As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Paladin wrote: »
    I do wonder whether "conspiracy theorist" should be studied as a personality disorder. It ruins the lives of the afflicted and those they come in contact with as much as any narcissist or someone with borderline personality disorder.

It's covered by Paranoid Personality Disorder. There are also a bunch of psychotic disorders that cover delusions or whatever.

Its interesting, though, because that doesn't quite cover it. Certain conspiracy theories may originate in the mind of someone with PPD, but they turn it into a communicable disease. That susceptibility vector is distinct from what takes root in it.

Once something becomes a cultural phenomenon, medicine signs off.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    well poop. someday, though! there's plenty of hydrogen in the solar system and i can see it still being useful as fuel even into the future. it's good enough for stars after all!

the trouble is getting to it, but that's solvable. unless we just never get the chance.

Since you mention stars: if you have a viable fusion plant (we don't) you CAN get a lot more energy out via fusion than it takes to get hydrogen out of water, since you're not just reversing the same reaction.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    well poop. someday, though! there's plenty of hydrogen in the solar system and i can see it still being useful as fuel even into the future. it's good enough for stars after all!

the trouble is getting to it, but that's solvable. unless we just never get the chance.

Since you mention stars: if you have a viable fusion plant (we don't) you CAN get a lot more energy out via fusion than it takes to get hydrogen out of water, since you're not just reversing the same reaction.

But it would still be more efficient to use the energy created by fusion directly (or converted into electricity, to be more correct) than to use it to split water to then recombine the H2 and O2 into water again.

Hydrogen can be a viable means of storing energy, but never a viable way of creating it. (On Earth, anyway.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Helium has a similar issue, it’s so light that it floats to the top of the atmosphere where solar wind blows it off the planet.

I believe I read an article where helium is probably gonna get more expensive as the supply runs lower. I know of an anecdote where someone on these forums that I think is a chemist or something and they get pissed every time they see a helium filled balloon.

The helium price problem is an interesting one. A bunch of governments thought airships were the future of war, and started working on massive stockpiles. Then airships proved kinda garbage versus planes, and what do you do with all this helium? The US even created a time table to sell off the entire reserve, and doing that has kept prices far lower than the cost of capturing more, so the helium industry died years ago as demand is satisfied by strategic reserves being sold off. As those run out, there's no industry in place anymore, so helium will skyrocket.

If governments never stockpiled it (or just opened the valves and released what they did) helium would be worth a lot more than it is, but nowhere near as high as it's likely to get in the eventual absence of both stockpiles and production.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    I do wonder whether "conspiracy theorist" should be studied as a personality disorder. It ruins the lives of the afflicted and those they come in contact with as much as any narcissist or someone with borderline personality disorder.

It's covered by Paranoid Personality Disorder. There are also a bunch of psychotic disorders that cover delusions or whatever.

Its interesting, though, because that doesn't quite cover it. Certain conspiracy theories may originate in the mind of someone with PPD, but they turn it into a communicable disease. That susceptibility vector is distinct from what takes root in it.

The first and probably most important part of diagnosis (when it comes to laymen) is whether the person is in distress or their ability to function in society is impacted. After that it's based around finding out what is causing that distress or disruption.

Not everyone with a weird theory has a personality disorder, no matter how much someone might think they match the criteria for one. If they can still function normally, that's not a disorder, it's just people.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    big ass zeppelin-style mining rigs on jupiter

floating cities, sailing hundreds of miles above the precious liquid hydrogen that they mine

well that is one of the things in Jovian Chronicals the Rpg as they went into detail about how it was done

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Thermodynamics, the pooper of every party.

The speed of light being a universal speed limit is another.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Yeah, but that really only comes up when trying to setup galactic empires and stuff.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Helium is the one thing that actually leaves earth and is irreplaceable unless we do space travel or fusion. Everything else we use is actually recoverable, though it may be very hard. (Like if it ends up as parts per billion in the ocean). But at least it's still here on the planet.

And it's a real pain, because we need that stuff for science and medicine. It is liquid a few degrees above absolute zero to basically absolute zero, a property it shares with nothing in the universe. And that gets used, in large quantities, in superconductors. And those are in MRI machines (And their Chemistry equivalent, NMR machines).

Now luckily the worlds storage of Helium may be higher than previously thought. But it's still crazy to me that we still give it to kids and let it leave the earth forever, when we have essentially no way to replace it.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

*pushes up nerd glasses for pedantic reply*

Technically, it’s not about the speed of light, but the speed of causality. We just call it the speed of light because a photon’s upper speed limit in a vacuum just happens to be the speed of causality. The issue is that causality is constant in all mediums while light can be slowed down and even stopped and frozen depending on what medium it passes through.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Yeah, but that really only comes up when trying to setup galactic empires and stuff.

Or reducing ping times

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Helium is the one thing that actually leaves earth and is irreplaceable unless we do space travel or fusion. Everything else we use is actually recoverable, though it may be very hard. (Like if it ends up as parts per billion in the ocean). But at least it's still here on the planet.

And it's a real pain, because we need that stuff for science and medicine. It is liquid a few degrees above absolute zero to basically absolute zero, a property it shares with nothing in the universe. And that gets used, in large quantities, in superconductors. And those are in MRI machines (And their Chemistry equivalent, NMR machines).

Now luckily the worlds storage of Helium may be higher than previously thought. But it's st iunieill crazy to me that we still give it to kids and let it leave the earth forever, when we have essentially no way to replace it.

As someone who tried to warm up a sagging hidrogen ballon by exposing it to an open flame, I do kind of understand why we give it to children.

• Options
    Aim wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »

Now luckily the worlds storage of Helium may be higher than previously thought. But it's st iunieill crazy to me that we still give it to kids and let it leave the earth forever, when we have essentially no way to replace it.

As someone who tried to warm up a sagging hidrogen ballon by exposing it to an open flame, I do kind of understand why we give it to children.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sFYjVsV4r0Y

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Technically, it’s not about the speed of light, but the speed of causality. We just call it the speed of light because a photon’s upper speed limit in a vacuum just happens to be the speed of causality. The issue is that causality is constant in all mediums while light can be slowed down and even stopped and frozen depending on what medium it passes through.

*pushes up nerd glasses on nerd glasses*
    Technically the expansion of space is "faster" than the speed of light.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

*pushes up nerd glasses on nerd glasses*
    Technically the expansion of space is "faster" than the speed of light.

*opens nearby locker, points inside*
    Alright, both you. You know the drill.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    What about Nitrogen balloons? Theoretically you could try to weight the balloon material such that it holds its position in the air, which seems cooler to me than just, "It goes up."

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    What about Nitrogen balloons? Theoretically you could try to weight the balloon material such that it holds its position in the air, which seems cooler to me than just, "It goes up."

You mean neutral buoyancy in air? I think the issue with that is how little the difference is between air and nitrogen, only 3%. So it would take a very light material.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    For a typical sized balloon you would need he balloon material to weigh about 0.09g or less

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Cross post from election thread:
    Knight_ wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    (Parts of) Kentucky and Indiana are now closed

Here we gooooooooooooooo

"Hold onto your butts."

I was going to try an experiment tonight:. Total news blackout except #qanon on Twitter. Then see if I can even hash out who won, then compare to actual results tomorrow.

But I gave it a trial run last night and just got disappointed in the human race; possibly carbon-based life as a whole. Took about 5 minutes.

I think if you were looking at #qanon you were looking at mostly silicon based life.

Nah, still carbon based, but primarily acetic/ethanoic acid and distilled water, and would typically fall under the genera Summer's Eveus or Massingillia.

Bit of both, I'm sure. The last one I dug into did into certainly seemed like a sock puppet. For years it did nothing but tweet about a TV show when it was on, and not a political peep all through 2016. Then it goes silent 18 months and wakes up a full on qool-aid drinker when someone asks it if it supports Trump.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Speaking of the election, author William Gibson has helpfully provided a screen cap that will launch a thousand unhinged conspiracies.

Of a CNN anchor accidentally writing “666” on his election map.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Speaking of the election, author William Gibson has helpfully provided a screen cap that will launch a thousand unhinged conspiracies.

He was just trying to say that Ted Cruz is coming back
    He will return
    He will possess your body
    And make you burn

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Conspiracy twitter would have been amazing if Beto won.

"CNN casts satanic spell on Texas to steal the election on live TV!!!?!?!"

... On second thought, someone definitely would have lost their last shred of impulse control over that; perhaps it's for the best.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    If anyone has been wondering how Qanon is taking the day's events, its been good.

Per a reporter at The Daily Beast. Thread as follows

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Q was secretly G all along!

Alt post: Mr. Jenkins!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    It’s almost as if there’s really no grand conspiracy surrounding trump, and most of it is a confluence of ignorance, complacency and a few lesser conspiracies that aren’t sexy to go on and on about.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2007696549311352&id=100002130787783

Video of burned cars and vehicles on a California beach, guy is claiming people were fleeing and then gunned down with directed energy weapons.

It's an American Horror Story set that was abandoned when the crew evacuated.

• Options

Video of burned cars and vehicles on a California beach, guy is claiming people were fleeing and then gunned down with directed energy weapons.

To be fair, if you just stumble into that and there’s no-one around to tell you what’s going on, it’s not hard to let the imagination run rampant.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    My favorite part of that video is that he's listening to "The Final Countdown" during the whole thing.

Also, that reminds me of when I visited my old workplace last year and told my old boss about evacuating from a fire. She asked me if I thought "energy rays" were causing the fires. She's always been very prone to conspiracy theories. I did my best not to roll my eyes at her and mentioned how easily a fire can be sparked in such a dry area. A few weeks later they even determined the cause of the fire near me, which was a homeless camp's unattended fire.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

To be fair, if you just stumble into that and there’s no-one around to tell you what’s going on, it’s not hard to let the imagination run rampant.

I had read something similar happened when some tourists stumbled onto the beach set for Annihilation. There was some brief confusion and terror about serial killers before the tourists had it explained to them that a movie was being filmed there. Can't find the blurb now though.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jesus, that one would be horrifying

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Energy rays can easily start fires, though.

Just hold a focusing lens over some dry kindling on a sunny day or stick a fork in your microwave

It’s usually convection that spreads wildfires though

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    This makes me curious how many forest fires have been started by a kid goofing off with a magnifying glass.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Not necessarily intentional, but bottles that were thrown out as litter can act as magnifying glasses and start a fire.

Aim on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    One of our biggest forest fires in B.C. in the last 2 decades was caused by a squirrel misjudging his run along a power line.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

I had read something similar happened when some tourists stumbled onto the beach set for Annihilation. There was some brief confusion and terror about serial killers before the tourists had it explained to them that a movie was being filmed there. Can't find the blurb now though.

A few years back I was drinking on the quayside of Newcastle (NE England).

Newcastle is a city that underwent de-industrialisation; much of the quayside and surrounding areas were abandoned and dilapidated. There's been a lot of regeneration and gentrification, but there are still areas of abandonment.

Anyway, we're on a work away day on a river cruise, then once that's over we go to a pub on the quayside. After spending all afternoon drinking we decide to head away from the river to another pub.

This takes us through a bit of a run down area of warehouses waiting to be turned into flats.

It was there in our inebriated states that we managed to accidently wander into one of those zombie chase events where you pay actors to dress up as zombies and run after you.

Was a bit of a surprise to say the least

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    One of our biggest forest fires in B.C. in the last 2 decades was caused by a squirrel misjudging his run along a power line.

that's what the squirrels want us to think.

• Options

that's what the squirrels want us to think.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MziwbQv9zQ0

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Do you want to spend the next three hours of your life watching a fringe Catholic Biblical literalist geocentrist argue with a fringe Evangelical Biblical literalist flat earther? No, you don't, but I'm embedding the video anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9SRA_Awhbc

Alternately, the runtime of The English Patient is within ten seconds of this video. Which one will you regret more?

Hevach on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    QAnon is popular enough for a sheriff who got to hang out with Pence to have a QAnon patch. The WH tweeted out a photo with it visible.

Rightwingwatch writer

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What is that crossed axe and sickle badge? I'm willing to bet its some sort of "Anglo pride" bullshit.

This discussion has been closed.