As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Shot of Ice & Fire: Book Five (Routes are up in the OP)

EtaoinEtaoin South Barcrawl Lead, Omeganaut S16TexasRegistered User regular
edited January 2019 in PAX South
10j60od5y3d3.png

Welcome to A Shot of Ice & Fire: Book Five, otherwise known as the Fifth Annual PAX South pre-PAX Community bar crawl!

In staying with PAX tradition, the Thursday evening prior to PAX will see a huge group of us crawling through the San Antonio Riverwalk, drinking, making friends, and raising money for Child's Play. There will be houses. There will be drinking challenges. There will be sigils. Be prepared, because PAX South is coming.

This event is strictly 21+. Facebook pages are listed under each house. Twitter: @PAXIceandFire #paxsouthbarcrawl

Prologue
In this frozen moment you flash through what you have just wielded and have yet to forge this night. Amidst your companions of valor, you seize the moment and take the challenge, for the honor of your house, for your glory in battle…

Through hill and dale, through rain and fog you and your companions push on. Challenge after challenge you are overcome with the haze of battle…your memory will flicker…you can barely piece yourself together, but know you have brought honor to house and can proudly bear your sigil.

Your skull rings with fire from your quest…and it was good...

What This Is
Welcome to the PAX South version of the PrePAX bar crawl. You may have attended one of the other PrePAX bar crawls: The Triwizard Drinking Tournament or the Pokecrawl. Or, if this is your first PAX, maybe not. In any case, this is a bar crawl. A Game of Thrones-themed bar crawl designed to get you drunk and meet fellow PAXers, all while raising money for the Child’s Play charity. This means we will ask you for donations. There will probably be cool things auctioned off. Don’t be stingy - bring some extra cash and think of the children.

This event will be held in and around the San Antonio Riverwalk. Registration with your House will start at 7:00 and each team will move to their first challenge bar at 8:00. Every hour, you will go forth to a new bar and a new house to humiliate with your elite drinking skills. All bars will be walking distance to each other. We come as a group, and leave as a group, so don’t try to get left behind!

How Does it Work?
When you arrive at the first bar, your Lord or Lady and his noblemen will check you in (see below for registration details). You will receive a registration card with some very important stuff on it. You will also receive six buttons with your house sigil upon them. At each bar, you will single out the weakest member of the opposing house and challenge them to a duel. Once you have completed the duel (and hopefully bested them), take their house sigil as a sign of your superiority. And then give them one of yours, just to be nice. Your goal will be to collect all six sigils to show the world that you rule the seven kingdoms…..or just that you have a liver made of Valyrian Steel.

How To Participate
Follow the link below.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-shot-of-ice-fire-book-5-tickets-53492899703

You will be able to register yourself and a +1. Any duplicate registrations will be deleted, so don’t try to fool us. When registration opens, it will not have a wait-list due to the functionality of Eventbrite. Any cancellations or spots that open up will immediately go back into the pool. You will need to bring a printout of your registration confirmation or have it available on your smart device when you check in at your first bar. We will ask that everyone donate at least $10 for Child's Play to receive the scorecard and house buttons. Please note that the minimum donation has been raised this year.

How Do I Win?
There's really no winning, per se. This is pretty much a fun, drunken night out with fellow nerds. But for those of you who do manage to conquer all of your foes and collect their sigils, there will be a button confirming the fact that you have lived through Book Five. We're also raising money for Child's Play, so bring some extra cash and for the love of the Gods old and new, think of the children.

The House that raises the most will be declared the most bestest house ever (at least for this year) and will have bragging rights going into Book Six.

We're always accepting volunteer spots as noble helpers or Wardens (sober assists) - it requires herding your brethren from one bar to the next, and making sure we don't lose any of our bannermen along the way. This is a great option for those that don’t feel like waking up hungover on Friday, but still like the energy and social spirit of the crawl. We prefer our volunteers mostly sober. Sober-ish. Ok, not falling down. Please PM Etaoin if you're interested in assisting.

Tips & Tricks
Don't Be a Dick: First and foremost, don't do anything that's going to embarrass yourself or anyone else. Especially since alcohol is going to be involved you're going to want to leave your asshole pants at home.

Know Your Limit: The only person who knows your alcohol tolerance is you. There's nothing worse than an overindulged drunk so don't be that guy or girl. If someone notices that you're getting sloppy, you're already past the point of no return. You should probably stop drinking when someone points out to you that you're peeing on a bar stool.

Leave No Housemate Behind: We arrive as a group and leave as a group. If someone has to be That Guy/Gal who gets so wasted that they think they're actually Jamie Lannister, it's the responsibility of the crawl as a whole to ensure this person makes it safely back to their hotel. Use the buddy system, handcuff yourselves to each other, whatever. No one is to vomit in a bus terminal by themselves. Not this night, at least.

Respect the Head of House and their Assistants: Anyone designated as a House noble for the crawl isn't there just to direct you to the next bar; they're there to make sure everyone's having a good time and that everything runs smoothly. They're there to keep everyone moving and to stop people from jumping up on the bar and dropping trou. If one asks you to stop picking bar fights with Tom Cruise, it might be a good idea to do so.

HAVE FUN: This is the most important guideline of all: Have fun! We're all on vacation and we're drinking with fellow nerds so let's enjoy it. Keeping ourselves fairly reasonable for the evening will make it a good time for everyone.

Reminders:
You must have a print out of your confirmation email or have it available on your smart phone.
You MUST provide your full name during the registration process, forum handle is optional.
You MUST be over the age of 21. No minors allowed. This is a bar crawl, please don't bring your children.
Attendees are limited to registering for 2 tickets (Yourself +1)
If you harass people on the forums or the team Facebook pages, you will be removed from the crawl, and your ticket will go back into the pool.
Duplicate/multiple orders, orders containing more than 1 ticket type, and otherwise suspicious orders will be cancelled. If you have an issue with registration please contact me immediately.

The Houses

House Targaryen

zk8w0far3ucd.png

Lady Etaoin
Septon Aldrea

7:00 – Registration at The Davenport Lounge
8:00 – Agave Bar vs Baratheon
9:00 – On The Rocks vs Lannister
10:00 – Ticket Sports Pub vs Stark
11:00 – Pat O’Brians vs Wildlings
12:00 – Bar 414 vs Night’s Watch
1:00 – Buckhorn Saloon with all Houses

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1579313982281104/

House Stark

1sd0rc1ebexz.png

Lady Samantha
Septon Marlene
Warden TBD

Route:
7:00 – Registration at On the Rocks
8:00 – Bar 414 vs Lannister
9:00 – The Buckhorn vs Wildlings
10:00 – Ticket Sports Pub vs Targaryen
11:00 – Agave Bar vs Night’s Watch
12:00 – Pat O’Brians vs Baratheon

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1565184373696493/

House Lannister

3dm1ihd3fpei.png

Lord Sheep Have Wool
Maester Susannah
Septon Samantha

7:00 – Registration at Bar 414
8:00 – Bar 414 vs Stark
9:00 – On the Rocks vs Targaryen
10:00 – Pat O’Brians vs Night’s Watch
11:00 – The Buckhorn vs Baratheon
12:00 – The Davenport vs Wildlings

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/388961264604587/

House Baratheon

z1uzt445d3y8.png

Lord Sera123k
Maester Matt
Septon Ricky
Warden Travis

Route:
7:00 – Registration at Ticket Sports Pub
8:00 – Agave Bar vs Targaryen
9:00 – The Davenport vs Night’s Watch
10:00 – On the Rocks Pub vs Wildlings
11:00 – The Buckhorn vs Lannister
12:00 – Pat O’Brians vs Stark

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/415499315269537/

The Night's Watch

ydvfh79ulrsy.png

Lord Animal
Maester Winyder
Warden TBD

Route:
7:00 – Registration at The Buckhorn Saloon
8:00 – Ticket Sports Pub vs Wildlings
9:00 – The Davenport vs Baratheon
10:00 – Pat O’Brians vs Lannister
11:00 – Agave Bar vs Stark
12:00 – Bar 414 vs Targaryen

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1589570317930641/

The Wildlings

pkvwyqe33i91.png

Spearbearer Adritha
Master of Bones TBD
Freeman TBD

Route:
7:00 – Registration at Agave Bar
8:00 – Ticket Sports Pub vs Night’s Watch
9:00 – The Buckhorn vs Stark
10:00 – On the Rocks Pub vs Baratheon
11:00 – Pat O’Brians vs Targaryen
12:00 – The Davenport vs Lannister

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/392395164269657/

The Challenges
qx1r9cfaf1y1.jpg

7paDBmR.png
Etaoin on

• jhdelkjhdelk Registered User new member
    I don't know if I'm looking at the post wrong, but I can't find the sign up link. Is it available now or not until closer to the event?

• Animal-_-Animal-_- Registered User regular
    jhdelk wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm looking at the post wrong, but I can't find the sign up link. Is it available now or not until closer to the event?

It's not available yet, I'm sure the OP will be updated when it is.

uBoT4dK.jpg
  • EtaoinEtaoin South Barcrawl Lead, Omeganaut S16 TexasRegistered User regular
    We open up registration about a month before the event.

7paDBmR.png
    edited December 2018
    Smvo92x.jpg

It's almost that time again brothers and sisters of the Night's Watch. Time to show the other houses of Westeros that Crows have the strongest livers in all the seven kingdoms!

Hi, my name is Matt aka Animal and I will be your Lord Commander for the pre-PAX South pub crawl this year. I've been a regular crawl member here in SA (I'm a local) for the last 4 years with a different house so I have a good idea how the event flows and I'm really excited for the chance to step up to a larger role and help raise a ton of money again for Child's Play.

Being a crawl vet, I understand that some houses have yearly traditions they've upheld such as activities (like inducting a person into the Watch) or particular items sold/auctioned that are unique to this house. I want to respect those traditions so I'm calling out to previous crawlers of the Night's Watch (hopefully returning as well) to inform me of some of those things so I can hopefully continue on with what's brought you back to this house each year.

Another thing that stands out from previous years is that there are some super creative people on this crawl who amazingly donate that talent to make items that we can sell or auction for the charity drive. I'd love to hear from anyone who would be interested in helping out in that way (here or our FB group) so the Night's Watch can once again stand above the other houses. This is a competition after all. ;)

Thanks for listening and being Night's Watch members, I can't wait to hear from you and to see you all in January.

Night's Watch FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1589570317930641/

Animal-_- on
    uBoT4dK.jpg
    A few updates -
    1.Registration opens December 20th at 9am cst. Reminder - You are limited to reserving 2 tickets. I personally check each order as it comes in to make sure that no one is getting tricky.
    2.We are still looking for volunteers to fill out the ranks of The Wildlings, House Stark and The Night's Watch. Volunteers are the amazing folks that make the crawl a reality (and you might get free access to snacks and swag)

If you have any issues/questions/extra bourbon laying around please contact me here or @Etaoin or @PAXIceandFire on Twitter

7paDBmR.png
    edited December 2018
    Let's do this!

Animal-_- on
    uBoT4dK.jpg
  • AdrithaAdritha Registered User new member
    edited December 2018
    Calling all Free Folk! It is time once again to unite and raise a drink (and money) for the children!

I’m Jennifer (aka Adritha) and I will be your Spearbearer for this year’s crawl. I have served the Wildlings as Master of Bones the last couple of years, and am excited to take up the lead mantle of this great group of people.

While this crawl is always fun and filled with drink, it is still a charity fundraiser. Remember to bring cash for goodies and donations. If anyone has any crafty skills or fun items they are willing to donate to the auctions, please reach out to me either here or through the Facebook group. Together, we can make this crawl amazing, and rise above those Southern kneelers (in terms of money raised).

We are the Wildlings, and we don't kneel for anyone beyond the Wall!

Signed up as a Wilding? Join your fellow Free Folk on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/groups/392395164269657/

Never heard of Child’s Play? We must fix that! https://www.childsplaycharity.org/

Adritha on
  • Sheep Have WoolSheep Have Wool Registered User regular
    House Lannister welcomes back all of our Lords and Ladies, and we look forward to greeting our newest members. We've got another year of awesome swag and surprises this year, especially for those who open their purses for charity.

We look forward to seeing everyone in less than a month!

ie60vn3z6xdb.jpg

13 days left to register and the Houses are filling up fast! Challenges have been added to the OP.

7paDBmR.png
    2 houses full, with a 3rd close behind. Don't wait until the last minute!

uBoT4dK.jpg
    One more spot open for the Night's Watch!

uBoT4dK.jpg
  • HopieHopie Miss Enforcer TexasRegistered User regular
    Exactly how do the challenges work? I’m new to the crawl, so I’m a bit confused.

edited January 2019
    Hopie wrote: »
    Exactly how do the challenges work? I’m new to the crawl, so I’m a bit confused.
    When you show up at your first bar to sign in (with just your house), your house lead will hand you a card with your house sigil on one side and the challenge instructions on the other, as well as a bag of 6 pins with your house sigil on them. When you arrive at a bar with each successive house you can hold up your sigil card to identify each other as opposing teams. Then just pick someone (or someones, for those group sign ups), introduce yourselves, and head to the bar to buy your drinks. When you finish your drinks exchange one of your pins with your new friend to prove you completed the challenge.

After doing your challenge I highly suggest visiting the house leads at each bar to see what sort of cool themed swag they're selling to maximize your drinking/charity giving ratio. Some of us will be cosplaying too, so lots of picture opportunities* while perusing our wares.

*Donations for pictures will not be turned down

Animal-_- on
    uBoT4dK.jpg
  • CurvyKittyKatCurvyKittyKat Registered User regular
    Just signed up as part of The Wildlings! This is my first time out, coming solo and a introvert so hoping it all goes well. I mean I will be surrounded by fellow nerds and alcohol, so I would figure so :)

• HopieHopie Miss Enforcer TexasRegistered User regular
    Animal-_- wrote: »
    When you show up at your first bar to sign in (with just your house), your house lead will hand you a card with your house sigil on one side and the challenge instructions on the other, as well as a bag of 6 pins with your house sigil on them. When you arrive at a bar with each successive house you can hold up your sigil card to identify each other as opposing teams. Then just pick someone (or someones, for those group sign ups), introduce yourselves, and head to the bar to buy your drinks. When you finish your drinks exchange one of your pins with your new friend to prove you completed the challenge.

After doing your challenge I highly suggest visiting the house leads at each bar to see what sort of cool themed swag they're selling to maximize your drinking/charity giving ratio. Some of us will be cosplaying too, so lots of picture opportunities* while perusing our wares.

So how much money should I bring for drinks on average?

edited January 2019

Drinks should be reasonable, I don't remember any of the bars being pricey but I don't drink in bars that often so I'm not the best person to ask about that.

Animal-_- on
    uBoT4dK.jpg
  • DvlDvl Registered User regular

According to the challenges:
    Etaoin wrote: »
    The Challenges
    qx1r9cfaf1y1.jpg

Challenge 1 involves 1 drink per person
    Challenge 2: 1 drink
    Challenge 3: 1 drink
    Challenge 4: 3 drinks
    Challenge 5: 1 drink
    Challenge 6: 0 drinks (water!)

Meaning that the nominal participant will purchase 7 drinks throughout the night. Assuming $6 per drink (a conservative estimate) and a 20% tip to your bartenders, that's about 50 bucks. You'll also need a 10 dollar donation to start the night out and get your badges, plus extra to donate for handmade swag made by each house. I can't put an upper bound on how much extra to bring for this because it all goes to charity; spending money towards donations on this crawl is one of the few things in life that you can't have too much of. Plus, the swag you get is always, always awesome!

If this is seeming like a bit much, keep in mind that the amount you drink is up to you; everyone has their own tolerances. You can switch back and forth from water at any point in the crawl to save your wallet and your head from hurting the next day.

MITHvp5.png
  • CurvyKittyKatCurvyKittyKat Registered User regular
    My travel plans changed and won't make it till very late Thursday night, there is now a spot available in the Wildlings. Y'all have fun!