As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] Everybody's dead, Dave.

1484950515254»

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »
    The funny thing to me is that Frost jumped ship to Blizzard where I figure a lot of his shenanigans wouldn't fly. He ended up "Parting ways" from there and now works at Amazon or some branch thereof doing....something.Wildstar's original class designer ended up at blizzard and I think works on HOTS

That's interesting, because I just read the other day how Amazon is for reasons making an MMO. Who could they have put in charge of that, do you think? :?

Holy Crap, first that I've heard about this. Could that "Forbes" article be any more lazy ? Come on, doofus, put in a little effort would you ?

Putting that aside, with Amazon's ability to throw infinite money at a MMO project, this has all sorts of potential.

Amazon's been poaching talent from across the industry for a few years for these projects. To Amazon's goals, an MMO is the type of project that will ensure a consistent and active team of in-house product champions for their cloud gaming platform - a team that'll stress it and find the bugs their internal engineers wouldn't. Even if it crashes and burns revenue-wise, it'll still produce value for the company in the long term. Or at least, that's what the jobs are of Frost and the other folks that Amazon picked up.

So with that in mind, don't necessarily expect this Amazon MMO to be a bombastic success of a game. If they get some revenue from us then that's cool, but we're not necessarily their customers.

Yup its very likely their MMO they are working on is more of a tech demo/proof of concept for their engine/tools/server infrastructure to sell to others.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I swear Amazon has like 15 games in develop that never go anyway.

Our own Kate moved from GW2 to Amazon to work on some game and...I think she moved to Wizards without the game ever coming to fruition.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Amazon strikes me a company thats too big for its own good. They have so much size and money and are constantly trying to figure out new revenue streams that their willing to just toss resources at a project no matter how its outlook is.

Heck I just heard yesterday that their trying to get into pharmaceutical and health businesses.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Amazon strikes me a company thats too big for its own good. They have so much size and money and are constantly trying to figure out new revenue streams that their willing to just toss resources at a project no matter how its outlook is.

Heck I just heard yesterday that their trying to get into pharmaceutical and health businesses.

Oh.

Good.

That can’t possibly go awry.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Stick to what you know Amazon. Gangbusters distribution.

If you are really itching to just throw money away, do things like the SpaceX prize money give aways for something. Say I have a fat stack of cash for the guy that cures Alzheimer's, or depression. Give the incentive, dont try to work it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    There are a couple big companies looking at the pharma and health businesses because their health insurance costs for their boat loads of employees are stupidly high and getting stupidly higher. So some of the big players are looking at ways to lower those prices and it may or may not have positive impacts for people who are not their employees.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

If you are really itching to just throw money away, do things like the SpaceX prize money give aways for something. Say I have a fat stack of cash for the guy that cures Alzheimer's, or depression. Give the incentive, dont try to work it.

Or, y'know... pay their DC workforce better.

Or pay taxes.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Oh.

Good.

That can’t possibly go awry.

Well their getting into drug delivery which I think is fine, but they are also opening a small corporate center in Nashville where a lot of pharma and medical companies are at and besides the medication delivery no one knows what their up to.

My guess is tele-com doctoring which would happen with or without them anyway

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Game is dead, long live private servers. Here's a GitHub with a WildStar emulator:

https://github.com/Rawaho/NexusForever/

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    There was also another project mentioned on the subreddit.

How long until lawyers get involved?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    probably nil since Carbine and the IP are effectively dead. Not worth the money.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    There was also another project mentioned on the subreddit.

How long until lawyers get involved?

Further, trying to stop MMO emulation is a fool's errand.

Every one the publisher/dev takes to court creates a bunch of news that creates attention that causes dozens of fans to start their own projects. Further, further, the players playing emulators instead of official servers is a drop in the bucket population wise. These are also players that are highly unlikely to be paying customers in any case, so tend to not actually be "lost sales".

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Just wondered about NCSoft's privy regarding the architecture used.

But everyone can download a packet analyzer nowadays.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

Amazon AWS is one of their biggest money makers and most successful products. They have lots of talent for software and cloud development and moving into gaming makes a lot of sense - once you own the distribution network why not capture an even bigger slice of the pie by also providing content?

fwKS7.png?1