As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I kinda want to finally play DA2...

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

It's not as bad as people say but you could tell when it first came out it had a short development time. The story-DLCs by the way, while playable at any time, are pretty good in lengthening the third act which tends to be noticeably shorter then the first two. If you're gonna get picky with it, get at least Legacy which is pretty vital for Dragon Age 3. Likewise, pick up the Black Emporium as it's a pretty nice shop and I believe it brings in the Mabari combat pet along with it.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Qube 1 was dope, haven't tried 2. And it's cool that they're giving us the 2nd best Just Cause game as well

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

It's not as bad as people say but you could tell when it first came out it had a short development time. The story-DLCs by the way, while playable at any time, are pretty good in lengthening the third act which tends to be noticeably shorter then the first two. If you're gonna get picky with it, get at least Legacy which is pretty vital for Dragon Age 3. Likewise, pick up the Black Emporium as it's a pretty nice shop and I believe it brings in the Mabari combat pet along with it.

DA2 still has my favorite party characters, but that's probably due to not having played enough of the other games.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Having had some time to reflect, I'm pretty sure I like DA2 more than I like DA3.

I'm not saying it's a better game, but I know which one I enjoyed more.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Still not really going to bother with DA2. :pop:

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I think part of the problem some people had with DA2 was that the 'Halloween III' effect the plot and setting had on those who played it. DA1 had you running all around Feraldan on a big journey to stop the Blight while Hawke's story was more directly contained in Kirkwall and wasn't as nearly as world-affecting until the very end. Plus...
    ...Hawke didn't really DO much to change anything big at the end other then keep Kirkwall roughly in one piece, being more caught up in events much like Dr. Challis was in Halloween III.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    DA2 gave us Varric, which is all it needs to be considered a treasure.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    My main issue with DA 2 is that it simplified most of the mechanics that I liked in DA 1 in exchange for a system that I had zero interest in playing as a DA game.

Whereas with Mass Effect 1 into Mass Effect 2, I was interested enough in continuing the story to play it... DA 2 also didn't carry my character over so it didn't have that to hold it over either.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    My main issue with DA 2 is that it simplified most of the mechanics that I liked in DA 1 in exchange for a system that I had zero interest in playing as a DA game.

Whereas with Mass Effect 1 into Mass Effect 2, I was interested enough in continuing the story to play it... DA 2 also didn't carry my character over so it didn't have that to hold it over either.

A lot of your decisions DID carry over though, which I thought was pretty great.

Running into guys hocking genu-ine Ashes of Andraste for real we swear in the port because you didn't blow up the temple, or the former werewolf who was pissed that he wasn't an awesome werewolf anymore, or Leliana and Zevran interacting in hilarious ways. Though the best is having Leliana, Zevran, and King Alistair show up in your game and having everybody just aghast because Isabella had slept with all of them and Isabella just going "Oh shut up, you would've done them too."

• Options
    I also enjoyed how bonkers everything got at the end and the thing with the guy that happens that's like whoa, it's a pretty darn good story.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I also enjoyed how bonkers everything got at the end and the thing with the guy that happens that's like whoa, it's a pretty darn good story.

I can understand people being upset at the decision being entirely out of the player's hands or ability to influence though.

Still though, I stabbed that guy right the fuck to death.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

if you like story in bioware games it's maybe bioware's secret best game (behind Mass Effect 2).

If you dislike recycled environments you'll hate it.

Personally I think it's a phenomenal game.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Still not really going to bother with DA2. :pop:

DAO pissed me off so much that not only did I 100% it on the 360 out of spite, but I also intentionally spoiled most of DA2 and will eventually 100% *it* out of spite, too.

I have more issues than a newstand.

• Options
    I... think that hate-100%ing a game is a thing unique to achievement hunters. o_o

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Probably. But the hate likely stems from a game frustrating the player trying to get 100%. While I want to 100% every game, I also acknowledge that's not always possible. Even ignoring EA server shutdowns. I have plenty of games that I all but abandon trying to 100% for various reasons. (See any Rockstar game with multiplayer/online.)

DAO on the other hand just pissed me off. (Fuck that game. Fuck that design. 100% bitches!) DA2 became an extension of that, deserved or not. I don't pretend it's reasonable.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I think I beat DA:O like six or seven times, same with ME 1... and at best I may have done two playthroughs of ME 2. (none of DA2, obv.)

I think I'll tag it to my account because it's free, and maybe someday give it a shot. maybe it will surprise me. it will not.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I think I beat DA:O like six or seven times, same with ME 1... and at best I may have done two playthroughs of ME 2. (none of DA2, obv.)

I think I'll tag it to my account because it's free, and maybe someday give it a shot. maybe it will surprise me. it will not.

The first Mass Effect is the best game in the trilogy, so that tracks.
    And 3 is better than 2.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Feel abit lost. Where are the links for the best offers, guys? Any announcements for winter holiday sales, please?

There's a dedicated deals thread
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/191854/game-deals-thread-silly-season-proceeds-black-friday-ads-page-78#latest

• Options
    Feel abit lost. Where are the links for the best offers, guys? Any announcements for winter holiday sales, please?

The Black Friday deals are (were) two pages back, in the lead up to Black Friday. I'm guessing the large majority of them aren't active anymore.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Was digging through old emails and found that I have a code for Recore if anyone would like it. It came with my BoneS and I already owned it thanks to cross-buy.

Disclaimer, I've had this for ages and I don't know if they expire.

Welp, that found a home. :)

baudattitude on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

The Black Friday deals are (were) two pages back, in the lead up to Black Friday. I'm guessing the large majority of them aren't active anymore.

On the bright side, not long until the Christmas sale deals! (Pretty sure Xbox still does those, right?)

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Was digging through old emails and found that I have a code for Recore if anyone would like it. It came with my BoneS and I already owned it thanks to cross-buy.

Disclaimer, I've had this for ages and I don't know if they expire.

Welp, that found a home. :)

Massive thanks to the extremely classy @baudattitude for Recore! <3

And yes, it worked just fine :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    some new back compat titles today, Kingdoms of Amalur, Alien vs Predator and Sonic Unleashed.

• Options
    Oooh rad! I still have my Amalur disc too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    some new back compat titles today, Kingdoms of Amalur, Alien vs Predator and Sonic Unleashed.

ARGH, so close, and yet...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man the motion blur in spyro is making me dizzy

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Can you turn it off?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Prohass wrote: »

Can you turn it off?

Not that I can find, a lot of people are complaining so hopefully they'll add it in an update

For context I don't normally have a problem with motion blur, so for me to notice it it has to be really bad, I can't imagine people who are sensitive to it can play it at all. Lots of tweets and complaints about it being unplayable for people who get sick from it, so I'm hoping they'd add a toggle, fingers crossed, not sure how this company is with updates

Prohass on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    So I see some 360 are X Enhanced with HDR. The S model is capable of HDR, so do I get that just without the fancy 4K? Or is it all or nothing?

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    So I see some 360 are X Enhanced with HDR. The S model is capable of HDR, so do I get that just without the fancy 4K? Or is it all or nothing?

I think I know the answer to this: there are no televisions with HDR10 (or for that matter, Dolby Vision) support that don't have 4K panels. I've never seen one. It's very likely they don't exist, given how HDR is generally implemented (HDR on what would could be considered a "low pixel density screen" would look bad at best). It may be a reason why HDR PC monitors are still relatively rare, and why every single one I've seen is either 4K, or 1080p/1440p at some extreme widescreen ratio.

The Xbox One (S) does a basic "upscaling" of games to fill a 4K television panel, assuming you have that feature activated (it's also a UHD film player with HDR support). This can be kind of confusing, because it makes it sounds like the Xbox One is as much a "4K console" as the XB1X is, and it's not. So I think any game listed as having HDR support (which is an XB1X feature) will have it the Xbox One. You also need to enable the feature. Maybe that helps.

(For clarity sake, the launch-type "big" Xbox One consoles don't support HDR output.)

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Okay, maybe I just poorly phrased my question. I get how 4K and HDR work and the limitations of each model of the One. I just meant are those HDR options for 360 games tied into their X Enhancements? Like, can I play Mirror's Edge with HDR on the S?

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Okay, maybe I just poorly phrased my question. I get how 4K and HDR work and the limitations of each model of the One. I just meant are those HDR options for 360 games tied into their X Enhancements? Like, can I play Mirror's Edge with HDR on the S?

I'm pretty sure so. The differences between 360 BC on Xbox One and Xbox One X are extremely specific, and boil down to a resolution multiplier (and sometimes slightly better framerates on the XB1X). If the HDR implementation works at all, it should work on any console capable of outputting HDR.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Yoooo backwards compatible Amalur, I might actually finish that game now. I thought getting that would actually be impossible, gg Microsoft.

Edit: I hadn't looked at the list in a while but there's low key a ton of stuff that's backwards compatible, it's pretty impressive.

Peen on
  • Options
    Missed out on a treat there. Their use of foreshortening techniques and the like to convey the big bad was... neat.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

ARGH, so close, and yet...

Two Sega games and a THQ? Game... weird combination.

Winfrey if there's abunch of games that got obscured by publishers and MS had just been rekeasing them st a steady pace. Whilst how many they got in the can.

Also I wonder how long before a new OG xbox bc drop. (Still waiting on DOA3 and Metal Arms.)

• Options
    Ninja Gaiden Black gave me hope for DOA3 and DOA2:Ultimate (the later was probably the most visually impressive fighting game of that generation). That being said, maybe NGB was just a "must get" for being such an amazing action game, whereas the oXbox had a decent number of 3D fighters on it.

• Options
    So like, Fallout 4 mods are broken or something? I just keep getting a "This operation could not be completed" message anytime I try to download something. The unofficial patch needed to update, but it wouldn't complete so now it's just gone from my list. I've tried the solutions I could find on google, but nothing works. Hard reset the console, reset modem/router, sign in guest profile try to access mods crash the game restart the game and resign into my profile. Nothing seems to work... Pretty annoying.

Anyone have any experience with this?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So like, Fallout 4 mods are broken or something? I just keep getting a "This operation could not be completed" message anytime I try to download something. The unofficial patch needed to update, but it wouldn't complete so now it's just gone from my list. I've tried the solutions I could find on google, but nothing works. Hard reset the console, reset modem/router, sign in guest profile try to access mods crash the game restart the game and resign into my profile. Nothing seems to work... Pretty annoying.
    Maybe Bethesda's CDN server is having problems?

• Options
    Maybe. Google searches only turn up people having this issue 2 weeks ago to 8 months ago, so I dunno... Also weirdly, none of the banners or icons on any of the dashboard sections except "home" are even loading for me. Like, the store is just blank tiles until I go into it through the deals tab. My internet appears to be working fine, so I dunno.

Had a hankering for some Fallout thanks to FO76, so was going to play some FO4. I don't want to load my save file with the unofficial patch missing though =/