As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mystery Science Theater 3000] Season 13 done, Season 14 coming?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I watched Atlantic rim

Now I want to yell about getting people on the horn

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Hey, that's my horn
    BANG!

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Mac and Me got rrrrrreeeeaaaaaaaalllll dark for a second and can't imagine being a kid and watching that.

Holy shit the original ending was even darker!
    the cops actually shot the kid!
    hahahahaha
    https://youtu.be/tGSOQV-LQpI/

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Mac and Me got rrrrrreeeeaaaaaaaalllll dark for a second and can't imagine being a kid and watching that.

Holy shit the original ending was even darker!
    the cops actually shot the kid!
    hahahahaha
    https://youtu.be/tGSOQV-LQpI/
    BANG!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Atlantic Rim has to be the newest film they've ever done.

It feels like they're doing Sharknado.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I kind of hope Sharknado isn't that bad.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    I kind of hope Sharknado isn't that BAH-BOOM!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I was dying laughing during that whole bit with Jonah predicting the obvious ending (which ultimately wasn’t actually subverted).

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The dialogue and acting and everything in Atlantic Rim is so bad that it almost doesn't need to be riffed, good lord. I felt actively bad for the background extras.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Oh god Ator!

oh god my sides

This is splendid, fantastic

oh god my sides

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm watching Atlantic Rim and all I feel is sympathy for Graham Greene

Dude was in Maverick and Dances with Wolves

• Options
    Meanwhile at metal gear solid five

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Atlantic Rim was terrible. Some of the riffing was good, but the awfulness of Atlantic Rim was threatening to overpower even that.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    I loved that they literally went back to the bar that burned down like a day later

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Atlantic Rim was terrible. Some of the riffing was good, but the awfulness of Atlantic Rim was threatening to overpower even that.

I felt really bad for any of the actors who took it seriously. You know there had to be one or two.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I loved they kept passing by the seas of bodies without reacting at all, or even any indication of how they got there.

I felt really bad for any of the actors who took it seriously. You know there had to be one or two.

That's how I felt, but it seemed like they were being directed to be as ridiculous as possible, like the people yelling into the phones to send everyone right now!!!1.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I'm watching Atlantic Rim and all I feel is sympathy for Graham Greene

Dude was in Maverick and Dances with Wolves

Dont worry, you can tell he was thinking the same thing the whole movie.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I loved they kept passing by the seas of bodies without reacting at all, or even any indication of how they got there.

And then they had their little self-congratulatory circle jerk while standing in the middle of said sea of bodies...
    BAH-BOOM!

• Options
    The only positive thing I can say is that I think the creature actually looked kind of cool, especially since it was probably made on a budget of gum wrappers.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The only positive thing I can say is that I think the creature actually looked kind of cool, especially since it was probably made on a budget of gum wrappers.

You just complimented Atlantic Rim.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I feel like Mac & Me and Atlantic Rim would have been more tolerable if they were bracketed by the other entries, rather than coming at the front and back-to-back. Both were really, astoundingly terrible movies (as opposed to simply very bad movies that you can tell the people involved were at least trying in, like The Day Time Stopped or whatever it was called). I almost gave up on the new season halfway through Atlantic Rim because even the riffing was insufficient to make it not painful to watch. I'm glad I didn't because the rest of them wound up being pretty funniiiice but yeash.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I and my buddies laughed our asses off at the riffing in Mac & Me. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not all of us made it through Atlantic Rim. A few turned it off halfway through to just go to the next one, it was that bad. Some of the riffs were even good, but it's was so bad....

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    For me it's a tie between Mac and Me and The Day Time Stopped for the worst movies.

The former is a ridiculous mess, and the latter is nearly incomprehensible.

Can anyone even tell me what actually occurs in that movie? The "Concepts!" song the bots sing was pretty spot on.

• Options

You just complimented Atlantic Rim.

I'm sure whatever CGI designer that Asylum has chained up in their basement is happy for my support.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    For me it's a tie between Mac and Me and The Day Time Stopped for the worst movies.

Can anyone even tell me what actually occurs in that movie? The "Concepts!" song the bots sing was pretty spot on.

As far as I could tell someone found a really torn up first draft of Close Encounters and filmed that without trying to put it back together.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I'm 4 in. So far the plots have been getting steadily less coherent across the four movies, I think. Mac and Me was a particularly good episode, and might even be one I'd show to a neophyte to introduce the idea of the show. The riffing rhythm is more comfortable and natural this season, and I'm glad they ditched the "fake commercial" bumper bits. Overall I'm pretty darn satisfied.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the riffing in Atlantic Rim. It made me want to get on a horn for some reason.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The riffing is good, but my least favorite episodes of MST3k have always been the ones where the movie is just so egregiously bad that I can't focus on the riffs at all with how objectively terrible it is.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    I'm 4 in. So far the plots have been getting steadily less coherent across the four movies, I think. Mac and Me was a particularly good episode, and might even be one I'd show to a neophyte to introduce the idea of the show. The riffing rhythm is more comfortable and natural this season, and I'm glad they ditched the "fake commercial" bumper bits. Overall I'm pretty darn satisfied.

I think the fake ad breaks were originally filmed because they didn't know what network the show would wind up on at the time. They could have been on cable TV again, for all they knew.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

As far as I could tell someone found a really torn up first draft of Close Encounters and filmed that without trying to put it back together.

I was actually trying to parse out the film today, and it really does feel like someone had multiple and vastly different scripts for the same alien movie and instead of picking one, they just took bits and pieces from all of them and stitched them together into some hideous progeny.
    I STILL dont know what the deal was with the evil robot/Betamax player (lawl). It was obviously antagonistic,
    but it doesn't really go anywhere. So many plot threads either start and go no where or come screaming out of left field

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I loved that they literally went back to the bar that burned down like a day later

Didn't it burn down the day BEFORE they went there? I thought it was the same place, but couldn't care enough to rewind. 😅

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I thought Atlantic rim was pretty good. .the movie was bad, but not intentionally bad. Just bad cgi and sme bad acting. Some of the actors are actually trying in scenes and some people are competent. I expected much worse the way people were talking. With the riffs it was a really enjoyable watch I think. And it's nothing like them doing a sharknado movie.

• Options

I was actually trying to parse out the film today, and it really does feel like someone had multiple and vastly different scripts for the same alien movie and instead of picking one, they just took bits and pieces from all of them and stitched them together into some hideous progeny.
    I STILL dont know what the deal was with the evil robot/Betamax player (lawl). It was obviously antagonistic,
    but it doesn't really go anywhere. So many plot threads either start and go no where or come screaming out of left field

I think that's part of the cultural consciousness of the time. The whole alien abduction, visitation, and travel was all the rage throughout the 1970s, in some ways mirroring the seance and spiritualist movements of a century before. So I feel like a lot of the choppiness in the story is simply because we don't possess the zeitgeist and thus cannot translate all the shorthand the movie uses. Look at, say, Indonesian horror films. To us those things are a mess of conflicting weirdness, but to their makers who inherited the basis of those stories, they make perfect sense. I feel like something like that is at play in that one.

Which is not to say it's not still completely nonsensical. It's that a small part of that nonsense isn't.

• Options

Didn't it burn down the day BEFORE they went there? I thought it was the same place, but couldn't care enough to rewind. 😅

thats what I meant

• Options
    3 completed thus far. So far, Mac & Me was the overall most entertaining to me. Lords of the Deep and Atlantic Rim genuine awfulness is dragging it down a bit.

It might be because the movies are being edited to fit, I dunno.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I'm three in so far. Mac & Me was so great. "Sunglasses on. Sunglasses off. Sunglasses on. Sunglasses off"

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

I think that's part of the cultural consciousness of the time. The whole alien abduction, visitation, and travel was all the rage throughout the 1970s, in some ways mirroring the seance and spiritualist movements of a century before. So I feel like a lot of the choppiness in the story is simply because we don't possess the zeitgeist and thus cannot translate all the shorthand the movie uses. Look at, say, Indonesian horror films. To us those things are a mess of conflicting weirdness, but to their makers who inherited the basis of those stories, they make perfect sense. I feel like something like that is at play in that one.

Which is not to say it's not still completely nonsensical. It's that a small part of that nonsense isn't.

Google says the movies original runtime is 80 minutes, while that episode of MST3K is 82 minutes long. To fit the movie into their time constraints MST3K probably chopped a scene or two that might have helped make the story a little more understandable.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The Day Time Stopped makes slightly more sense if you assume that rather than one set of aliens attacking this farmhouse using increasingly elaborate and randomly shifting techniques it's actually a bunch of different alien species arriving and trying to get control of the green pyramid thingy for whatever reason.

So, like, the flying betamax was after the pyramid but then gets distracted by the arrival of other aliens. The many-boobed alien arrives but then gets attacked by the uncertainly-boobed alien trying to stop it getting the pyramid first.

It still doesn't make a lot of sense but it's a bit less "and then the aliens do A and then they do B and then they do C and then..."

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I'm 4 episodes in, and I'm worried they front-loaded the funny. Mac & Me and Atlantic Rim were great, but I nearly fell asleep during Lords of the Deep and The Day Time Stopped was just so incomprehensible, that the riffing couldn't do much to save it.

steam_sig.png