other perspective in mind, see what they think.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Well the last 48 hours has certainly been interesting. Wednesday afternoon Mrs Mittens and I went on for a routine check-up and sonogram. The OB was concerned babby dropped size since the last scan; then after a very high blood pressure reading my wife was immediately admitted for preeclampsia monitoring. After a few hours the doctors decided we were going to induce that night (9 pm Wednesday).

The plan was to proceed with a vaginal birth, but long story short, after many difficulties and complications the staff decided we needed a c-section. At just about 2 am this morning (Friday), we welcomed Beatrice Anne into the world! She was 1800 g (3 lb 15.5 oz) and 17 in at birth. She is doing well but will spend some time in the NICU to work on growth and maintaining body temperature. Mom is doing well recovering from the c section and preeclampsia complications. I am completely exhausted but overjoyed the two most important people in my life are doing as well as they are.

7Hhg2te.jpg?1
    rNJdwJU.jpg?1

(Posting on mobile, please @ me if the pics are too big and I'll remove and try to reupload later)

EDIT: oh yeah! Forgot to add, gestational age at birth was 34 weeks 6 days.

m!ttens on
  • LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Good luck my dude!

Aww what a beautiful baby! Congratulations!!!

ohmygosh she's perfect! congratulations! I'm happy to hear that everybody is doing well!

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    That looks a good baby, good work everyone.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Athena is definitely a Mama's girl, but yesterday I was sitting on the floor and she came up and hugged me just because she wanted to :cry:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Abigail just pooped on herself and the floor. JUST LEARN TO USE THE TOILET ALREADY CHILD! :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I think this picture of the laughing buddha my son may be the best one I've ever taken. Also, he had his first experience petting and being licked by a dog, and seeing horses. Both tickled him pink, which is good, because his 3.5 year old cousins are scared of dogs, and squirrels, and cats, and you name the animal.
    8zEdvFWl.jpg

We are about to book flights to take with him for when he's 1, and I do have a question about lap babies. What on earth do you do with them the whole time? Like, if he sleeps, are we going to have to hold him and and support him for the whole nap, or do people use carriers/slings while sitting down?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    You can use a carrier, sure. You may be asked to take him out of the carrier during landing and take-off but it shouldn’t be a problem the rest of the time.

I’m not a small person, so I personally found it too bulky to have my babies in a carrier while sitting down.

It’s definitely very awkward! If you can swing booking bulkhead seats (in the middle row, since you can’t be near an emergency exit with kids) that’s best. Second best is being right at the back so you’re near a toilet and can get up and move more easily.

Yes, you’ll have to hold him while he sleeps and yes, it’s tiring and your arms will want to drop off by the end. Looking back I don’t know how I managed an 18 month old and a 4 year old by myself for a 11 hour flight! At 18 months I remember Niko just being so restless and irritable. The only thing he enjoyed was going into the toilet and watching running water and we must have done that upwards of 30 times on that flight (only when it was empty, of course).

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    We're flying with Siglet next spring and I imagine it's going to be miserable but it's only one flight for a couple hours so phew

Ours always thinks planes are too interesting to sleep much. She likes going up and down the aisles. For hours...

Steam profile
    edited November 2018
    When your kids is smarter than you:

9pm, Ellie, going to brush her teeth with daddy: I need to take a shower!

Me, getting her PJs and walking towards to bathroom: No, you should have done that instead of playing Shadow puppets.

Ecco, in the bathroom with her to brush their teeth, facepalm: She just peed in the shower.

Ellie, incredibly proud face, one finger held up to indicate an idea: I have an idea! I can wash the pee away with the shower!

lonelyahava on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Me, getting her PJs and walking towards to bathroom: No, you should have done that instead of playing Shadow puppets.

Ecco, in the bathroom with her to brush their teeth, facepalm: She just peed in the shower.

Ellie, incredibly proud face, one finger held up to indicate an idea: I have an idea! I can wash the pee away with the shower!

Am I not supposed to be peeing in the shower?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The kid is almost a year old and seems to like, or at least marginally less fussy prior to bed, after some stories.

I'm so sick of reading kid stories. We have so many and they are so short it takes like four or five to make up thirty minutes of story time before bed.

Anyone have any suggestions for longer kid fantasy or science fiction or something?

I recognize she's not recording real memories yet, but I don't want her to all of a sudden have some imprint of a violent action sequence if I tried to read something more mature.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    You can use a carrier, sure. You may be asked to take him out of the carrier during landing and take-off but it shouldn’t be a problem the rest of the time.

I’m not a small person, so I personally found it too bulky to have my babies in a carrier while sitting down.

It’s definitely very awkward! If you can swing booking bulkhead seats (in the middle row, since you can’t be near an emergency exit with kids) that’s best. Second best is being right at the back so you’re near a toilet and can get up and move more easily.

Yes, you’ll have to hold him while he sleeps and yes, it’s tiring and your arms will want to drop off by the end. Looking back I don’t know how I managed an 18 month old and a 4 year old by myself for a 11 hour flight! At 18 months I remember Niko just being so restless and irritable. The only thing he enjoyed was going into the toilet and watching running water and we must have done that upwards of 30 times on that flight (only when it was empty, of course).

We're strongly considering a spirit airlines flight, which sucks, but it's the most affordable way to get two relatively large seats. We did want to get the front bulkhead row of two seats, and I thought bulkhead by its nature is at the front. I see that we can't do a lap child actually in an exit row, but are you saying the front bulkhead rows closest to the entrance of the plane are an issue too?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The kid is almost a year old and seems to like, or at least marginally less fussy prior to bed, after some stories.

I'm so sick of reading kid stories. We have so many and they are so short it takes like four or five to make up thirty minutes of story time before bed.

Anyone have any suggestions for longer kid fantasy or science fiction or something?

I recognize she's not recording real memories yet, but I don't want her to all of a sudden have some imprint of a violent action sequence if I tried to read something more mature.

I read the entirety of Paradise Lost to my son around that age. I wanted to expose him to a variety of language and it had been a while since I read it. The words don't really mean that much at that age, just the sound and rhythm of your speech. Read whatever you want.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I read whatever my kid wants to read. But what I do to make it interesting for me is practice voices. Basically I’m running D&D character ideas against my 4 year old’s sensibilities. So far her favorite is traveling goblin merchant. Or “the pigeon” as she know the voice.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    So kids develop emotional awareness in stages; first they have none, then they become aware of their own emotions, then they become aware that other people have emotions, etc. And then things get a bit more meta.

My kid, describing his grade 4 "fun fitness - dance!" day yesterday:
    All we did was run around a room a lot while really loud music played. Now we're meant to tell ourselves we're great like a thousand times a day, it was just one of those dumb self-esteem things.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Read Princess Bride.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Your 1yo sits still for 30 minutes for books?

We get like 1 or 2 board books (paged through quickly) before she's off

So It Goes wrote: »
    Your 1yo sits still for 30 minutes for books?

We get like 1 or 2 board books (paged through quickly) before she's off

My daughter gives me a page and she checks out. Frustrating to say the least.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    We've had a lot more luck with books recently. She used to just like flipping pages back and forth and ignore the story. She still does that sometimes, but she'll actually sit still for stories now too!

A lot of the time (but not always), the key seems to be giving her a different book to hold and flip through idly while I read the "main" book, and she's pretty content to pay attention that way. Just needs something to fiddle with.

Steam profile
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I've been reading The Phantom Tollbooth to Anya lately and that's a real fun book.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

The internet at large keeps trying to tell me that pissing in the shower is totally normal and everyone does it, and I'm perfectly fine being the weirdo that uses the toilet before I get in the shower.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    wilder is 7 and a half months old now, and i feel like he seriously tipped over a threshold this month into the "woah babies be growin up" zone; he crawls now, and eats vegetables, and says blahblahblahblahblahblah (prolonged fart noise)

it's nuts!!! kids!!

i guess it's all just really impressing upon me how fleeting his time as a baby-baby actually is

anyway here he is over thanksgiving shuffling around on a blanket. there's a video, too, but i can't even think about posting it without turning into tears and goo, i just can't get over this kid
    df5rvdy834g0.jpg

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The original Winnie the Pooh stories are nice read-alouds for putting kids to sleep and they're surprisingly clever, as a grown person I thoroughly enjoy them.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

The internet at large keeps trying to tell me that pissing in the shower is totally normal and everyone does it, and I'm perfectly fine being the weirdo that uses the toilet before I get in the shower.

My daughter absolutely never pees in the shower. Although she usually doesn't think about it until the middle of the shower, so she has to leave and gets everything wet.
    She also refuses to go pee in the pool, which I totally agree with. Although this weekend, she had to go in the middle of swim lessons. The pool is on the second floor, and the restrooms are in the basement. I had to carry her ( didn't think to wrap her in a towel into after, which is my bad) down, then back up ( she's 5, and I'm not risking it) So while I agree she had to..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    Diana Wynne Jones is a pretty good bet for kid-safe fantasy.

@Theodore Floosevelt that is one adorable kiddo smile!
    Peen wrote: »
    The original Winnie the Pooh stories are nice read-alouds for putting kids to sleep and they're surprisingly clever, as a grown person I thoroughly enjoy them.

They really are; Pooh and Piglet’s relationship with Eeyore especially is something I didn’t really appreciate until I was an adult

Niko is not night potty-trained. He’s been fine during the day for half a year, now, but he’s only managed a handful of dry nights so he’s in a diaper for the foreseeable future.

Tonight he was kicking and screaming and absolutely refused his diaper. Eventually I said to Mori; what’s the worst that can happen? His mattress has a waterproof cover and his pyjamas and sheets are easily washed.

So we let him go to bed without a diaper... and after he fell asleep I went and sneakily put a diaper on him, because to hell with changing sheets at 2 am, haha.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    My son still wet the bed for about a year after he was good during the day, maybe a year and a half. What finally did it, was him realizing that other kids did not wear pull ups to sleep in, and they might make fun of him. My wife and I do not usually encourage our son to cave to peer pressure but this time we leaned ever so slightly into it. Changing sheets twice at night sucks. Changing his sheets, then he wakes up and sneaks in your bed so now you have to change your own sheets, sucks even worse. We never made him feel bad about it, but we didn't really correct his perception of how other kids would view it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Our three yr old went and scratched the paint off the windows my wife painted for Xmas

Its been an exceptionally hard age three and she’s only half way thought it.

Pretty sure she’s going to give us a heart attack

bloodyroarxx on
    I can't believe she's already one!!

And that dress is just amazing.

Congrats!

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Quick update on the m!ttens family: Beatrice is home from the hospital after a 1 week stay in the NICU. All the doctors and nurses were amazing and I cannot thank them enough for all the care they provided. She is doing great at home, we're just fortifying her breast milk with Human Milk Fortifier (and vitamin D once a day). Mrs m!ttens is trying not to feel down that her supply is just a little behind the curve so we occasionally have to give a bit of extra mixed formula in the bottles when Bea is extra hungry. We had our first pediatrician appointment and he found nothing wrong with her apart from being small for gestational age.

x4dfncu5s0au.jpg

The scene when I went to see if Abigail was asleep yet. She’s laid out her stuffed animals how the kids in her preschool are positioned for nap time. Cute, yet kind of creepy at the same time. Also, she may have too many stuffed animals.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.