As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Watching the Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. I was really worried about it because the 2000s adaptation was ridiculously bad. Like
    main character throws ghost children at the big bad ghost and traps him in a door, bad

I think they managed to split the difference between the 1970s version and the 2000s one. They manage to keep the terror aspect up while still showing some creeps. Mixing in show with tell.

Also holy hell their director went full bore on the long takes. I think one episode is done entirely in one shot.

• Options
    They never seem to mix ghosts with the holidays.

• Options
    Hogfather is a nice movie.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I might have to watch Krampus pretty soon... Tis the season after all

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    I still believe that the original Black Christmas is the best Christmas movie

fite me

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Ironically, Groundhog Day is the best Christmas movie. Look it up.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Watching the Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. I was really worried about it because the 2000s adaptation was ridiculously bad. Like
    main character throws ghost children at the big bad ghost and traps him in a door, bad

I think they managed to split the difference between the 1970s version and the 2000s one. They manage to keep the terror aspect up while still showing some creeps. Mixing in show with tell.

Also holy hell their director went full bore on the long takes. I think one episode is done entirely in one shot.

The episode you're talking about jumps from present to past a bunch of times so there are cuts there, there are also a few normal cuts in the long scenes, and lots of hidden cuts.

It's still an incredible episode of television, and does the good version of single shot scenes where the shots don't flagrantly call attention to themselves it's just you suddenly realize it's been 5 or 6 minutes and you haven't seen a cut.

Edit: Overall I really liked the new Hill House (having not read the book or seen the previous adaptations, but my wife loves the book and enjoyed this version too)
    There were only like 2 jump scares in the whole season which is awesome because jump scares suck.
    The character work was excellent, both kids and adults (the twins get special shout outs, all four of them were amazing).

The resolution kind of fell a little flat for me, though.
    ENDING SPOILERS
    Like it turned out that the HOUSE was bad, but the ghosts were generally ok? Except for the one crazy one? And then in the closing monologue the house was suddenly painted as actually good and helping families stay together? I don't know, I mean I GET IT, I just think thematically it was weird.

Also if you've watched it I suggest you go back and watch it again and concentrate on the backgrounds this time. There are DOZENS of creepy faces and full body apparitions fucking EVERYWHERE back there.

#pipe on
  • Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    About Hill House, saw this the other day and it made me lol
    Literally me for a few days after binge watching it.

grrmusha on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I might have to watch Krampus pretty soon... Tis the season after all

The Krampus episode of Inside Number 9 is a cool Christmas spooky thing

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

The episode you're talking about jumps from present to past a bunch of times so there are cuts there, there are also a few normal cuts in the long scenes, and lots of hidden cuts.

It's still an incredible episode of television, and does the good version of single shot scenes where the shots don't flagrantly call attention to themselves it's just you suddenly realize it's been 5 or 6 minutes and you haven't seen a cut.

Edit: Overall I really liked the new Hill House (having not read the book or seen the previous adaptations, but my wife loves the book and enjoyed this version too)
    There were only like 2 jump scares in the whole season which is awesome because jump scares suck.
    The character work was excellent, both kids and adults (the twins get special shout outs, all four of them were amazing).

ENDING SPOILERS
    Like it turned out that the HOUSE was bad, but the ghosts were generally ok? Except for the one crazy one? And then in the closing monologue the house was suddenly painted as actually good and helping families stay together? I don't know, I mean I GET IT, I just think thematically it was weird.

Also if you've watched it I suggest you go back and watch it again and concentrate on the backgrounds this time. There are DOZENS of creepy faces and full body apparitions fucking EVERYWHERE back there.

Massive agree r.e the ending.
    So it was just that one shitty ghost lady that was making everyone go crazy? How did she exert such power over the mother?

I really did love the series all the way up until then though. Solid creepies all the way through, mmhmm. But there was a few other things that kinda through me off towards the end, one particularly was
    The bent neck lady. Like I got legit chills when it was showing her spooling through time arriving at all these various points in her own life. But then when I thought about it after it just seemed totally random. Why did none of the other apparitions travel backwards through time in this manner?

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »

ENDING SPOILERS

Massive agree r.e the ending.
    So it was just that one shitty ghost lady that was making everyone go crazy? How did she exert such power over the mother?

I really did love the series all the way up until then though. Solid creepies all the way through, mmhmm. But there was a few other things that kinda through me off towards the end, one particularly was
    The bent neck lady. Like I got legit chills when it was showing her spooling through time arriving at all these various points in her own life. But then when I thought about it after it just seemed totally random. Why did none of the other apparitions travel backwards through time in this manner?
    The thing killing people was the house. It lured people, changed its layout, drove them mad.
    The crazy ghost lady was just doing whatever the house wanted, because she's a crazy ghost lady.

I don't think any of the ghosts had any say in when they could travel. Nell seemed to be being forced to move and appear until she got herself back together.

Though crazy ghost lady and the house definitely did some time travelling. They gave the mom some exact information of what was going to happen to her kids.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    M3F1dvZ.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ok twilight zone stuff
    the other day I walked home from work at 3am at the intersection there was 3 police cars with lights on running and 2 cars but there was no one around

A similar thing happened years ago at about 5am when I was working overnights I walked home during a very quiet summer day
    I cut past where this gas station and blake's are there is about 15+ police cars and the crime scene van which I have never seen before but there is NO one around

I have no idea what was going on in both nor do I really want to find out

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    0s5eqxvbpgp6.png

Freaks me right the fuck out

• Options
    Is that a digital photo?

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Is that a digital photo?

If not, he could have scratched the photo.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    A couple of nights ago, my sleeping brain came up with a horror villain based around the white bear problem. The dream started out that I was trying to drive somewhere (work?) and found that several regular streets were completely closed down. As I was driving down back streets instead, I soon learned (by watching news on my phone?) that the reason for so many streets being closed down is that several office buildings had massive, unprecedented, implied to even be radioactive, explosions, littering the streets with debris. I eventually pulled over and stopped by felt like a meeting room but perhaps it was a restaurant. Sitting at the table was someone I went to high school with. I began telling her that all these explosions seemed familiar, that there was someone I was remembering who this incident made me think of, but I couldn't quite bring her face and name into focus in my mind. The woman across from me looked horrified, and begged me, "don't TRY to remember, don't try to think of her, that'll bring her here!" However, it was too late: a memory of a person came into my mind - someone I knew I had never met, yet the memory of what she looked like was there - and she started pulling herself out of a hole made from reality itself. She had long straight hair and an unrealistically wide grin. When I saw her start to come out, I got up and ran, trying with all my might not to think of her, and of course it was impossible. Behind me I felt and heard the explosion she had caused. I got in my car and started driving. I kept driving knowing it was hopeless, and that's where the dream ended.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Today I found out about a fungus called Dead Man's Fingers

OnRM9mc.jpg
    NFqF5Dj.jpg
    habytwk.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    A couple of nights ago, my sleeping brain came up with a horror villain based around the white bear problem. The dream started out that I was trying to drive somewhere (work?) and found that several regular streets were completely closed down. As I was driving down back streets instead, I soon learned (by watching news on my phone?) that the reason for so many streets being closed down is that several office buildings had massive, unprecedented, implied to even be radioactive, explosions, littering the streets with debris. I eventually pulled over and stopped by felt like a meeting room but perhaps it was a restaurant. Sitting at the table was someone I went to high school with. I began telling her that all these explosions seemed familiar, that there was someone I was remembering who this incident made me think of, but I couldn't quite bring her face and name into focus in my mind. The woman across from me looked horrified, and begged me, "don't TRY to remember, don't try to think of her, that'll bring her here!" However, it was too late: a memory of a person came into my mind - someone I knew I had never met, yet the memory of what she looked like was there - and she started pulling herself out of a hole made from reality itself. She had long straight hair and an unrealistically wide grin. When I saw her start to come out, I got up and ran, trying with all my might not to think of her, and of course it was impossible. Behind me I felt and heard the explosion she had caused. I got in my car and started driving. I kept driving knowing it was hopeless, and that's where the dream ended.

I see you've met my wraith.

• Options
    She will show up again, in various forms, but you'll know it's her. You may have other people in the dream with you to fight her, but they aren't real, and can't help you. You have to stand firm and face her, knowing, and more importantly, believing, that you are alive and real. You'll know it's a dream, questioning if this is a real spectre or a stress dream, the thing is to force her out all the same. When you're asleep and she shows up, feel the life in you, focus it. Face her down and burn her out of your world.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

I'm going to start classifying these conceptual monsters as Ludovicians.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    whenever I'm in a dream that's going like, way south way fast or I'm suddenly confronted with some monstrosity or unseen horror what I like to do is scream really hard, I scream so hard that my dream just becomes this primal chaotic mess that it forces consciousness and I wake myself and everybody within 30 feet of me

According to various bed partners, I let out an actual holler and do a sort of full-body tense and flop as I fight to regain control of my muscles and my brain is, I assume either rebooting or witnessing reality with no perceptive filters and I can't conceptualize it

one of the parts of taking the pills that I take trying to brain I actually really enjoy is that I've gotten to experience some pretty fucking bonkers dreams and some just... vivid, nightmares.

• Options
    I'd be super interested if there was some kind of study about how people interpret, deal with, combat sleep disorders that manifest as basically supernatural stuff.

• Options
    And to that end,

https://youtu.be/kszLwBaC4Sw

And goodnight.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    She will show up again, in various forms, but you'll know it's her. You may have other people in the dream with you to fight her, but they aren't real, and can't help you. You have to stand firm and face her, knowing, and more importantly, believing, that you are alive and real. You'll know it's a dream, questioning if this is a real spectre or a stress dream, the thing is to force her out all the same. When you're asleep and she shows up, feel the life in you, focus it. Face her down and burn her out of your world.

Well I should point out that while I felt fear in the dream, when I woke I was exhilarated and really wished the theme of that dream was a movie I could watch. If it is a recurring dream, I look forward to it with relish. My dream brain seems to be pretty good at keeping me entertained.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My dream brain is a dick.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I like the spooky thread too much for it to slip away like this!

one time I did mushrooms and hallucinated sliding my arm skin off like a glove, and I could see all my muscles and stuff and I was entranced by the poetry and simple elegance of their movements

also when I was a kid at boy scout camp, I got lost. Like, really lost, during a hike. it was getting dark and I was starting to really panic, and I saw a scout leader I didn't recognize, in the distance between some trees. He kept yelling my name and gesturing towards him, so I made my way there. I had to climb a little pile of wood to get to where he was, and when I looked up there was nobody there, but I was standing on an honest to god trail.

Like, ten seconds of me being confused later, my dad and some of the kids ran up to me and I asked him if he heard that guy yelling or saw a scout leader come by, and he told me that he heard me yelling and that's why he came over here.

I dunno what that guy was, but he really did me a solid.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I like the spooky thread too much for it to slip away like this!

one time I did mushrooms and hallucinated sliding my arm skin off like a glove, and I could see all my muscles and stuff and I was entranced by the poetry and simple elegance of their movements

also when I was a kid at boy scout camp, I got lost. Like, really lost, during a hike. it was getting dark and I was starting to really panic, and I saw a scout leader I didn't recognize, in the distance between some trees. He kept yelling my name and gesturing towards him, so I made my way there. I had to climb a little pile of wood to get to where he was, and when I looked up there was nobody there, but I was standing on an honest to god trail.

Like, ten seconds of me being confused later, my dad and some of the kids ran up to me and I asked him if he heard that guy yelling or saw a scout leader come by, and he told me that he heard me yelling and that's why he came over here.

I dunno what that guy was, but he really did me a solid.

Well when you time travel back to that incident you know what to do at least

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Have I told my family's Bigfoot encounter story here ever?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I don't know if you did or not, but I, for one, am happy to hear any story of that category multiple times.

• Options
    oh my god please

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Are you sitting comfortably?

Then let's begin.

I was probably about three, maybe four, my older brothers were 5 and ten or so, and we went on a big ol' hiking and camping trip up on the peninsula in Washington state, aka, prime squatch country. My uncle (later stepdad) Bruce was with us with my cousins (later step siblings) Zach and Christy, who are a few years older than my brother and I. My dad and my Uncle Bruce were both prison guards at the time and my dad carried his duty weapon, a 9mm Beretta, with him on the trip in case we came across some unfriendly wildlife that needed scaring away.

The place we we're camping at was called PJ Lake, if memory serves, and it's quite a hike to even get to the campsite, a good four miles or so, which the kids all managed pretty well despite how young we all were. Must be that fresh forest air, eh? Anyway, after a long hike we set up camp and do camping stuff until it gets dark.

As night falls, and the forest goes quiet, it goes real quiet. To use the cliche, entirely too quiet. The kids got tired and went to sleep while my dad and my uncle stayed up (probably to smoke a joint, if I know them half as well as I think I do.) I don't remember much about what happened next but my dad sure as shit does and my Uncle Bruce, who was the toughest SoB I've literally ever known, basically refused to even speak about the incident. My older brothers also remember this with perfect clarity, and before he died my older brother Stevie told me the story and it was genuinely the only time I'd ever seen true fear in his face.

A rock comes sailing into the campsite, smashing into the ground beside the fire and clattering into our kindling pile, followed by what my father describes as "a sound like a big, angry gorilla screaming into a grain pipe." My dad stands up, racks a round into his 9mm. This is the sound that woke my brothers, I was still dead tired from the hike so I didn't wake up until I heard voices, primarily my dad saying "Show yourself! I can hear you moving, I'm an officer of the law!" (which, not really? but I digress) and all the other kids asking what was going on, and I poke my head out of the tent to see my dad in a two-handed shooting stance with my Uncle Bruce standing directly over his shoulder with a camp axe in his right hand and a flashlight in his left, shining out into the woods and tracking with the barrel of his pistol.

More rocks and sticks, usually not as close as the last one, more noises from the dark, new voices added to the first, from all sides except the shore of the lake and that crystal clear water, so clear you could see straight to the bottom of the lake during the day only now it was black under the moonlight. Howls from the trees, and all us kids huddled now in the same tent reassuring each other that it was probably just a mad ol' mama black bear making sure we know who's who and what's what in her forest, but I'll tell you this; I have never known my step dad to have been afraid of anything in this life. No man nor beast. He wasn't even afraid of the cancer in the end. But to his dying day, my Uncle Bruce refused to speak of that incident. Refused. We left as dawn broke so we wouldn't break our ankles hiking out and never went camping, hiking, or fishing in those parts again, or at least, not quite so deep into those parts.

Edit: my dad and my uncle Bruce for their part were both very experienced woodsmen, with decades of combined experience hunting and fishing all over Washington, Northern California and the scrublands and mountains of Nevada, and my dad swears up and down that he, to this day, has never heard anything like the sound he heard that night, except for in one place: nature documentaries about the great apes.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    I think Aztecs were into human sacrifice.

• Options
    What happened to this thread anyway? Is there a newer thread?

• Options
    No, this thread is just very slow. Like a romero zombie.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The real scary stuff is all in the White House these days

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The real scary stuff is all in the White House these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDX7yVmQam8

• Options